Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is it doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Waltzing Along posted:

What is it doing?

The icons for ME1 and ME2 got replaced with the icons for the DLCs.

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 21, 2013

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

VirtualStranger posted:

The icons for ME1 and ME2 got replaced with the icons for the DLCs.

Product placement.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I picked up and played ME3 back when it first came out and beat it in 2 days. Like most people I felt the ending was a bit off putting, but the Extended Cut cleared up a lot and gave me some sense of resolution. After the Citadel DLC came out I waited a bit before buying it and the other DLCs so I could start a new game and play through everything.

The sheer amount of specific content in the Citadel DLC is insane. From romancing Samara (why?) to ghost Thane, it really was a perfect resolution to the past 5 years of Mass Effect games I've played multiple times and gotten to know every character.

It took me a while because I kept putting it down for a week or two then coming back, but the Citadel DLC was completely perfect. Finishing up the party and heading back to the Normandy I felt like I did when I first beat ME3, only much more positive. For me, rather then keep playing I shut it down and put the game back on the shelf. I've seen the ending, but I'd rather end the entire trilogy, with the same character I carried over from ME1, on the high note that the DLC offered.

On an unrelated note, checking wikipedia to see when ME1 came out I saw this

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Seems like this has been a longstanding issue and there hasn't been a concrete fix for it, so I whipped up something to remove the hard cap of 50 save files in ME3. Well, it doesn't remove it per se - but it raises the limit from 50 to 250 because file structures are strange and it was the best way to get it to work on as many installs as possible.

You can grab it here. Hope it helps.

NB: I've tested this on a grand total of two ME3 installs, which isn't the best sample size. Be sure to back up your original SFXGame.pcc file just in case - but the .zip includes a copy of the original file if you forget.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Do I have to talk to everyone on the Normandy regularly in ME3? These people seem to be piling up fast on the ship. I really don't feel like making rounds all the time through 5 floors.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Do I have to talk to everyone on the Normandy regularly in ME3? These people seem to be piling up fast on the ship. I really don't feel like making rounds all the time through 5 floors.

You do if you want to get all their bonus powers, each has two. You only need to do this once period, subsequent playthroughs will let you keep the powers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Squirtle Squadee posted:

You don't have to do it every time if you don't want and you shouldn't miss out on much if anything. The best bet is to check your map after a fairly meaty mission (either main questline or one of the Cerberus sidequests) and see if characters are in places they usually aren't - that generally means you're going to see a completely new, unique bit of banter between them and Shepard or them and another crewmember (sometimes even one of the unnamed crewmen). You'll also be informed via e-mail or Traynor whenever somebody would really like to speak with you, either in their usual location or up in your cabin.

pentyne posted:

The sheer amount of specific content in the Citadel DLC is insane. From romancing Samara (why?) to ghost Thane, it really was a perfect resolution to the past 5 years of Mass Effect games I've played multiple times and gotten to know every character.

I've heard people say Ghost Thane a few times - what actually happens? Is it literally a ghost or just his son doing the Drell memory thing or something like that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Well, in the previous ME games, the squad would have something new to say after a mission (side quest or otherwise) until they ran out of dialogue. It's been a while since I played ME3, but what I want to say is that there is almost always something for everyone to say after every mission but its when you dock at the Citadel where you'll run out of dialogue. Most of the time in the Normandy its just the auto-dialogue but I'm pretty sure everyone has at least a line about whatever mission you just went on.

Also half the game is talking to your squad, you should be used to that at this point :v:

Jerusalem posted:

You don't have to do it every time if you don't want and you shouldn't miss out on much if anything. The best bet is to check your map after a fairly meaty mission (either main questline or one of the Cerberus sidequests) and see if characters are in places they usually aren't - that generally means you're going to see a completely new, unique bit of banter between them and Shepard or them and another crewmember (sometimes even one of the unnamed crewmen). You'll also be informed via e-mail or Traynor whenever somebody would really like to speak with you, either in their usual location or up in your cabin.

I've heard people say Ghost Thane a few times - what actually happens? Is it literally a ghost or just his son doing the Drell memory thing or something like that?

If Shepard romanced Thane in ME2 and doesn't hook up with anyone else in ME3, Thane (who at that point is dead) will appear at the end of the Citadel DLC story where everyone is looking out over the Normandy for a final goodbye. Like an actual conversation, meaning Shepard may be a bit crazy :shepface:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00ymaEG0Nac

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Kibayasu posted:

If Shepard romanced Thane in ME2 and doesn't hook up with anyone else in ME3, Thane (who at that point is dead) will appear at the end of the Citadel DLC story where everyone is looking out over the Normandy for a final goodbye. Like an actual conversation, meaning Shepard may be a bit crazy :shepface:

That hallucinogenic skin is really kicking in, isn't it...

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well that's that, I think. 220+ hours recorded in Origin over the entire trilogy (plus what must be another 100 hours or so from the first two games when I had them as retail copies years ago) but with this latest runthrough of Citadel done I think I'm done with the Mass Effect trilogy, at least for a good while. Multiplayer is fun but it doesn't have the same storyline appeal as the singleplayer game for me, and there's no way I could (or should) devote the time to it to get the most out of it. A hell of a ride, even taking into account all the issues with ME3 I still look back on this series with happy nostalgia. I don't know if I should feel eager for ME4 or hope that they just let it end as it currently is, but regardless of how that turns out I'll always have happy memories of taking my two Shepards through the trilogy.

:unsmith:

I want to play the life of my Liara-Shepard Asari kiddo :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

:stare:

Okay, so yeah, Shepard is loving insane.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I just finished this... I finished the entire series. I want to know who's awful decision it was to give the player no real closure whatsoever, no way to interact with the galaxy they hosed over/sacrificed so much for, etc... The ending gave be the biggest closure blueballs I have ever had and not even The Citadel DLC, which I was told is the sweet balm on that burn, is helping.

Part of me just wants to type a long rear end angry spergfest, but it wouldn't do anything. It wouldn't make me feel better. :smith:

I don't exactly regret it, I liked the series, but goddamn.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Jenner posted:

I just finished this... I finished the entire series. I want to know who's awful decision it was to give the player no real closure whatsoever, no way to interact with the galaxy they hosed over/sacrificed so much for, etc... The ending gave be the biggest closure blueballs I have ever had and not even The Citadel DLC, which I was told is the sweet balm on that burn, is helping.

Part of me just wants to type a long rear end angry spergfest, but it wouldn't do anything. It wouldn't make me feel better. :smith:

That's why you pick high ems destroy and pretend the citadel dlc happens two years later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jenner posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471712

Welcome to the bitching thread. No one has started things up in a while. I recommend you go stir the pot. Look at it as part of the healing process. And congrats.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually think putting everything in this thread is probably a better idea at this point, I don't think we need three threads more than a year after release.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jenner posted:

Don't worry, everyone feels like this the first time. In future playthroughs just pretend everything that happens after the white elevator is that after Shep saved the galaxy she went out with Wrex and drank a keg of Ryncol and that was her bad-drunk dream and she woke up in a puddle of her own vomit. Which would still be better than what we actually got :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If that experience doesn't alienate him enough, so there won't be future playthroughs.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Jenner posted:

Prior to the Extended Cut I would've agreed wholeheartedly that ME3 doesn't offer any proper closure. Given the fairly comprehensive epilogues now in the game for each of the major endings (disregarding the one in which you don't fire the Catalyst and everyone dies, however, and the fact that they reflect a number of choices/events throughout the trilogy, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sombrerotron posted:

Prior to the Extended Cut I would've agreed wholeheartedly that ME3 doesn't offer any proper closure. Given the fairly comprehensive epilogues now in the game for each of the major endings (disregarding the one in which you don't fire the Catalyst and everyone dies,

To be fair, that ending gives pretty definitive closure for every single character.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
But what happened to Barla Von!? Or the preacher batarian guy? I need my closure drat it!

In all seriousness I do want to know what happened to all the people that were on the Citadel before poo poo hit the fan there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
In the immortal words of George Lucas (RIP), "They died."

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Dan Didio posted:

To be fair, that ending gives pretty definitive closure for every single character.
That is true, I shouldn't have implied that it's not comprehensive - it just doesn't bother with superfluous details.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm finding the high abundance of Reapers disappointing. In the first two games, they were some scary-rear end monsters, and every time I heard their bass-y sound effect, I was felt genuine fear.

In Mass Effect 3, I hear that bass sound all the time, and there's so many Reapers, so the "awe" factor has completely vanished. You see them way too often in the galaxy map, and it just makes them another annoying part of the game rather than a giant creature that is going to gently caress you up.

Dealing with one made things more personal, and Bioware really ruined the theme with Mass Effect 3.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 24, 2013

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I still haven't seen the EC ending. On my last run I was in a rush to get to the ending after the Citadel DLC, so as the space kid began his spiel I was already mashing the left mouse button and managed to shot him in the face, ending his speech abruptly and giving me the "Liara hidding her box" ending :v:

On the other hand, one of the highlight of the series for me was the arrival on Mars for the first time. Now when I listen to the Mars theme on the OST I know that in a few months time I will fell the urge to run through the series again. :unsmith:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ulvino posted:

I was in a rush to get to the ending after the Citadel DLC

You're doing it wrong.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Dealing with one made things more personal, and Bioware really ruined the theme with Mass Effect 3.

Oh boy, you ain't seen nothing yet :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ulvino posted:

I still haven't seen the EC ending. On my last run I was in a rush to get to the ending after the Citadel DLC, so as the space kid began his spiel I was already mashing the left mouse button and managed to shot him in the face, ending his speech abruptly and giving me the "Liara hidding her box" ending :v:

On the other hand, one of the highlight of the series for me was the arrival on Mars for the first time. Now when I listen to the Mars theme on the OST I know that in a few months time I will fell the urge to run through the series again. :unsmith:

I hope by "after the Citadel DLC" you don't just mean finishing the main story bit, because there is a god damned ton of content beyond that, even not including the party.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm finding the high abundance of Reapers disappointing. In the first two games, they were some scary-rear end monsters, and every time I heard their bass-y sound effect, I was felt genuine fear.

In Mass Effect 3, I hear that bass sound all the time, and there's so many Reapers, so the "awe" factor has completely vanished. You see them way too often in the galaxy map, and it just makes them another annoying part of the game rather than a giant creature that is going to gently caress you up.

There is certainly something wrong with my reaction to the Reaper sound effect being :rolleyes: when I was trying to scan systems for resources. Like you, previously hearing that amazing sound got an automatic "OH SHIIIIIIIT!" reaction from me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

In all seriousness I do want to know what happened to all the people that were on the Citadel before poo poo hit the fan there.

I would like to think that the higher your Citadel Defense Force war asset is, the more people got to evacuate.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I would like to think that the higher your Citadel Defense Force war asset is, the more people got to evacuate.

:speculate:

More than anything else, a higher Citadel Defense Force score didn't seem to have a point.

Building the Crucible? Sure, that makes sense. Acquiring/increasing allied forces for Sword or Hammer? Ok; none of these were shown (outside of different forces giving you different "Sword reporting in" cutscenes) but still you could get the idea that having a larger Sword/Hammer would make some difference.

But the Citadel Defense Force? The only times the Citadel is attacked is during the Cerberus Coup (when you are still early in building up your forces) and when the Reapers take it ("welp, you are on your own.")

I wonder if the CDF was part of some cut content; maybe it would have made a difference with the removed boss fight with Mecha-TIM, or there would have been an extended sequence on the Citadel fighting Reaper forces or something. But removing all that would have meant :effort:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder if the CDF was part of some cut content; maybe it would have made a difference with the removed boss fight with Mecha-TIM, or there would have been an extended sequence on the Citadel fighting Reaper forces or something. But removing all that would have meant :effort:

A boss fight where the CDF supported you against Mecha-TIM would have been pretty awesome, "too video game-y" or no.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

You're doing it wrong.

But, but, the canon ending... :qq:

Kibayasu posted:

I hope by "after the Citadel DLC" you don't just mean finishing the main story bit, because there is a god damned ton of content beyond that, even not including the party.

Yeah, I know, I lingered for a while and did arena missions to get all the story bits from each character. I think I did miss the final hidden challenge at the arena or something like that (only got to 9999 to get the armor). Oh, and the chin-ups contest with Vega. :v:

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
What's the best order to do the DLC in, and at what point during the main game?

I just finished Thessia and was planning on doing Omega and Leviathan now before Horizon, as I think I'm coming close to the end of the game. Citadel should be saved for an epilogue, right?

Also, just a comment on how fun this game is: I've done insanity Vanguard runs through ME1 and ME2, and the charge/nova spam in 3 finally makes my Shepherd feel like an actual charging maniac rather than a guy who plucked with his SMG and occasionally threw some biotic powers out there. Maximum power recharg spec -> infinite charge/nova spam -> infinite fun. It's great. I can't describe how much I am enjoying this game. I thought ME1 and ME2 were excellent at the time. but I can't imagine going back and replaying them, though, after playing 3. The pace would be just too slow. I'll have to give it a few years before I do my ME1-2-3 Insanity Infiltrator Paragon Femshep, just to get the exact opposite of the experience I had with a male Renegade Vanguard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

gaan kak posted:

I just finished Thessia and was planning on doing Omega and Leviathan now before Horizon, as I think I'm coming close to the end of the game. Citadel should be saved for an epilogue, right?

Omega and Leviathan whenever, really. Citadel just before Cerberus if you want the most content and maximum tonal whiplash.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

gaan kak posted:

Also, just a comment on how fun this game is: I've done insanity Vanguard runs through ME1 and ME2, and the charge/nova spam in 3 finally makes my Shepherd feel like an actual charging maniac rather than a guy who plucked with his SMG and occasionally threw some biotic powers out there. Maximum power recharg spec -> infinite charge/nova spam -> infinite fun. It's great. I can't describe how much I am enjoying this game. I thought ME1 and ME2 were excellent at the time. but I can't imagine going back and replaying them, though, after playing 3. The pace would be just too slow. I'll have to give it a few years before I do my ME1-2-3 Insanity Infiltrator Paragon Femshep, just to get the exact opposite of the experience I had with a male Renegade Vanguard.

Join us in the MP thread. You can try out the other flavors of Vanguard. All of them require the ridiculous and near-suicidal playstyle that Vanguard Shep uses.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Leviathan is nice because the DLC missions are sort of integrated into the "core" missions, so you can switch in and out of doing Leviathan missions whenever you like. I say just start it whenever you get it.

Omega is more of a traditional DLC where you're there until you finish it. I usually start it after the Citadel invasion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

gaan kak posted:

Citadel is the Epilogue to the game. You always do Citadel last. Even though you can do it during the main game, you shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Citadel is the Epilogue to the game. You always do Citadel last. Even though you can do it during the main game, you shouldn't.

Seriously. Complete the main game, then pretend that after recovering from those events, Shepard goes to the Citadel for some R&R, gets into one more wacky adventure we can all take part in, and then throws a big party to celebrate before heading back to the Normandy to set off on more adventures that will sadly go unseen by us.

For me, it's the very best way to end the game and ends the trilogy on a pitch-perfect note.

• Locked thread