Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Genocyber posted:

When will people learn not to listen to trickster gods. They're always the biggest assholes.

Yeah, basically. Coyote's like that rear end in a top hat genie where when you wish for a million dollars he dumps gold bars on you that crush you to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

I guess Coyotes changing iris in the middle could be an indication that he might have some sort of godlike suggestive power and I've seen his eyes changing like that elsewhere but can't quite remember where.
They also turn completely white when he uses his powers to steal the moon or pluck memories from Ysengrins brain.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Is there any significance to Renard also being called Reynardine? Hetty calls him Reynardine, and I don't think he's been called that for quite a while. It looks like Eglamore, Anja, Donald and others associated with the Court call him Reynardine. However, this isn't entirely consistent. During Spring-Heeled, Part II, the security personnel call him Renard. The beginning of Fire Spike shows that Surma was the first to call him Reynardine. Annie used to call him Reynardine, then used both names, sometimes within the same conversation, but now she calls him Renard, which is his original name and the one that Coyote uses. When Renard first appeared, he introduced himself as Reynardine. He probably took to the name because Surma gave it to him. So who told the Court that Renard also went by Reynardine? Was it Surma, as part of the plot to capture him, or was it Renard himself?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's a nickname Surma gave him, taken an old ballad about a werefox that abducted young women.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

No parallels there, no siree.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Is there any significance to Renard also being called Reynardine? Hetty calls him Reynardine, and I don't think he's been called that for quite a while. It looks like Eglamore, Anja, Donald and others associated with the Court call him Reynardine. However, this isn't entirely consistent. During Spring-Heeled, Part II, the security personnel call him Renard. The beginning of Fire Spike shows that Surma was the first to call him Reynardine. Annie used to call him Reynardine, then used both names, sometimes within the same conversation, but now she calls him Renard, which is his original name and the one that Coyote uses. When Renard first appeared, he introduced himself as Reynardine. He probably took to the name because Surma gave it to him. So who told the Court that Renard also went by Reynardine? Was it Surma, as part of the plot to capture him, or was it Renard himself?

It wouldn't surprise me if Renard took on the moniker/persona of Renardine the demon to distance himself from his actions. People seem to use whichever name best suits the nature/timeframe of their relationship with him. I.e. Anja, Donald, Eggers, etc. use Renardine because they knew him best as the body-stealing demon, whereas Coyote knew him before that and uses Renards. Annie shifts from his introduction as Renardine the demon to Renard her friend. That's my guess at least?

Anyway this revelation casts even more doubt on several of Coyote's statements. For example, he 'cried' at hearing that Renard was captured and tricked*, but also that he knew it was a trick. Now we know that he pushed Renard into the trap himself! Coyote wanted Renard to be captured. Why? Does he have a plan, or did he just want to see what would happen? He's manipulating Ysengrin, so is this a ploy too?

Not really related and not really important, but I've been tinkering with the idea that Coyote did know that Eglamore was not Annie's father, but played dumb just so he could force Eggers to admit it.

*with the latest comic, could we think that he cried out in the triumph of his own trick on Renard?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Perhaps he intended to teach Reynardine a lesson, but didn't expect Annie coming into the picture. But Coyote always has a new plan!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think it's pretty safe to assume that Coyote is not going to require motivation beyond "I wanted to see what would happen" or "it was bound to be hilarious!". Sure he might have multiple irons in the fire but sometimes a trickster just wants to trick a guy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mazerunner posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if Renard took on the moniker/persona of Renardine the demon to distance himself from his actions. People seem to use whichever name best suits the nature/timeframe of their relationship with him. I.e. Anja, Donald, Eggers, etc. use Renardine because they knew him best as the body-stealing demon, whereas Coyote knew him before that and uses Renards. Annie shifts from his introduction as Renardine the demon to Renard her friend. That's my guess at least?

Anyway this revelation casts even more doubt on several of Coyote's statements. For example, he 'cried' at hearing that Renard was captured and tricked*, but also that he knew it was a trick. Now we know that he pushed Renard into the trap himself! Coyote wanted Renard to be captured. Why? Does he have a plan, or did he just want to see what would happen? He's manipulating Ysengrin, so is this a ploy too?

My interpretation is that he wanted Renard to (ab)use the power he granted him, but did not forsee Renard becoming captured by the Court. The plan originally was probably for Renard to cause havoc and heartbreak at the Court (while keeping Coyote's paws clean of any direct involvement), which will also successfully alienate Renard from Surma, who we know was trying to seduce Renard on behalf of the Court. Therefore, Renard learns an important lesson about those horrible humans, Coyote gets to ride roughshod over whatever prior agreement he has with the Court, break the balance of power and get to have fun.

What went wrong was that the Court was substantially stronger than he had figured. While Renard damaged the Court greviously (especially resulting in the loss of the Court's dragon), the court managed to contain and capture Renard, and by extension the power that Coyote granted him. This was what made Coyote 'cry', because the end result is that the Court took one of his toys away.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Jon Joe posted:

I guess Jones doesn't count lies by omission, because "you cannot be sure that will happen" is 100% true minus the fact he didn't add "but I am 100% sure it will!"

The term is "equivocation." A statement that is technically true, but is intended to mislead by omission and/or interpretation.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Fangz posted:

This was what made Coyote 'cry', because the end result is that the Court took one of his toys away.
That's a good interpretation. I like that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RabidWeasel posted:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Coyote is not going to require motivation beyond "I wanted to see what would happen" or "it was bound to be hilarious!". Sure he might have multiple irons in the fire but sometimes a trickster just wants to trick a guy.

Not just tricking a guy but tricking another trickster! What could be better!?

Fangz posted:

While Renard damaged the Court greviously (especially resulting in the loss of the Court's dragon), the court managed to contain and capture Renard, and by extension the power that Coyote granted him.

You best watch your words if you feel particularly attached to your limbs. :colbert:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
e: Awful app being awful.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I just re-read The Fangs of Summertime starting from that linked page (it is a law of the universe to re-read linked chapters, it seems), and noticed this line that Coyote whispers to Annie when he invites her to the Forest:

"You cannot trust the people of this place. Come visit me in my forest where we may talk. No harm will come to you, I swear it."

I initially thought "You cannot trust the people of this place" was a warning, but it was actually an observation. Annie couldn't bring herself to trust people at the Court (or anyone, really, even with Kat she kept parts of herself hidden), and Coyote noticed.

It is super obvious, but I didn't catch it the first time or in any previous re-read, so it's a nice detail. I love how this comic keeps showing more new details every time you read it. That takes some crazy planning.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Coyote never lies but he has no problem letting you come to your own conclusion, pretty classic trickster stuff.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If you laugh hard enough, you start to cry. I think this is probably why Coyote cried when he heard about Renard getting captured.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rasamune posted:

:siren: ANNIE IN THE FOREST PART ONE IS NOW ON SALE :siren:

poo poo, I still have the two copies I bought for goons in the thread, sorry guys.

End my your addresses and I'll get them shipped tomorrow or Wednesday.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I am kind of starting to understand why the Court threw Jeanne under the bus like they did.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's totally impossible to read just one strip, isn't it? Today's binge taught me that, for whatever reason, Coyote never mentions Annie by her real name (although he tries twice).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
I don't think Reynard being captured was part if Coyote's plan. He probably wanted him to go to the Court, and for him to use the power given to him. Becoming alienated from humanity may have been part of the plan as well.

As for crying, Coyote's mood is hardly stable. I can picture poor Ysengrin trying to cope with a suddenly distraught Coyote hanging on his shoulder. Until a new thought crosses Coyote's mind, of course.

Hexlotl
Nov 6, 2012
And naturally, Coyote lied to Annie about this. Trying to drive a wedge between her and Renard? Lucky for Annie, she has Kat to set her straight.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hexlotl posted:

And naturally, Coyote lied to Annie about this. Trying to drive a wedge between her and Renard? Lucky for Annie, she has Kat to set her straight.

Except he never lied. It's a bit roundabout, but nothing he said can be proven false.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Kennel posted:

It's totally impossible to read just one strip, isn't it? Today's binge taught me that, for whatever reason, Coyote never mentions Annie by her real name (although he tries twice).

I've wondered about that. He calls Surma (at least when talking about her), Ysengrin and Renard by name, but everyone else is just nicknames.

Also, more deception! He never said that Annie would learn to control her inner feelings by staying in the forest. No wonder she came back wilder.

Now I have to go and re-read the entire comic and wonder just how much Coyote messed with everyone all the time. :psyduck:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

isasphere posted:

Now I have to go and re-read the entire comic and wonder just how much Coyote messed with everyone all the time. :psyduck:

The answer is always "the largest amount he can".

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

Fatkraken posted:

poo poo, I still have the two copies I bought for goons in the thread, sorry guys.

End my your addresses and I'll get them shipped tomorrow or Wednesday.

Oooh, was one of those for me? <hopeful eyelash flutter> Did you try emailing me? Gmail can be such a buttock about nuking random emails as 'spam' that I get antsy. If I was one of the goons you were thinking of could you let me know your email so's I can either add you to my whitelist or message you or something :)

(crosses fingers and hopes she hasn't just made a complete prat of herself)

(I should really just cough up for PMs sometime, shouldn't I?)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ok, how many definitive statements has Coyote made? I can think of one, so far.
1. I DO NOT EXIST!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

It bugs me how he says "it is agreed by I".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!
Hmm, just reading on from that point:

- This is the curse of man! He is forever deceived by his mind! It causes him to not see a stone when it is just a stone.

That last bit is interesting considering what Jones latter says about herself. Actually, one of the things Coyote lists as humans seeing instead is "the shape of a woman."

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Coyote is just one big ball of id. He doesn't care about stirring up hornets nests because angry hornets are interesting and he's immortal. When you don't actually care about judging the outcome of an action and just appreciate action in of itself you can do any number of terrible things and have a great time.

I can't ever really blame him for how he treats people but I'm never really sure if I actually like him.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 25, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LooseLeafTea posted:

Oooh, was one of those for me? <hopeful eyelash flutter> Did you try emailing me? Gmail can be such a buttock about nuking random emails as 'spam' that I get antsy. If I was one of the goons you were thinking of could you let me know your email so's I can either add you to my whitelist or message you or something :)

(crosses fingers and hopes she hasn't just made a complete prat of herself)

(I should really just cough up for PMs sometime, shouldn't I?)

It was indeed!

My email is :colbert: (will redact after you confirm you've seen this), I just need your address, I'll poke you for payment over email

the other goon was Tuxedo Ted, but they have PMs

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 25, 2013

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

Fatkraken posted:

It was indeed!

My email is <email> (will redact after you confirm you've seen this), I just need your address, I'll poke you for payment over email

the other goon was Tuxedo Ted, but they have PMs

Woohoo! :neckbeard:

Email noted and sent :)

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Re-reading the comic for the billionth time, and it's the fist time I noticed Jeanne making a comment about Parley's kick in this comic http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=779p ... but I can't quite make out the last word... looks like fille?

Just looked it up... fille - noun - a young woman. Thanks Tom! You entertain *and* educate!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yo, Tea-San.

Being now (finally) the proud owner of some walls, I would like to obtain lovely art to hang upon them. I'm specifically interested in a Coyote print of this sort of nature: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdc5mzCinP1qhu04go6_1280.jpg - are you likely to be selling such things any time soon? If not, what's your take on commissions?

I don't have PMs, but if you need to contact me privately drop me a line iamthespaceinvader at gmail dot com

Keep being awesome and such.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

bouncyman posted:

Re-reading the comic for the billionth time, and it's the fist time I noticed Jeanne making a comment about Parley's kick in this comic http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=779p ... but I can't quite make out the last word... looks like fille?

Just looked it up... fille - noun - a young woman. Thanks Tom! You entertain *and* educate!

It's the french word for girl, yes. I never even notice Jeanne spoke on this panel. :psyduck:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Hetty is such a dick.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.
actually hetty owns

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Heh, well that's it for the reminiscing I guess. Thanks for keeping us on track Hetty!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Laser Cow posted:

Hetty is such a dick.

AntimatterSpork posted:

actually hetty owns

Both true.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Hettie's been there, done that, got the possessed toy body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Renard you're lookin' pretty darn creepy there buddy.

Actually, check out those nails. He's looking downright terrifying.

Same with the dudes from the Court. I've always liked how there's bits where Tom depicts people from the Court, like Anja and Donald in the central panel thing in this one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=106

they're like big, scary, terrifying things that want to EAT YOU or something. Even though we know they're great people. To Renard right then, and to other people at other times, they are probably terrifying.

Like it must be similar in some ways to how little micey dudes see the scientist dudes looming over them when they are gettin studied or whatever.