Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

I think this game has ruined me. I was disappointed that I couldn't arrange a marriage between my son and daughter. Gotta keep them good genes in the family :downs:

Also I may had sacrificed my sister to the gods. And her son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

AngelesXO posted:

I think this game has ruined me. I was disappointed that I couldn't arrange a marriage between my son and daughter. Gotta keep them good genes in the family :downs:

Also I may had sacrificed my sister to the gods. And her son.

Someone needs to play a Zoroastrian ruler.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

jivjov posted:

To those who are into that sort of thing, the Steam version of CK2 now has Trading Cards!

poo poo, I might just opt into this. Apparently people are making surprising amounts of money off those things, and well, I play a lot of CK2 anyway.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do you need anything other than Piety and Holy sites to reform a religion? I honestly can't remember what I had going for me, when I reformed Norse, but it looks like both Romuva and Tengri have a ruler with 3 holy sites sitting around, but neither has reformed. Is this a thing I can look forward to happening?

Has anyone confirmed or denied that mongols can switch religions to reformed pagan? Do they switch at ALL if someone reforms Tengri?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do you need anything other than Piety and Holy sites to reform a religion? I honestly can't remember what I had going for me, when I reformed Norse, but it looks like both Romuva and Tengri have a ruler with 3 holy sites sitting around, but neither has reformed. Is this a thing I can look forward to happening?
The religion also needs to be at 50 moral authority.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Moral authority, which you can check in the ledger. Needs to be at 50 if they only have 3 holy sites.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Giving a Muslim game a proper go after playing this game for like 200 hours. What's the beef with decadence? Free ducal revokes, free imprisonment of male family members and insane bonuses for keeping it low. I'm tearing up Iberia making hand over fist.

Edit: the only problem I've run into is that my heir didn't flip culture to Andalusian so I can't form Hispania. :negative:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

toasterwarrior posted:

poo poo, I might just opt into this. Apparently people are making surprising amounts of money off those things, and well, I play a lot of CK2 anyway.

I just figured out that I could sell the pre-order Team Fortress hats I had for Steam credit. Never played Team Fortess, never will. But free money is always good.

OCD people with disposable cash are my new favorite people.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Alright. The Viking invasions in my most recent CK2+ games have gotten insane. I deleted the saves because they got bugged to hell and back (thanks to my own lovely efforts at modding!), but I can probably root around for them to post some screenshots at some later point.

But back to my point. There are 3 major viking kingdoms outside of the usual Britain-Scandinavia affair:

The Viking Kingdom of Al-Andalus, ruled by King Ruirk the last of his dynasty (the were forced out of Russia early in the game and I guess some landless scion decided to stick it to Iberian muslims; oh and Ruirk is a muslim :v:).

The Viking Kingdom of Azerbaijan, ruled by Queen Ylva the Raider (Azerbaijan's conquest at the hands of the nordic hordes has become a staple in my game, for whatever reason).

And most :psyduck: of all of them: The Viking Kingdom of Abyssinia, ruled by King Ivar af Ivar, the great-great-great grandson of Ivar the Boneless.

Wtf, vikings. Invade Normandy or something, jeeze.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

toasterwarrior posted:

The Trading Card thing just left beta, so the market for the cards is about to crash hard now that everyone can get them.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Two dumb questions:

1) Is there a way to list valid casus bellis I can use? I see the claims part of my character page, but for other causes?

2) How does Pagan border conquest work? It seems there are a lot of counties I can't use it on and I'm not sure what allows me to use it on some and not others.

e:

3) How early should I look to reform my faith? I can do it right now, I'm king of Perm and control most of Novgorod. I'd really like to get rid of Gavelkind succession.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 26, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If you click on the diplomacy screen to declare war it'll list the available CBs; that'll only give you your CBs on that ruler, but still, it's better'n nothing.

VonWigg
Sep 10, 2005

nutranurse posted:

And most :psyduck: of all of them: The Viking Kingdom of Abyssinia, ruled by King Ivar af Ivar, the great-great-great grandson of Ivar the Boneless.

Wtf, vikings. Invade Normandy or something, jeeze.

Paradox obviously didn't quite think through the consequences of giving power-hungry vikings a perfect map and loot-list.

Every one of my new games has seen some norse kingdom setting up shop in africa, though most get conquered right back.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If you click on the diplomacy screen to declare war it'll list the available CBs; that'll only give you your CBs on that ruler, but still, it's better'n nothing.

Also diplomacy map layer will color yellow all counties you have CB on, hovering over them will show list

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

VonWigg posted:

Paradox obviously didn't quite think through the consequences of giving power-hungry vikings a perfect map and loot-list.

Every one of my new games has seen some norse kingdom setting up shop in africa, though most get conquered right back.

CK2: What would happen if Vikings had real time geo-political information access.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Works easily but leads to a rather boring game with a ruler who controls pretty much all of Europe within 100 years.
And no control over who inherits. Sounds fun!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quick question: Will patching the game affect my saved games? Also, how is the latest patch? BTW I only have Legacy of Rome.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Frijolero posted:

Quick question: Will patching the game affect my saved games? Also, how is the latest patch? BTW I only have Legacy of Rome.

major patch versions will affect saves, what version number are you on. the expansions are completely separated form the patches.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

major patch versions will affect saves, what version number are you on. the expansions are completely separated form the patches.

I went to 1.092 so that I could play the GoT mod.

V Thanks Rumda! V

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 26, 2013

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
well then updating to 1.10 will mess up your saves but not complacently techs will be completely hosed but if its a GoT save that's not really an issue, though updating the mod will also screw with your saves

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
CK2+ fans - CaesarVincens of the paradox forums has you covered, releasing compatibility fixes for the latest patch, which includes an attempted fix at the AI-never-forming-kingdoms bug.

Find it in the CK2+ thread in this forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?682-Crusader-Kings-II-User-Modifications

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Winter Stormer posted:

As a general rule, always set your kingdoms to the same inheritance laws. What laws were you using?

Relations between two people of different cultures take a penalty of either -10 (same culture group, like Swedish and Norwegian) or -20 (different culture groups, like Swedish and Kurdish), modified by the Cultural Flexibility technology. Maximum harmony comes from same culture/same religion realms, so yes, it's generally best to try and keep everyone one culture.

You don't really have to marry within the same culture, though: each character's starting culture is determined by the dominant parent (father if regular marriage, mother if matrilineal) and then has a chance of changing to their mentor's culture during education. Because you have a chance of changing culture during education, it can be useful to educate your wrong-culture vassals' heirs so that you have a chance of making more tractable future vassals.

If by 'neighboring lands' you mean 'lands outside your realm', the best peaceful way is to marry their ruler's daughter and ensure the offspring inherits. Obviously, the best way is to beat them up and take their stuff :black101:

Thanks. I just sort of dove into the game after messing around based on the LP that starts in Ireland so I'm still discovering a lot of things that are pretty important. I definitely burned myself in the game I was playing by not understanding how to take care of my dynasty members well enough among other things.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Has anybody else noticed, since the fact, that :siren:Calculating Naval Ranges:siren: now appears at loading?

Naval warfare soon, perhaps?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Noreaus posted:

Has anybody else noticed, since the fact, that :siren:Calculating Naval Ranges:siren: now appears at loading?

It would make more sense now, with vikings and all. ( They did quite a few naval engagements right?)

Plus i want to wreck poo poo as the iron born, or blow up entire fleets with wild fire in GOT.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What are some good Byzantine starting characters in the new Old Gods start date? Is it any fun just starting right out as the Emperor, or are there some Douxes with especially interesting positions?

EDIT: In CK2+, if that matters.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I just got the Old Gods and I started out as Ivar the Boneless. Seems impossible, you start out at war with most of England and pretty soon almost the entire British Isles is fighting you. How are you supposed to survive this?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mustang posted:

I just got the Old Gods and I started out as Ivar the Boneless. Seems impossible, you start out at war with most of England and pretty soon almost the entire British Isles is fighting you. How are you supposed to survive this?

Head south and take out the two counties for the East Anglia war first. That should get most of southern England off your tail.
Then head North and try to fully occupy as much as possible of the northernmost counties. Jorvik is gonna try and occupy as well, so you'll probably end up splitting the counties between you.

If you're playing Ck2+: Good luck, seems impossible to me, because the creator for some reason removed almost the entire heathen army.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I started at Jorvik in Ck2+ and I had a bunch of free armies at the Old Gods start.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah I'm playing CK2+ and together me and Jorvik seem to have about 5-6k men. I've seen the southern kingdoms unite into armies of around 10k.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The CK2+ start of 5-6k troops combined with the mechanic that small states get a huge boost to levy sizes means that Ireland sends non-stop stacks of 1-2k troops at you, since you're pretty much guaranteed that almost all of Britain is going to join in against you.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 26, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Broken Cog posted:

The CK2+ start of 5-6k troops combined with the mechanic that small states get a huge boost to levy sizes means that Ireland sends non-stop stacks of 1-2k troops at you, since you're pretty much guaranteed that almost all of Britan is going to join in against you.

*~Balance~*

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Mustang posted:

Completely ignore the Southern war. Merge 4 armies, go crash Northumberland, kill armies before they can meet up. If you want to maximize land seizure after the win, occupy as much of the de jure English area as possible, you will always get the 3 Scottish counties as owned/vassals regardless.

After you have won the Northern War, call up the newly acquired armies and march South, even if you have a negative war score, one or two battles should get you in the green, then start sieging.

Currently, the starting armies for all the Sons of Lodbrok are not flagged correctly and will not disappear after the end of the Prepared Invasion CB war, which is what you start in the middle of in 867. (Part of why they are nerfed in CK2+, not sure if Wiz was aware of the incorrect flagging)

Use the bugged armies to chain conquest Ireland.

Ivar the Boneless is the easiest, most gimmicky start in The Old Gods. For bonus points, you can stab 2 people and inherit Denmark.

Edit for CK2+ Ivar the Boneless Start:

Seems the morale issue with armies at start of game has been resolved, merge all 4 armies. Call in son-in-law to fight North war only, otherwise he will be dumb and send his troops to South war if you say All Wars. March to Durham, fight battle against 2k morale weak troops, Jorvik will join with 3k of their own. After you win, do not let up on that army, pursue and fight until it is gone. Only 2 other big (2200-2500) armies should form, one in Scotland, one in Ireland. Kill both and your warscore should approach 100% just off of battles. North War was warscore 100% on 26 Sept, 867. Up to you if you want to siege down rest of stuff to own after war.

Game plan is pretty much the same for South War which was at -17% when North War ended. Call in son-in-law and brothers who are now at peace to fight South War, may or may not join, but you will have new troops from conquered land. Crush army 'til no more, then siege.

Still stab 2 people for Denmark, huzzah.

Omar_Comin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 27, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like I finally know enough of what the hell in doing to make the move to CK2+ but are there any issues with the newest patch?

I know a guy released a hot fix but I mean are there any known major bugs outstanding?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Captain Beans posted:

I feel like I finally know enough of what the hell in doing to make the move to CK2+ but are there any issues with the newest patch?

I know a guy released a hot fix but I mean are there any known major bugs outstanding?

I'm not sure, but there might still be a bug for unreformed pagans forming real (non petty) Kingdoms, where you get to automatically switch into Primogeniture. I'm not sure if that was actually intended, but getting rid of gavelkind many many years (especially with CK2+'s cassus bellis) before you normally can changes the game a lot. I'm rolling with it in my current game though and it's still fun. So I think you should upgrade that poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Should I be playing old gods without CK2+? At least in the British Isles anyway? The English are sending army after army after me of equal or greater size and there are too many to intercept before at least a couple begin to outnumber me. Highest warscore I have managed is 5%. Would be easier if I could control the other Norse armies as well but they just do their own thing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Noreaus posted:

It's most likely just the distance calculations between sea provinces for naval transport purposes. Maybe they added the text for debugging purposes?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Grawr after my anger at this game, I'm trying to come back to my Ireland, and it keeps crashing on me. Does it not want me to play or what?

I have no mods or anything, just vanilla CK2. Is there a fix I need to do? It just crashes out and "stops responding".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Is it an old save? I had that problem before, if you make a new game it should run fine. I think a patch fixed something but it caused old games to crash a lot. Might want to clean Install anyway since its only like what, a gig?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah its a save from a few days ago.

Wow when they redo stuff they really REDO it. Oh well I can restart. I want to be Moravia but I can't find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have another question related to Wrong Holding Demesne. I conquered Mallorca and the primary holding is a city. Could I build a castle and make that the primary holding somehow? Or am I forced to give it away to someone?

• Locked thread