Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

delta534 posted:

It is likely Project Nevada Rebalance. It makes changes to sneaking to make it harder, but can be reversed with an option in its menu.

I can confirm that even with Stealth Profile AI set to "Harder" the only ones that notice you are actual enemies, marked as red.

Also the Brotherhood, for some reason. (Turrets?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oops, yeah, I should mention only enemies go into alert state not regular NPC's.

I fiddled with PN's stealth options and nothing fixed it.

:v: Yeah, I'm thinking it's a vanilla problem as opposed to a mod problem. I haven't played NV in ages but I remember stealth kind of being a pain due to enemies getting really antsy the moment you killed someone no matter where and how quiet. Anyone know of mods that alter stealth AI besides PN?

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

:v: Yeah, I'm thinking it's a vanilla problem as opposed to a mod problem. I haven't played NV in ages but I remember stealth kind of being a pain due to enemies getting really antsy the moment you killed someone no matter where and how quiet. Anyone know of mods that alter stealth AI besides PN?

Well, in the defense of Bethesda, when someone next to me drops dead I normally go "wow what the gently caress" and start pacing around, since a lot of people die next to me, from gunshot wounds.

That said I have no excuse for not suspecting the suspicious man in a cowboy hat with a power fist/silenced gun.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Phimose Knight posted:

Well, in the defense of Bethesda, when someone next to me drops dead I normally go "wow what the gently caress" and start pacing around, since a lot of people die next to me, from gunshot wounds.

That said I have no excuse for not suspecting the suspicious man in a cowboy hat with a power fist/silenced gun.

That's not my issue though, the issue I have it that I killed a raider with a baseball bat in the bathrooms at the Super-Duper Mart and everyone near the locked door and computer near the back went into cautious state and started to explore.

Scared the hell out of me when I left the bathrooms and everyone wanted my blood. Same thing happened at the schools near Megaton.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Oops, yeah, I should mention only enemies go into alert state not regular NPC's.

I fiddled with PN's stealth options and nothing fixed it.

You've got NVEC Complete? I would guess that's the cause. One of the mods incorporated into it is Responsive Kill Reactions, which was ported from F3 to FNV by Puce Moose. It causes enemies to react to dead bodies a lot more cautiously.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Renditious posted:

You've got NVEC Complete? I would guess that's the cause. One of the mods incorporated into it is Responsive Kill Reactions, which was ported from F3 to FNV by Puce Moose. It causes enemies to react to dead bodies a lot more cautiously.

Aha, that's it. Thank you!

I like the idea of it but it seems way too glitchy or the effect is too wide. I've had enemies crawl all over the map just to walk straight to a dead body. Is there a way to lessen the area of effect or outright disable it?

*edit* Found some console commands from Puce Moose that lessens the detection distance of bodies. All's working great now.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 23, 2013

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Build is currently stable, playing with Imaginator light settings. It was fun hunting down my first bounty, the ex-ranger sniper, and sneaking up on him and sniping him as he was backlit by his own fire. But when I got back to where I left my backpack, it had disappeared. Turns out it's a known bug for that particular one to disappear on fast travel.

Is there another mod that adds the same functionality but doesn't pull that nasty trick? And I see two carryweight reduction mods - any recommendation for either, or a mod that includes it among other tweaks?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Saint Sputnik posted:

Is there another mod that adds the same functionality but doesn't pull that nasty trick? And I see two carryweight reduction mods - any recommendation for either, or a mod that includes it among other tweaks?

JE Sawyer's mod reduces the default (5 STR) carry weight to 100 and also does a lot of other rebalancing things.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

thehumandignity posted:

JE Sawyer's mod reduces the default (5 STR) carry weight to 100 and also does a lot of other rebalancing things.

I've been meaning to try Sawyer's, but I've noticed enough mods have to release versions that won't conflict that I suspect a lot of others I'm using will conflict.

How about mods that add more cowboy rifles? I've based more characters around La Longue Carabine than I can count, so I'm hungry for something that overloads me with rolling blocks, Sharps and 1855 revolving Colts like that cowboy mod for Mount and Blade.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Load JSawyer before all your other mods. Make merged patch. Let your higher up mods overwrite Jsawyer's changes if need be.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Ugh FNV Plugin kind of really really sucks. Just spent a few hours merging things together and finishing off problems before realizing the merged plugins are absolutely littered with bad formids from the merge :suicide:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are you merging together? FNVedit should be able to handle most of that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
efb

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

I finally hit the point where I have Too Many Mods and New Vegas wouldn't even load, so I wanted to merge together stuff like all the Armory esps into one plugin. FNVEdit can create an additional patch to resolve conflicts but so far as I can tell can't merge multiple mods into one automatically. Could do it by hand but :effort: and why try when something does it for you, right?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Is there a way to use FNVedit or any other program to find missing masters?

I'm crashing on startup and I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted a master but I can't find who is missing a master.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

If you are missing a master, FNVEdit will choke trying to load that mod and tell you what master is missing and, if you look in the log window, what mod it is that's missing the master.

If FNVEdit loads fine with all your mods, you probably have too many welcome aboard :toot:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

If you are missing a master, FNVEdit will choke trying to load that mod and tell you what master is missing and, if you look in the log window, what mod it is that's missing the master.

If FNVEdit loads fine with all your mods, you probably have too many welcome aboard :toot:

I'd kinda like to see this gigantic load order of yours. I don't think I've ever loaded more than 50 plugins at once.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

It's actually not that exciting, mostly either small mods that do very specific things or big mods that are divided into several files. More Perks was the straw that broke the camel's back, it's like nine files altogether. This order needs organized better because it reads like a bit of a clusterfuck without being clearly divided into categories but loads without a hitch and most everything runs perfectly fine (there's a few new things I need to try out that might go bye bye if they're bad, like New Vegas Trade Center and Deserter's Fortress).

And it's not even that many mods. I guess the theoretical limit is 255 but someone on the Nexus was talking about there being a magic number below that which varies from computer to computer and past that you'll have the exact same symptoms I had, and disabling a few arbitrary files then reenabling them and disabling some others to make sure they really were arbitrary, sure enough...

e: As a sidenote, I think More Traits is the best mod for traits, some of them are dumb but at least they're creative, I'll never understand trait mods that add traits like "-1 to Agility +1 to Charisma", like why wouldn't you just do that at the Vigor Tester

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 23, 2013

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is there a way to use FNVedit or any other program to find missing masters?

I'm crashing on startup and I'm pretty sure I accidentally deleted a master but I can't find who is missing a master.

If you are using FOMM, selecting an .esm or .esp will display it's masters in the bottom window. It won't find the problem for you, but you can at least look without too much hassle.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Well the problem emerged after I deactivated about twenty different mods that had no effect on FO3 content in the hopes it would improve stability some. Then I added Portable Tent and its been crashing on startup ever since, even after I got rid of Portable Tent.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I don't know what lighting mod to get, but I'm thinking of just going for Nevada Skies??? Too many choices :(

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 23, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I've been using NVEC - New Vegas Enhanced Content and am really enjoying it. It has Jsawyer's mod integrated in it. It even works with Tale of Two wastelands and Project Nevada. You just need this compatibility mod.

I'm using it with TTW and am blown away with how well it works. Since TWW is alpha I figured it would screw something up but it's surprisingly stable.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Well the problem emerged after I deactivated about twenty different mods that had no effect on FO3 content in the hopes it would improve stability some. Then I added Portable Tent and its been crashing on startup ever since, even after I got rid of Portable Tent.

Did you try playing the game between removing all those mods and putting in the Portable Tent? The tent mod may not have anything to do with your issues at all. Your theory that you accidentally deleted a master is probably correct. The only way to tell would be to see your load order AND everything each active plugin depends on, which while simple for you to see with FOMM, doesn't easily translate to something you can just post here on the forums for us to look at.

Open up FOMM, then highlight each ESM and ESP one at a time, and make sure any required masters are still above it in your load order.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Farecoal posted:

I don't know what lighting mod to get, but I'm thinking of just going for Nevada Skies??? Too many choices :(

I like Nevada Skies and this ENB.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot
I've gotten to the point where the game begins to stutter after running for a while. My saves are about 20MB. Is there a save-bloat issue here? Or is it something else?

Sunny Dove
Mar 22, 2013
Am I the only person that can't stand ENB because of the flashing when you open and close containers and other menus? Not to mention, Dxtory can't hook to record when you've got ENB active. ENB shaders are just not for me.

Edit:

Wooph posted:

I've gotten to the point where the game begins to stutter after running for a while. My saves are about 20MB. Is there a save-bloat issue here? Or is it something else?
My save files are 12MB after 90 hours of gameplay and I have 130ish plugins. It wouldn't hurt to clean your save file with a utility.

Sunny Dove fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 25, 2013

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Tried playing through some of Beyond Boulder Dome last night.

Bleh.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Now that I have invisible walls turned off I was able to walk south of the Mojave Outpost and holy poo poo, that's a lot of unused land. Is there anything good that makes use of it? The Mojave has gotten to feel a mite small after all these hundreds of hours.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Saint Sputnik posted:

Now that I have invisible walls turned off I was able to walk south of the Mojave Outpost and holy poo poo, that's a lot of unused land. Is there anything good that makes use of it? The Mojave has gotten to feel a mite small after all these hundreds of hours.

Yeah, there's a couple mods that open up the unused areas, check out the "New Lands" category on the Nexus. Can't vouch for their quality, but the screens look pretty decent.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So, I just installed TTW, and for some reason the menu won't show up for about twenty seconds. I mean, I love the backround art and I consider myself a patient man, but I'm still not that patient. Anyone know a way to quicken it up? I only have the default .esm's for TTW enabled.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Kumaton posted:

So, I just installed TTW, and for some reason the menu won't show up for about twenty seconds. I mean, I love the backround art and I consider myself a patient man, but I'm still not that patient. Anyone know a way to quicken it up? I only have the default .esm's for TTW enabled.

Only an extra 20 seconds? I'm Jealous. The menu won't appear until the game is completely loaded, i.e. all the .ESMs and .ESPs, all the .BSA archives, etc. Loading up everything for FO3 with all of its DLCs in addition to everything for NV takes time.

As I understand it, all .BSAs in the directory are read at game start, regardless of whether they are being actively used or not. If you have any .BSAs from mods you aren't using sitting in your data folder, getting rid of them might shave off a little time. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the intro music. It's just the cost of loading two games worth of content.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 26, 2013

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Hobo on Fire posted:

Only an extra 20 seconds? I'm Jealous. The menu won't appear until the game is completely loaded, i.e. all the .ESMs and .ESPs, all the .BSA archives, etc. Loading up everything for FO3 with all of its DLCs in addition to everything for NV takes time. ...It's just the cost of loading two games worth of content.

Never figured that loading more data would make the game load longer. :doh:
One last question. I've noticed that the .22 revolvers carried by the raiders and the first-person models of the Assault Rifle end up as that lovely red exclamation point. Apparently it's caused by WMX and I need to rename the .nif's located in the BSA. How would I go about doing that?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Kumaton posted:

Never figured that loading more data would make the game load longer. :doh:
One last question. I've noticed that the .22 revolvers carried by the raiders and the first-person models of the Assault Rifle end up as that lovely red exclamation point. Apparently it's caused by WMX and I need to rename the .nif's located in the BSA. How would I go about doing that?

FOMM has a BSA browser under 'tools' you can use to extract the .NIFs. Rename them and leave the .NIF in the same filepath in your mesh folder; anything in the data subfolders will override files in a BSA.

Wooph
Oct 28, 2010

by angerbot

Sunny Dove posted:

My save files are 12MB after 90 hours of gameplay and I have 130ish plugins. It wouldn't hurt to clean your save file with a utility.

What utility do you use to clean a save file? I checked out Wrye Flash but couldn't find any options related to save file cleaning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I open up New Vegas and

:stare:

And then night rolls around and

:stonk:

edit: This is not a graphics card problem, as it turns out. Somehow my Nevada Skies install corrupted itself and made this crazy poo poo happen. (my first clue was that the effect only happened at sunset :v:)

edit: Okay, so it is NOT a Nevada Skies issue. I have absolutely no idea how I made this happen or how I fixed it, then.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2013

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

CJacobs posted:

edit: This is not a graphics card problem, as it turns out. Somehow my Nevada Skies install corrupted itself and made this crazy poo poo happen. (my first clue was that the effect only happened at sunset :v:)

edit: Okay, so it is NOT a Nevada Skies issue. I have absolutely no idea how I made this happen or how I fixed it, then.

Looks like a bad texture file? I've seen corrupted .DDS images look like that.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

This is actually really rad. I would run a mod like this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CJacobs posted:

Okay, so it is NOT a Nevada Skies issue. I have absolutely no idea how I made this happen or how I fixed it, then.

If it worked on previous drivers, roll back.

AMD graphics drivers have been kinda dire lately. (Then again, even nVidia drivers aren't great right now, but that's probably because of new card release syndrome and also it's probably not relevant to your problem.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was in fact a driver issue, thank you. I automatically update to the newest drivers whenever they come out, and AMD released a beta driver recently that for some reason wreaks havoc on Fallout 3 and NV for me. So hey, download the newest beta driver if you're into glitching-out matrix skylines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

CJacobs posted:

The sky above the Mojave was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel...