Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Of course he's been compromised. Just a matter of time, wasn't it? You can't trust most nobles far as you can throw them, and he isn't an exception, is he? We can't be sure of what he is up to, bit we can make plans for when he finally does turn on us, can't we? Hence mercenaries. I'm sure they'd fight much harder for a title and land, then for money that a broke city may or may not have. At any rate, best bet is to see how it shakes out, and prepare all the while." Pausing, she considers the legal ramifications. "If someone isn't themselves anymore, I wouldn't think a contract'd be valid. But I'd have to ask my mother about that. Among other things."

Dolan's news is greeted with a disgruntled chuckle. "Zeroed? Forbidden magics? Just what the gently caress were you dwarves up to? Can't imagine the empire loved having zeroing dwarves ambling about. Hah. Anyways, didn't that mask make the wizard a but job? Might it do the same to Roland?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

By the time the others are done speaking, Martin looks just a shade more pale, presumably from Dolan's account more than anything. That was a piece of the puzzle that had not quite been set into place, and now that it was there, the picture was greatly changed. Yet the first thing out of the Baron's mouth was his usual snark, accompanied by a glance at Isit. "Well, I certainly hope either I am light enough to be thrown very far, angel, or that I count as an exception where the Lord Mayor does not."

But that bit of sarcastic mirth quickly fades away. He rubs his temple, as he often does. "One way or another, the indications are not bloody good, eh?" Shaking his head, Martin tries to sort things out; while the logistics of whatever magics might be involved were beyond him, the basic principles were not. "I remember being told the contract was with the office and not the man," he says with a look at Larisa. "Either way it is irrelevant to what we need to do here. Whether it's of a kind with that mask, or some coerced change of heart, or an impostor, it is a major worry."

"We need to call in what resources we have. Mercenaries: good, and we offer as much as we dare. The fae, as much as they can help in light of the agreement." Looking to Lette and then Lo'el, he nods solemnly. "Our knowledge of the Eagles stays with us for now; Naantali might be safe to tell, but to do so safely would require a reason for her to not inform Roland as well."

He pauses on that point for a moment, and he glances to Asha - loyal and duty-oriented as she was, the whole subject might be a shock to her. "If we are on the right track - the Eagles, that mask, or some other power has subverted him - we have to consider that perhaps he plans to use the proposal to Naantali as a trap. Which leaves us the unenviable position of trying to figure how one of the most brilliant and influential individuals in the remaining Empire can be stopped if he were to hatch such plans as we can imagine."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Back after the attack, remember when I was asking if a spirit could be part of an arrow's payload? It would also explain why nobody could find him, if his soul is suppressed by another. Or, gods forbid... consumed." She shudders visibly.

"There's bound to be a way to reach out to Vuoksi. A sacrificial ritual or something..."

Lette frowns at Martin. "Well, the idea that he's compromised could be Naantali's reason not to tell him. But convincing her — or, maybe worse, becoming convinced that she's convinced — will be a whole other challenge."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Well, it's drat tricky, isn't it?" Martin can't help a nervous smile, even if his tone is still grave. "Naantali trusts us and seems to have a sense for the truth, but for something like this, she may need proof. If we tell her and she does not believe, she might think this some attempt at a betrayal of the Lord Mayor. And since we already are not sure what exactly is wrong with Lord Roland, only that something is wrong..."

He stops himself there, stroking his chin and looking down. Finally: "...there may be a way to reach Vuoksi, as you say, but without the temple and priests, difficult. Same with Meleuz." Slowly, he then turns to look at Skoll, and manages a thin little smirk. "But we do know of another who has helped us before, and who we know is quite attached to his Lordship if we have been told correctly. Or was, as the case may be. So whatever may be wrong with him, I imagine Caria's clergy will help us, and perhaps the Huntress herself. And if even She cannot find Roland still, then that certainly tells us something serious has happened - likely the worst has happened, in fact."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"It is a severe punishment. A rap on the head in the right place with the right tool, and you turn into a feebleminded idiot, unable to do anything but sit and stare at the wall until you finally waste away and die. Or they reverse it. Or try to reverse it, anyway." He shrugs. "Like I say, it is something I should not exactly know. I had some... interesting research opportunities. I will have to see if there is a way to detect the intrusion. It may not be posible."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Alright. Sounds like an itinerary is forming: eat like crazy, then we start on research, reaching out to sellswords, visiting temples, petitioning goddesses. Whoever sleeps in Caria's temple can try to reach her. I can't exactly restore Vuoksi's temple by myself, but there are probably a few things worth trying out before I bed down in the rubble. Not very secure, though, so if anyone would care to accompany me, I'd appreciate it. And how about you, Skoll?

"...In fact, we should make a point not to wander town alone under any circumstances; this seems a poor time to stake everything on the possibility of not being ambushed." Had she less of a connection to Acanthi, Lette would find it rather shocking that she could feel less secure in Noah than the swamp.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 20, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Martin's suspicions and Dolan's account of things perk up the faun's ears at full attention with a look of both concern and surprise on his face. That something is amiss with Roland has been apparent since he first laid his eyes on him after the attack, but this is still a slight shock to hear, although slightly less so then what Dolan had to say. "A good thing your unparalleled skill was able to keep this danger from taking you, Dolan. It is a blessing to know you are still with us.

"I had strongly suspected something to be wrong with the Lord Mayor," he adds at a moment where he can get a word in. "Although I said as much at the time, it may not be exactly what I suspected even if it is possibly just as bad. With some haste and a little luck, we can hopefully confirm these suspicions or put them to rest." So much for the rest and relaxation before the trip south to find these mercenaries. At least this large meal that has been mentioned is still on the proverbial table.

"If we mean to split ourselves to quickly conduct this task, then I will gladly help keep watch over you at Vuoksi's temple, Lette. With my current and unmentionable...condition, it may not be wise for me to personally reach out to the Gods we seek, but I can at least keep an eye out for danger." After all, it was said that some of the Eagles' agents disappeared into the city after the attack, so it gives all the more reason to stay alert during their time here, especially if the Eagles' role here is larger then they previously thought.

"There is also...something I wish to do, now that we have some privacy away from prying eyes." The faun reaches for a scrap of paper and his writing equipment before squatting down to draw. "With all that is happening and the dangers we face, it seems wise that you should all know this if something might happen to me. It seems silly that only I have really known about this for this long."
Once done, after sometime spent recalling exactly how he remembers seeing it during the dream, he stands and does a quick check for any unwelcome persons around before showing the others what he has drawn; the map of Eagle hideouts given to him by Spider.
"She gave this knowledge to us, so whether it can be truly trusted at all will always be in doubt, but you should all see and memorize as much of it as you can. Perhaps it is best to burn this map once you have all seen enough to know you can remember it?"

Eidetic Memory used to draw said map.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Well, hold on a moment. Didn't we try to contact Vuoksi by sleeping there before?" Martin scratches his head. "And staying there overnight might be a bit conspicuous. If there's no other way you might try it, but...it would stand out, and one thing we cannot afford is making it obvious we know something. That's the key - we hold a lot of cards, but Lord Roland cannot know that. And we know his reach is long, as is that of the Eagles. A short visit there may be worthwhile, but it would require some degree of care."

As Lo'el draws, the Baron nods at him. "Burn it, perhaps. Careful with it in any case. But you're right - we risked a lot not all being able to see it before. Now's as good a time as any, though."

He takes a couple steps back and forth. "Once we are done looking at this," Martin suggests, "we get a little shopping done, perhaps. We have said we plan to range south and east, so we will, and we ought to be prepared. In that direction we may run across the trail of Spider's followers or news of my home, as well as finding mercenaries. One way or another it will be fruitful. After a little shopping, we make a short stop at Caria's temple. That by itself will not raise any eyebrows, I should think - some or all of us have been there almost every time we have stopped in Noah since the first time we were there. Lette, Lo'el, if you're going to investigate what's left of Vuoksi's then you might do it then. We ask Xavega a question or two, and see what we might need to do to contact the Huntress." Likely, he would simply have to pray - but that was something he could not say even here, and he would have to play it off as coincidence when it happened.

"If that works, then we just proceed directly to what we said to Roland we'd do - a large dinner and more comfortable accommodations, that we might be well-rested and satisfied before what may be another several days in the field. On the city's tab, in a way - we've still a lot of coin left from when we were reimbursed for the Freehold's gifts." Martin grins at that, appreciating the irony.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf narrows her eyes. "Sure, temples. I just want to say, for the record, that I think visiting them might be a waste of time. If it's profitable for a god, they'll contact us. If it isn't, then we'll get no reply anyways. Besides, the most useful priests are dead. All that are left are trainees." Shrugging, she adds "That being said, if you do get information, keep in mind that no one shares unless it's in thier best interests." Craning her neck, she looks at the list of eagle hide outs. "So... shall we take them out before we get mercenaries, or after? I don't want those fuckers to move about."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Thanks, Lo'el. And for the record: our condition." She smiles at the faun. "I think we're all prepared to do whatever is necessary to free you. Just a question of when." Also how. But that is being worked on.

Lette takes in the map with care, at one point opening her journal up to scribble a few music notes as per her mnemonic device. And when everyone is satisfied they've gotten what they can from it, the suggestion it be burned need only be voiced once. She hums three notes, causing the paper to shudder almost imperceptibly before igniting in spectacular fashion.

Martin's recollection gets a nod. "Dolan and I tried meditating briefly. But that's not all I aim to do this time. I still don't know for sure what triggers divine contact through dreams in some places but not others. Having a roof alone doesn't seem to be enough to keep them out; maybe commonly understood boundaries are what they see best, since they're almost a sort of faith. The edge of the army's camp isn't a fixed thing, but maybe it has an existence by a sort of summing of everyone's concept of it. So I was thinking, if nobody has a concept that it's still a temple, exactly, then maybe it's not. But, even if it's not rebuilt, if it's at least given some outward indication that it's in use, maybe people will go back to viewing it as such. So I was thinking of more, um, decorating than rebuilding? I'd like to catch a crow or a raven or... some sort of corvid, too. Something alive and totemic, to help cement it.

"...And, if all else fails, something that could also serve as an offering."

She listens to the alternate plan. "How far did we want to wander, exactly? It sounds like you think finding soldiers would take barely half a day. And how would we know any mercenaries we happen upon don't already have some connection to one of our enemies? Or Roland, for that matter?"

She shrugs at Isit. "Right now, I'm less worried about a goddess getting her way than us not getting ours. As for the Eagles, any time is a good time, but I have no idea how we'd coordinate it. If word gets around that one hideout has fallen, the others will no doubt uproot right quick. Maybe we should make a point of aiming for the most significant one?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 21, 2013

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I'm unsure how long it will take to find mercenaries. Or if we will. I'll look for rumors in the marketplace, that should give me an idea. As for summoning a god....my point is they have better things to do than listen to us. I honestly doubt they care too much about the lot of one noble's soul. I think mercenaries would be a safer bet. They're much easier to summon. Just whisper about war and gold, and they appear. Your idea about focusing on one hide out is sound though. We'll need more for that. Either guards, or our own people." Isit pauses to think. "How about you magic-y types pursue your summoning plan, and I look for rumors. We can reassess at dinner. Both of us should have a better idea of what's feasible by then."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"You aren't wrong about best interests, dear, but sometimes interests do align. We should know, after all." He manages a bit of a smirk - or allows himself one. "And strange as it is, after these last two weeks I can't help but think the Gods find the fate of these lands to be important, somehow; considering all we've had to deal with them. And the fate of these lands includes the man in the Mayor's office." Martin shrugs, as if to say he has no idea why. "In any case, before we go actually hiring swords, we need to know the Lord Mayor's condition, since on whose behalf we'd be hiring them is somewhat up in the air. And to determine that, we have a dearth of options. So the few we have must be exercised, I suppose. No matter how...esoteric."

He considers Lette's temple-related ideas for a moment. "Perceptions, perhaps. Though if that's the key it may take time. Myself, I think it's just concentrations of mortals that do it, with temples, sanctified, being exceptions - but that's speculation at best; perhaps no one knows. Your plan still may be worth a try, though."

"Far as the Eagles go, we need answers on other matters first, but I imagine we'll either need to identify the most important strongholds and hit them hard, or otherwise make use of small groups to bring them to heel." He watches the map as it burns. "Raise too many levies, mercenaries or otherwise, and I'm sure the Eagles would notice quickly. They're subtle and perceptive; we win only in outwitting them, not with overwhelming force."

"So that leaves the question of who goes where today. That we will meet up again at dinner-time seems agreed." Martin pauses to consider. "If we plan to split more or less evenly, it may be best if Dame Asha and I are the ones to go to the Temple of Caria. As you're all aware, the Huntress has seen fit to contact me before, so perhaps I may be able to get some sort of result." And how he wanted to see Her temple again! Looking to Asha next, he continues: "And of course you have worked for her clergy before, and thus should be quite welcome there."

After a second or two of silence, Martin looks to Isit with a grin and adds, "Unless you'd be overcome by worry and jealousy were I to be away for more than a few minutes, that is. In which case I'd be happy to go with you instead."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Lette's words to him earn a grateful smile and nod before he watches the map burn to a crisp. At least now, should the unthinkable happen to him, his friends will not be without information that only he holds. Gods willing, it will never come to that and somehow he will make it through all this chaos. Still, best to be safe than sorry.
"Whether these attempts we make at the temples work or not, it certainly is worth trying, given the circumstances. Without word or any sort of insight from the Gods, we may never truly know what Lord Roland's conditions is unless he does attempt something sinister. It really is miserable to think of the man having become as we might suspect. But our duty is to protect Noah's people, from threats both inside and out. Hopefully our attempts today will give us an answer, one way or the other."

He hums to himself as talk of the Eagles continues. "If the Queen were not marching on Noah, I would suggest a joined attack between the three factions on as many of their lairs at once. Alas, we may truly have to see to the threat of the Queen before the attention of our allies is turned completely to the Eagles once more. Given the fight they gave us last time-" And as he speaks, a hand trails over the scars along his torso. "-we should not rush into them with only brute force on our side. They have dangerous weapons, the likes of which have supposedly never been seen before. If we are to take our time and plan anything as best we can, it is the eradication of those murderous, hate-filled racists."

He pauses for a moment as plans for the day are made. "If we are to be about this before dinner, then let us hurry on. My stomach may not allow me to delay this meal much longer." He gives an impish grin. "I enjoy a talk as much as the next faun, but it appears it is time for action. I shall accompany Lette to Vuoksi's temple, or the little that remains of it. Although, I am unsure how we mean to acquire a crow as an offering. Perhaps we can try a simple pray first. Given her attention to us in the past, I am sure she will respond if she can or means to."

Martin's last comment to his wife earns the noble a light swat from the faun's soft tail. "Absence merely makes the heart grow fonder, as they say."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Eating is a good idea, yes. Dried meat and fruit gets old fast. As for meeting with the raven, I believe you might have the best luck," he says to Isit. "She did come to you directly, before, did she not? She may have some fondness or affinity for you. When I tried to speak with her before, it was a mere prayer and a short nap, not proper sleep. This may make the difference. That, and the fact that I doubt she holds my kind in good regard. We don't exactly make our offerings to her. The rest of us will likely be able to lodge at the wolf's temple; I doubt the inns that were burned have been rebuilt yet, and beds are still at a premium.

"That said, we should try to send as few people as possible to the raven's temple, and certainly under some feigned motive. Perhaps you learned of the death of a family member; I'm sure you know how to fake tears. In the morning we can meet up again and see if anyone has learned anything, either about the mayor's soul or mercenaries."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"All this talk of sleeping one place or another yet we've barely started on our work for the day. That worry may become unnecessary, for all we know, and we will be able to lodge where we please. And I am sure we can arrange for better accommodations if we choose, if we've uncovered what needs done by then."

His glance - more a glare - at Dolan is presumably not a surprise, for both emotional and professional reasons. It was the first night in civilization with Isit since their honeymoon, and the dwarf was suggesting they stay apart, for a cause Isit clearly seemed disinterested in, given her skepticism of the Gods. Aside from that, Isit was their best asset for finding sellswords, and anything they'd find out about those, they'd know before next morning.

And just as he was worried about Lette and Lo'el tipping their collective hand by staying on the ruins overnight, he was for Isit as well; even as much as he trusted her also. "Let us deal with the pre-dinner matters first, enjoy some of the evening after, and then decide if more drastic measures need to be taken," he says. "Lette and Lo'el, you seem to have a plan regarding Vuoksi's former temple; Dame Asha and I are quite suited to dealing with Caria's clergy; and Lady Isit needs a good second for dealing with any mercenaries so perhaps that may be a good place for you, Dolan. And I assume Larisa can help as well." To Lo'el and Lette he adds, "If you plan anything too drastic, perhaps Skoll can go with you also."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I need to see if I can find some new strings, too," she says, rejoining the conversation after examining her instrument for some time.

"Dolan, you're acting as though we don't know anyone who's passed into her care," she says, suddenly aware of her pendant's weight. "And Martin, I guess I can... try to disguise myself? If you think it's necessary." She draws her hood fully. "Maybe a mask? Those sorts of trappings do also kind of add an air of mysticism..." She glances at Lo'el, unsure where to begin.

"So, do we all have a sense of what we're doing, then? What time should we rendezvous?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She frowns at Dolan, unhappy to be reminded of that particular dream. "I suppose she did contact me, and I might have a few ideas...if you guys can't get it to work, I can give it a try. I'll need a small animal to kill though." Shrugging it off, Isit grins. "At any rate, I'm sure you lot can do better than a soldier who only knows half-magics."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"I think it is necessary, Lette. We've been...perhaps less subtle than we should have been, up until now. Now, subtlety is going to be required if we want to fix things and come out the other side in one piece." He pauses, then adds, "Though I may be more wary of masks than I might have been not long ago," his mind drifting back to the night where he stood barely inches from the one individual in the world he perhaps hated most.

Martin recomposes himself quickly - indeed, it is barely obvious he was at all uncomposed - and offers a smile to match Isit's grin. "Don't sell yourself short, dear. Not like you haven't proven yourself on all fronts." Another pause. "Though I do hope it'll be unnecessary. Actually I'm quite hopeful that Caria's temple will bear some vital information for us. Perhaps not the whole picture, but enough to make an informed decision."

"I suppose we can rendezvous for dinner at sundown? Either meet on Temple Row or at the marketplace and find somewhere to our liking. We will not be able to discuss much over dinner, but if we can at least determine whether or not we have found enough, we can decide then if the more drastic measures we've discussed are in play, and simply set ourselves to them."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"If you truly mean to disguise yourself to do this, Lette. Then perhaps I am not the right person to accompany you, given how easily I will be noticed by any who might look our way, even if I also wear a disguise." A hood will not hide the shape of his horns under the cloth, and even the longest cloak may hide his furry legs and tail but it will not stop someone from hearing his hooves hitting the floor as he walks. "Hard to hide the only known faun in the land, no?

"I must say I do not see the danger from showing our true faces there as you all seem to. Surely everyone knows by now that we visit the temples of the Gods whenever we are in Noah, given our visits to Dinym's, Nadym's, Caria's and even Tulun's. Surely we can just state we are paying our respects to the Goddess because of the destruction bought to her place of worship, if people are to ask. Or fake the death of a loved one, as was suggested. I see no reason to hide who we are when we are there, only why we are there. Arriving as hooded figures will probably attract even more unwanted attention our way.

"Still, if you mean to carry on with a disguise, I will wager I can climb a building easily enough," he says in a matter-of-fact manner. "So maybe I can watch from a nearby rooftop or simply keep myself hidden out of sight but within sight of you and come running if anything seems wrong."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette is once again puzzled the point about needing to 'pretend' someone's died. Perhaps everyone else just got over these things quicker.

She sighs, nodding at the other point. "You're probably right, Lo'el; disguises were a silly idea. I mean, it's not like I just wanted to go shopping for a new outfit or anything. That would be totally irresponsible..."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 24, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Beg your pardon, Lo'el, but what conversation have you been listening to this whole time?" The smile he'd been wearing disappears, though it seems he's less angry and more surprised by Lo'el's apparent unawareness regarding the matter at hand. "We know now more than ever our steps in Noah are watched, and not just by the Eagles. You plan to investigate a place the Eagles deliberately targeted, targeted so that whatever was done to the Lord Mayor would be obscured. If any of us are seen poking around there too often, it signals that we are on the trail - doubly dangerous, since if what we've suggested today about Lord Roland's condition is true, we may have him to worry about as well as the Eagles, and in the end we may need to do something about both of them. And your suggestion to this is to hope that anyone who sees you will bother to approach and ask why you are there, instead of simply setting a trap?"

Chuckling softly but without a smile, Martin continues. "And for that matter, how do you think your plan to lie about why you're there is going to go, even if you are confronted? You've many talents, my friend, but falsehoods of that nature are not one of them, and no one knows that as well as you yourself. It is significantly safer in my view for the two of you to be disguised, unseen, or unnoticed, than it is for you to plan to bluff your way to success. I do appreciate your point, but I think you are mistaken."

At last he looks to Lette again, nodding. "New clothes would help in terms of being inconspicuous, yes. It is somewhere to start, at any rate. Perhaps doing something else with your hair for the time being as well. Things of that sort would go a long way."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 24, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun manages a small smile despite the condescending tone sent his way and raises his hands. "Alright. Alright. Point made, sir. Simply voicing my thoughts aloud and whatnot. My apologies." Stand around talking too much and it's only a matter of time until you reveal how foolish your thoughts can appear to others. A disguise may do no harm, but wasting time by talking over the importance of one -when they have urgent business to see to- might. Better to just have kept the thought to myself; A note made for future reference.
"Then I shall keep watch over Lette but remain out of sight when we arrive, to avoid anyone noticing my not-so-easily-disguised appearance. If this is all we can plan and discuss for now, shall we be about our important tasks?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Roland's informants are no slouches. We'd seem less suspicious in plain sight than we would by looking like we're trying not to be seen, yeah? Stick by me, Lo'el; we need new clothes anyway. It'll be fun. And none of this hiding stuff." She rises and takes a step towards the market district.

She pauses suddenly, turning to Martin. "...Wait, what's wrong with my hair?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 25, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

His expression softens again. "It's quite alright, Lo'el, you need not apologize. Things...are moving very quickly now, that's all, quicker than I would have ever thought. I want everyone to be safe to see it through."

As Lette starts and stops, Martin makes a dismissive gesture. "Did I say something was wrong, madame? No. But..." Raising a finger, he points at the air, jabbing and slashing at nothing as he explains. "...small details can go a long way to changing how you appear to others. New clothes and wearing your hair differently would make you remarkably hard to recognize at a distance, which I would quite advise until your business is done. Such things accompanied by small changes in posture and the like, and you may seem a different person altogether."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Mm. The irony isn't lost on me.

"C'mon, Lo. Let's go get a new look, for no other reason than 'we want to.'"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"Well, if that's how you want to think of it, then that is well enough," he says with a shrug, before Martin then offers a polite wave and a smile to the departing Lo'el and Lette. "Anyway, good luck, both of you. If you need one of us, no one will be all that far. Otherwise we'll see you near dinnertime, eh?"

To Dolan, he offers a slightly awkward nod, before he shoots over to Isit for a quick hug. "Good luck to the both of you too, and I'll see you both at dinner. I assume Larisa will be with you as well, yes?" His eyes try to search out the smallest of the present fae. "Luck to you also. Do take care, all of you; though you're on about the purpose the Mayor believes us to be, so that should serve well."

Calling up Skoll with a gesture, and scratching the giant pup behind the ears, he looks at last to the knight, stalwart, but also having been quite silent through this whole business. "Well. Shall we, Dame Asha? I believe we've work to do, the both of us."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan nods to Martin in silent assent to his plan, then moves away from the group as he lets the zone of silence fall. Likely Martin and Isit would want a moment together before they separated. Marriage.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

It was disconcerting, certainly, given the high hopes she had held for the Lord Mayor and his endeavors; the tightness of her jaw and the stiffness of her posture above and beyond the knight's usually silent and stony mien is perhaps testament to this. A small nod is given to talk of visiting the Temple of Caria--there, at least, she might find a brief reprieve of more favorable hospitality once more and the priestess had proven of her own heart. "They were good to me," she affirms to Martin with a tight smile, "let us hope that they demonstrate so again."

Rousing with a slow roll of her shoulders, Asha moves partway aside--ferreting free one of the last of a dwindling supply of apples in her satchel, noting the dire reserves with a fleeting frown, before offering it to Lo'el without a word. It was an unspoken arrangement among such comrades, one might suppose; for a knight whose contemplative forays had ranged ever farther afield lately, if nothing else it was a comfortably familiar anchor by which to rein herself in.

Asha blinks, belatedly realizing the great depths to which she'd drifted--glancing back again towards Martin and the others before coloring and clearing her throat. "Yes, Baron." She manages a winsome enough smile at that and straightens. Bereft of preamble as well, the nobleman is offered a shiny apple of his own.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit plants a kiss on her husband as a goodbye, before wandering over to the dwarf. "Come along Dolan, you can assist me by looking grumpy."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Lette and Lo'el are the first to split off, heading for something that will at least keep their privacy from the less perceptive prying eyes. Most of the regular clothes stores are either sold out or have such inflated prices that there's little there for the two of them; fortunately, a chance sight brings them to... a rather dingy store that appears to sell stage clothing and props for the local theater. Given that said theater isn't doing much business, the store has marked down most of their stores chasing customers desperate enough to wear less prestigious wear than rags. Pride was a powerful thing. The need to not be obviously seen perhaps greater, buttressed by Lette's practicality. After all, there wasn't anything wrong with any of the clothes there, even if most of them were aggressively colored to be better seen from the back of a hall. There was even a pretty robin-egg blue skirt that would completely hide Lo'el's fuzzy legs, and it's pretty sure that the wave of dizziness that overtakes the faun isn't actually revulsion at the clothes on offer. Once attired as they like, the next stop is temple row, and soon a potential problem comes clear. The other damaged temples are being actively rebuilt, some with more and some with less progress but all with at least a wooden awning over areas of worship to keep heads dry. Vuoksi's temple stands as blackened and bare as it had been when they left, and there seems to be nobody at all in the remains. Not even to guard them.

Soon, Dolan and Isit split off towards the marketplace, following a fae and her faun for the first phase of their foray; their purpose, though, is different. Larisa stays mostly out of slight as they move around, still not being entirely recovered from the nasty shock of being near so many titanic frogs. Not much harm in it- the marketplace hasn't yet recovered from the shock of the attack, and as many empty stalls as there are it's no longer certain whether or not it ever will. As a minor miracle, Isit does find a familiar face in the crowd, and soon pays (in truth, more than she should) for a good week's worth of khat; nerves suitably soothed even if Dolan's patience isn't, the hunt for scuttlebutt on mercenaries quickly focuses on those still selling weaponry. A lot of the established mercenary groups had stayed away from the Noah area, not wanting any part of the confused, chaotic combat in a region poor in plunder- they rarely lacked from better chances other places nowadays, consigning Noah and a big chunk of the old Empire's northwest to the desperate and the callow. After an afternoon of pressing, there only seem to be two or three bands bigger than a hundred people moving up along the road sniffing for contract opportunities, and only one whose leader she's ever heard of- The Smirker, one merchant named him. A old, hard man, he'd gotten a knife scar when he was barely old enough to fight that took off a good chunk of one side of his upper lip, making him always seem to be smirking. He had two hundred or so, near enough, and though not having a contract didn't seem to be in any rush.

Martin and Asha, Skoll staying at their ankles and hooves, head away from the rally point last, also bound for temple row. They too see Vuoksi's temple still a ruin, but they enter a more welcoming place before the others come. A comforting warmth suffuses Martin's head as he enters, visibly straightening just a tad beside Asha- and in truth, the centaur can feel herself welcome as well, if possibly not so emotionally. It's a new novice that greets them, though he smiles and calls them by name with every appearance of friendly recognition; ushering them in and through the common areas, they're brought to a priest's office in record time. The priest on duty finishes her work, signing her name to a piece of paper before shuffling it aside, and the novice enters with cups of wine for all before she asks, "Well, and what do we owe the pleasure of your visits to, Baron and Dame?" She smiles. "It's been a while since you stayed with us- will we have the pleasure of hosting you tonight, or will the goddess's business call you away again?"

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 25, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

From one comfort to another, from one oath to another. Martin was already in a fairly good mood as he and Asha approached the temple; ever the romantic, the memory of a recent kiss enough to buoy him even with Isit's absence on other business. From that to the Huntress' temple drat near has him walking on air, even if the business that they are all on is rather grave indeed. The gift of an apple, too, pushed him further into a simply divine state of mind; though it also led him to wonder exactly how the knight always seemed to have so many of the things.

He goes about the proper greetings and pleasantries as he and Dame Asha were led in, along with a whispered prayer. Once seated in the office - with wine, no less - he speaks more at length. "Good day to you. I must thank you all again for your previous hospitality," Martin says, before taking a sip of wine. "And this hospitality also. We may well have need to rest here again this evening, though it is unclear as yet if we will. Times are tough, and my friends nor I wish to impose without necessity." A pause; he'd much rather spread some gold around to those doing less well in Noah, and, well - it being their first night back in civilization, certain things would be quite awkward if they took place at this temple. "I apologize, but while you seem to know me, I am not sure we've met formally. I expected Mother Xavega, but she seems absent. It's no great matter, but I suppose I am curious."

"In any case. We've been away on the Lord Mayor's business," he clarifies, before offering a thin, knowing smile. "Though I'm given to understand that means we were also on Her Grace's business, as well." Martin's smile widens slightly, seeming also a bit coy. Of course, he could not say much more on that one particular matter...

"What I suppose we have come here for is...guidance, given that both all of you here and the Huntress Herself have not steered my friends and I wrong." He looks off more or less in the direction of Roland's 'palace', then back. "And this of course does not go beyond us here - Caria included, naturally." Martin sighs. "Lord Roland seems to be...still not faring well since the attack, in both body and mind. That night, while we slept, we all met Her Grace - and Caria herself could not even find a trace of the Lord Mayor. A troubling revelation, as I'm sure you'd agree. So we have come to see if there are further revelations, and what we can do to...help." Help, of course, being quite relative.

Not sure if we will need to roll or not, but Diplomacy 15/Fast-Talk 16 if it does come up, as appropriate.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 25, 2013

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

She tugs on one of the faun's sleeves, gawking at skirt after skirt seemingly tailor made for her hoofed cohort. "Oh. My. Gods. Lo, you could so pull it off," she half jokes — though it is not clear which half.

"Totally your call, anyway. I dunno. I'm gonna find something."

---

The dangers facing a bumpkin in the city are manifold. Among the lesser such evils is surely their swindling at the hands of clothiers or, in this case, a theater troupe. Colors and patterns swim by, the likes of which any fashionista would regard as garish and passé. That is, assuming it was ever in fashion. To Lette, however, they were all just so drat fancy...

---

"This is worrying," she says, standing in front of Vuoksi's temple. Her outward appearance has not changed significantly; indeed, her charcoal-green holocaust cloak remained too valuable to bag. Her hood is drawn, but with a clear view one may note her hair slightly shorter. Or rather, some of it is shorter; whether it had been cut around the plants or the latter had some unspecified capacity for growth, black gives way to green for the final inch or so.

When she moves, flashes of color peek out from beneath the cloak.

"Whatever. Can't waste all day fretting," she mutters, unrolling what appeared at a glance to be a bolt of cloth. In short order, the center of the rubble was cleared, and a stall-style tent unfurled in its place. It would not have its former grandeur, but in simplicity, perhaps they could create a new elegance. Plyussa, from the ashes, a rebirth: please help me restore your sister's house.

"Let's salvage what we can of the altar. Then we can check the least-damaged areas. Maybe some votive candles survived. And keep an eye out for any crows or ravens. Or a rook. Do scrub jays count? Them, too." They were all smart birds. They could suss out the sort of simple cause/effect relationships she had in mind: hang out and play mascot over here, get some of this delicious lamb.

On a more or less intact bench she repurposes into one of the small altars that would flank the main one, she leaves a bowl with some coin in it, a small piece of the doctrine of Perpetual Charity restored — that even in the face of the domain of finitude, mercy itself should never die. She then sets after bars, beams, and other sturdy bits of detritus that could serve to more clearly delimit the boundaries of this place: an entrance, abstract walls, and so on. Something to lend it a flow.

Above all, she remains alert to the possibility of danger. Something about the solitude here is still unnerving. Maybe people just need to be reminded that there's still something here.

Her eyes drift once more to the principal distraction in the vicinity. "...Can I just say, Lo, that we should have tried to find that look for you way sooner? Because it's working."

Whatever look you chose, that is!

If we see a bird, the sing-it-over-and-chat statblock is: Animal Empathy, Animal Friend 1, Animal Handling: Raptors 13, Musical Influence 11, Diplomacy 11, Singing 13

For hunting for artifacts, relics, candles, incense, and other objects of note for the altar in our shrine-redux, Per is 14. For general prayerfulness/meditativeness, Will is 15.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 25, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

There are certain times, even amongst the chaos of these past days, that he finds himself wondering just how he gets into these situations. One such time is when Lette leads him by the arm past skirt after skirt, stating just how wonderful he will look in one. Watching from the nearby rooftops. The shadows. Out of sight. What happened to that plan? In truth, he will not be much help to Lette from a distance if trouble finds them and this may be the only way to stay close and and still go mostly unnoticed. It still hurts to admit it and go along with this particular plan though.
Certainly he would prefer a more masculine form of disguise, but even he cannot deny that nothing will hide his noticeable body quite like a dress and some form of large hat. So should have gone with Martin or Isit... So after Lette runs off to another part of the shop to gather her own items, the faun simply stands in front of the line of dresses, shuts his eyes and accepts his fate. He reaches out, deciding to simply wear whatever he grabs first and get through this sooner rather than later.

---

"I must look ridiculous." he says in a deflated tone and with a grimace. Even more embarrassing was the padding needed to make it look...convincing. "Gods know I feel it. Fauns must become a more acceptable sight soon, so that this cannot happen in the future." Thankfully the walk to the temple had not taken long and he now stands free of many public eyes. Not that attention had come his way, that he knows of. It must be a convincing enough disguise for he often earns lingering stares when he walks around as he normally does. A faun must attract more eyes than a woman hiding most of her face after all.
He had simply kept his head firmly down on the path in front of him, masked the majority of his face with his long enough hair and prayed his horns and ears did not slip out from under the rather large hat that now sits on his head.

"I must make for quite a convincing ugly woman, for I doubt anyone suspected me to be anything else on our way here." He shifts the thing down further, so as the hem easily drifts along the floor and hides any sight of his hooves and tail. "Let us just do this quickly so I can get out of this thing please."

Trying ever so hard to forget what he is wearing for even the slightest moment, he steps amongst the rubble and assists Lette as best he can. "I doubt we will have much luck finding anything in here. It has been days after all and we surely cannot be the first to look for anything even remotely useful. Still, worth a try though. I feel I am worthy of some luck after going through all this." He searches amongst the ruin for a while before too many near falls make him realize his new outfit is hardly fit for this task. The material is quite soft th- No! Stopping that line of thought quickly, he turns his attention away from the temple for now.

"Strange how the other destroyed temples are receiving such attention whilst her's remains like this. It is oddly silent, perhaps too much so? For a moment, I shall keep my eyes open for... birds." Be it ravens, rooks, crows or Eagles.

Watching for birds and possible enemies around us. Per - 14 for birds. Observation (To be not so noticeable to possible enemies) - 14

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette shoots Lo'el a lopsided grin. "I dunno, I'd say you're pretty fetching right now. Do you suppose that says more about me than you?" To his expressed desire to change, she calls back over her shoulder: "Oh, we'll get you out of that dress."

She pauses, unsure where that had come from. "I mean," she appends in a milder tone, "if you're really uncomfortable and all."

Clearing her throat she finally turns to face him again. "Yeah, looks like it's been picked. But looters are after things with money value more than religious value, right? A penny candle is hardly worth carrying. Ditto a blessed medal, if it's pewter or something. Doubt we'll find much in the way of gilded chalices, though."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 26, 2013

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit chews on her kaht, sighing in relief. Finally she felt alive. And awake too, for that matter. Her head was no longer fuzzy, and the day was just a little brighter. The news of the Smirked was never skill. He was a nasty fucker, no doubt, but he knew his trade. Taking a sip of water, she wishes down the rest if the leaf. "A good start. Only thing we need to figure out is how not to get hosed over, eh? Let's see if he has a reputation for betrayal. If luck holds, maybe a few from my battalion joined up. May not have known each other, but we all vouch for each other. Unless you were a total psycho of course."

Diplomacy 10, Fast Talk 12, Savoir Faire Military- 12 Trying to feel out Smirker's performance on past contracts.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Understandably, what the fae and faun are doing has drawn a fair few curious looks and glances as the tent is unfurled. The rubble puts up no struggle, and nobody seems particularly interested in stopping them. That in itself is probably a tip of something being very wrong, since if anyone expected the temple to return they would likely have some sharply worded scolds to interlopers inside. Part of Lette's search is disappointed- the rubble seems to have been picked clean already, though by fleeing priests or less considerate visitors to what had been. Nothing small enough to carry away has been left but rocks. The main altar, though cracked, is not so small and remains adorned by a bowl with coin. Birds, though, seem cheerfully willing to come flock to Lette even if blackbirds remain conspicuous by their absence.

The merchants that Isit interrogates have no real clue about who may have joined the smirker's band, leaving the elf unaware of any friends who may be in the offing. Still, from what she can remember, he never really made much of an impression one way or the other, honorable or not. Mostly he just always seemed to coast on having a fearsome reputation from his facial injury, letting that do all the mystique building the man cared for. Not a very notable sort- bit of a cold fish, at least he was a few months ago. Hopefully he hadn't found religion. That always complicated things.

"Xavega's out seeing to refugees, actually." The priestess smiles. "She left just before lunch- you missed her by an hour or two. She'll be back before nightfall, but gods know how much sooner because I don't. My name is Vanai, a junior priestess, but hopefully not for long." She grins, a thin-lipped hesitant smile that makes the woman's cheeks dimple; she did seem rather young, at that. "Lord Roland... I've never met the man, of course. He doesn't come down to Temple Row, but I know Xavega's seen him once or twice since the unpleasantness. There's not too much I can say about it. He doesn't seem to have changed from my distant vantage point, the city keeps on working about as well as it had been. I'm... sorry I can't be more help." The priestess bites her lip, looks at Asha, and then back to Martin. "How are things... out there?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"This is sad," she remarks, tickling the pudgy sparrow in her lap. "Not even a drat candle. I mean, I guess we can kind of make our own. But still," she sighs, looking around.

"Hey." She pats a spot on the bench beside her. "Been a while since we've played together. Not that we really can, now," she says, indicating her lyre. "Still, though... know any good dirges?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Her remarks about his new attire earn her a sideways glance with the side of his mouth curving into a slight grin. "I suppose it does say something about you, does it not?" He does blush, not so visibly under his hat and hair, at the next thing she says before letting out a chuckle. She definitely likes this more than I do. "Believe me, it is coming off the second I no longer need it."

Among the passing crowd that throws the occasional inquisitive glance their way, he cannot appear to make out any obvious foes. Surely if they were obvious they would stop and linger, waiting for a moment. Or perhaps they are already waiting out of sight. Suppose we shall find out soon enough if they are. No sense in worrying over what may or may not happen now. He finds himself almost wanting the Eagles to make a move here. A chance for some revenge for all they have done to him.
He turns back to step amongst the rubble as Lette comments on their findings. "It is sad," he agrees, even though it is simply as he feared it would be. "People will truly take anything they can carry when there is no one to guard it. Even that which is considered sacred. A sad thing, especially for us now."

At her request, he sits on the edge of the bench. He still remains careful and does not allow his dress to rise up and reveal anything that hides underneath it. "It has indeed been a while since we played. Shame you missed the free time to do so in the Queen's camp." He grins jovially. "Although, saving our lives and doing all you did around the time is a good enough excuse to miss it, I suppose."

He considers her question for a while. "I honestly know little sad songs. Even at a faun's burial, we play joyful music, as the deceased would have wanted. Most of those I learned were when I left home and I try not to play them to keep myself in good spirits. As you say though, I dare not play a song now, for many might know our particular instruments and styles of play around town. Perhaps we can try reaching out to Vuoksi as we are now? Perhaps we do not even need candles and songs to spruce up the ritual. When I spoke with Dinym, it was simply by her temple's alter, on my knees, with little else to it. Not that I really know much about these things or how they work."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"We can try that, too." She looks down at the small bird. Is it natural to assume a goddess governing death would want a life's sacrifice? But isn't her chief aspect 'mercy'...?

Lette gently shoos the bird, watching it fly back up to a higher perch. "Come on, then. We'll pray. And if we don't hear anything... I guess we can return tonight. Try again to dream of her, but in proper sleep, as Dolan said."

Kneeling before the remains of the altar, Lette sits in silence for a moment. Finally, she removes the pendant Alec had made for her: the artifact of one now in the goddess's care — an artifact the crow had herself touched, when her avian avatar had alighted upon her after claiming her late ex-husband. She places it on the altar.

"I don't know many prayers to you, Vuoksi — just the one children are taught to say before bed. But now I beseech your presence, for there is something only you can reveal. And in return I know not what to offer, save to see your house rebuilt. But if there is more, we will hear it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"No news is good news, in some cases," Dolan mutters. "At least with mercenaries. Likely if he had a reputation for betraying his employers, we'd hear about it. That kind of thing is not exactly a good thing for a band to do. My only concern is that his reputation might make the queen more likely to attack, hoping to get a good fight out of him. Of course, I'm sure we are far beyond that worry by now." He frowns, scratching his chin. "I doubt acquiring his services would hurt, at this point. He might just be useful."

• Locked thread