Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

7seven7 posted:

Nicolas Jaar remixed the entire album. He's played around with the track order, so if you've never heard of Nicolas Jaar I'd recommend starting with Beyond as that's the most accessible. The first two tracks are pretty much just experimental noise, so stay away from those if you're not into that kind of thing. Everything after that is gold though.

Other than this and gangnam access memories (and maybe the todd edwards bbc mix), are there any recommended full-album remixes out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

kalensc posted:

This album keeps growing on me. I've loaded it quite a few times with the intention of only listening to my favorite tracks and ended up playing the entire album. I think that the album would benefit from a track re-ordering but it's still quite strong as is.

Like a lot of other people I love Giorgio (especially when the strings kick in halfway through) and Contact. I don't know much about electronic or dance artists, so who should I listen to if I want to hear more of those styles?

Giorgio has always reminded me of Kavinsky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Z6INfhOMA

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kalensc posted:

Like a lot of other people I love Giorgio (especially when the strings kick in halfway through) and Contact. I don't know much about electronic or dance artists, so who should I listen to if I want to hear more of those styles?

Giorgio reminds me of "Change" by Tears for Fears:

http://youtu.be/z4UqHANkpjY

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'd completely forgotten to check out more Kavinsky after I saw Drive.

Justice is great although I listened to Cross so many times it's lost a bit of its allure. What I'm really hoping to find are songs that keep rising towards an intense crescendo like Contact, stuff like that is amazing for an adrenaline rush while cycling. Too bad Danger hasn't put anything new out in a few years, his stuff were fantastic.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

kalensc posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'd completely forgotten to check out more Kavinsky after I saw Drive.

Justice is great although I listened to Cross so many times it's lost a bit of its allure. What I'm really hoping to find are songs that keep rising towards an intense crescendo like Contact, stuff like that is amazing for an adrenaline rush while cycling. Too bad Danger hasn't put anything new out in a few years, his stuff were fantastic.

Just curious, have you heard Justice's 18 minute song, Planisphere? It definitely has that rising feeling you seem to be looking for.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I waited for the hype to die down and avoided the press on RAM. I dig it. I can see where people's complaints come from. At the same time, I enjoy the music and the production levels. Touch is a great song of the type I haven't heard in a while. I think its an A+ effort all around. I don't agree with the order of the songs. The album presents a variety of songs and doesn't build to a theme or goal. But sequence doesn't hurt the album for me either.

I might add that Audio Visual Disco helped to prepare me for this album.

I think Daft Punk has no where else to go like most accomplished artists. So they retraced their steps and made something true to the influences, literally remaking their influences. I think people have to realize that RAM isn't for the fans, its for Daft Punk. If you enjoy it, you enjoy their tastes and probably that means you enjoyed their other stuff. Even though the album is self-indulgent, I think has a statement to make. You have to ask yourself what is electronic music and I think it is deeper than robot sounds. This album is much more than just electronic and they purposefully built a narrative with the tracks and collaborators. Even though it isn't what people expected or even wanted, I think it is a valuable contribution to music and Daft's legacy.

I read through about 35 pages of this thread before I stopped. Its weird to me the way movies and directors aren't treated like music producers and artists. People enjoy movies on an individual level but every album by an artist is expected to be bigger than the next. As they say, music artists are only as good as their last hit. I appreciate RAM for what it is and don't really need or care if it sounds like their previous work or changes my life.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ugh Planisphere is sooooooo loving good. Its one of the best things they've ever done and that's saying something.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
This is fairly old but I just stumbled across it: https://soundcloud.com/tombudinmusic/daft-punk-ft-pharrel-williams

It's a more :airquote:EDM:airquote: remix of Get Lucky. It's not super amazing (the kick and clap are way too loud in the mix) but I think it's a decent tune that you'd be able to play out in a modern club. Definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea but I figured I'd post it since it's somewhat far departed from the typical style of the album/remixes that have been floating around.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

http://youtu.be/A6PEboTpcfI

Welp, President Obama singing Get Lucky

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

somnambulist posted:

http://youtu.be/A6PEboTpcfI

Welp, President Obama singing Get Lucky

Oh my god, this is incredible. His "uhhhh" at 0:24 is perfect.

Doesn't Pharrell say "look" at that part in the actual song? I was never sure, that's just what it sounded most like.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Get lucky remix just hit spotify and daft punk put a pretty interesting teaser up on their site.

http://www.randomaccessmemories.com/

http://youtu.be/LquuPcRDMNo

edit: This was not the remix i was looking for... Maybe it will catch on after a couple more listens.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 26, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The ten minute Get Lucky remix just got posted to SPOTIFY.

http://www.randomaccessmemories.com/

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 26, 2013

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Internet, you so fast.

bonzaisushi posted:

edit: This was not the remix i was looking for...

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 26, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Where on SoundCloud? It's on Spotify but I don't want to download that app just to uninstall it after I listen to the remix, and their web player isn't working for me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where on SoundCloud? It's on Spotify but I don't want to download that app just to uninstall it after I listen to the remix, and their web player isn't working for me.

Oops sorry its on spotify yeah. I'm exhausted.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 26, 2013

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

They haven't added it to their official soundcloud yet as far as i can tell. It looks like its only on spotify right now. Whats your e-mail?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They just shuffled around some points in the song, added some faint bells, and mixed pharells voice. This is not "daft punk sampled themselves and did a house track" remix. This is the "some of the concepts that were on the cutting room floor were picked up and expanded" remix.

I'm looking at it as a proof of concept that they can "do it live" which gives me more then enough hope.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 26, 2013

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

incoherent posted:

They just shuffled around some points in the song, added some faint bells, and mixed pharells voice. This is not "daft punk sampled themselves and did a house track" remix. This is the "some of the concepts that were on the cutting room floor were picked up and expanded" remix.

It just a proof of concept that they can "do it live" which give me more then enough hope.

Uhm no? This is the official Daft Punk remix of the song. Like this is the remix they were talking about when they said they were going to remix the track themselves.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah I kinda expected this. Sorta meh, but I didn't really think they were just gonna release a house remix because that would be way predictable. That being said, as much as I enjoy RAM, I wouldn't mind some more house music from them. I'm enjoying the latter half of this remix alot, though.

PonchAxis posted:

Uhm no? This is the official Daft Punk remix of the song. Like this is the remix they were talking about when they said they were going to remix the track themselves.

I don't see where in his post he contradicts you. He's just commenting on the type of remix it is, I think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Huh, Spotify's web player just started working for me, so I'm listening to it now.

I don't know what I was expecting from this, but it's not very interesting. It's like the album version but with minor changes here and there. Maybe this version would work better in a live context for them? But they're not even touring behind RAM, so I don't know.

I like the album version just fine. This seems rather unnecessary.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I like it, it's a cool long jam. I was expecting something more like Alive 1997/2007 but I'll take a cool 10 min remix.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't remember, did they say they were gonna do remixes of any other tracks on the album? Or is it just Get Lucky because that's the main single?

If they do others, I hope they change it up more for those.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

I can't remember, did they say they were gonna do remixes of any other tracks on the album? Or is it just Get Lucky because that's the main single?

If they do others, I hope they change it up more for those.

Didn't they say they'd release an album of remixes?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
:(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah this is a super unnecessary remix.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Wow they sure uh, did a key change there...So talent.

If all of their remixes are as uninspired as this I don't really know what to say. I enjoyed the opening chord progression but then it just went nowhere.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 26, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Fans expect house album, get disco album

Fans expect house remix....get extended dsco mix

lol

These guys. Oh well get lucky is a good song and now there's a 10 minute version. Leave the remxing to Sebastian. ...hopefully.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Fans expect house album, get disco album

Fans expect house remix....get extended dsco mix

lol

These guys. Oh well get lucky is a good song and now there's a 10 minute version. Leave the remxing to Sebastian. ...hopefully.

Except it wasn't a disco album, and the album cut was the extended mix.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
OH OK SORRY

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I'm not surprised at all.

These two mixes remind me of having a 7" and a 12" version. Something that Chic excels at.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

dj bobby bieber posted:

Except it wasn't a disco album, and the album cut was the extended mix.
Wrong and wrong. Better luck next time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Please, tell me more about disco!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What a pointless and needlessly self-indulgent remix.

Hey let's just remake the same loving song, only with the addition of <Too long!> and <Tweaked Vocoder!> and let's not forget <Tubular bells> at the end!

Psshhhhhhh.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This would have been awesome if it were an extended version of the song where they kind of jammed out for the extra added time and played with the melody and stuff, but what we got instead seems like a stretched out version of the album track with really shoddily "remixed" vocals, where "remixed" means sloppily chopped up and mix around a bit.

I guess its fine for a club that was playing the original version, since now they can keep people going for 10 minutes, instead of six, and at a club you probably don't care as much about anything else...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Welp that was pretty lame. Like everyone here, i was hoping for something more substantive like a fresh take on the song instead of a literal re-mixing of the existing elements :colbert:

It meets the technical definition of "remix" but not much more.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Hi, if you can't post without being a dickhead (or at least actually making an argument while being a dick), don't post.

He's right that calling it a disco album isn't really correct; really I don't think there was any single unifying sound to it to begin with, despite people's desire to categorize it.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

het posted:

really I don't think there was any single unifying sound to it to begin with, despite people's desire to categorize it.

I think the P4k review described it pretty accurately:

quote:

So we get a mix of disco, soft rock, and prog-pop, along with some Broadway-style pop bombast and even a few pinches of their squelching stadium-dance aesthetic.

My problem with the tired "you were expecting x and got a disco record" argument is that if it were a disco album, it probably would have been a lot better. And yes, a few tracks show some signs of disco and even post-disco vibes, it really doesn't make up the identity of the album as a whole.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Christ almighty, that remix is terrible. I really loved the album, so I have no problem with the direction Daft Punk took with it. But this is just amateurish. I seriously think I could've done a better job of chopping up those vocals. The transitions into each section somehow come off worse than the already bad original. There's a couple of cool new synth parts and the jammier sections work well, too.

This is super disappointing. Get Lucky's release tempered my expectations for the album which then blew me away. So hopefully this poo poo-tastic thing will do the same.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

7seven7 posted:

Christ almighty, that remix is terrible. I really loved the album, so I have no problem with the direction Daft Punk took with it. But this is just amateurish. I seriously think I could've done a better job of chopping up those vocals.

Yeah, man, you should do it! Post it when you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Rocco posted:

Yeah, man, you should do it! Post it when you're done

Hahahhahahahaha

• Locked thread