Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Just get a set of 12-string, uh, strings and then throw out the bigger strings or save them for another acoustic. Ta-da

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sockington posted:

:canada: the land of taxes and markup

I usually order a half dozen sets off an eBay seller with free shipping. We only have one guitar shop in town and they price things accordingly. :(

Yeah, in general it's a good idea to have at least one spare set at all times, and to replace that rather than having to wait to buy a new set whenever you break a string.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Just got my Line 6 POD HD500...Holy poo poo, I need to dedicate some time to learning how to use this thing. My Fishman TriplePlay midi pickup also came in, but my PRS 7 string isn't coming in until tomorrow :f5:

Oh well, it's still really fun to play around with the Carnatic mandolin. drat, it feels good to play again :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Kind of random, but I thought that the free Silvertone felt really light (plywood body) so I tossed them on the scale.

1969 Teisco/Silvertone: 5 lbs 13.15oz
2012 Vintage Modified Telecaster: 7 lbs 10.80oz
2000 Fender Mexican Fat-Strat: 8 lbs 1.25oz

It feels so weird to pickup after the other two (which in turn felt light to the Epiphone I got rid of).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
2011 Xaviere JT-90, 'Telemaster', 7 lb, 7 ounces.
2011 Xaviere XV-585 'Chambered Les Paul', 6 pounds, 3 ounces.

Basically, you want to use yer tele as the beating club in a fight, it'll hit better and it won't have trem problems after.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I'm trying to learn this cool little groove here (acoustic version of C2C's "Down the Road": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zO5EMmuBA#t=44s , I can figure out the scaling stuff by ear but I'm having trouble finding the chords. Anyone good at picking out things like that want to give a crack at it? All I've been able to surmise is that it's in G minor (and even that could be wrong)...

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I don't own any acoustics whatsoever, but I keep meaning to do Nashville tuning on my First Act Garagemaster. I think I'll do that this coming week

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WaveLength posted:

I'm trying to learn this cool little groove here (acoustic version of C2C's "Down the Road": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zO5EMmuBA#t=44s , I can figure out the scaling stuff by ear but I'm having trouble finding the chords. Anyone good at picking out things like that want to give a crack at it? All I've been able to surmise is that it's in G minor (and even that could be wrong)...

Kind of has a funky feel on it, you could swing your right hand arm with 16ths to get a better feel for the groove. Does sound like drop 2 voicing minor 7th chords there, not sure of the root note/key (but you said G and that's what I thought too).

A minor 7th drop 2 voicing: (Move down 2 frets to get Gminor7)

-----------x------------
-----------x------------
-----------5------------
-----------5------------
-----------x------------
-----------5------------

So kind of strum through there with confidence, and muting the other strings with left hand, to really make all 3 notes pop and have force. It really is the kind of thing where a missed note (open string ringing out accidentaly) or 2 won't break you completely, but playing with good feel is what will make it sound good.

Also make sure to pop those bass notes, by angling the pick so that it goes underneath the string, and brings the string up and the slams it down onto the fretboard (to get that percussive bass note pop you here the awesome guitar player doing in the song). You could try something cool as a fill like going --0-1-2-3-- on the low E string with percussive pops, before the chord shots, to get that chromatic funky feel.

This is all by ear and my 1 minute analysis, so don't take my word for it.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 22, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Well, the PRS 7 string came in and after mangling its bridge pickup cover thing, I was able to fit a Fishman TriplePlay in there. Coming from an Axon AX50+Godin xtSA, the MIDI tracking is incredible.

http://i.imgur.com/NCFsRlVh.jpg

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

fookolt posted:

Well, the PRS 7 string came in and after mangling its bridge pickup cover thing, I was able to fit a Fishman TriplePlay in there. Coming from an Axon AX50+Godin xtSA, the MIDI tracking is incredible.

http://i.imgur.com/NCFsRlVh.jpg

Neato. Any clips of you MIDIing?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Picked up a Kustom KGA10FX practice amp yesterday, some minor problems with excessive volume and background interference depending on what else is connected to the power outlet but the sound quality is pretty good on it's own. Connected to the G5 it's amazing for the price, put my heavy rhythm patch on with a Noise Gate, Chorus and Krank Revo-1.

Ended up playing for nearly two hours before I noticed the time. Only wish I could play better than random power/barre chords to do it some justice.

Fredescu
Jun 19, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Haha, almost Australia. I'm not even sure anywhere around here sells single strings. I've just got to have some free time to get a pack. I know you're meant to have a few spare but I like to live dangerously.

These guys have pretty good prices and free shipping: http://www.artistguitars.com.au/shop/accessories/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/140702 . I haven't tried their home brand strings but maybe they're worth a shot if you're strapped for cash.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

I got myself a Whammy pedal and a wah-wah on Friday and holy poo poo the Whammy is the most fun pedal I've used. I love when everything sounds broken.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yet another wiring question. Will this work with concentric pots for a Quadbucker and is there any problem with putting the pots before a switch? Overall goal is two Quadbuckers and an scoil in between with five independent volume controls and a standard 5-way switch.

• [1] Bridge Quad only.
  • [2] Bridge and Middle.
  • [3] All on.
  • [4] Middle and Neck
  • [5] Neck Quad only.

The switch probably isn't required but it'll help to lock certain pups to "off" when adjusting in the middle of playing.

I think the white and black need to be swapped but just to be clear with wiring separately like this, Green and White are Hot while Black and Red are Ground?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Could y'all help me figure out what this horrible loving buzzing sound is? (ignore the bad playing, this recording is when i noticed the problem)

https://soundcloud.com/chillmatica/guitar

It's more noticeable during some chords than others, and I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. I'm plugged straight into my audio interface, no effects except for a bit of reverb (it's the same even completely dry). No clipping or red lines as far as I can see, but that's really what it sounds like to me.

Could this be a problem with the pickup or wiring? I have a feeling I'll end up having to take it somewhere and have 'em look at it, but ugh.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Could it be your speakers? I'm not hearing any buzzing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chillmatic posted:

Could y'all help me figure out what this horrible loving buzzing sound is? (ignore the bad playing, this recording is when i noticed the problem)

It's more noticeable during some chords than others, and I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. I'm plugged straight into my audio interface, no effects except for a bit of reverb (it's the same even completely dry). No clipping or red lines as far as I can see, but that's really what it sounds like to me.

Could this be a problem with the pickup or wiring? I have a feeling I'll end up having to take it somewhere and have 'em look at it, but ugh.

There's no buzzing. Your guitar actually sounds quite nice.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Yeah, seems like you might have a ripped cone or something, because it comes through sounding quite nice for me.

On another note, any hybrid pickers on here? I'm starting lessons today after ~5 years of teaching myself and picking stuff up from friends. One of my goals is hybrid picking, because it's really drat cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone tell me about the current line of Gibson SGs. I'm thinking of getting one soon and I'm curious as to what you guys know about the quality of them.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Someone tell me about the current line of Gibson SGs. I'm thinking of getting one soon and I'm curious as to what you guys know about the quality of them.

Gibson USA has been making nice instruments for a while now. The quality issues of the '70's, for example, don't exist anymore.

However, like all of their guitars, Gibson makes about a zillion different versions of the SG, limited only by how much money you feel like spending.

All new Gibson USA guitars are Plek finished, Gibson stock humbuckers are pretty good these days, whereas I think their P90s are too hot, but otherwise, there's not much to say.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TopherCStone posted:

Yeah, seems like you might have a ripped cone or something, because it comes through sounding quite nice for me.

On another note, any hybrid pickers on here? I'm starting lessons today after ~5 years of teaching myself and picking stuff up from friends. One of my goals is hybrid picking, because it's really drat cool

You mean like using both a pick and your fingers with the same hand?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Francostein posted:

You mean like using both a pick and your fingers with the same hand?

Yeah, either a thumpick and fleshy fingers or a flatpick and fleshy fingers

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chillmatic posted:

Do you like at 0:45 and the last strum? It gets a bit boomy, if you EQ a notch around the 300Hz area you might be able to tame it (best way is to boost a narrow peak, loop the boomy part and sweep the boost up and down until it gets real bad. Then cut that frequency a bit with a wide notch until it sounds better.

That might just be my crappy earbuds though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TopherCStone posted:

Yeah, either a thumpick and fleshy fingers or a flatpick and fleshy fingers

Seemed gimmicky to me so I never officially learned it. but I do admit its kinda a cool thing to learn. However I did accidentally teach myself how to do it thanks to the opening in Hallowed Be Thy Name, the clean part in Powerslave, and other maiden songs. However that's just quickly switching from finger picking to picking so I don't know if it counts.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'll tell you about models you can find in stores. Custom shop/Sig models are roughly the same as others just with various appointments, like lightning bolts on the Angus model.

I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the new Gibson SG Standard is the same spec as the previous few years model called the SG '61 (quick look at MF corroborates). This is actually pretty awesome because you get the better neck pocket, you get 57 classic pups, '61 style neck, and the Heritage Cherry finish along with others and it's Standard pricing instead of the inflated '61 pricing. The Standard also comes with a Minitune and Coil Split option. Though it looks like all the models with the coil tap have the less desirable neck pocket. No idea why.

The SG Original is similar but comes with a Lyre and probably has nibbed frets, but that comes at an increase in price.

The Les Paul Custom SG is an SG with a richlite fingerboard but with the typical Gibson Custom appointments, split diamond headstock, etc.

The Tribute Models are all similar, minus pick up configuration, and the Future has Banjo Style tuners. They have a cheap "satin" finish on them. Some come with p90s, most come with humbuckers. I had a p90 version that was great, but it has the thicker neck pocket which I wasn't a fan of.

There are no Junior/Special models at the moment, but they're usually stripped down, lacking binding, pup covers, etc.

I think all SGs come with the small pickguard now, which is my preference.

In the past year I've owned a Jeff Tweedy, SG Faded, SG 60s Tribute P90, and a 2013 SG Standard with Coil Tap. All except for the coil tap are discontinued. The Tweedy is my favorite of the bunch. Unfinished neck, Burstbuckers, lyre. The Faded was a good guitar for the money and had 490 pups which were a little too hot for my tastes.

Anything specific you'd like to know? How much are you wanting to spend?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 24, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

The Tweedy SG is fairly expensive, isn't it?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What exactly is richlite? It's what happens when Customs confiscates all your wood, right?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

What exactly is richlite? It's what happens when Customs confiscates all your wood, right?

It's like composite countertop material. Very hard, should be resistant to warping and wearing compared to wood.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

TopherCStone posted:

Neato. Any clips of you MIDIing?

I'll post something in a little bit :)

This is probably a silly question, but is there any way to make the guitar strap pin less stabby into my leg? I like to play classical guitar style with a foot stool even with my electric, but that drat thing is killing my right leg. I'd remove it but it's also the thing holding the Fishman MIDI control unit onto the guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Put on a Dimarzio Clip-lock strap. Put it on for many reasons, but this one is one of many.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

muike posted:

Put on a Dimarzio Clip-lock strap. Put it on for many reasons, but this one is one of many.

After dismembering my bridge pickup mount to get the midi pickup to fit, this sounds suspiciously too easy. Thanks.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Alternatively just pad up some sponge and tape it on there or something

e: heading out to my lesson! I've never been this excited about learning

TopherCStone fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 25, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

The Tweedy SG is fairly expensive, isn't it?

1800 I think.

I almost sold it for a Zappa SG but changed my mind.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Wow I took my guitars into a local repair shop for "setups" and they sound 100x better and are easier to play. I highly recommend it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
How much did it cost each?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Not to answer for him, but a setup shouldn't cost a ton, a complete setup from the best luthier in Birmingham runs about $75.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
$60 for an acoustic and $75 for an electric.

http://www.13thstreetguitars.com/ if you're in Orange County.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

beergod posted:

$60 for an acoustic and $75 for an electric.

http://www.13thstreetguitars.com/ if you're in Orange County.

What about LA?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Burn it to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

beergod posted: