Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
So this is my preliminary sketch of the tank I want

I'm still waiting for quotes on this layout, I'm sure the final version will change by a couple inches here or there. The thing I'm having a hard time with is figuring out how large to make the part of the "L" that sticks out from the main body. I want it to look kind of proportional but only have 54" of width to work with. Depth is also an issue, I want the body to be at least 24" deep and I can't make the part that sticks out TOO long because the tank will be just too loving huge, but too short will make it look stubby and weird. Any thoughts?

Maybe this is just a bad idea and I should stick with a 54x24x24 rectangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I was going to suggest you do a golden rectangle tank, just remove a similar segment from the corner. I even went to try and diagram it out to make sure it looked good and give you some concrete numbers, but it seems like I've completely forgotten all forms of math :(

I'm wondering if you guys have opinions on a hypothetical concept, the marine Walstad tank. Would macroalgae absorb enough nutrients to work? Would you have to use seagrass? Would the whole thing just spontaneously combust?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, many months ago I posted about the slimer in my tank spawning a couple times.

While I was feeding the fish tonight, I was looking into the depths of the monti cap and noticed green specks! What are the odds that these are new baby green slimers? They're much more pronounced in person, cell phone cameras suck.

How cool would that be!

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I keep killing my green slimmers :smith:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

I keep killing my green slimmers :smith:

Boo, well if these actually grow you can have some of mine!

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
I got a sea hare nudibranch about a week ago and as soon as I put him in the tank he tumbled behind a rock. I haven't seen him since! I've looked EVERYWHERE and the drat thing won't show up! I hope he's okay, if he died would I somehow know about it?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anhedonia posted:

I got a sea hare nudibranch about a week ago and as soon as I put him in the tank he tumbled behind a rock. I haven't seen him since! I've looked EVERYWHERE and the drat thing won't show up! I hope he's okay, if he died would I somehow know about it?

Dunno about hares, but most nudibranchs can and will release toxins upon dying. I'd run new carbon just in case and keep looking.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
My tank is against a wall so I can't see behind too well, but I really can't see him. If he had died he would be decaying somewhere and possibly being picked at, right? He wouldn't just dissolve completely? Is it a bad idea to take down all my LR and look or could that spike things too much?

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

Anhedonia posted:

My tank is against a wall so I can't see behind too well, but I really can't see him. If he had died he would be decaying somewhere and possibly being picked at, right? He wouldn't just dissolve completely? Is it a bad idea to take down all my LR and look or could that spike things too much?

You have to be super careful with acclimation for those types of animals, it really depends on exactly what it was and how big he is if it's going to have an affect.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The funny part about sea hares is that the conditions that give rise to the rampant algae growth they're really superb at taking down ....are extremely toxic to them. The irony is that the nutrient level in the tank needs to be most of the way to the right spot already (next to zero) before they have a good shot at surviving in it. At which point the algae mass should be well on the way to starving itself out.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Flatworm alert: https://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetailcc.asp?did=11&cid=354&pid=18931

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

Still no sign of the sea hare :/

Water levels remain stable and I haven't found a body or anything that suggests he ever existed. Algae is still running rampant. Is there some form of nudibranch detector on the market?

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

From one new hobbyist to another- I wish you'd stop adding more creatures to your new tank. Patience, my friend.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Warsteiner posted:

From one new hobbyist to another- I wish you'd stop adding more creatures to your new tank. Patience, my friend.

I gotta agree with warsteiner. It seems you are lucky so far with that sea hare not nuking your tank. But one of these days your luck is going to run out. I think multiple people in this thread have told you that you should slow down. Ultimately it's your money you are flushing down the toilet though so do what you will.

Your issue right now is cyano yes? Are you running carbon or pearls in a reactor? When I ran pearls I always had a cyano problem. Otherwise clean your glass, and do water changes every week to help clear it out. Are you running a protein skimmer? What is your tank size. Can you post a picture or two?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Well, I've scraped the L-shaped tank idea since the quotes came in too high and it was going to be too drat big. The stand was like twice the price of a standard 48" long stand.

I think I'm going to go with a setup pretty much identical to this:

A nearby LFS ordered a 48x30x19 Leemar like this for a customer who canceled his order after it was already made. I just need the stand. I really wanted 20-24 inches high and this thing is 19" which is bothering me but otherwise its pretty nice. I'm getting a quote for a 50x30x24 eurobraced so depending on what that comes in at I'll make my choice.

What skimmers are you guys with the larger tanks running? What about return pumps?

SlaveTrader
Jan 12, 2003

*sigh* Those were the days...

Anhedonia posted:

Still no sign of the sea hare :/

Yes, patience is key. Trust us!

I had a sea hare ( a rental, no less ) and I 'lost' him like you did. After frantic searching for over a week, I finally figured out his habits.

He would only come out about an hour after lights out. He would work his magic on one specific spot for maybe 45 minutes and then would drop off the rock he was on and bury himself in the sand. If he lasted more than 45 minutes on any one rock, he wouldn't come out for a couple of days.

After about 2 weeks of this behavior, he came out one night and just went to town on every bit of algae on the tank. He started about an hour after lights out as usual but kept right on eating through lights on and into the next afternoon. He then buried himself again for a day or so. After that, he started coming out more and more, looking for stuff to eat ( but not touching anything I offered ) and after a day or so more, I took him back to the store.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

visuvius posted:

Well, I've scraped the L-shaped tank idea since the quotes came in too high and it was going to be too drat big. The stand was like twice the price of a standard 48" long stand.

I think I'm going to go with a setup pretty much identical to this:

A nearby LFS ordered a 48x30x19 Leemar like this for a customer who canceled his order after it was already made. I just need the stand. I really wanted 20-24 inches high and this thing is 19" which is bothering me but otherwise its pretty nice. I'm getting a quote for a 50x30x24 eurobraced so depending on what that comes in at I'll make my choice.

What skimmers are you guys with the larger tanks running? What about return pumps?

That is a nice tank. My next will be a 50 short rimless. I forget the name for it but it's like 24x19x48

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
So got my final quotes.

- $2,500 for 48x30x19 Leemar rimless identical to the pic with same 40" stand, custom acrylic sump, Aquamaxx skimmer, sicce return pump, 6 bags of sand and plumbing

- $3,200 for 50x30x24 Leemar eurobraced with the same gear

poo poo is totally up in the air at this point. That extra 5 inches vertical is appealing as hell but I'm not a huge fan of the eurobraced look. I didn't think it would make a huge difference but after looking at some pics, man rimless is way cleaner looking.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Was trying to frag a few pieces off the gigantic monti cap to bring to the LFS this weekend.

The first frag came off okay, it's about 5-6 inches long.
notice the dead part where it was shaded by another part of the cap.

Oops.

This is more of a colony than a frag, it probably weighs close to a pound.

Also, coral smells like poo poo. Will definitely wear gloves next time.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 6, 2013

MKLKT
Oct 21, 2010

...armed with five-five-sixers, and pineapples.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Was trying to frag a few pieces off the gigantic monti cap to bring to the LFS this weekend.

The first frag came off okay, it's about 5-6 inches long.
notice the dead part where it was shaded by another part of the cap.

Oops.

This is more of a colony than a frag, it probably weighs close to a pound.

Also, coral smells like poo poo. Will definitely wear gloves next time.

The absolute worst coral for smell that I've found is Anthelia, hooo-ly poo poo is it awful. The only way you can get rid of it is to flush it. Throw it in the trash triple bagged? gently caress that, garbage can smells like death. I double zip-locked it before and it still stank.

visuvius, I've got a 110h (48x18x29) I normally wouldn't have picked such a tall tank but I got the tank, stand and plumbing for $100. It's so tall that you have to be about 6' 3" to see over the top.

I use a Speedwave DC pump and was using an Eheim Compact 5000+ before that. I like the DC pump quite a bit, it's easier to dampen the sound I find and it's gotten quieter since I bought it. Has some cool features like a feed timer and adjustible speeds (without the sound, heat and life issues of an AC pump. For skimming I've got a Vertex 180, works well and the sound is reasonable, mine has stopped restarting on its own though, probably needs a cleaning (If you plug the intake for a split second it starts).

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Welp I went with the 48x30x19 Leemar. Starfire on 3 sides with corner overflow and a 40" espresso flush door stand. Same dimensions as this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KMpzNgYoA

I really wanted 48x30x24 but ultimately I decided the added height wasn't worth it for an extra $1200. The tanks already built but the stand won't be finished for another couple of weeks. Yesterday I spent 8 ours taking down my 50 cube mixed reef. What a poo poo ton of work that was. In the end I had everything in 9 buckets and miraculously didn't lose anything. The biggest loss was a fairly large piece of a neon green birdnest breaking off.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

visuvius posted:

Welp I went with the 48x30x19 Leemar. Starfire on 3 sides with corner overflow and a 40" espresso flush door stand. Same dimensions as this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KMpzNgYoA

I really wanted 48x30x24 but ultimately I decided the added height wasn't worth it for an extra $1200. The tanks already built but the stand won't be finished for another couple of weeks. Yesterday I spent 8 ours taking down my 50 cube mixed reef. What a poo poo ton of work that was. In the end I had everything in 9 buckets and miraculously didn't lose anything. The biggest loss was a fairly large piece of a neon green birdnest breaking off.

That's a pretty tank. To be honest, the more experience I gain, the more I regret the additional depth of my tank (48 long, 24 wide, 30 deep); not being able to easily reach the bottom is a huge hassle.

I've always been curious about rimless, but it seems to really limit some of your fish options. I know that there are some fish that are explicitly labeled as likely jumpers, but even with more sedate species, don't you still have to worry a bit about carpet surfing?

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

What's the common setup for attaching frags/coral/rocks these days? JB WaterWeld and some superglue gel? I haven't bought coral in a while and have some euphyllia I need to organize, and an acro rock to mount.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Castaign posted:

That's a pretty tank. To be honest, the more experience I gain, the more I regret the additional depth of my tank (48 long, 24 wide, 30 deep); not being able to easily reach the bottom is a huge hassle.

I've always been curious about rimless, but it seems to really limit some of your fish options. I know that there are some fish that are explicitly labeled as likely jumpers, but even with more sedate species, don't you still have to worry a bit about carpet surfing?

Yes, anytime you don't have a cover on a tank you run a non-zero chance that a spooked fish will leap out of your tank and onto the floor. Plus, you have a lot more evaporation and cooling in the tank. When, I ran topless in Michigan I had to run four 75 watt heaters to keep my 55 gallon tank warm in the winter verses two when I ran with a top. That said, I really like being able to look down into the tank with the lights on and I love the look of rimless tanks.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I prefer the old school aquamend... when home depot stopped carrying it i ordered a small case of it online.

To glue frags I use the boston reefer reef glue, it's a very solid product. For mini colony and up I make a ball of aqua mend and dab the glue gel liberally on both sides of the ball.

True colonies I don't bother to glue down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 23, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

api call girl posted:

I prefer the old school aquamend... when home depot stopped carrying it i ordered a small case of it online.

To glue frags I use the boston reefer reef glue, it's a very solid product. For mini colony and up I make a ball of aqua mend and dab the glue gel liberally on both sides of the ball.

True colonies I don't bother to glue down.

Yep. Frags get superglue or two part epoxy, colonies get their own space on the sand.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

zhuangcg posted:

Yes, anytime you don't have a cover on a tank you run a non-zero chance that a spooked fish will leap out of your tank and onto the floor. Plus, you have a lot more evaporation and cooling in the tank. When, I ran topless in Michigan I had to run four 75 watt heaters to keep my 55 gallon tank warm in the winter verses two when I ran with a top. That said, I really like being able to look down into the tank with the lights on and I love the look of rimless tanks.

I'm in Georgia, so the cooling effect is actually a bonus here. I used to struggle to keep the tank under 81 degrees in the summer; now I have a home made screen mesh top that I'm very happy with.

Of course, I'm losing close to a gallon and a half a day to evaporation, but at least the tank temp is comfy.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
My cerith snails are all laying eggs all over my tank at the same time. I wouldn't normally care, but snail eggs are pretty gnarly looking, and they are everywhere. I only have two clowns, and a bangaii cardinal in there, and they aren't going for the eggs at all. I really hope all these eggs don't hatch.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Aquamend is the stuff I used to use, bummer to hear it is no longer available; I'm going to pick up some Water Weld tomorrow. The only reason this is necessary is I am tired of the dozen or so different pieces of euphyllia species sitting in the sand bed or leaned precariously against rocks. Hopefully I can combine them into a decent colony that is easier to aquascape with.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Wandering Orange posted:

Aquamend is the stuff I used to use, bummer to hear it is no longer available; I'm going to pick up some Water Weld tomorrow. The only reason this is necessary is I am tired of the dozen or so different pieces of euphyllia species sitting in the sand bed or leaned precariously against rocks. Hopefully I can combine them into a decent colony that is easier to aquascape with.

Oh it's still available, Home Depot just doesn't carry it anymore for whatever reason.

Anything that's marked for "potable water" purposes should be alright, but I remember having issues with the waterweld in terms of it not mixing as well as the aquamend.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Yeah I use JB Waterweld + Superglue Gel. Bottom of Frag > Superglue Gel > little ball of Waterweld > More Superglue Gel > Rock.

As far as rimless tanks and jumpers, I've been lucky with my rimless 50 cube. I've got a midas blenny that I was afraid might jump but he has never attempted. A couple of times while watching TV I have noticed weird splashes at the top of the water but wasn't quick enough to notice what happened.

Got the new tank upstairs and on it's stand. It was a colossal bitch but I got it done. I'm picking up the sump, sand, skimmer and return pump Wednesday then I'm pretty much ready to setup. Also ordered a WP25 but that won't get here for a while.

Moving the cube took 9 hours but thankfully I didn't have any real losses -- biggest loss was a good chunk my favorite birdnest broke off. Aquascaping the new tank with all this rock that has SPS encrusting on to it and frags attached is going to be a challenge. Either way I gots to get these guys out of here.

With my cube I had a refugium and was running GFO. I think with this tank I'm going to go for a simpler setup -- just a bigass skimmer, carbon and good clean water changes. I think I'm also going to switch over to ESV2 instead of the BRS 2 part. Hopefully this gets me the color I've been looking for.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bare bottom huh? I'd like to do a bare bottom tank, but the deterius cleanup would drive me crazy.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

SaNChEzZ posted:

Bare bottom huh? I'd like to do a bare bottom tank, but the deterius cleanup would drive me crazy.

That is the cube after I took it down and set it up again at the new place. It is only temporarily housing my corals until I get them into the new tank this weekend. I therw out all my old sand. I'm definitely not going bare bottom. I like sand and lots of it. I'm probably going to go with 6-8 bags of Aragamax for the new tank.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
More snail eggs!!

Too bad none of them will survive :smith:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Henchman 21 posted:

More snail eggs!!

Too bad none of them will survive :smith:

Ugh, they're so gross. I always leave them in hopes that something will eat them, but I think my girlfriend scrapes them off with the magfloat, she hates them more than I do.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Crazy I've never seen their actual little batches of eggs but I have tons of baby snails in my cube.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
Hi! Im a long time lurker here, and just bought my first saltwater all in one tank.

Crapy cell shot after 4 week.

I need help identifying stuff on my live rock.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Top one looks like a sponge, and the bottom one looks like a zoa/paly

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Nice man! Lookin good.

The first one kind of looks like some kind of encrusting monti to me. Maybe its just the way the light is hitting it.

The second one is some kind of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
the second one seem to come out from a long tube if it can help..

• Locked thread