Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Some random things most of them Robo related.

Are any of you going to Gencon this year? There is one robo game there to play.
I finally got around to reading that comixology issue and goddamn that was pretty awesome. I hope you guys can do more sometime.
Hyperactive could you make a new thread? I feel my OP isn't very good and you could probably do better with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Just found one in the works a few days ago, so good timing!

Surprised there's only one ARRPG at Gencon though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Just found one in the works a few days ago, so good timing!

Surprised there's only one ARRPG at Gencon though.

Yeah so was I. It's based on the She-devils story it sounds like and the DM is a lady so maybe I won't get almost raped this year. Do you know when the book comes out?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I finally got around to reading the Real Science Adventures TBP and Oh My God this Bruce Lee story is everything I read robot comics for, thank you.

Also, woah, TF2? That... fits into Robo's world really well now that I think of it. Awesome.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I finally got around to reading the Real Science Adventures TBP and Oh My God this Bruce Lee story is everything I read robot comics for, thank you.

Also, woah, TF2? That... fits into Robo's world really well now that I think of it. Awesome.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Edit: I might just have that new OP ready for Monday or Tuesday. My parents were visiting all last week, so I'm in catch up mode.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

There weren't enough hats in that TF2 short. There also aren't enough robo themed hats in TF2.

Which gets me to thinking. What is it like to have a bunch of liscences floating out there? How many agreements do you have, and what degree of control do you maintain?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

A.o.D. posted:

What is it like to have a bunch of liscences floating out there?
I'll let you know when we get there.

We're hooked up with Evil Hat for RPG material. Both parties are only committed to the "main" book, but both parties are strongly interested in providing supplements. There's a TON of material there, but whether or not we'll see it depends on sales of the main book.

We're hooked up with The Fictory for the single free animation coming out in June and the mobile game they made based on it.

That's basically it.

quote:

How many agreements do you have, and what degree of control do you maintain?
With the RPG we had near total control. With the game and animation we've been largely hands off beyond providing notes and ideas to get the final product as consistent with the comics as we can without it getting silly.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Because of this thread I've been re-reading all my Robo trades. I have 1-6 and will buy 7 and Real Science Adventures once I'm done re-reading. I'm enjoying it just as much as I did the first time through.

I love Scott's art, noticing all the little cool things he puts in there. As a firearms enthusiast I especially like all the cool futuristic guns he gives to Robo and the Action Scientists, and the attention to detail for historic weapons like in the WWII scenes. Though I'd think that Jenkins would have better trigger discipline! I know he's an elite killer, but what if someone bumps him or something?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Anything that has the temerity to bump Jenkins is never afforded a second opportunity to do so. For Jenkins straight murders them, you see.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Robo sale on comixology .99 cent issues and $5 trades.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Now with super link action.

Vol 7 doesn't appear to be on sale, so I'm trying to find out if that's intentional or not. Hoping not!

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hyperactive posted:

Vol 7 doesn't appear to be on sale, so I'm trying to find out if that's intentional or not. Hoping not!

That would be nice if it were on sale, as I already have 1-6.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Just got done reading the new Robo.

Did Wegener change up his inking style for this one or something? It seems more "cartoony," for want of a better word, than usual.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Nope. Just a natural evolution of his Vol 7 art.

Fun fact: we haven't inked a single page since Vol 3.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I was pleasantly surprised to see a volume of Atomic Robo in a library here in Chile. You've finally made it Hyperactive! You've finally reached the coveted market of the longest country in the world.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just finished volume 7 issue one, and god dammit if that reveal and twitch didn't get me. Loved it! Can't wait for more dr dinosaur.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I seriously can't wait for the trade for 8 to come out. I have 1-7 and RSA already.

I fell in love with this series when a friend got me a copy of Vol 1, part 6 for FCBD a few years back, and it's one of the reasons I still have a Comixology account. Because any comic that recognizes the Cube-Square law (Even if it destroys it horribly and utterly) is worth a purchase.

Now, just as a general question, are there any other comics you could recommend for me? Aside from this, some classic Batman stories, Watchman and Mega Man comics, my comic book library is distinctly lacking. I wish to remedy this.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 9, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
The Volume 7 trade has been on the shelves for a good while. I just ordered it from Amazon and it will be here tomorrow.

^Nice edit :argh:

Martello fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 9, 2013

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Holy poo poo, there's an Atomic Robo Kickstarter campaign and I'm going to own a Tesladyne coffee mug someday soon :dance: I still want a Tesladyne t-shirt with "Remain calm, trust in science" on it but this is a drat fine start.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

rantmo posted:

Holy poo poo, there's an Atomic Robo Kickstarter campaign and I'm going to own a Tesladyne coffee mug someday soon :dance: I still want a Tesladyne t-shirt with "Remain calm, trust in science" on it but this is a drat fine start.

Soon I shall be among the ranks of the Action Scientist! And look, no Red Shirts! This deal just keeps coming up J.A.B.C.!

I donated. That's what I wanted to say.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

rantmo posted:

drat, that's great. And painful for my wallet. There go 90 € which could have gone to buy games during the coming Steam sale, games I'll never play!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

rantmo posted:

I should just start depositing my paychecks directly into Kickstarter, too many cool things lately.

I want to see a Tesladyne lunchbox as a stretch goal. Or even better a Dr Dinosaur Lunchbox.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I just missed a chance at the top tier :( God damnit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo that's the best Kickstarter ever.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
Awesome, pledged.

Great job on it too, excellent presentation!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just gave you guys money for your kickstarter can't wait to have my coffee cup.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

rantmo posted:

How are you guys making money on this? The stretch goals you guys have mean that putting up even $30 gets you a ridiculous amount of swag?!

I backed for $30 originally mostly for the Atom print, but I just looked at it again today due to seeing your post on red5 about stretch goals, and holy poo poo.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

KGBAgent185 posted:

How are you guys making money on this? The stretch goals you guys have mean that putting up even $30 gets you a ridiculous amount of swag?!

I backed for $30 originally mostly for the Atom print, but I just looked at it again today due to seeing your post on red5 about stretch goals, and holy poo poo.
The more backers we have, the more funds we have to put into fulfilling orders as a total, but at the same time the individual cost of each item goes down. So, it's a balancing act. We're sure we won't lose money on the campaign, but we aren't entirely sure if we'll make a profit.

Or, more accurately, we're pretty sure we'll make a profit, but it might be such a thin slice of the $100,000+, and then split between us, that we may as well have broken even. If that makes sense.

But, hey, fans have been asking for this kind of stuff for years, so let's give it to 'em. Profits be damned.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Is this building a merchandise stock too so that you can sell stuff and make future profits?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

The more backers we have, the more funds we have to put into fulfilling orders as a total, but at the same time the individual cost of each item goes down. So, it's a balancing act. We're sure we won't lose money on the campaign, but we aren't entirely sure if we'll make a profit.

Or, more accurately, we're pretty sure we'll make a profit, but it might be such a thin slice of the $100,000+, and then split between us, that we may as well have broken even. If that makes sense.

But, hey, fans have been asking for this kind of stuff for years, so let's give it to 'em. Profits be damned.

I'm still extremely excited for my hardcover book and coffee mug, seriously. And I'm really excited that it managed to top $100,000. I was actually getting a little worried that it'd die off towards the end and fall just short, but now we all get bigger books!

Seriously though, I really appreciate you guys doing this. It's really cool and I hope that you can either do it again in the future, or spawn a Robo merchandising empire out of it.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
drat, congrats on $100,000!

So tempted to up my pledge to get a sketch. Also kudos to whoever posted the Homer gif with that update, too loving good.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I threw some money at the kickstarter to get the book and the coffee cup, good luck shipping all that extra swag out to Australia for $20.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hyperactive posted:

This is why we throw our money at you, you know. You're all like 'screw the profits, let's make cool poo poo!' and we're all like 'OMYTESLA TAKE OUR NOT BITCOINS!' and you're all like 'Oh, cool, let's make more cool poo poo with these funds.'

That and because Atomic Robo is awesome. That could have a part in it.

Also, you never factored in that the caliber of men who engage in spontaneous back-alley Warhammer 40K games would simply print their digital rulers off at the library. In bulk. To ensure they are prepare for WAARG! So there is that.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Seriously though, I really appreciate you guys doing this. It's really cool and I hope that you can either do it again in the future, or spawn a Robo merchandising empire out of it.
That is the plan! If we can't found an empire, we'll just make new campaigns with different but also cool goodies.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

That is the plan! If we can't found an empire, we'll just make new campaigns with different but also cool goodies.

What I'm getting from this is you won't be happy until you have all of our money, forever. Should we just start telling our banks to direct deposit paychecks to your account?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I finally got Volume 7. I like the story a lot but the art has changed significantly and I can't say I prefer the new style. I get that Scott's obviously gonna draw the book however he wants to, just stating I'm not a big fan of the change.

Although it looks like he swung back the other way just a bit from the Volume 8 previews I've seen. Maybe it's just Filardi's colors? Seems like he hadn't really hit his stride in Volume 7, some of the art looked a little muddled and the color seemed a bit off, especially Robo's eyes.

Either way, I still love this series and will continue buying everything that comes out. Also gonna donate to the kickstarter, of course!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What I'm getting from this is you won't be happy until you have all of our money, forever. Should we just start telling our banks to direct deposit paychecks to your account?

Yes.

Martello posted:

I finally got Volume 7. I like the story a lot but the art has changed significantly and I can't say I prefer the new style. I get that Scott's obviously gonna draw the book however he wants to, just stating I'm not a big fan of the change.

Although it looks like he swung back the other way just a bit from the Volume 8 previews I've seen. Maybe it's just Filardi's colors? Seems like he hadn't really hit his stride in Volume 7, some of the art looked a little muddled and the color seemed a bit off, especially Robo's eyes.

Either way, I still love this series and will continue buying everything that comes out. Also gonna donate to the kickstarter, of course!
Yeah, Vol 7 was a weird one. Nick didn't have any time to prep for the series. We had to RUN to get things done and just make notes about what to do differently in the future. And, surprise, Vol 8 is a much better representation of Nick's work and Scott's "new" style and how those can be put together.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
For anyone looking to pick up issue 2 of volume 8, it is up on comixology now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I like how you have to keep posting new stretch goals. This is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
This is an amazing Kickstarter, I am really looking forward to this, it's amazing, YOU'RE amazing. I'm gushing.

Any insights on the campaign from the other side? Is this what you guys were expecting or are you just totally floored by the outpouring of support for Robo (and Dr. Dino?)

• Locked thread