Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Kingnothing posted:

Been using build two for 10 minutes and already have 4 bug reports. Yay.

That is really good to know. It's not like this is an unreleased version of an operation that you're either under NDA for or have gotten illegally. Please post more details and screenshots here. Also post your Apple ID please, Apple may be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

flavor posted:

That is really good to know. It's not like this is an unreleased version of an operation that you're either under NDA for or have gotten illegally. Please post more details and screenshots here. Also post your Apple ID please, Apple may be interested.

Christ, relax. He wasn't talking about specifics, he simply stated the beta had a few bugs.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flavor posted:

Who peed in *your* cereals, jesus?

Kingnothing posted:

Been using build two for 10 minutes and already have 4 bug reports. Yay.
10.x.0 releases are always pure garbage.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

evil_bunnY posted:

10.x.0 releases are always pure garbage.

A developer preview is not a 10.x.0 release. You either don't know what a release is or you're using a pre-release version to confirm your preconceived idea that 10.9.0 will be "pure garbage". This is completely baseless and one of the problems NDAs address.

And I really don't see where at least the first versions of the last three OS X releases were "pure garbage". (I haven't used any earlier ones.) To me that would mean that they'd have major showstopper bugs, lack major functionality or similar. None of which was the case for most users. (Yes, any given version of any OS has some bugs, but that's not what you're on about.)

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 26, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

flavor posted:

Ah! There you are! The glorious dick White Knight has come to protect thy Apple!

Your comments have me wondering -- if he posts his Apple ID and screen shots what are you planning to do? In your NDA agreement that you got with your "Developer" account does it explicitly say in there to be a loving baby and report anyone you suspect to be violating it?

Let's also take for a moment that he's obtained his copy illegally, which you accused him of in your alternative to breaking NDA statement. Hasn't he already taken the time to give Apple his ID, screen shots, system logs and all other relevant information in order to open the bug? Yeah, probably.

Since we're making lots of assumptions I'm going to make one. You haven't even read the entire NDA.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

flavor posted:

(Yes, any given version of any OS has some bugs, but that's not what you're on about.)
Yes go ahead and tell us what I'm thinking. The big thing with 10.8 was the garbage battery life, but they're always unpolished. I'm sure 10.9 will be different and awesome, with all the ground-breaking poo poo they've been implementing.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Does anyone have a solution for YouTube comments being buggy in Safari?
I've tried:
  • Factory reseting the browser
  • Launching in 32-bit mode
  • Launching in low resolution mode
YouTube comments still look like this

I know YouTube comments are usually complete poo poo anyway, but this is still annoying me enough to use Chrome

Model:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
One solution, join Youtube feather :v:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Not really ideal :cheeky:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That YouTube feather thing is pretty neat, might enable that for some older machines I have.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

101 posted:

Does anyone have a solution for YouTube comments being buggy in Safari?
I've tried:
  • Factory reseting the browser
  • Launching in 32-bit mode
  • Launching in low resolution mode
YouTube comments still look like this

I know YouTube comments are usually complete poo poo anyway, but this is still annoying me enough to use Chrome

Model:

Just use chrome for YouTube. That's what I've resorted to. I use Firefox or safari for everything else, but chrome for YouTube.

flavor posted:

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to state that I was doing exactly what I'm supposed to do when using beta? Seriously? I didn't even give specifics about bugs, let alone even what type of bugs they are.

Chill out man.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I need some advice guys!
This week-end I'm in charge of music for a party my company is holding. I'm going to bring my mac as well as my sound system and I wanted a simple app to work as a jukebox, in that my complete library would be there then people could add songs they like to be played next. I'd like something very simple so that no one goes and fucks up my mac.

Something like http://www.silverjuke.com/ but free, if that exists somewhere?

Anyone has any clue?

EDIT: Well I'm using the Silverjuke demo currently and there seem to be no limitations so I'll probably go with that. However if anyone knows a free solution I'd rather have that.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 28, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not just use iTunes and the "Up Next" feature? You can even control it via an iPhone/iPad, and add music that way too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone else experienced constant Safari crashes? I'm 99% sure it happens whenever it tries to run Flash.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Has anyone else experienced constant Safari crashes? I'm 99% sure it happens whenever it tries to run Flash.

Safari never crashes for me but I'm on 10.6 maybe you should be more specific about your setup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I had a crapload for a while but disabling some extensions and/or a Safari update got it stable again for me.

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012
Here's a random question that may or may not be due to hardware.

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro and a Mid 2007 (GMA 950) White MacBook. The MacBook Pro is running 10.8 and the MacBook is running 10.7. When I shut them down at night, the MacBook Pro takes a significantly longer time to shutdown, while the MacBook is near instant. Is this normal with 10.8 or is there something I'm missing?

The only extra menu items and apps I would be running are Evernote and Dropbox. Even shutting them down individually results in a longer shutdown screen.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SparkPeople posted:

Is this normal with 10.8 or is there something I'm missing?
10.8 broke shutdown time in a spectacular way. It's a frequently reported issue.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

10.8 broke shutdown time in a spectacular way. It's a frequently reported issue.

I would concur with this. My iMac came with 10.8.2 and the Fusion drive. Shutdown and restart was pretty much instant. 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 are much slower to restart and shutdown. I'm hearing good things about 10.9 though.

I did a fresh install of 10.8.4 last night, which made absolutely zero difference.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I have a huge network of Macs with ssh/Remote Desktop enabled.

I also have a file server that I finished setting up.

I want to make it so that EVERY computer on the network automatically mounts the shared folder on the server and has a shortcut on the desktop.

What's the easiest way to do this?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
After mounting the drive on each mac, go to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and drag the mounts there, and it'll automatically reconnect on login.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

theperminator posted:

After mounting the drive on each mac, go to Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and drag the mounts there, and it'll automatically reconnect on login.

That's not the problem -- I'm looking for an easier way to set all of them.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Pretty sure you can AppleScript that. Are all your macs connected to a Mac server? If not you'd have to mass-email the script then have people click on it I reckon.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

tarepanda posted:

That's not the problem -- I'm looking for an easier way to set all of them.

You should be able to do this with AppleScript or possibly Automator. I'd build in two checks--check to see if the drive's mounted already and mount it if not, then check login items for the network drive mount and add it if it's not there.

After a little poking, I found this which generally deals with the same stuff. You should be able to tailor it to your needs. All of the functions you'll need are there, it'll just be a matter of picking apart the pieces and arranging them in the proper if statements.

http://macstuff.beachdogs.org/blog/?p=30

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Thanks!

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I use an app called Drive Mounter to do it. Works great.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Gnomedolf posted:

I use an app called Drive Mounter to do it. Works great.

Again, the issue isn't the actual mounting and shortcutting, but running it on a bunch of physically separate machines with a minimum of hassle. I phrased it badly last night when I posted -- I've been pulling 13+ hour days all week long.

Basically we have 300ish computers that I need to do this to and I'd rather not be running around four separate buildings for a day to do it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tarepanda posted:

Again, the issue isn't the actual mounting and shortcutting, but running it on a bunch of physically separate machines with a minimum of hassle. I phrased it badly last night when I posted -- I've been pulling 13+ hour days all week long.

Basically we have 300ish computers that I need to do this to and I'd rather not be running around four separate buildings for a day to do it.

If you have Lion server or better, you should be able to configure it via that and push it out to everything. There's probably some other ways to do it, too, but I remember being able to specify shares when creating policies for mac users.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm seriously looking at the 2013 13.3" MacBook Air. I'm a Windows user but the laptop's role is basically to take notes, write some stuff, maybe draw a few pictures and browse the web. Nothing strenuous. My only apprehensions is that being a Windows user I'm pretty integrated with Google stuffs. How is Firefox for Mac? Speed is not really an issue (I don't care if it's 15ms slower or whatever) but all my bookmarks are synced to it and I'd like to keep it that way.

Options for opening and editing .docx files? I do a lot of writing of my desktop but I like to take my notes with me (RPG game notes usually) so being able to edit .docx files on the go would be nice. I'm pretty sure that's it. I hate iTunes but I don't listen to music or films on laptops anyway so that's a non-issue. I'll probably Boot Camp for the occasional Windows game.

Is there anything else I should know going from Windows to OS X?

Edit: I just noticed the OP is actually laid out :downs: But my questions aren't really covered I guess.

lua
Jun 16, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

How is Firefox for Mac? Speed is not really an issue (I don't care if it's 15ms slower or whatever) but all my bookmarks are synced to it and I'd like to keep it that way.

It's less popular than Webkit browsers (Chrome and Safari) among Mac users because its UI feels a bit out of place on OS X, but that's not really a big deal, if it's your favoured browser you'll probably find it fine.

syntaxfunction posted:

Options for opening and editing .docx files? I do a lot of writing of my desktop but I like to take my notes with me (RPG game notes usually) so being able to edit .docx files on the go would be nice.

If the files are super basic, TextEdit (which is like Wordpad) will handle them decently them for free. Beyond that and ignoring free office suites, it's Word or Pages. Word is vaguely lovely (ugly UI, slow to start up, etc) but it works perfectly fine. Pages is a really good app, but for some unfathomable reason won't save to .docx. It opens .docx files fine, it exports to .doc fine, but it cannot save a .docx. If you don't mind switching to .doc or .pages, I'd buy Pages. If you need 100% compatibility with Office files, I'd buy Word, but it's not an enormously pleasant app to use.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Everything lua said is accurate about Word etc, but I thought I'd chip in a recommendation: unless you're actually laying out text on paper, you might consider migrating off Word to a better tool, whether on OS X or Windows. Word is a pretty lovely tool for writing compared to something a bit more lightweight and web-suitable.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I just switched to a MacBook myself. Overall I'm very pleased with the switch. If you've got a Windows license and an Office for Windows license already available (which it sounds like you do), then buy Parallels. It is very impressive. Basically you'll be running the Windows version of Office off a Windows VM perfectly alongside the regular OS X software. BTW I'm also running Firefox and it's just fine. There is even a Stylish theme to make the UI look like Safari.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

As a Frontend Developer / Interaction Designer, I spend most of my time in browsers, and this is how I feel the current state of performance is for each browser on my 2012 Retina 15" MBP

1.) Safari is the fastest browser in terms of performance, scrolling is really fast on it. This is the most apparent when I'm browsing on Tumblr, or anything with infinite scroll. It seems to handle Javascript really efficiently in regards to performance.

2.) Chrome is awesome its second in line when it comes to performance, It can get a little lovely when doing infinite scroll or some heavy content websites, but it gets there. Scrolling seems smooth unless the content is still sideloading.

3.) Firefox is a joke, the javascript engine is just slow, and the performance of the browser is terrible... Only thing I open Firefox for is to test Firefox specific CSS on it...

Now that's anecdotal yes, however I use Chrome 99% of the time, with Safari being the browser I use when I need to log into a website that uses Java (no java plugin for Chrome yet) If Safari had a inbuilt translator like Chrome did, I would switch in a heartbeat. Finally (little off topic) as a developer, Chrome's inspection tool is the best, followed by Firefox's.. Safari's is ok too, but since it's a webkit browser there really isn't a specific need in 99% of the cases to do any inspection tool work in safari, over chrome. (There are some edge cases)

All chrome needs is a mac java plugin, and to make scrolling smoother on content heavy pages that employ any kind of javascript to manipulate the DOM, such as infinite scroll.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

All Chrome, 'The World's Most loving Advanced Browser,' has to do is come out in a 64-bit version on OS X for Java to work.

At the moment, you can either blame Oracle for only deciding to make a 64-bit version of Java on OS X, or you could blame Google for not doing anything for almost five years about making Chrome 64-bit. You can technically dumb yourself down and run Java 6 which comes in 32- bit and 64-bit on OS X (because Apple was maintaining it up until last year or so) but it'd be a security nightmare.

You'd think with their massive development power, they could get around to doing this but maybe it's because they put Vince Vaughn in charge of 64-bit development (yes, I saw the movie The Internship). Or more likely it's politically motivated, why make stuff running on a competitor's platform better? Even Firefox runs in 64-bit on the Mac and that's open source, its what people use if Safari shits on a particular Java app.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Or like most people, they just don't give a gently caress about Java in the browser

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

Or like most people, they just don't give a gently caress about Java in the browser

Totally. The sooner it dies proper, the better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In certain sectors, like banking, engineering, and science you sure as hell aren't going to get rid of it. Also, try running the latest PhotoShop or Norton/Symantec AntiVirus- when you first install them in OS X now, they ask you to install a Java runtime if you haven't already. I'd love to handwave it away too, but there's a large business behind Java, not just Oracle.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm seriously looking at the 2013 13.3" MacBook Air. I'm a Windows user but the laptop's role is basically to take notes, write some stuff, maybe draw a few pictures and browse the web. Nothing strenuous. My only apprehensions is that being a Windows user I'm pretty integrated with Google stuffs. How is Firefox for Mac? Speed is not really an issue (I don't care if it's 15ms slower or whatever) but all my bookmarks are synced to it and I'd like to keep it that way.

Options for opening and editing .docx files? I do a lot of writing of my desktop but I like to take my notes with me (RPG game notes usually) so being able to edit .docx files on the go would be nice. I'm pretty sure that's it. I hate iTunes but I don't listen to music or films on laptops anyway so that's a non-issue. I'll probably Boot Camp for the occasional Windows game.

Is there anything else I should know going from Windows to OS X?

Edit: I just noticed the OP is actually laid out :downs: But my questions aren't really covered I guess.

I just bout A 2013 MBA for my wife who is quite experienced in using a pc, but wouldn't have a clue on setting up a new machine, let lone a different OS.

With a slight help from me, she is now flying along and really likes it, more so than her net book that this replaced.

It was my foray into a different OS as well and I had no troubles getting used to it. It's a little daunting at first but there are so many guides on the net that your only a search away if you get stuck.

I guess what I'm saying is do it, you won't regret it. 10+ hours on a single charge is amazing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
KeyRemap4MacBook was the biggest thing for me. It made life a hundred times easier for me on the mac since I use home/end a lot and also had various IME things that didn't work out so well on the Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

In certain sectors, like banking, engineering, and science you sure as hell aren't going to get rid of it. Also, try running the latest PhotoShop or Norton/Symantec AntiVirus- when you first install them in OS X now, they ask you to install a Java runtime if you haven't already. I'd love to handwave it away too, but there's a large business behind Java, not just Oracle.

I realize native java is here for the long haul, especially within dinosaur organizations. I was referring to browser-based java, which is about as universally acknowledged as a failed experiment as anything in computing can be.