Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackheart posted:

Well, if anything we'll have some pretty neat cars in the movie:

Probably another Autobot.

This is going to be an amazing toy line if they don't cheap out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

poo poo deluxe released at $15.99, HA version announced for US release, never makes it. Japanese HA release, $100.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

The Rage posted:

poo poo tiny deluxe released at $23.99, HA version announced for US release, never makes it. Japanese HA release, $169. Weights less than a bag of feathers.

Updated for projected inflation and price increases.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Maybe it's just me, but I am more interested in a variety of vehicles rather than just a bunch of exotic sports cars. Where are all the cranes and fire trucks and poo poo?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Inferno mold? The last crane before that became synonymous with shelfwarming. Which reminds me, I gotta start unpacking so I can get Hot Spot out.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sire Oblivion posted:

See, when they showed off the 458 Italia for DOTM, I thought the same thing.

Welp :sigh:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Phy posted:

Inferno mold? The last crane before that became synonymous with shelfwarming. Which reminds me, I gotta start unpacking so I can get Hot Spot out.

I mean in the movie.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Decided to actually watch Animated on a whim. Some thoughts on the first half of the first season:

The series' greatest strength is, of course, the animation. The cartoon style works very well, and I love the way they use vehicle mode proportions, faction symbols etc, things that would be static on a CGI model, to convey emotion. There's a lot of care and detail to attention.

My other favourite thing about the series is the fact that the Decepticons waste no time in being a credible threat. Starscream would have demolished the heroes were he not a complete idiot, to say nothing of Megatron's remarkably effective scheming while being literally nothing more than a disembodied head.

The main cast is pretty solid, if fairly simple. I like Ratchet and Prowl a lot, and Optimus and Bulkhead work pretty well too. The odd one out is, of course, Bumblebee. He feels odd as a transparent kid-appeal character because a lot of his kid-appeal traits are already represented in the other characters, but then they are extracted and melted down to specifically to have a space for their own. What, because kids aren't able to relate to any of the other guys? It feels so strange to have the happy-go-lucky small guy be the most cynical and artificial thing in a bright and poppy carton world. Oh, and Sari is a lot less obnoxious than I'd been led to believe.

Starscream's defeat and Optimus' death and rebirth are just naff as hell. After three episodes of cartoon plotting, suddenly we get a very literal deus ex machina and sequence of events right out of some actual ancient Greek drama. And I mean, ancient Greek drama is great, but it doesn't square with the previous or subsequent narrative style at all and doesn't feel "earned", if you get what I mean. It also creates a very unfortunate situation in which the credible threat becomes rather softened by the fact that the Autobots' arsenal just so happens to include, oh, the crucible of youth and font of all creation. I figured the writers would get rid of it somehow much earlier, but instead they just sort of awkwardly gloss over it so far. It's... Odd.

If there's one thing I'm super glad they kept from the movies it's the fact that Megatron still is a much more interesting character than he has any right to be. He comes across as a genuinely scary and competent guy who's just stuck in a terrible situation. Somehow, the fact that he's allowed to mis-speak and make minor fuckups while still doing the best with what he's got makes him even more relateable than the heroes, and Corey Burton is just knocking it out of the park. Still, this does make me slightly dread the moment when he'll get a new body and the writers'll probably have to artificially dial back his competence so the Autobots can keep winning the day. Well, there's still a chance they'll do it right, but they have yet to earn my trust.

Episode 5 (Total Meltdown) kinda came out of nowhere for me. Suddenly the robots are a metaphor for immigrants, and wait, what is an actual Darkwing Duck villain doing in Transformers? What?

Episode 7 (Thrill of the Hunt), on the other hand, is definitely my favourite so far. You can practically feel Ratchet's rage at the end, that was just very well done, and Lockdown is a pretty charming guy. Shame about Arcee's victimization, but I suppose she got off comparatively lightly compared too...

Blackarachnia. Oh dear. The chances of encountering a non-offensive and interesting "black widow" character are pretty low indeed, doing so in a series where she's the only non-flashback female character at all is practically zero. And wow, they hit every wrong note possible. When she said "...Much as you'd like to give me a face-full of foam..." I actually had to rewind and hear that sentence again because I couldn't believe my ears. The whole thing is just awful and baffling. They're robots!

They're robots!

I get they were going for some Gargoyles-esque tragic villainess thing with her, but everything about the way they wrote it and wrote her is just bad on so many levels, from the inexplicable romantic/sexual stuff (robots!) to deep subtextual poo poo concerning what her story inevitably says about womanhood without another active adult female character to contrast her to.

Overall opinion: So far, I'm... Cautiously feeling it. Animated does enough things right to keep me going at least, but I may straight-up skip future Blackarachnia-centric episodes if the next one is as bad as her introduction, and Blitzwing is already proving to be utterly obnoxious with his horrible put-on "Nazi" accent (would it have been so hard to hire a native German speaker?) and even worse monkey-cheese humour. Then again, from what I hear the series actually gets better in season 2, so maybe this will actually go somewhere. We'll see.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Transformers 4: Robots in Disguise.

In the most noticeably expensive cars that turn heads in anywhere but a high end trade show or Monaco.

Saying that I suppose G1 was like that a bit, because F1 cars and Lamborghini Countachs where commonplace on the streets in 85.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'll air my issues with animated after you're done watching it, but I'm glad someone's watching it with a critical eye for once instead of blind praise or negativity.

Blackarachnia was in fact one of the issues I've seen brought up. The Blackarachnia in Beast Wars was also sexualized, she never used that to get ahead except once with Tarantulas. Possibly with Silverbolt but I think that relationship wasn't so superficial, and both sides were trying to change each other.

The other main female character is a demure teacher and both have tragedies that are used to motivate other characters. And then we have Professor Princess, who's a big bag of feminine traits used as comedy/villainy. And those, besides Sari, are most of the female characters of note, sending some bad vibes/messages about femininity imo.

(Beside my point: Sari's okay I guess, though I find it telling that no one has the same problem with her that they do Miko even though when I was watching it I was having a cow whenever she'd try to fight 40-foot robots. No one wrote elaborate murder fantasies about Sari.)

Thrill of the Hunt was a great loving episode, and does rise above most of Prime, and I admit that as someone who does not like Animated and likes Prime. The rest of Animated never reaches that height, though.

Again, I'll bring up my problems later if I can remember all of them, it's been a few years and I don't feel like watching it again.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 26, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Goddamnit Hasbro where is my loving Metroplex

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I can't get enough of fire trucks that turn into robots.
I even considered importing Ganoh

"Paint applications? haha"

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
if you've got a 3D Printer, you can now make your own Timey-Wimey Optimus Primey:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106595

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I never liked any version of Blackarachnia.

Animated gets a lot better by the second season.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So my figure subscription service Scourge showed up today. TFCC managed to screw up and never sent me a shipping email, but they sent the figure to the right address so I guess I can't complain too much. I'm not a big fan of that mold, but the quality and paint apps are good. I think it makes a better Scourge than an Optimus, since that mold's always looked kind of angular and evil to me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the people at the top of the TF Legends leaderboards with like 45million episode points are filthy cheaters, right? Because even if you dumped a thousand real-world dollars into the game and bought every available card and played the game around the clock and tackled bosses giving you 20,000 points a pop, I don't think you could generate 45million points in 5 days.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
It let's you sign in with multiple devices. They even allow you to do so under the TOS. You can run the app in an emulator.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MB13 posted:

if you've got a 3D Printer, you can now make your own Timey-Wimey Optimus Primey:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:106595

Jesus. Look, the future of toy manufacturing just happened. Now all I need is a 3D printer..

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

You know, I saw the new thread and took a look just out of idle curiosity. And then didn't do much of anything.

Then on the weekend I watched Transformers: The Movie after not having seen any Transformers (aside from the first of the recent movie trilogy) since I was about 5.

Then I bought and read Autocracy.

Then I bought and read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Today I caught myself checking out the Masterpiece figures on display at one of my local game/DVD/toy shop.

I just bought the first MTMTE trade.

What... what have you guys done to me? :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Buggered if I know. :3:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

IT BEGINS

Enjoy the first days of your newfound plastic crack addiction.

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus. Look, the future of toy manufacturing just happened. Now all I need is a 3D printer..

You know this could be silly but I always wondered if we'd have "downloadable" toys in the not so-very-far future. This technology is too useful and will only become better and more accessible from now on. Maybe not us, but our grandsons at least!

vvv Not me mister, I still love all of the lovely toys. Now that I think of it there's very few figures I downright despise. vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 26, 2013

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

IT BEGINS

Enjoy the first days of your newfound plastic crack addiction.
Every new toy is a joy as you marvel at how far transformers have come, every ball joint and swivel a delightful little puzzle of its own!

A bit later you get to join the rest of us in pissing and moaning about how much we "hate" the things we, in fact, still purchase en masse.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Rage posted:

poo poo deluxe released at $15.99, HA version announced for US release, never makes it. Japanese HA release, $100.

Planned US release: 1 paint app. Japanese HA release: the height of movie-era luxury with TWO paint apps.

God please send the earth into the sun before this next movie comes out I don't know if my fragile heart can take another DOTM.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Created a mark we can point to and say "new, well-written threads can attract new readers!"

PS: buy Springer now, before he goes out of production. Then buy Sandstorm to go with him.

Then buy a Breacher. Then buy one of these guys and you'll be all set. Thank me later! Give your wallet my condolences.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 26, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, I saw the new thread and took a look just out of idle curiosity. And then didn't do much of anything.

Then on the weekend I watched Transformers: The Movie after not having seen any Transformers (aside from the first of the recent movie trilogy) since I was about 5.

Then I bought and read Autocracy.

Then I bought and read Last Stand of the Wreckers.

Today I caught myself checking out the Masterpiece figures on display at one of my local game/DVD/toy shop.

I just bought the first MTMTE trade.

I deeply express my regrets to you and your wallet.

Robots are fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: You don't have to buy toys if you don't want to, Sodomy. I'm a big nerdlinger and I do, but the comics are also pretty darn good. I'd recommend checking out Robots In Disguise as well; it would probably be in the running for Best TF Comic Ever if the Roberts books didn't have that sewn up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The London comic shop I bought FOC Ultra Magnus from had Springer, Blitzwang and Sandstorm! Spring/wang were £35 ($50) each, but Sandstorm was £40 ($60)... Definitely not paying that. Although seeing them in the plastic was exciting, and dang, they are surprisingly huge!

Also, re-reading MTMTE #18, I realised we see Chromedome's altmode for the first time.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Before you try the sandpaper method for Blutzwang, I recommend to try This one. I tried sanding down first but clearly I didn't do enough, then I tried this other method and in less than a minute I fixed my Blitz's shoulders perfectly. You can use different materials to do it as long as they're at least 1mm deep.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

So my buddies over at Ed Bomber Toys and Palace Gifts have a neat exclusive their debuting at Botcon this year, here's the teaser pic:

More details coming Monday!

Update from edbomberToys about Not-Shackwave:

This will be an edbomberToys exclusive item limited to a run of 350. It will be made available at our third party party at BotCon hopefully thursday. We will have 100 units at the show to be purchased in person.

The remaining units will be sold through our site. Will we put up Pre-Orders thursday morning.

Price: Gray Quakewave will be at a special $175.00 until the end of BotCon on Sunday. If there are any units left after that, the price will then go to the regular price of $200.00

Item Details: From Fans Toys is a redeco of Quake Wave in a Gray color scheme. The toy comes with LEDs in the eye of the figure and in the gun barrel of the arm which light up (batteries not included). Out of the box Quake Wave will come with a smoke colored hand & gun barrel but also included is an optional clear red colored hand and gun barrel.

New to the Quake Wave figure is the additional of a part provided by Fans Toys which will allow the figure to have the hose from the back connect to the underside of the arm. This conversion removes the electronics but still allows for proper conversion.

UPDATES: There have been a few questions and we'll try to address them here. There will be strict limit of 2 pc per order. Any orders with more than 2 will be cancelled.

While we'll do our best to get you the best looking box, we cannot guarantee perfect boxes as with overseas shipping we run into lots of boxes getting dings and such.

Fans Toys designed a wonderful toy and definitely one that deserves to be opened.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

About 2 months ago

sis: yo I got you a blue liontron-thingie, that one you mentioned once

me: you mean thundertron? that's awesome

sis: that one. it's pretty cool actually. you sure they are not selling them back home?

me: not a chance, we're stuck on first wave retail as usual. just ship it over

sis: but what if it breaks, I don't wanna return it

me: it'll be fine, just put packing peanuts on the box, that's how ebay sellers do it

sis: OK

yesterday morning, I got a package

The box was still sealed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Before you try the sandpaper method for Blutzwang, I recommend to try This one. I tried sanding down first but clearly I didn't do enough, then I tried this other method and in less than a minute I fixed my Blitz's shoulders perfectly. You can use different materials to do it as long as they're at least 1mm deep.

Aw, for poo poo's sake! I feel like I just gave mine classic thoracic surgery the day before laparoscopy was publicized.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Ka0 posted:

About 2 months ago

sis: yo I got you a blue liontron-thingie, that one you mentioned once

me: you mean thundertron? that's awesome

sis: that one. it's pretty cool actually. you sure they are not selling them back home?

me: not a chance, we're stuck on first wave retail as usual. just ship it over

sis: but what if it breaks, I don't wanna return it

me: it'll be fine, just put packing peanuts on the box, that's how ebay sellers do it

sis: OK

yesterday morning, I got a package

The box was still sealed.

Your sister is a hero, that reminds me how production plants will ship laser printers in for repairs - also full of peanuts.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well, it could also have come filled with actual peanuts.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, I was just thinking about how Australian fans don't have a con (well, not one that I'm aware of), and probably have worse distribution than Canada and the UK (and the UK fans have it pretty rough). Seems like it sucks to be a Transformers fan down under.

Sometimes I wonder if there's fandom outside of English speaking and Asian countries. I really don't know. The overwhelming majority of people I speak to online are from the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. (And even as far as English speaking countries are concerned, I don't think I know anybody from New Zealand or South Africa.) I know one guy from Brazil. I wonder if TFs caught on in Europe outside of the UK. From what I understand, their releases were very limited, and often didn't get released until years later.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

You know, I saw the new thread and took a look just out of idle curiosity.
Success. Hope you'll enjoy all those things as much as we do!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if TFs caught on in Europe outside of the UK.
I'm German myself, and speaking for this country: No, not really. Across the two cities I spent most of my recent years there's one(!) shop that always carries TFs, and thanks to Hasbro's business model they're always three waves behind, and that's if they get them at all. Newest toy currently in that shop: Prime Thundertron. Between that, the fact that TF never caught on culturally that much here (you don't have that thing where everbody knows who Optimus Prime is, for instance) and the comparatively poor performance of the rather distinctly American movies not causing an equivalent upswing in recognition there really isn't any fandom to speak of. There's barely even a German-speaking internet TF presence (I found exactly two German TF sites, and one of them is bilingual). It's kind of a sad state, and as a result I'm often forced to order my toys from halfway across the globe.

In unrelated news: I only now realised that Rung's name is a joke on Jung, as in Carl Jung. Wow I feel dense.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I was just thinking about how Australian fans don't have a con (well, not one that I'm aware of), and probably have worse distribution than Canada and the UK (and the UK fans have it pretty rough). Seems like it sucks to be a Transformers fan down under.

Sometimes I wonder if there's fandom outside of English speaking and Asian countries. I really don't know. The overwhelming majority of people I speak to online are from the US, Canada, the UK and Australia. (And even as far as English speaking countries are concerned, I don't think I know anybody from New Zealand or South Africa.) I know one guy from Brazil. I wonder if TFs caught on in Europe outside of the UK. From what I understand, their releases were very limited, and often didn't get released until years later.

Theres a Transformers New Zealand fanboard but they're really anal and keep banning me for no reason.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Thrill of the Hunt was a great loving episode, and does rise above most of Prime, and I admit that as someone who does not like Animated and likes Prime. The rest of Animated never reaches that height, though.

Counterpoint: Season 3, episode 11: This Is Why I Hate Machines.

It's also another Ratchet-centric episode, proving that Ratchet is the best.

It also has a Rattrap cameo!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Silhouette posted:

Counterpoint: Season 3, episode 11: This Is Why I Hate Machines.

It's also another Ratchet-centric episode, proving that Ratchet is the best.

It also has a Rattrap cameo!

Still waiting for the CN/Hasbro feud being settled to result in a DVD release of Season 3.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Veg posted:

Theres a Transformers New Zealand fanboard but they're really anal and keep banning me for no reason.
You don't really seem like the ban worthy type. How are you earning their ire?

Are they only of the strictest geewun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if TFs caught on in Europe outside of the UK. From what I understand, their releases were very limited, and often didn't get released until years later.

I just bookmarked this thread because I kind of got interested in Transformers after having a glimpse of the Prime series and loving the animation on it. I don't know that much about what toys are hot or not, but apparently someone made a decent writeup on the selection in my country. I would want to know if this is "great" or "meh" or somewhere in between. And my mom told me that there might be some transformers toys up in the attic of the house, running the dates I have a reason to believe those are G1 toys though I'm not that interested in any treasure hunt to go check.