Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

tyvek is waterproof, disposable and marginally more comfortable to wear on your body than neoprene or latex. that is its only advantage. the reason they make tyvek suits is so that hazmat teams can clean up biohazardous fluids without having to zip up into a literal rubber suit

so i guess the shoes are good for when you are frequently walking through ankle-deep blood, but not often enough to buy rubber boots?

they should make it from beryllium copper so that it is strong and lightweight & also toxic as poo poo so they all poison themselves and die

when it comes to dealing with biohazard stuff, disposable is king

I churn through a heap of chemicals and disposable syringes, brushes, gloves and gowns because endoscopes can have terrible things on them even though 95% of them come in sterilized from a hospital

were even starting to get into disposable endoscopic cameras, which basically broadcast video to a belt attachment you wear and then poop out and don't worry about fishing through crap to retrieve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this is kind of neat but a stirling engine is probably better and does not cost 1.3 million dollars.

Professor Ethan Rips, Princeton Astrophysics professor posted:

Every place in every part of the Universe is a point, having no mass and taking up no space. An infinite number of points exist along any given finite line. We scribble notes furiously.

“They have no diameter, weight or mass” she continues , “they just serve as a reference point for our mathematical and scientific formulas"

She was about to move on to the meat of the lesson when there was an arm raised from Alan Tuck.

“If it exists it must take up space, and if it takes up space there can't possibly be an infinite number of them on a finite line. "There is no place in the known universe where nothing exists," his eager little mind argued. "and I can prove it."

What followed began the most amazing clash of minds and wills I could ever have the pleasure to witness

it's me, I'm the princeton astrophysics professor that does not understand what a datum is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
pretty sure it's alan ruck and not the princeton astrophysics professor who thinks that???

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

chumpchous posted:

pretty sure it's alan ruck and not the princeton astrophysics professor who thinks that???

Nice try Mrs Speed, professor Ethan Rips (lol) said that it was the most amazing debate he'd ever heard.

~*~*~*~*Frozen lasers*~*~*~*~

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

frozen lasers would be a sweet assassin weapon, just put a cube of it on someone's head and it'll blast through them as it melts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

leaving no trace of the laser behind :aaaaa:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

or just knife them in the head with a knife

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
and the knife blade is made of frozen laser

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

or copper

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

no that's for assassinating trees

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
copper would be an awful assassination tool because the patina on copper is unique to its owner. might as well kill them with a giant finger print

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

kickstart my copper/lead blackjack/knife

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

dude you need to learn some special relativity

Sagebrush posted:

oh i missed this. you're stupid, the change cannot propagate any faster than the speed of light, period, and in reality the change will propagate at the speed of sound in the material the rod is made of. if you were able to watch it in slow motion the rod would actually twist up like a fireplace poker

please get owned

tia :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

did you read the 4th line where stephen hawking goes "oh, actually no, an infinitely long iron dick isn't the one special case that violates causality dumbass"

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
can we stop talking about my penis for a second, this is getting embarrasing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ha ha stephen hawking made fun of your penus

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that thing cant exist for reasons that are totally different from why a really long stick cant be used to poke people on the other side of the galaxy instantaneously (#1 cant exist because stehpen king said so, #2 cant exist because of wave propagation)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ok that's fancier than what I thought you meant but basically theres no reason to think that a mathematical abstraction of infinite mass in general relativity yields something physically meaningful any more than a proof that 0=1 based on dividing both sides by zero is mathematically meaningful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chumpchous posted:

that thing cant exist for reasons that are totally different from why a really long stick cant be used to poke people on the other side of the galaxy instantaneously (#1 cant exist because stehpen king said so, #2 cant exist because of wave propagation)

#2 can't exist for both reasons actually, just that wave propagation supersedes the causality violation

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chumpchous posted:

i think it's true if the rod has infinite mass because if it has infinite mass who knows, anything goes at that point

if the rod has infinite mass then it would require an infinite amount of torque to spin it or move it, making the whole situation moot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read his paper and the rod also has to spin at infinite rpm so i don't know what the gently caress he was thinking claiming this as A Thing That Is.

"my paper proves that time travel is not impossible! that is, in the case that we also have figured out how to do half a dozen other things that are by definition impossible. publish meeeee"

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
proof by MAGIC!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

you can do some really cool things with a cpu capable of infinite computation in finite time. like make a ruby vm thats faster than c

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
UMPOSSIBLE

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

you can do some really cool things with a cpu capable of infinite computation in finite time. like make a ruby vm thats faster than c

sorry man, even in a universe that allows infinite mass, energy, space and time ruby is still gonna loving suck, some things are just that constant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a universe that allows infinite mass

ah, there's the universe for me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

the thing on the back unpacks into a harness

oh my loving god :lol:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

somewhere out there there is a guy who makes his living painting pictures of pickup trucks and he's really mad he has to get all new business cards with "pickup artist" changed to something else

Legitimate Pape
Sep 6, 2012

by T. Finninho

none taken

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

a ruby vm thats faster than c

don't come to sciencechat with your hocus pocus voodoo

K9
May 6, 2007

Proteus4994 posted:

proof by MAGIC!

reductio ad ownage

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Nomnom Cookie posted:

isnt most of the ruby slowness due to startup time etc, like once you get over that it's not so bad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

K9 posted:

reductio ad ownage

reductio ad ratio unus victoriam uber

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ugh zombies are so '00s

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh wow it's still the 00s, thank god

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

what no it isnt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well zombies are still in vogue so according to u it must be

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

somewhere out there there is a guy who makes his living painting pictures of pickup trucks and he's really mad he has to get all new business cards with "pickup artist" changed to something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
yes, yessss, put loving zombies everywhere on everything forever, everything that is possible must be done, every niche must be filled to the brim, there is no other way, only by realizing every possible state of matter can we archieve perfection. a million bottle openers glistening in the light of a dying sun, i have tasted the fruit

• Locked thread