Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

smackfu posted:

At this point, if you have a subscription video service, it seems like a pretty good bet that you could get it on Apple TV as an app, despite there not being any apps.

Except for Amazon Instant.

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

haveblue posted:

Is wireless really the bottleneck there? Unless you're on Google Fiber it almost certainly has vastly more bandwidth than what's coming into your house and even in that case the stream from Go is probably only a couple of Mbps. I've been airplaying Go a lot recently and have no complaints about the quality (on an ATV2, no less, although it is wired).

There are fresh rumors about Apple TV apps now that Apple seems to have made a commitment to officially supporting game controllers but then again we get rumors about Apple TV apps every time an Apple executive opens his mouth.

Eh, I'm not sure what it is. It will be flawless on the iPad itself, but when using Airplay to the TV there are compression artifacts occasionally. It doesn't really seem logical, but it the case. Netflix is night and day when in Airplay or native on the Apple TV. The weird thing is Airplay with Air Video poo poo looks perfect. So I really don't know.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kuskus posted:

Part of me expected interface updates to kill the reflections on the icons/channels, but since iOS 7 and all its methodology isn't coming to the public until fall I'm sure this is just content-provider update. iOS for aTV seems so simplified already (and thank goodness, what with an A4 heart in mine) that it would seem trivial to make some minor interface adjustments & shoot out a new point release.

I'm actually holding out some (far fetched) hope that they'll announce a major update to the aTV interface/apps in the fall since the new hardware revision of the aTV will keep it on the same level as the new iPad/iPhone.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 19, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Do we yet know if that Apple Trailers Plex tweak still works after updating to get HBOGO?

Do you have to re-enter the info on your ATV?

I'll test this when I get home. If I can have Crunchyroll + Plexconnect, then I'm selling my jailbroken ATV2 and getting another 3.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Kenderama posted:

I'll test this when I get home. If I can have Crunchyroll + Plexconnect, then I'm selling my jailbroken ATV2 and getting another 3.

I checked. it works just fine after upgrading. Woo!

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Well drat, Charter doesn't allow HBOGo via AppleTV. Guess I just have to stick with AirPlay for the time being. That's annoying. At least ESPN works.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Voodoo posted:

Well drat, Charter doesn't allow HBOGo via AppleTV. Guess I just have to stick with AirPlay for the time being. That's annoying. At least ESPN works.

Did you have to redo anything?

Oops sorry that was meant for the guy who upgraded and still used Plex...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 20, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Did you have to redo anything?

Oops sorry that was meant for the guy who upgraded and still used Plex...

Nope. It was seamless - I did the software update from the Apple Settings menu and when it came back up I had the new icons and PlexConnect still worked.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone comment on how the interface on the espn app differs from that on the xbox 360? Does it have favorite teams like the 360 version?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can anyone comment on how the interface on the espn app differs from that on the xbox 360? Does it have favorite teams like the 360 version?

I can't help on this one as I don't have cable / espn to test with. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any of you fine folks with ATV3 & PlexConnect:

I was bummed slightly to realize that this Plex hack kinda removes Trailers. (I like Trailers!) But then found that PlexConnect has a "channel" you can add for Apple Trailers.
I can see all the trailers, read their descriptions, but when I go to play them I just get the spinny loading dial thingy.

Anyone else? Thoughts? Does this channel just not work?

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Any of you fine folks with ATV3 & PlexConnect:

I was bummed slightly to realize that this Plex hack kinda removes Trailers. (I like Trailers!) But then found that PlexConnect has a "channel" you can add for Apple Trailers.
I can see all the trailers, read their descriptions, but when I go to play them I just get the spinny loading dial thingy.

Anyone else? Thoughts? Does this channel just not work?

I thought I had played some of the trailers through that channel. I can double check tonight when I get home, but it used to work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress you HBO, let me just pay you money for HBO Go because I dont have cable and dont plan to get it

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

gently caress you HBO, let me just pay you money for HBO Go because I dont have cable and dont plan to get it

That's why I just pay my mom to add HBO to her cable pack. Free HBO for her $10/m HBO Go for me.

It's a win win.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Crunchyroll is cool and works very well, unfortunately the selection outside the US is a bit poo poo. It's nice that they give you SOMETHING rather than the Hulu/Netflix nothing though. I tried the free trial but I don't think I'd pay $10 a month for the stuff they have right now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Or you could just not watch anime :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

Or you could just not watch anime :v:

Literally 1 streaming service works for where I am and it's crunchyroll, ATV is a bit of a brick otherwise. I use it to watch youtube sometimes I guess.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Locator posted:

It annoys me endlessly that I can't order MLB/NBA broadband because my entire area is 'blacked out' due to the agreements with cable operators. On the other hand, I've got a lot of free time now that I used to use watching games.

This isn't prohibitive, by the by - you can use a service like unblock.us to spoof a location. It even gets around national blackouts.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Boxman posted:

This isn't prohibitive, by the by - you can use a service like unblock.us to spoof a location. It even gets around national blackouts.

Unblock.us is amazing and totally worth the $5/m. Watching my local MLB team and the national games all on the appletv is the best.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Boxman posted:

I will look at this come next season. Thank you!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

smackfu posted:

They just added HBO Go and ESPN apps to Apple TV, although like the mobile platforms, you need to have a cable subscription to use it.
I can't help but feel like HBO's losing a ton of money doing it this way, but I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and can prove me wrong on that. Netflix, Hulu...it feels like all the people willing to shell out a few dollars a month for those would be happy to shell out a few more for access to HBO's lineup.

God, do I want to see Oz again. :(

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

jackpot posted:

I can't help but feel like HBO's losing a ton of money doing it this way, but I'm sure they've crunched the numbers and can prove me wrong on that. Netflix, Hulu...it feels like all the people willing to shell out a few dollars a month for those would be happy to shell out a few more for access to HBO's lineup.

God, do I want to see Oz again. :(

I think the problem is that they can make more money right now by maintaining the status quo, so they're hesitant to change their business model. That won't last forever though, and if they wait too long it will eventually be too late.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Diabolik900 posted:

I think the problem is that they can make more money right now by maintaining the status quo, so they're hesitant to change their business model. That won't last forever though, and if they wait too long it will eventually be too late.

The thing is, they make more money from the cable providers directly this way. If they start offering GO to non-subscribers, the cable providers will start demanding that they get to pay less to HBO directly for carrying their content. If that happens, HBO straight up loses a significant percentage of their income, with no guarantee that people will buy their GO service. In fact, what they'll likely end up seeing is that they'll get subscribers that pay for a couple months out of the year to watch the one show they care about, and then cancel until the next season. This doesn't happen very often with cable customers, because it's generally a much bigger pain in the rear end to do that. It's in the best interests of the longevity of the premium content creators that they not offer that service separately.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Man, I really hope one of these updates adds BBC iPlayer for us UK folks instead of just getting Netflix and Sky News. They're on basically every other platform out there (consoles, iOS, Android and even Windows Phone now), yet there's no sign of them on Apple TV and AirPlaying from iOS is annoying. Maybe next update... :unsmith:

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Macrumors lists Apple TV as Don't Buy, are there solid rumors that an upgrade is imminent? Apple TV skipped 2011, but is it safe to assume a new generation later this year?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's a definite possibility. With all the new game controller support stuff coming, I could see something new later this year.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bird Law posted:

Macrumors lists Apple TV as Don't Buy, are there solid rumors that an upgrade is imminent? Apple TV skipped 2011, but is it safe to assume a new generation later this year?

The don't buy is an automatic thing if it's approaching or past the amount of days the previous upgrade took. It doesn't mean there are any solid rumors, unfortunately.

Safe to say that a third gen Apple TV is still a good purchase, as last generations generally don't miss out on anything too saucy; but one can never be too sure.

If you want one, you may as well get it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's also only $99 new (less if you grab a practically new refurb).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is no obvious upgrade pending for the 3rd Gen Apple TV. Even the 2nd Gen still gets every single feature that is released, and the only negative is no 1080p (and a lot of content is 720p anyways).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The only obvious upgrade I can think of for the current design is a Bluetooth remote, but that's not really a huge deal anyway. There's definitely nothing as obviously lacking and easy to add as 1080p output, like last time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I can see them doing is announcing a revamp of the ATV ecosystem with its own app store. Games can be played with a new remote/controller stemming from the new stuff coming in iOS7.

Since they just updated it with a new hardware revision (that's probably making its way to the 5S and iPads), I could see Apple saying you need one of the newer ATVs to get this ATV Store/Games.

But I'd say that's unlikely (25% chance of it happening).

Or Apple could announce a Apple branded TV set that changes TV watching (~1% likely).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The current AppleTVs ship with the worst graphics chips and only 8GB of storage, so they can cost $99. If the AppleTV is going to get any apps that don't stream content off the Internet, they're going to have to rethink all that anyway, and ship something that costs much more. If any kind of hardware upgrade enables gaming on an AppleTV, it seems more likely they'd add some kind of Wii U-style dedicated wireless chip to reduce AirPlay Mirroring's latency, letting new iPhones and iPads do all the work.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

cbirdsong posted:

The current AppleTVs ship with the worst graphics chips and only 8GB of storage, so they can cost $99. If the AppleTV is going to get any apps that don't stream content off the Internet, they're going to have to rethink all that anyway, and ship something that costs much more. If any kind of hardware upgrade enables gaming on an AppleTV, it seems more likely they'd add some kind of Wii U-style dedicated wireless chip to reduce AirPlay Mirroring's latency, letting new iPhones and iPads do all the work.

Roku doesn't exactly use the pinnacle of computing hardware and manages to have a few games on their boxes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Got HBO Go login, tried to activate on my Apple TV, found out that my cable provider isn't supported for streaming...but only on an Apple TV. I can still airplay with my iPhone.

What-the-gently caress ever. God, if you needed proof that digital delivery is confusing the poo poo out of rights holders, there it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thwomp posted:

The only thing I can see them doing is announcing a revamp of the ATV ecosystem with its own app store. Games can be played with a new remote/controller stemming from the new stuff coming in iOS7.

Since they just updated it with a new hardware revision (that's probably making its way to the 5S and iPads), I could see Apple saying you need one of the newer ATVs to get this ATV Store/Games.

But I'd say that's unlikely (25% chance of it happening).

Or Apple could announce a Apple branded TV set that changes TV watching (~1% likely).
The recent update is functionally identical I think, iirc it's a true single core CPU vs just a die harvested dual core like the rest of the A5s.

cbirdsong posted:

It's the same GPU as the 4S, iPad 2 and iPad mini isn't it? Granted those aren't running 1080p (except through TV out) but it's serviceable enough, and games can just do the console thing where it renders lower res and scales up if necessary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

The recent update is functionally identical I think, iirc it's a true single core CPU vs just a die harvested dual core like the rest of the A5s.
I think there is a die shrink, also, which will be useful for future SoC revisions in terms of power usage, but in terms of processing power, there shouldn't be any difference from the original 3rd generation models.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

Got HBO Go login, tried to activate on my Apple TV, found out that my cable provider isn't supported for streaming...but only on an Apple TV. I can still airplay with my iPhone.

What-the-gently caress ever. God, if you needed proof that digital delivery is confusing the poo poo out of rights holders, there it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually started charging a fee to use HBOGo even after having the cable service. Everything seems to be going fee based, which is entirely lovely.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boxman posted:

Charter? poo poo is so annoying. I got excited when I saw they added it to Apple TV, but it turns I still just have to Airplay it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is Handbrake still the best Windows option for converting DVDs to something that can play on a stock Apple TV? I just realized the Mac mini I usually use to convert things has no DVD drive so I need to use my work PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I've been using Handbrake to covert my DVDs on my Win7 PC the last few WEEKS, it works great. I've been using iDentify on my Mac to tag the files since I've yet to find a Windows program that works half as well.

• Locked thread