Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Geirskogul posted:

This is impossible on many stock devices, as the search bar cannot be removed on them.
It can with Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher.

Geirskogul posted:

You also cannot disable them, only "remove updates" and return the ago to a prior version.
Once you select "Uninstall updates", that option then changes to "Disable".

Geirskogul posted:

You need root to disable them properly.
Really? "Disable" has worked for me everytime I've used it. There are some core system apps that can't be disabled (the option is grayed out) but Google Search is not one of them.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Woah - settle down. Not everyone (me) is at your level of expertise.
I understand that. What I'm complaining about is the suggestions that you should root, or that it's even necessary, to resolve your issues. Especially given that you're not well versed in what rooting a device actually entails, and you've already admitted that your only interest in doing so is to preserve battery life, and that you may very-well end up selling the device so you want to ensure that you can sell it in an unmodified condition.

berzerkmonkey posted:

1. Why? If I have a shitload of crappy Sprint apps hanging in the background, how is removing them not going to help my battery life? Please explain.
Most of those apps aren't actively doing anything and so don't serve as significant contributions to reduced battery life. Just "being there", even as background processes, isn't a problem unless the app is specifically designed to wake up at frequent intervals to poll for location updates or stuff. Those that do you can "Disable" without rooting.

berzerkmonkey posted:

2. Again, why? If all it is doing is granting root privileges, how does it affect the factory image in (I am assuming) a protected partition? I ask this because if I apply a factory reset to my phone now, I drop back to the original Android build of my phone.
Rooting the device necessarilly involves modifying /system, which is the protected factory image partition. A "Factory data reset" only clears /data. Rooting the device is a change that persists across a factory reset, as is any stock apps that you use a root program to remove. This is why Disabling them is better, since that doesn't modify the protection partition, and doesn't persist across a factory reset.

Apologies if I was being harsh earlier, but you were being told multiple pieces of wrong information and I didn't want you to jump in and do something irreversible to your device without exploring alternatives or being sufficiently versed in what rooting actually entails.

I mean, sure, you can root the device and restore it to stock later, but it requires that you flash CWM with Odin and making a CWM backup before installing Superuser (or doing anything else), or (as mentioned earlier) locating a stock image and flashing that with Odin. Neither is particularly difficult, but the E4GT is notorious for being bricked by older recovery versions (be careful!) and flashing images through Odin, while generally safe, is not totally without risk either.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I didn't know it takes sacrificing a goat to root a E4GT.
Nah, just sacrificing an E4GT. :v:

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stevie Lee posted:

It's pretty much a tie between the One and the S4. I went with the One and haven't looked back.

Comes down to looks/front facing speakers or a battery you can pull and a sd card slot. I went with the GS4 for the latter reasons and couldn't be happier. It's really personal preference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Fighting over rooting phones is stupid, even for the sprint thread where we really have nothing better to talk about.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Palatka loving Florida gets LTE and Bloomington, IL can't? REALLY?!

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Will phones not switch over to an Airave signal if you get in range of one and you're on a call? I have a GS3 and an Airave in my apartment, and if I'm on the phone when I get home and go inside, I get the same cutouts and bad signal that caused me to get the Airave in the first place.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Will phones not switch over to an Airave signal if you get in range of one and you're on a call? I have a GS3 and an Airave in my apartment, and if I'm on the phone when I get home and go inside, I get the same cutouts and bad signal that caused me to get the Airave in the first place.

No, you have to start the call in range. You're essentially connecting to the device to make a VOIP call - you can't make that connection once you've already connected to a tower.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Palatka loving Florida gets LTE and Bloomington, IL can't? REALLY?!

Speak for yourself, Denver doesn't have anything yet. Except for some stealth tower on the road to the airport.

That being said, holy hell is the S4 fantastic. I love mine (far, far, more than my Photon 4G which Google/Motorola threw to the wayside 6 months after its inception).

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Very helpful information - thanks for taking the time to clear things up for me.

Tangentially related to battery life, I just found out that I can go into Settings > Data usage and limit how and when apps are able to phone home, so that's a start. I've somehow used over 2 gigs of data on my phone in the last month and I'd like to figure out what the cause is. Jellybean seems to have helped my phone to hang onto the WiFi connection at home, so that might resolve that issue right there.

EDIT: What is the general consensus regarding the SGS4 versus the SGS2 on battery life and antenna/signal strength? I get lovely reception indoors (which, of course, seriously compromises battery life) and was wondering (hoping) that if I picked up the SGS4 we'd see a significant improvement. Or should I just save my $600? I know Sprint's signal is notoriously bad for indoor reception, but my old Hero gets 2 bars in the same spot where the SGS2 gets nothing.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 21, 2013

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the general consensus regarding the SGS4 versus the SGS2 on battery life and antenna/signal strength?

I never owned an S2, but my buddy at work has one with Sprint and we get about the same signal as far as I can tell. The battery is better on my S4 though, way better.

Compared to my TP2, the s4 is pretty much on par with signal strength. I'm really happy with it.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Holy Crap! Was just at a Sprint store in Roseville, CA and they said they actually had 4G service start to pop up on some of their phones. Sure enough they had 4G on a few Note 2's while I was there. Guess they finally are starting up a few towers to test at least in the area. While my Arrive can't use the 4G, hopefully the 3G gets a boost as well and coverage expands once the next Windows Phones launch. (Please Sprint, you want a 41MP camera phone. Really you do.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Holy Crap! Was just at a Sprint store in Roseville, CA and they said they actually had 4G service start to pop up on some of their phones. Sure enough they had 4G on a few Note 2's while I was there. Guess they finally are starting up a few towers to test at least in the area. While my Arrive can't use the 4G, hopefully the 3G gets a boost as well and coverage expands once the next Windows Phones launch. (Please Sprint, you want a 41MP camera phone. Really you do.)

I had to look it up, and you weren't joking.

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/808pureview/

That's just loving stupid. I bet when you zoom in far enough to see each "pixel", you just see white noise.

What's the point of that?

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

KillHour posted:

That's just loving stupid. I bet when you zoom in far enough to see each "pixel", you just see white noise.

Here's a sample image from it:
http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/photo/capoeira-in-rio-captured-with-nokia-808-pureview.jpg

Really not all that bad, but it's definitely just a gimmick. Camera companies gave up the megapixel race long ago.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Once resized to non-retarded resolution, it doesn't look any better than the pictures my One takes.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: What is the general consensus regarding the SGS4 versus the SGS2 on battery life and antenna/signal strength? I get lovely reception indoors (which, of course, seriously compromises battery life) and was wondering (hoping) that if I picked up the SGS4 we'd see a significant improvement. Or should I just save my $600? I know Sprint's signal is notoriously bad for indoor reception, but my old Hero gets 2 bars in the same spot where the SGS2 gets nothing.
Samsungs in general don't seem to get the best reception. We have a fairly common issue around here where people's phones don't ring in certain places, they don't know they got a call unless they get a voicemail. Samsungs seem to suffer from it the most, or at least when the signal isn't totally horrible. They can make outgoing calls, but the network can't seem to find them in time to make it ring.

We haven't really had many complaints about the S4s specifically yet, but there have been a handful of people who switched from an original EVO to something else (iPhones and S3s that I'm aware of) and complain that they don't get signal at home since then.

But the S2 is horrible overall (most exchanged phone for Service and Repair for at least the last 3 months), so I'd get rid of it ASAP.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

KillHour posted:

The intent of Nokia's 41MP sensor is not to end up with a 41MP finished image. That would be a silly noisy mess. Instead it uses pixel binning to combine a multiple tiny pixels into one decent sized non-noisy pixel (resulting in a reasonably sized image). Whether it works better than other solutions like just starting with larger pixels (like the HTC One), optical image stabilization (like the current Nokias) or something else all together is up for debate, but there's more to it than the Megapixel race.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Geirskogul posted:

loving PHOENIX HOLY poo poo SPRINT WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM

Yeah I don't get it either. One of the most populated cities in the US and Sprint is loving giving LTE in the BFE. Every time you ask a Sprint rep it's always "a few months". It's been two goddamn years. I think if I don't have any clear idea by Sept of when they'll be getting LTE I'm taking my 4 lines somewhere else.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Yeah I don't get it either. One of the most populated cities in the US and Sprint is loving giving LTE in the BFE. Every time you ask a Sprint rep it's always "a few months". It's been two goddamn years. I think if I don't have any clear idea by Sept of when they'll be getting LTE I'm taking my 4 lines somewhere else.
Here's the best estimate publically available.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the general consensus regarding the SGS4 versus the SGS2 on battery life and antenna/signal strength?
The S3 and S4 are comparable in reception, and the former might be a bit better even. The S4 has better battery life by virtue of having a larger stock battery (S4 2600 mAh vs. S3 2100 mAh, but extended batteries exist for both), but both get phenominally better battery life than the E4GT under good signal conditions. Although, it's all kind of a wash under poor conditions as cellular connectivity is just the biggest contributor to battery drain at that point.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Or should I just save my $600?
Pick up a used S3 on CraigsList for $200-250, possibly even cheaper. The S3 is 90% of the S4 in terms of capability, and essentially equivalent to it in all aspects you actually care about.

I mean, both are great devices, far far better than the embarassment that's the E4GT. But the S4 is not nearly enough of an improvement over the S3 to be worth the premium at retail price unless you absolutely need it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm still pretty happy with my S3, so I'm thinking I may just hold onto it (and my upgrade due in August) and wait for the S5.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I think that I'm going to have to do something soon - Jellybean alone is a horrible drain on my S2's battery. Coupled with poor signal strength, I don't see the S2 being worth me hanging onto - my Hero is going strong after 2 days, while my S2 was almost dead after 4 hours today with no use at all. I wish I could find out what the hell is draining the battery so fast - I know the new OS is going to up the drain, but this is ridiculous.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks for the advice. I think that I'm going to have to do something soon - Jellybean alone is a horrible drain on my S2's battery. Coupled with poor signal strength, I don't see the S2 being worth me hanging onto - my Hero is going strong after 2 days, while my S2 was almost dead after 4 hours today with no use at all. I wish I could find out what the hell is draining the battery so fast - I know the new OS is going to up the drain, but this is ridiculous.
Keep your GPS off when you're not using it, certain things seem to use it for no reason. My S3 lasted a lot longer when I kept it off.

Also, make sure the Sprint Connections Manager is turned off - it's somewhere under wireless network settings. I'm not at work so I can't check exactly where.

Basically, it toggles the WiFi and 4g on and off whenever it feels like to try and keep you off the 3g network. It's kind of hell on the battery.

It could also be the battery itself, Samsung batteries of that generation go bad at the drop of a hat. If it's starting to swell up (like, if you can spin it like a top on a flat surface), it's probably shot.

When ICS first launched, there was an issue where the notification light was draining the battery. Apparently they needed to keep the processor awake to make it blink. I don't think they broke that again, I upgraded one to JB today and it didn't lose any noticeable charge over the 2 hours or so before the customer picked it up. But there may be something else they messed up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Keep your GPS off when you're not using it, certain things seem to use it for no reason. My S3 lasted a lot longer when I kept it off.

Also, make sure the Sprint Connections Manager is turned off - it's somewhere under wireless network settings. I'm not at work so I can't check exactly where.

Basically, it toggles the WiFi and 4g on and off whenever it feels like to try and keep you off the 3g network. It's kind of hell on the battery.

It could also be the battery itself, Samsung batteries of that generation go bad at the drop of a hat. If it's starting to swell up (like, if you can spin it like a top on a flat surface), it's probably shot.

When ICS first launched, there was an issue where the notification light was draining the battery. Apparently they needed to keep the processor awake to make it blink. I don't think they broke that again, I upgraded one to JB today and it didn't lose any noticeable charge over the 2 hours or so before the customer picked it up. But there may be something else they messed up.

The batteries are good - I just replaced them a couple of months back for the swelling issue. I'll try the Connections Manager thing, but I don't know if it will help. I have 4G turned off anyway, since we don't even have it in my area, and unless I'm in the house, I don't have Wi-Fi around. I know about the ICS issue, and never had that problem, but who knows what's happening with Jellybean - I might have inherited another problem.

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!

OptimusMatrix posted:

The worst part is how the 3G service is so incredibly bad. If we can't have 4G, lets at least get 3G working at an acceptable speed. If I am going to download anything or stream video, I have to force roam onto Verizon's towers where the 3G is usable.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

tray posted:

The worst part is how the 3G service is so incredibly bad. If we can't have 4G, lets at least get 3G working at an acceptable speed. If I am going to download anything or stream video, I have to force roam onto Verizon's towers where the 3G is usable.

A large portion of network vision is to improve 3g coverage, performance, and capacity.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Giblet posted:

A large portion of network vision is to improve 3g coverage, performance, and capacity.

To take it from a 9600 baud modem to a 56k modem. The 17 "data speed upgrades" in my are over the last 6 months have done precisely fuckall. In fact my overall experience is worse.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

To be fair pretty much every market has lovely data speeds. You should be happy that they're currently working on towers in Phoenix. Some places haven't even started yet. Phoenix has 15-20 towers updated per week. I was able to get 1,600kb/s off a completed tower the other day.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

And upgrading a tower's hardware doesn't necessarily mean that they'll give faster speeds right away. 3G upgrades are all switched on in regional clusters at the same time to avoid handoff issues between old and new networks. This sometimes means that you'll have 3G-upgraded towers sitting around for weeks or months at a time with no difference in service and speeds.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

td4guy posted:

And upgrading a tower's hardware doesn't necessarily mean that they'll give faster speeds right away. 3G upgrades are all switched on in regional clusters at the same time to avoid handoff issues between old and new networks. This sometimes means that you'll have 3G-upgraded towers sitting around for weeks or months at a time with no difference in service and speeds.

Same thing with all of network vision, really.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Shareholders have now approved the Softbank merger and the deal should finally be closed early next month.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So what happened with Dish Network's bid?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

So what happened with Dish Network's bid?

They backed out a few weeks ago, can't remember why.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I imagine because Softback upped their bid and Dish didn't want to get into a bidding war. We should all be happy though, the only reason Dish put in a bid was to snag some spectrum. As a Sprint customer I think I'm going to end up a lot better off with Softbank.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcpringles posted:

They backed out a few weeks ago, can't remember why.

The rumor is that Dish actually wants TMobile and bid on Sprint to drive up the price.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think that Softbank also actually had the money, while Dish would have to actively go out and borrow the funds required. Dish's bid seemed to be pretty halfhearted.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Paging EdEdandEddy, your prayers have been answered.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12586

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That site has an article that seems to explain what happened with the Dish bid too.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12548

Seems like even Sprint knew Dish was bad news.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think that Softbank also actually had the money, while Dish would have to actively go out and borrow the funds required. Dish's bid seemed to be pretty halfhearted.

Dish had already issued bonds to raise money to finance the takeover. When they dropped their bid to purchase Sprint they called back the bonds.

Sprint would've been crippled if Dish had purchased them so I'm glad to see Softbank win this. Now they just need to get Clearwire on board and Sprint will have a very powerful network when their overhaul is finished.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nickutz posted:

Sprint would've been crippled if Dish had purchased them so I'm glad to see Softbank win this. Now they just need to get Clearwire on board and Sprint will have a very powerful network when their overhaul is finished.
Clearwire is back to preferring Sprint's offer now that they've raised it, that whole mess should (hopefully) be wrapped up when the Clearwire shareholders vote on July 8th.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
So is there any chance of this speeding up Network Vision?

3G data is marginally more usable in Milwaukee than other places I've lived while on Sprint, but it's night and day compared to how nice LTE is in Chicago these days. Either way, if I wasn't on SERO, I'd have left Sprint a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

So is there any chance of this speeding up Network Vision?

3G data is marginally more usable in Milwaukee than other places I've lived while on Sprint, but it's night and day compared to how nice LTE is in Chicago these days. Either way, if I wasn't on SERO, I'd have left Sprint a long time ago.

The progress is allegedly going as fast as the suppliers can provide the hardware. It doesn't seem like the merger can make it go any faster.

Edit: Dish has officially withdrawn their offer for Clearwire. Looks like the wireless ménage à trois merger will be smooth sailing.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 26, 2013