Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Are you kidding me? These are the main reasons I read Naruto and Bleach. They're so stupid yet they're part of the three biggest manga series that Jump puts out, it's so great.

That's not even true anymore; I'm pretty sure Toriko sells better than Bleach now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Super Hollow Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra is a pretty drat good fight. I'd watch it. I like the guitar solo that pops up after SuperHollow tears off Ulquiorra's arm.

Here I'll even save you the trouble of looking for it. (Skip to about 1:00:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euqpuA9ojr8

Good god, why do the translators constantly use "whore" any time someone is referring to a female character in a derogatory manner? That totally isn't what is being said. While insults in Japanese do definitely warrant some sort of freedom in translation, that certainly isn't a good way to do it. Even if it's a insult that specifies gender, at least use "bitch" or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Are you kidding me? These are the main reasons I read Naruto and Bleach. They're so stupid yet they're part of the three biggest manga series that Jump puts out, it's so great.

Pretty sure Toriko has replaced Bleach with quite a while as the third part of the shonen triumvirate. Years probably at this stage. And Naruto will probably be finished soon, even if Bleach will probably take another 3 years or more to wrap up it's final arc. Wonder what the big 3 will be then? One Piece, Toriko and Assassination Classroom perhaps?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsob posted:

Pretty sure Toriko has replaced Bleach with quite a while as the third part of the shonen triumvirate. Years probably at this stage. And Naruto will probably be finished soon, even if Bleach will probably take another 3 years or more to wrap up it's final arc. Wonder what the big 3 will be then? One Piece, Toriko and Assassination Classroom perhaps?

Assassination Classroom isn't a battle manga and the basis premise (he has to be killed by the end of the school year) doesn't allow for the indefinite length necessary. It's also not an obvious vehicle for various video games and other merchandise.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

New chapter's up

http://www.mangapanda.com/bleach/543/2

Ishida vs Ichigo? And I wonder how Kirge knew about Ishida when no one else did, though I guess he may have just known the name.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last LIVING Quincy, huh. Guess that explains the whole Last Quincy business. Also, it's nice to see that the Quincies are just as dysfunctional as Soul Society.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wait a minute, what? Last quincy? Aren't these dudes all quincies? God drat it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait a minute, what? Last quincy? Aren't these dudes all quincies? God drat it.

Last living Quincy, and I guess this actually explains why Ishida was picked and why YWHACH (and likely the other Sternritter) were unable to operate outside of there realm for very long, with the shadow always pulling them back. They're dead, or at least Bach is, but are basically Quincy ghosts. The question is why all the other Quincy, if they're dead, thought they could be chosen as the successor.

In addition to, or perhaps alternatively, no one else may have the purity of bloodline Ishida does. While his mother wasn't a particularly pure Quincy, his father was. Ichigo, in comparison, had a non-Quincy father.

edit: More likely theory Ishida is being named Bach's successor, and given his letter, and basically being told he'll have all the powers Bach has. I think he's the last living Quincy could just be a bit or artistic license. None of the other Quincy there will be keeping there powers, because Ishida will be absorbing them just like Bach did. This also explains why Ryuuken isn't considered a Quincy too, though that can be justified by him largely turning his back on them.

Bach is naming a successor because he literally cannot act outside of his own pocket dimension for very long, as we saw with the attack on Soul Society.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 26, 2013

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Why do these dudes even care about the designated successor when their Emperor is an undying, thousand year lich thing anyway?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The most important part of the chapter was one of the sternritters being a walking Killer7 reference :allears:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Mask de MAsculine is the best name for a character ever. I love how ridiculous all of the Quincy names are.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lestaki posted:

Why do these dudes even care about the designated successor when their Emperor is an undying, thousand year lich thing anyway?

Well, either Uryu or Ichigo are probably his phylactery.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I told you dicks that As Nodt is alive. :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/read/bleach/44920207/1

Ishida no

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

So uhh if Ishida is the last living quincy, what the gently caress are these dudes even? Last I checked when you died, you ended up as a ghost/shinigami or a hollow.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

So uhh if Ishida is the last living quincy, what the gently caress are these dudes even? Last I checked when you died, you ended up as a ghost/shinigami or a hollow.

Zombie Nazi Archers in another Dimension©

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Uryuu now clad in white garb.

Oh Kubo... Unlike all those other times right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Uryuu now clad in white garb.

Oh Kubo... Unlike all those other times right?

It was cream before sheesh

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So half these guys were dead, and I'm seriously not interested in any of them. Mohawk guy was so buy-the-numbers it was crazy.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Way to gently caress up the pacing Kubo.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is that supposed to be be gift at the end, or is schrift a new thing? Maybe Ishida is being given a special new power by Ywach that'll define his letter I guess.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Are there ghost distilleries in these places? Every faction we've seen always has people serving alcohol. Where are the quincies getting the rice and sugar?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Clearly, we've finally found out where the non-Japanese people go when they die. :colbert:

Germans go to Quincyland. Spaniards get eaten in Hueco Mundo. Anglo-heaven not featured, because they're too busy drinking tea and playing cricket for all this uncivilised sword-pushing business, wot wot.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

tsob posted:

Is that supposed to be be gift at the end, or is schrift a new thing? Maybe Ishida is being given a special new power by Ywach that'll define his letter I guess.

"Schrift" is German for "handwriting" or "lettering".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

"A" is probably for Absorption.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Last living Quincy, and I guess this actually explains why Ishida was picked and why YWHACH (and likely the other Sternritter) were unable to operate outside of there realm for very long, with the shadow always pulling them back. They're dead, or at least Bach is, but are basically Quincy ghosts.
Does that mean Hueco Mundo is an exception for some reason then? They didn't seem to have an operating time limit there if they were able to stay there long enough to plant flags and call it their territory.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
so there is a difference between a Quincy and a Sternritter (star knight) then? Maybe Sternritter are shingami-esque former Quincy? just a little ambiguity with those words

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

hagie posted:

so there is a difference between a Quincy and a Sternritter (star knight) then? Maybe Sternritter are shingami-esque former Quincy? just a little ambiguity with those words

Seems to be a mostly arbitrary rank. What's the real difference between a lieutenant and any other seated officer? (Lieutenants who know bankai aside.) Also, having Schrift isn't a sufficient condition, since Opie had one. It seems like a necessary thing, though. All Sternritters have Schrift, but having Schrift doesn't make you a Sternritter.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

hiddenriverninja posted:

"A" is probably for Absorption.

It's obviously Asspull.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"Askin Nak Le Vaar"

Kubo's names are getting downright Gundamesque.

Also I guess all the other guys are just Quincy ghosts? And it's important that the successor be alive despite the fact that Ywhach himself is dead. Also I guess this means Ishida's dad is dead? Or does he not count because he doesn't actively hunt Hollows or whatever?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nilbop posted:

So half these guys were dead, and I'm seriously not interested in any of them. Mohawk guy was so buy-the-numbers it was crazy.
This here. I don't like Ichigo anymore, but I was interested in the past stuff because at least I liked Zangetsu and Hollow Ichigo.

Uryuu is okay, but I've never been as fond of him as most and he got written out of the last arc's final battle for gently caress's sake. Either way, him brooding in a few panels doesn't make up for the rest of the chapter being introductions to people who will either be cannon fodder or opponents for random captains and lieutenants that will have no impact on the actual story, just like in Hueco Mundo/Fake Karakura.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
You know some people may say this isn't in Ishida's character, but I would disagree. He's always been very vocal about his loyalty to his quincy heritage and hatred of shinigami. Every time he's helped Ichigo it's been because their goals were aligned. He stormed Soul Society because it was his chance for revenge on the people responsible for his grandfather's death, and he helped rescue Orihime because he considers her a friend and any opportunity to dust some hollows is a good one.

But mark my words, the lynchpin here will be that he doesn't know that Ywach is ultimately responsible for his mother's death.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hahahahahaha As Nodt is alive. :allears:

The eventual punking by Kenpachi will be so sweet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Wasn't the "I want revenge for my grandpa/want to help Orihime" line just an excuse and he really just wanted to help Ichigo but couldn't really say because of his loyalties to his father? That's certainly the impression I remember getting. I'm assuming the theory someone threw out a few posts back that it's some kind of phylactery thing is true and that Ywach wants a living heir either because his power would be greater in a living body than a dead one, and Ishida is the final boss (unlikely) or he'll take over Ishida's body at some point after the action kicks in and Ichigo will have to defeat him without killing Ishida. He's probably doing all this because he already knows about Ywach being responsible for his mother's death and this is the only plan he can think of to get revenge. Ishida has always been the cooler, more long-term plan type after all.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
In retaliation to this, Soul Society needs to make Chad the main captain's successor. It will only be fair :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, he needs to marry Sharktits and become the new King of Hueco Mondo. He's not a sword ghost, so he has no real place being in Soul Society.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Wait a minute, can Ishida steal a bankai now?

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Put me in the camp that thinks Ishida is undercover to some degree. His father is probably well aware of the Sternritter and I'm sure he was also contacted. He explains the situation to Uryuu, including the true death of his mother, and his grandfathers opposition to the Sternritters. Perhaps his grandfather also died to hollows because his Quincy power was absorbed. This gives Ishida plenty of reason to infiltrate their base, let them power him up, then oppose Bach. Hell, he was just made successor (will probably end the manga as this role) and he will use his power to revert the Qunicy to their old ways.

But that's just speculation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ArcaneTree posted:

Wait a minute, can Ishida steal a bankai now?

Good point. I want him to steal Renji's bankai, turn the snake in to a giant arrow and actually make it useful for once while Renji literally fades away on panel. Or Byakuya's, and start using all 1, 000 swords or whatever the compressed version has and start firing them off and then using them as remote weapons once he's done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Last living what? These guys forgot about arrowdad. :colbert:

• Locked thread