Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
How amazing is iOS gaming?

We have KOTOR, Magic 2014, Xcom, and we may be getting Age of Empires and Halo?

No wonder Apple is destroying Nintendo and Sony handhelds. It's really starting to blow my mind what we can play on tablets and phones. A true Golden Age for portable gaming.

Unleash the floodgates devs! Bring us all the great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Got all the way to the last trial of the last case in Phoenix Wright HD trilogy and I just realized you can skip over the slow-as-molasses dialogue by holding down the next dialogue button. :shepicide:

Still nowhere near as fast or reliable as the skip on the DS ones though.
Would that have really been that big a problem to include, capcom?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Samara posted:

No wonder Apple is destroying Nintendo and Sony handhelds. It's really starting to blow my mind what we can play on tablets and phones. A true Golden Age for portable gaming.

Too bad there are no buttons on the device.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Woah well I got all of the forms in Alpaca Evolution and I finally had the courage to delete it from my iphone forever. It was so good that I decided to screenshot the form descriptions/pictures for each alpaca and put it in this album :siren: Spoilers!! (including the special forms that I encourage you to get for yourselves if you haven't already) :siren: http://imgur.com/a/1y53u

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone tell me if Silver Nornir is worth getting? I have been watching it for a while now and it just dropped to $2.99.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Samara posted:

Actually it's like how awesome is Puzzle & Dragons and oh yeah those other games.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually it's like how awesome is Puzzle & Dragons and oh yeah those other games.

Still not available in Canada :smith:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

...Chortled the room of wealthy investors, as they twirled their moustaches and discussed the title's $3.8M in daily IAP revenue.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I thought you guys singing praises of the alpaca game were nuts. Then I got to form 9 and :allears::stare:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hey, super lazy question about Magic 2014 that I could honestly just google but am too lazy to do even that:

Is this one designed around actual deck building or is it one of those deals where you're locked into pre-defined decks?

If the former is there anything stupid/silly like sticking you with a pre-defined mix of lands or something?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
After playing XCOM on the ipad for a few days now I have to say that the ipad is the perfect form factor for it. I'll be trading my PS3 copy in sometime soon because I don't see me playing it on there anymore. I was never huge into multiplayer so I won't be missing much. Although the customization of the units is a super drag.

At first I really didn't like the press to select location because I didn't think it was responding really well however after coming back and playing again I'm really not sure what the problem was that I was having with it. The camera rotation is probably the biggest let down though. I'd really like a free moving camera and I don't see why we can't have one with this. The two zoom levels aren't enough. I feel like there needs to be a zoom level in the middle of the two current options. I've stopped trying to rotate the camera with my fingers and just started using the rotate buttons that are on the left side of the screen. Same goes for the elevation. Half the time I feel like it doesn't detect that I've done the two finger twist so I'm ok with just using the buttons.

Other than that. The maps haven't been TOO repetitive yet and I really don't have any complaints about them. I'm hoping at some point they add some map packs or something to add to it if people are ok with it using up more space. Same with unit customization.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

lags posted:

At this point I don't think we'll ever get it :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cyrano4747 posted:

hey, super lazy question about Magic 2014 that I could honestly just google but am too lazy to do even that:

Is this one designed around actual deck building or is it one of those deals where you're locked into pre-defined decks?

If the former is there anything stupid/silly like sticking you with a pre-defined mix of lands or something?

The bulk of the game is designed around playing with pre-made decks, but each one has a pretty hefty pool of additional cards (limited to that deck) that you can unlock and switch in and out at will. They've added a little more flexibility in this version, too, you can change the amount of land & stuff in your decks now.

There's also a new, separate "sealed" mode where you can win boosters and use them to build a deck from scratch-- but you can only get a certain amount of boosters per sealed deck & you have to start a new one from scratch if you don't like what you've got, you can't just keep continually adding to your available pool. Basically there's a little more flexibility overall than previous versions but they still want you to go out and spend $ on physical cards or on virtual ones in MtG: Online for a "real" deckbuilding experience.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fairly certain it's another Duels of the Planeswalker title, which is really MtG-lite. Actual deck building will remain limited to Magic Online and actual physical cards.

I have no idea how much DotP has improved, but until I can build silly things I have no interest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sealed play alone makes it worth it. It's a huge change from DotP 2013 and earlier.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

RedRupee posted:

Woah well I got all of the forms in Alpaca Evolution and I finally had the courage to delete it from my iphone forever. It was so good that I decided to screenshot the form descriptions/pictures for each alpaca and put it in this album :siren: Spoilers!! (including the special forms that I encourage you to get for yourselves if you haven't already) :siren: http://imgur.com/a/1y53u

Thank you, you're the best. I'm led to believe in other online forums this is where I'd give you a 1 cent bitcoin tip.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
We are Remembering Richard Matheson in our iOS Crossword Game, Crickler today. http://bit.ly/Sof4X7 Free download.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

VideoGameVet posted:

We are Remembering Richard Matheson in our iOS Crossword Game, Crickler today. http://bit.ly/Sof4X7 Free download.

Thank you for honoring his memory.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Got to level 10 with the alpaca.

I think I'm gonna go pray.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Great Battles Medieval is out for iPad on my side of the world. It's 50% off for the first week, just $5 rather than :tenbux: which is a standard Slitherine thing they offer. I loves me some turn based strategy and this looks like it could be good. I really should sleep so I can't post a trip report until tomorrow.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

lags posted:

How does this stuff work with regards to using a VPN or something to get into the US store and get something? Does it just check your ip, or do they say ok your Apple Account says it's from Canada so you're boned?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

nrr posted:

How does this stuff work with regards to using a VPN or something to get into the US store and get something? Does it just check your ip, or do they say ok your Apple Account says it's from Canada so you're boned?

It is account based. You can make a U.S. account and buy the game for your iPad with that account.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

nrr posted:

You don't need to be on a VPN, since you can switch stores on the fly, but you need a credit card issued by a US bank in order to purchase apps, even get free apps.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Lame. I'm guessing they don't take PayPal either.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Ming the Merciless posted:

You don't need to be on a VPN, since you can switch stores on the fly, but you need a credit card issued by a US bank in order to purchase apps, even get free apps.

I don't have a CC attached to my US account and I can download Puzzle & Dragons just fine. If I ever get the urge to buy anything in it, though, I'm screwed.

I don't understand at all why they wouldn't release it here.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Having looked at the spending spreadsheet, I'm kind of glad I couldn't find it in the UK store when I looked.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

SpookyLizard posted:

Fairly certain it's another Duels of the Planeswalker title, which is really MtG-lite. Actual deck building will remain limited to Magic Online and actual physical cards.

I have no idea how much DotP has improved, but until I can build silly things I have no interest.

DotP 2014 actually has added a deckbuilding mode. You open boosters and construct a deck from their contents. Not quite full deckbuilding, but you're not limited to pre-builts anymore.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What is Puzzle and Dragons exactly? I assummed it was some sort of pay2win game with some sort of big paywall/timers kind of thing because of how much goddamn money it makes.

jivjov posted:

DotP 2014 actually has added a deckbuilding mode. You open boosters and construct a deck from their contents. Not quite full deckbuilding, but you're not limited to pre-builts anymore.

Do you mean the Sealed game mode? (Sealed is a Limited format playstyle of mtg where everyone gets three booster packs, opens them, and makes a deck out of it; then they play against each other to win prizes. Similar, but different to Booster Drafts). Because I won't be happy with any DotP variant until I can make my fun whacky standard decks from the ground up (with, ideally, minimally amount of grindy playthrough to unlock cards (Or alteast really FUN grindy playing)), like my mulch-filled, lightning bolt dropping, four color reanimator deck I made shortly after Gatecrash.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 26, 2013

clams
Apr 10, 2007

rawr.
Any recommendations for a turn-based RPG similar to Knights of Pen and Paper? I am (surprisingly) liking the menu-centric gameplay but that's not a completely necessary attribute.

(considering FFT but am a little turned off by both the price and the apparently steep learning curve - haven't played much FF in general)

edit: roguelike recommendations welcome as well. enjoyed Dungeon Plunder for a bit but the randomization of the levels exists in only the most superficial sense. it becomes extremely repetitive and monotonous after only a few playthroughs.

clams fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 26, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

clams posted:

Any recommendations for a turn-based RPG similar to Knights of Pen and Paper? I am (surprisingly) liking the menu-centric gameplay but that's not a completely necessary attribute.

(considering FFT but am a little turned off by both the price and the apparently steep learning curve - haven't played much FF in general)

Gameplay is unique among ff games. Curve ain't so bad so long as you figure out that you can actually place more troops to help in the second battle (first proper battle). That's one of those weird little things that gets most people when starting out (me among them).
You might wanna look up the unlock requirements and advantages of each class though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

clams posted:

FFT is pricey but it will give you 30-40 hours of play time. The learning curve is steep if you're a completionist who wants to totally break the game over your knee. Many of us who played on PS1 through garbled translation and useless tutorials finished it just fine while hardly knowing what we were doing. There are entire subsets of the game's mechanics (i.e. zodiac signs) that are 100% ignorable and you will still totally beat the game and experience 95% of the content.

All that said, you go to the Let's Play, you easily learn the large amount it takes to put you over the top into the remaining 5%, you consult the wiki for unlock requirements, you get to see stupidly high numbers flash and pop pop pop see another squire drop.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The learning curve is steep if and if only if you really want to learn the mechanics and how to appropriately break the game, because in typical jrpg fashion, stats and how they work are generally hidden deep within menus or behind help screens, and formulas and the like are not always clearly spelled out or generally told at all. Not as bad as EV/IV training in pokemon, but it's still fairly awful in that respect. Playing the game to play it/beat it doesn't require much of that knowledge and it's fairly easy with some grinding and awareness of when the game wants to gently caress you.

Before Dorter, Before Lionel, before Golgoland, before riovannes, and maybe a few other places are all the locations across the entire game you should save and maybe grind before playing. Lionel and Riovannes castles are both multistage fights you can't leave after entering, so you can get screwed if you don't keep multiple saves. Dorter and Golgorand Execution site and both incredibly difficult fights; between the fights themselves being a surprise level of difficulty in terms of levels and also enemy formations and abilities; Dorter has you go from fighting a couple of mooks with sticks to an actual decent force involving mages, archers with elevation, and a hardcore Knight. Golgorand has story poo poo but it's also one of the most difficult fights in the game due to the enemy layout.

I don't wanna spoil anything, but the game is pretty easy and fairly straightforward diffuclty curve except for where it just goes loving crazy out of nowhere. Almost every act has a fight or two that just fucks you if you're not prepared.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Nihilumbra went free. Get it

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
My studio's newest game, Siegecraft TD (iTunes link) just came out. Three bucks, no IAP.

If you liked the original Siegecraft, well, this is nothing like that. It's a Tower Defence game, with fancy graphics and a pretty cool free-for-all multiplayer mode that's like a 4-player Risk mashup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8AC-wq5FEU

Also there are Armour Llamas which I know aren't alpacas but it's the best we can do.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Samara posted:

Yeah Nintendo's losing a lot of sleep, what having sold a measly 30 million 3DS handhelds in two years. Sony's sold less than 2.5 million Vitas, on the other hand. :v:

clams posted:

edit: roguelike recommendations welcome as well. enjoyed Dungeon Plunder for a bit but the randomization of the levels exists in only the most superficial sense. it becomes extremely repetitive and monotonous after only a few playthroughs.

FFT tips, made simple:

Female generic characters:
Having 65-70 faith to start is nice. You'll want to make 1-2 female characters in to magic users since they have better magic growth.

Male generics:
Aim for 70ish brave. Monks are an easy job to get early on and high brave = more fist damage. Punch Arts are also amazing. Having high brave and low faith means they'll be in less damage from magic (both helpful and harmful).

You can go far with a straightforward setup like:
Time Mage - White or Black magic secondary
Summoner - whichever magic you didn't take as secondary on the first character
If you can get the MP Switch counter and the Move MP Up (Mana Regen or something) move skill put these on your casters and they'll take MP damage instead of HP damage. If you have 1 MP and take 999 damage you lose 1 MP and 0 hp if MP Switch went off. Once you get ahold of a Chantage give it to a caster, it gives them Phoenix-like immortality (not a joke, the item gives permanent Reraise) and you can swap to a new move/counter set.

Monk x2 or Monk and Lancer
Monks - if you can get them the Ninja's Two Hands passive do so, you effectively double your damage in doing so. Blade Grasp from Samurai gives you physical damage evasion bonus = to your Brave. Your base Brave can be capped out at 97 using a Mediator skill or an ability Ramza gets. :getin:

Ramza:
His Squire skill set gets more abilities as you go through the game. This includes the aforementioned +Brave skill (that never misses), a skill that gives +1 speed (stackable) to a target for the fight, and eventually a skill that just buffs pretty much everything. I like making him a Lancer but Ramza can work in pretty much any class. In the iOS version I decided to grind to get Dark Knight (don't do this, it takes forever, is boring as poo poo, and you'll probably be level 30+ when you're done) because it's pretty drat powerful.

You can easily end up putting 40+ hours in to FFT if you play through it and are looking around, finding extra characters and secrets. I don't know if the post-game super battles from the PSP version are in this though. I hope they are, even if they're single player.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
More FFT stuff...

In regards to Brave, you definitely want to max it (97) on all your melee fighters and possible for others as well. The main reason is for the Samurai skill Shirahadori (or Blade Grasp in the PS1 version). Shirahadori gives a percentage chance to evade all physical attacks, the chance being equal to your Brave stat which when maxed is 97. The easiest way to do this is with Ramza's Steel ability (Yell in PS1 terms) which becomes available in Chapter 2. Steel increases a characters Brave by 5 points, one of which is permanent. So if you have a character with a Brave score of 70 and you cast Steel on it 6 times in a battle to raise it to 100 it's permanent Brave after the battle will be 76.

As for your starting party I recommend 2 make generics and 2 female generics. Make all of them squires and make sure at least 2 have the Item command with potion and Phoenix down. Stay this way until all have learned Focus, Move +1, and JP Up. The reason or this is that Squire is not a class you want to stay in long due to poor stat growth, and if you have 5 characters getting Squire JP it will go faster because you get 5 times more spillover JP (when any character performs an action, all characters in the battle get a small portion of the JP earned by the specific action. This is called spillover JP. For example if a Squire attacks an enemy and gets 30 JP for the action then all characters will get like 3 or 5 Squire JP regardless of their current Job).

Focus is important because it lets low level character do something to earn JP when there is nothing else they can do at that moment. JP Up makes grinding all that JP a little easier, and Move +1 is a great general movement skill.

Once you have these 3 on Ramza and all your generics then you can pretty much branch into any of the classes you want, but I generally go with a male and female melee and male and female magic user. Mainly just so I have the option of getting a Bard and Dancer if I want.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VideoGameVet posted:

You also remembered to promote your game with it.

Classy!

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

The Radix posted:

My studio's newest game, Siegecraft TD (iTunes link) just came out. Three bucks, no IAP.

Any idea when it's available in US?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

JDM3 posted:

Any idea when it's available in US?

poo poo, sorry, I thought it was already. But I'm told it will be in five minutes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

I just threw up.

• Locked thread