Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VanSandman posted:

What were the battle fleet gothic books named again?

Execution Hour and Shadow Point, by Gordon Rennie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Well, I'm out of Black Library books now. I've read most of the Horus Heresy stuff that isn't really, really crappy, I've read Gaunt's Ghosts twice. I've read Eisenhorn's series, Ravenor's series, and Pariah. I've read The Emperor's Gift twice. Read through the Cain series, and everything Abnett wrote except for Space Marine and some of the stuff published in 2001. Read

I even read Gunheads, Titanicus, Fifteen Hours, Imperial Glory, 13th Legion, Wrath of Iron and Battle of the Fang.

From what I'm seeing, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot left out there I haven't read. Does that seem about right? Well, at least that isn't by really crappy writers or is a short story.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

it just means not hitting the exact same plot beats ten books in a row.

The flash books do this as well though - the repetitiveness is part of the point. I agree with you that the Cain books lack some of the charm of flash in that you never get sick of reading exactly the same plot structure over and over as McDonald Fraser was a wonderful author, which cannot be said of Mitchell but they're still pretty good. The Perlia ones in particular are some of the very few BL books that I've kept after reading rather than given to a charity shop

Edit: the inquisition war books! Man read them next

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

SquadronROE posted:

Well, I'm out of Black Library books now. I've read most of the Horus Heresy stuff that isn't really, really crappy, I've read Gaunt's Ghosts twice. I've read Eisenhorn's series, Ravenor's series, and Pariah. I've read The Emperor's Gift twice. Read through the Cain series, and everything Abnett wrote except for Space Marine and some of the stuff published in 2001. Read

I even read Gunheads, Titanicus, Fifteen Hours, Imperial Glory, 13th Legion, Wrath of Iron and Battle of the Fang.

From what I'm seeing, it doesn't look like there's a whole lot left out there I haven't read. Does that seem about right? Well, at least that isn't by really crappy writers or is a short story.

Did you read everything ADB wrote? Helsreach and the Night Lords Trilogy are excellent.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Samopsa posted:

Did you read everything ADB wrote? Helsreach and the Night Lords Trilogy are excellent.

I read Helsreach but not the Night Lords Trilogy. What's the name of one of them, for reference?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker, in that order. They're really excellent books, up there with Abnett's best.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I read Helsreach but not the Night Lords Trilogy. What's the name of one of them, for reference?

Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker. Bad names, good books.

e:fb

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Looks like I have 3 more to read! Thanks, thread!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Looks like I have 3 more to read! Thanks, thread!

I'd also highly recommend Atlas Infernal and Legion of the Damned by Rob Sanders. They're delightfully weird. Cadian Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is another good one, though not quite as tight as his later stuff.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I did read Cadian Blood. It was pretty fun, I loved the characterization of Cadians presented there.

I'll check out Legion of the Damned.

Also, I never read an account of Isstvan V. Has no one written about it yet?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I did read Cadian Blood. It was pretty fun, I loved the characterization of Cadians presented there.

I'll check out Legion of the Damned.

Also, I never read an account of Isstvan V. Has no one written about it yet?

The Drop Site Massacre features heavily in Fulgrim, The First Heretic, and the Raven's Flight audiobook.

Fulgrim and The First Heretic are great reads if you haven't gotten to them yet.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SquadronROE posted:

I liked Fire Caste, a fairly recent book.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Since we're suggesting ADB's stuff, try out Betrayer. It's really good and gives a very intense image of the early heresy on all levels: the Primarchs choosing sides, the mortal elite crew dealing with the fact that they are in rebellion (Ship captains and Titan crews), Dreadnoughts waking up and discovering that their legion is at war with the Imperium they spent decades building, and how much one can sacrifice for their ideals (or spite) without going against everything they value.

I wish this book had a follow-up, because the characters are very good. Lotara is just brilliant, and both Kargos Bloodspitter and Vel-Kheredar are surprisingly funny in the ways 40k allows.

It has also left some loose ends that need tying. Cyrene's fate is left a mystery, which is odd since she was such a huge presence in the mind of one of the main characters. Sadly not developed enough, too: it would be interesting to see how someone so sensible and seemingly well-intentioned could preach the faith she did.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Betrayer directly follows in the sequence of The First Heretic > Aurelian > Know No Fear > Betrayer. Of course, there will be follow up books that build on that. As for Cyrene, she started before things went really full frontal Chaos.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nephilm posted:

Betrayer directly follows in the sequence of The First Heretic > Aurelian > Know No Fear > Betrayer. Of course, there will be follow up books that build on that. As for Cyrene, she started before things went really full frontal Chaos.

Good phrase. Also remember she believed in the divinity of the Big E first, and from her perspective he betrayed her faith and left her blind. She doesn't seem to be chaos worshipper like Erebus or Lorgar, really.
Has there been any discussion on what's going to happen when the series finally reaches the Siege of the Imperial Palace? I hope we get at least a trilogy out of the affair. ADB and Abnett and Wraight would be my choice of authors.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They are going to milk the hell out of the Siege of Terra.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Eagerly awaiting Gav Thorpe's The Bloody Angel at Eternity Gate.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Azubah posted:

They are going to milk the hell out of the Siege of Terra.

From every point of view. Just getting through the gates is going to be like 8 books.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

EyeRChris posted:

From every point of view. Just getting through the gates is going to be like 8 books.

The Eternity Gate :colbert: They'll end up making a whole book out of the Emperor and Sanguinius roaming around Horus's flagship with other points of view like Roboute.

Come to think of it, it must be really loving scary for any chaos worshipper on that ship with the loving Emperor roaming around that place solo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
God I hope they continue with the 'never see what the Emperor is thinking' rule they've got.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Looking forward to Master of Mankind by ADB.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Demiurge4 posted:

The Eternity Gate :colbert: They'll end up making a whole book out of the Emperor and Sanguinius roaming around Horus's flagship with other points of view like Roboute.

Come to think of it, it must be really loving scary for any chaos worshipper on that ship with the loving Emperor roaming around that place solo.

VanSandman posted:

God I hope they continue with the 'never see what the Emperor is thinking' rule they've got.

400 pages of random Chaos chumps on board the Vengeful Spirit suddenly dying before they knew what hit them. Nothing from the Emperor's perspective, just "Gordonor looked up from his console. Suddenly, his head exploded in a maelstrom of psychic energy," over and over.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I bet it would be awesome too.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Demiurge4 posted:

Is this the way to the bridge, Sanguinius?

I don't loving know we've been at this for an hour. Why don't we stop and ask for directions?

Son, I am NOT asking for directions! I'm going to find Horus myself!

Whatever, dad... :rolleyes:

I'd read it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The intro blurb in the W40K rulebook says the Emperor is "master of mankind by the will of the gods." Which "gods"?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
The Chaos Gods. He's the least threat to them if he's stuck as a corpse. When he was alive he was loving Chaos up making an atheistic empire, and when he dies he'll also wreck Chaos by being a gigantic psychic presence in the Warp that was fed for 10000 years with the souls of other psychics. Right now he's stuck in purgatory.

The intro is also pretty old, I guess

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Looking forward to Master of Mankind by ADB.

Eh, there's no chance it's going to be anything but someone being Watson for an extended period around him. The best we can hope for is that there's a Malcador POV in it since we didn't into his head The Sigillite. I'm sure it will be great in any event, but yeah.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Arbite posted:

Eh, there's no chance it's going to be anything but someone being Watson for an extended period around him. The best we can hope for is that there's a Malcador POV in it since we didn't into his head The Sigillite. I'm sure it will be great in any event, but yeah.

Can you even write a book from the perspective of the Emperor? If you stick to the source material, it would seems so completely alien and foreign to your average reader. It's a bit hard for even the spergest warham to related to the collective reincarnation of a group of (kind of)immortal shamans that acted as the equivalent of a benevolent illuminati in guiding humanity's growth.

Besides given that it's ADB, the title of Master of Mankind could probably be attributed to a number of characters in the book.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They could portray the Emperor as multiple personalities and shift the point of view between them. Most of them would be off in the warp watching poo poo and your POV would occasionally commune with the rest for guidance? Most of his attention is on the golden throne and his work in the webway so it's not inconceivable ADB would just use a minor aspect of his personality acting as a caretaker for the physical body as the POV.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I'd really like to see if there will be an explanation for Keeler's miracle in the first set of HH books. Does the Emperor really protect?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Kegslayer posted:

Besides given that it's ADB, the title of Master of Mankind could probably be attributed to a number of characters in the book.

Nooooooooooooope.

ADB posted:

However, to business. First, incredulity.

Is that a real question? You’re asking if a novel called The Master of Mankind would be about Horus?

I want to hate you for that, but I’ve only got myself to blame by doing titles like The First Heretic and Betrayer – titles which apply to several characters in the novels they represent. So, okay, you win this round.

But, no.

Jesus, no.

It’d be about the Master of Mankind, as in the Emperor of Man. I mean, seriously, I’m trying to be obvious for once.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kegslayer posted:

Can you even write a book from the perspective of the Emperor? If you stick to the source material, it would seems so completely alien and foreign to your average reader. It's a bit hard for even the spergest warham to related to the collective reincarnation of a group of (kind of)immortal shamans that acted as the equivalent of a benevolent illuminati in guiding humanity's growth.

ADB has confirmed it is the Big E, and that we will not get anything from the Emperor's point of view. His response to that latter question was "do you think I'm stupid?"

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Baron Bifford posted:

The intro blurb in the W40K rulebook says the Emperor is "master of mankind by the will of the gods." Which "gods"?

Poetic license, the Imperium doesn't acknowledge any gods other than the Emperor. Unless you're on a feral or feudal world, in which case he might be the senior-most of a pantheon.
Like Dracneir said, the intro text is really old.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've been flipping through the 6th edition Tau Codex, and it seems the Tau are looking a little less sinister than they did in previous codexes. I don't read any references to sterilization or concentration camps. Is this the case?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
That wasn't in the previous codex either, because they had almost no fluff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baron Bifford posted:

Honestly I see the Tau race not as misfits but as a missed opportunity. Games Workshop decided W40K needed an optimistic race because the grimdark gets really stupid when you have 15-year olds screaming FOR THE EMPRAH and WAAAGH! all the time. They came off initially as the United Federation of Planets in the 41st millenium, which many players didn't like. I think none of the writers knew what they were supposed to do with these guys, so they are steadily making them as grimdark as everybody else.

They're the only remotely reasonable people in the galaxy, so they are born to be its stand-up comics, if the Orks are the clowns.
You seem to consistently not "get" what they're doing here.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm not saying Cain should be handed to a different writer, just that Mitchell is a really boring one.
TBH man, CAIN is the bad writer here. Mitchell's other books are completely different in tone. The old WHFRP series was awesome.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've read the Gaunt's Ghosts series up until Sabbat Worlds (which is filler from what I gather.) I have Blood Pact and Salvation's Reach on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I have enjoyed the series, Abnett's rushed endings, favorite characters dying and all - but I've gotten bored of reading a series where Chaos is the only enemy the IG face.

Are there any good BL books which pit the Tyrannids VS the IG? Any bad books with that line up?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The first Ciaphas Cain book, For the Emperor, fits your requirement. I think it's the best Cain book because the novelty hasn't worn off yet (it did for me after the first omnibus). Later books where Tyranids are involved too are Duty Calls and The Greater Good.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't there a Steel Legion/Death Korps novel where they fight Tyranids?

EDIT: Or maybe it was Tallarn troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colgrim
Jul 23, 2009
Has anybody read "The Macharius Crusade" books yet? I just finished "Fist of Demetrius" and I found it to be quite good. Probably some of William King's best work. The first book of the trilogy, "Angel of Fire", isn't quite as good but still a good read. Does anybody know if they are ever going to print the audio dramas?
"Angel Exterminatus" by Graham McNeill is fairly interesting as well. It's about Perturabo.