Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Galsia posted:

I called the clinic and they said that taking a Valium before the procedure is fine but I can't take it until I have signed the consent form. The procedure takes place immediately after signing the form. I understand that it takes at least an hour before it takes effect so doing so would be pointless. Should I just take it an hour before the procedure and not inform them
I've not been watching the thread so far too late to advise you but just so you know in the UK surgeons want to meet you totally sober and have you sign the consent form before you take anything. In America it is the norm for them to dish out pills like candy to patients. How did it go anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005
I took the pill about an hour before I arrived at the hospital and it isn't seem to have any effect so I didn't mention it to them. I was relaxed all day anyway.

There was a problem though, the surgeon said that my eyes were slightly smaller than average so there might be some difficulty in keeping my eye in place while they cut the flap. He recommended LASEK instead because there was a chance that LASIK would have to be abandoned if I went through with it.

The procedure was a breeze, just some pressure while the alcohol was applied. I was fine until about four hours later and then the pain kicked in. I've had to wear a blindfold for the last two days as I've been so sensitive to light. It feels like I've been rubbing raw onions in my eyes.

It's now just over 56 hours since the surgery and I can just about open my eyes again but I can feel the bandage contact lenses rubbing.

Can anybody give me a timeline of what my recovery should be? At my checkup yesterday the surgeon said it went really well and my vision was much better than average at this stage.

Should I still be trying to keeps eyes closed as much as possible?

Thanks.
(I apologise for any spelling errors,my eyes are blurry as poo poo)

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Does Lasek and LASIK have two totally different recovery methods? I have my LASIK scheduled for Wednesday and the idea was I could go back to work the next day.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

89 posted:

Does Lasek and LASIK have two totally different recovery methods? I have my LASIK scheduled for Wednesday and the idea was I could go back to work the next day.

From what I've read Lasek is more painful and has a longer recovery time.

Galsia posted:

Can anybody give me a timeline of what my recovery should be? At my checkup yesterday the surgeon said it went really well and my vision was much better than average at this stage.

It could take a week or two before you feel normal.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I wouldn't go to work the next day. Your vision will be pretty weird and your eyes will be extremely dry. Well, if your work doesn't involve staring at a computer screen, I guess it's fine but bring lots of eyedrops.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
In the waiting room now. Wannnaaaaa get it over with :(.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

89 posted:

In the waiting room now. Wannnaaaaa get it over with :(.

You shouldn't be reading before the operation. :v:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So it's been about a year since my PRK and overall, things went pretty well. I've got 20/20 with both eyes, 20/25 in my left, and 20/20 in my right.

But I do have a slight prescription in the right eye. Trying to read with that eye is blurry; not to the point I can't read, but it's annoying. Squinting with it helps, but that's probably not ideal.

Is this something worth taking the risk of further zapping over? My surgeon is willing, but I'm worried I might lose my 20/20 joint vision. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LASEK is basically PRK. The recovery period is longer, but there are fewer complications. I had my 2 week checkup last week and was already at 20/25.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Naramyth posted:

You shouldn't be reading before the operation. :v:
Why? I have never heard this before.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Welp, went through it all and it wasn't that bad. Once I was actually on the operating table, I was on it for maybe 10 minutes max. I started to feel a little pain when they were messing with the flap, I think? So, they gave me another drop to numbs my eye and it was all good. Felt like I was in some crazy movie with the eye suction and whatnot. But, it felt like as soon as they were working on my eye, it was done a little after. The operating room was like something out of Nip/Tuck with the music in the surgery room (AC/DC's Thunderstruck) and unrelated conversation amongst the doctors (comparing how the adrenaline rush of sky diving might be like taking cocaine).

Anyways, just now waking up from my 5 hour sleep after surgery and things are cloudy and a little blurry, but my vision is starting to come in :)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Beep Street posted:

Why? I have never heard this before.

When they were measuring my eyes they couldn't get a good read because my eyes would keep jumping back and forth. They asked me if I had caffeine (yup morning coffee) and if I was reading before coming in (yup surfing SA in the waiting room). They had to measure my right eye the day of instead the week before because of that. So I didn't read or have coffee before coming in for the procedure.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Just had LASIK done yesterday morning at LASIK MD in Calgary. Before the surgery, they squirted half a bottle of numbing drops into my eyes, but no Valium or anything. The surgery was very straightforward and the surgeon walked through every step with me, so I was very calm. All of my friends are either helping with flood recovery or had their vehicles put out of commission from the flood, so I took the bus and then walked a mile home with my eyes shut. The rest of the day kind of sucked. I had to bust out an analogue clock because I couldn't look at my phone and set it to wake me up every hour so I could put more eye drops in. If you aren't sleeping during this time, you're sitting with your eyes shut for that alarm to go off. I did that for 12 hours before going to bed for good (while wearing sunglasses like a good boy).

When I woke up this morning, my eyelids felt like they were clamped shut from all the residue of the eyedrops stuck in my eyelashes. I busted them open and headed to my 24 hour follow up on the bus with my eyes closed and sunglasses on. After the exam, the doctor told me I had 20/20 vision, and that I could wipe the poo poo off of my eyes. I was also advised to up my steroid and lubrication drop frequency because of a bruise on my right eye and more than regular swelling. I've been going without sunglasses indoors since then and my eyesight is pretty epic.

I would recommend vision correction surgery to pretty much anybody under the age of 35 who uses glasses. It cost me $3300 for both eyes and I had to use vacation time to nap and masturbate for half a day, but now I don't have to worry about poo poo falling off of my face and looking like a dork.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Naramyth posted:

When they were measuring my eyes they couldn't get a good read because my eyes would keep jumping back and forth. They asked me if I had caffeine (yup morning coffee) and if I was reading before coming in (yup surfing SA in the waiting room). They had to measure my right eye the day of instead the week before because of that. So I didn't read or have coffee before coming in for the procedure.
WTF? You must have insanely jittery eyes or maybe a very strong reaction to caffeine? No laser surgery companies that I'm aware of ask customers not to read or drink coffee before the consultation or the surgery.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I had my surgery yesterday and I can see drat well out of my left eye, but my right eye is blurry. When I went in for my check up today they said the flaps look absolutely perfect and everything looks great, just my right eye has some swelling. Which, should go away. Anybody here have that problem?

Also, how long should I take these prescribed eye drops? A week? Olfoxacin & Prednisolone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

89 posted:

I had my surgery yesterday and I can see drat well out of my left eye, but my right eye is blurry. When I went in for my check up today they said the flaps look absolutely perfect and everything looks great, just my right eye has some swelling. Which, should go away. Anybody here have that problem?

Also, how long should I take these prescribed eye drops? A week? Olfoxacin & Prednisolone.

When I got LASIK on my left eye back in the day it was about three days of swelling, but it wasn't a big deal, just had to keep up with the drops.

Not sure WHY I got LASIK, I'm amblyopic, but there you go

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

Did you have intralase? A lot of people get swelling from the suction. As for drops probably a week but you should call the clinic and check. Did they not even tell you how long to use drops for? Some clinics give you written instructions so you don't forget.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Beep Street posted:

Did you have intralase? A lot of people get swelling from the suction. As for drops probably a week but you should call the clinic and check. Did they not even tell you how long to use drops for? Some clinics give you written instructions so you don't forget.

I believe it was interlase as I had suction on my eyes to keep my eyelids open. I know they told me, I've just had a bit of an information overload. I just spent a little bit looking through my stuff and found my post procedure instructions that fell out of my bag. Looks like I'll be taking them for a week.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

I believe it was interlase as I had suction on my eyes to keep my eyelids open.

The suction is not to keep eyelids in place it is to keep your eyeball in place whilst a laser creates a flap. There should have been clamps for your eyelids.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Beep Street posted:

WTF? You must have insanely jittery eyes or maybe a very strong reaction to caffeine? No laser surgery companies that I'm aware of ask customers not to read or drink coffee before the consultation or the surgery.

IDK man. I figured it was a relatively common thing since they nailed both things that I did that morning. :iiam:

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005
Last Thursday was 1 week since my LASEK procedure. My vision had continued to improve but my bandage lenses were starting to get a little tiresome. I went down to London for my first follow-up checkup.

After examining my eyes and reading out a few lines on the Snellen chart I was told that I my healing was going well and I was reading much better than expected, better than 20/20 even.

Once the bandage lenses were removed it was a relief but started to feel uncomfortable in a different way. I was told that this is normal. My vision is now pretty poor after the removeal of the lenses but I have been told that this should improve again by the weekend and to expect my eyes to fluctuate during the next couple of weeks.

I hope it recovers quickly because I can't see bugger all at the moment! Its now Sarurday and I still can't see poo poo. :(

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, what's the general idea on drinking after LASIK? I've seen things that have claimed you can drink 48 hours after the procedure....all the way to waiting 3 weeks. I'm not planning on getting poo poo hammered, but when's the next time I can go have a few beers with the friends one night?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

89 posted:

So, what's the general idea on drinking after LASIK? I've seen things that have claimed you can drink 48 hours after the procedure....all the way to waiting 3 weeks. I'm not planning on getting poo poo hammered, but when's the next time I can go have a few beers with the friends one night?

Just don't drink for 3 weeks. These are your eyes for God's sake.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

89 posted:

Well you shouldn't do anything stupid but terrible anecdotal evidence to justify whatever you want! :eng101:

I got my procedure done on a Wednesday, Took the next day off, went out on Friday and got so drunk I wound up sleeping on my bathroom floor (but I did put my drops in).

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

89 posted:

With intralase the flap should be fully sealed within 2-4 days. The reason some companies say don't drink for 3 weeks is so you don't get drunk off your rear end, fall and knock your eyeballs out or something and then try and blame them for your lovely decisions. If you feel ok and your vision is fine after a few days you should be fine to have some beers.

It's amazing how many people ask if they can have a drink BEFORE the procedure. :negative:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I drank two days after PRK and was fine. But I'm an expert drinker so I wouldn't try that at home.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody here have swelling from the intralase? My right eye is still 2-3x blurrier than my left from the swelling. My vision is starting to come to, which is awesome. But, it'd be way better if my right eye saw the same as my left does right now. Wondering how long it may take for the swelling to go down. I got the hard part with the surgery out of the way, I'm just anxious to get to the results I guess :). It's been 4 days since surgery.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

Anybody here have swelling from the intralase? My right eye is still 2-3x blurrier than my left from the swelling. My vision is starting to come to, which is awesome. But, it'd be way better if my right eye saw the same as my left does right now. Wondering how long it may take for the swelling to go down. I got the hard part with the surgery out of the way, I'm just anxious to get to the results I guess :). It's been 4 days since surgery.
Been 11 days since the surgery and my right eye still is having the same results. It's starting to look better, but I still can't really read anything with my left eye covered up. Seems like it has very minorly approved, but it's hard to tell. I've got another checkup on Thursday, but this happen to anybody else? I hope I don't have to have it corrected.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

89 posted:

Been 11 days since the surgery and my right eye still is having the same results. It's starting to look better, but I still can't really read anything with my left eye covered up. Seems like it has very minorly approved, but it's hard to tell. I've got another checkup on Thursday, but this happen to anybody else? I hope I don't have to have it corrected.

I didn't have that exact issue but over the course of actually the first few months one can experience different short-term oddities.

I had strange ghosting appear months after the surgery for a week or two.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Zogo posted:

I didn't have that exact issue but over the course of actually the first few months one can experience different short-term oddities.

I had strange ghosting appear months after the surgery for a week or two.

Yeah, I kind of had some ghosting yesterday and woke up today feeling fine other than the usual right eye blurriness.

I think I just had my hopes up that my eyes would be mostly settled out a week after surgery. I'm just ready to freakin' work out again and stop canceling swimming trips.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Going for my initial eye exam tomorrow at Lasik Plus. One thing I've seen a lot of while browsing through this thread is LASIK is a wonderful thing to get if you're 35 or younger. I'm 37 and have a relatively light prescription for myopia. Is it being suggested that at my age this will only provide me with better vision for only a few years before regressing? Or that there is a higher chance of it not working at all?

I'm thinking custom waveform is the way to go, if it's worth doing.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

TheKeeper posted:

Going for my initial eye exam tomorrow at Lasik Plus. One thing I've seen a lot of while browsing through this thread is LASIK is a wonderful thing to get if you're 35 or younger. I'm 37 and have a relatively light prescription for myopia. Is it being suggested that at my age this will only provide me with better vision for only a few years before regressing? Or that there is a higher chance of it not working at all?

I'm thinking custom waveform is the way to go, if it's worth doing.
It should work fine. Most companies treat people with lasik up to the age of 70. You will need glasses for reading small print in about ten years time but that will happen anyway.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

psydude posted:

I drank two days after PRK and was fine. But I'm an expert drinker so I wouldn't try that at home.

Psydude or other people that did PRK: How long did your recovery take? I'm scheduled for PRK this Friday, and I have a couple weeks with nothing to do, but I'm still a little concerned about basically not being able to do poo poo for 5 days like the surgeon said.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I just made two appointments for LASIK consultations. One guy told me to come on in, the other doesn't want me to wear contacts for two weeks prior to the consult.

What's going on here?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Getting LASIK shortly, any opinions on having the flap cut with a laser vs. scalpel?

I just assumed that lasers = better, but at the consultation I had the doctor said he recommends scalpel since both are the same end result and scalpel is much cheaper. Ordinarily I'd probably run to another doctor but I've already had multiple people in the medical industry recommend him to me, so I'm inclined to trust him.

^^To the above poster, I went in for my first consultation and the receptionist told me to leave my contacts out for two days prior (this was only after me proactively asking if contact-use mattered). When I came in, the doctor did a casual consultation but said I'd have to come back after not wearing contacts for two weeks because they reshape your eyes and may affect the results. That's just my one experience though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

ryan_woody posted:

Psydude or other people that did PRK: How long did your recovery take? I'm scheduled for PRK this Friday, and I have a couple weeks with nothing to do, but I'm still a little concerned about basically not being able to do poo poo for 5 days like the surgeon said.

I needed that week off, and the week after that, still had to turn on the super-large fonts and inverse color on my work desktop to do anything.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

ryan_woody posted:

I was out for a week, once the bandage contact lenses came out I saw almost as well as I did with glasses, I could drive, and felt ok. It did take about 6 months for my vision to stabilize at my best eyesight.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, over one month after lasik and I have 20/15 in my left eye....and 20/50 in my right eye. Doctor I've been seeing is starting to run out of ideas why it's like this. Going back up to the surgery place this week to see what they think. Seems either I need to be more patient or I'll need touch up surgery. Thankfully, it'll be covered for free. Just annoying anyways.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Alright then, I'm definitely going to plan on not doing poo poo for a while then. Thanks to both of you for confirming that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
My advice is to just queue up some podcasts or audio books and enjoy the downtime.

Now here's my question for you fine folks. Well, not so much a question as it is a request to assuage my nervousness. I'm heading back for a touch-up this Thursday and am worried that in correcting my slight prescription in my right eye, I'll also lose the perfect 20/20 distance vision I have in that eye (and 20/20 combined---left eye is 20/25 on its own). Or that I'll wind up having another prescription.

It's not that big a deal making a tiny correction, is it? I was legally blind before the surgery, so the surgeon had some room to leave for adjustments (or so I'm telling myself).

• Locked thread