Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I Before E posted:

When this thread was talking about non-title ladder matches, I can't believe nobody mentioned the epic 3 Count/Jung Dragons ladder match for 3 Count's recording contract and gold record.

That match was ok but God Almighty the commentary makes it pretty much unbearable. If you have to watch it, mute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Speaking of commentating, it can really break or make a match sometimes. There are certain matches (Striker commentating in particular) where I wish they would just edit out things or record a new commentary because some moron is commentating who ruins the moment for all posterity.

Has there ever been an announcer who kind of botched their commentary and dragged down a match and apologized for it afterwards?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Before E posted:

When this thread was talking about non-title ladder matches, I can't believe nobody mentioned the epic 3 Count/Jung Dragons ladder match for 3 Count's recording contract and gold record.

Which is on Ladder Match 2 on Netflix.
Just a tip for those who haven't seen it. Tank's superfan persona is really weird and unsettling.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 26, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Which is on Ladder Match 2 on Netflix.

I know, that's why it came to mind. I'm currently on the Tajiri & Guerrero v. Team Angle match.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I Before E posted:

I know, that's why it came to mind. I'm currently on the Tajiri & Guerrero v. Team Angle match.
It's a decent collection. It has the WrestleMania 23 MITB match which I saw live but remember none of.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's a decent collection. It has the WrestleMania 23 MITB match which I saw live but remember none of.

I'm not sure why Razor/Michaels was on it, given it should have been the first choice for the first one, but at least that amazing match is on Netflix.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Tato posted:

Speaking of commentating, it can really break or make a match sometimes. There are certain matches (Striker commentating in particular) where I wish they would just edit out things or record a new commentary because some moron is commentating who ruins the moment for all posterity.

Has there ever been an announcer who kind of botched their commentary and dragged down a match and apologized for it afterwards?

About half a year ago (I think but I'm not positive, that it was Hell in a Cell 2012) JBL was the absolute worst at commentary during a Divas match and then acknowledged it and apologized during the segment afterward.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

The WHC is a midcard jobber/going nowhere title like the IC belt was in the early 00s, so I don't see much reasoning to keep it as a "world championship." It seems like they give all these guys WHC runs to prepare them for the REAL Cena title.

Also it's still technically the Smackdown title, as it still gets defended in Smackdown main events but rarely on Raw. I don't mind that. Free-floating rosters but title-defense-exclusive shows would be fine, but it's not official at this point and I wish they'd make it official.

Does Raw still do intros? The last several weeks I haven't remembered a fireworks intro or theme song, just a wide shot of the arena from the nosebleeds and then something happens.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I am not 100% sure, but I feel like WWE dropped pyro for intros years ago. It was at the time they were cutting costs overall, the first thing I noticed was that they cut way back on pyro.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I am not 100% sure, but I feel like WWE dropped pyro for intros years ago. It was at the time they were cutting costs overall, the first thing I noticed was that they cut way back on pyro.

There also seemed to be less at WM this year.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Didn't they cut back after some fire scare a few years ago? Did that happen or am I making that up?

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

oldpainless posted:

Didn't they cut back after some fire scare a few years ago? Did that happen or am I making that up?

Pyro injured a bunch of people at Wrestlemania 24. I don't know if there was another incident or not.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
When they moved to the HD set, they lit a bit of it on fire

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And that Elimination Chamber where Undertaker was ignited.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It was all Matt Hardy's doing.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
What do you think is the logical endpoint of any heel stable? If you push a heel stable to be a dominant threat (like the nWo or The Shield), it seems inevitable that they'll win some top titles and "take over" the company to some degree. If you keep the heel stable on top for too long the faces start looking like incompetent idiots who can't even tie their shoes (WCW), so the point is to have some faces finally defeat them before they get stale (like Daniel Bryan finally beating The Shield).

I ask because The Shield seem to be in an odd space right now. They definitely ran roughshod over the company and top talent for months, but it's not like they really "took over" or ever won the world title. Daniel Bryan finally vanquished them in 6 man competition, so the whole "face finally beats the heel group" storyline seems done and each subsequent victory over The Shield will mean less and less. Should The Shield just continue to be solid workers who retain the mid-card belts and give some credibility to them, or should they move things to a higher level? Basically, I see a lot of people griping about how The Shield are being handled now, but I honestly can't think of what to do with them right now. They seem to be in a holding period until one of them is deemed ready to challenge Cena.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope they'll continue to be booked strongly overall but a loss here and there is okay at times. I'd have preferred to see something like the SHIELD, Punk, Brock managed by Heyman go on a dominant streak over everything but are brought down by internal fighting stemming from Brock deciding he wants more and who is going to stop him. What I mean by this is, a dominant heel stable is not just defeated by good guys but if you want some kind of Hunter like long lasting reputation, have the stable be destroyed from within by themselves.

I mean, Evolution did this, right? And we got Randy Orton and Batista out of it. Main eventers. Granted there's more surrounding it but it's kind of the example I'm going for.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Gatts posted:

I hope they'll continue to be booked strongly overall but a loss here and there is okay at times. I'd have preferred to see something like the SHIELD, Punk, Brock managed by Heyman go on a dominant streak over everything but are brought down by internal fighting stemming from Brock deciding he wants more and who is going to stop him. What I mean by this is, a dominant heel stable is not just defeated by good guys but if you want some kind of Hunter like long lasting reputation, have the stable be destroyed from within by themselves.

I mean, Evolution did this, right? And we got Randy Orton and Batista out of it. Main eventers. Granted there's more surrounding it but it's kind of the example I'm going for.

Yeah, the only effective way for a heel stable to end is through internal dischord; the catalyst of said dischord should be the babyfaces stymying their grand design, but the dischord is what creates new stars. Otherwise you get the Nexus.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The Shield at this point are going to be a 3-man version of Sheamus. Over, but not really carrying the company or doing anything remarkable. They'll continue to have great matches in the middle of random shows and PPVs.

I hate to say it, because I really loved the unit when they started and thought they had a lot of potential. But they've already been overexposed and are now sliding into the WWE midcard trap.

I'm not even saying they're being "buried" or whatever... they're just going to be the same as everyone else in the WWE who isn't John Cena, The Rock or HHH.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Those guys are totes donezo. Time for the Wyatt family to take over for a couple months then get buried deep in the swamp that is the WWE.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

To me a group like the Shield can be treated more like a heel tag team or even the Four Horsemen rather than a huge invading heel group llike the NWO, SCUM, or Aces and 8's.

Groups like those with a "takeover the company" agenda definitely need to have a clear blowoff angle planned from the outset or you run the danger of them growing very stale. On the other hand, Insee no reason why the Shield couldn't continue to exist as an over trio for quite some time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Shield haven't ever expressed a desire to take over the company, have they? Their motives are still very shadowy, and I've come to like that because they're not the Bond villain, laying out their plans explicitly so they can be thwarted. They act more like a real terrorist group would.

e: I misread you Thauros, my bad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Vince said the SHIELD remind him of himself, right? Shouldn't that be included in their storyline somehow? It's like they are unofficially endorsed by the CEO in this case or should incorporate some of Vince into themselves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Gatts posted:

Vince said the SHIELD remind him of himself, right? Shouldn't that be included in their storyline somehow? It's like they are unofficially endorsed by the CEO in this case or should incorporate some of Vince into themselves.

Eh, I think the only reason Vince said that was because HHH said he wanted Shield punished. The comment wasn't about The Shield, it was just a small part of the ever-building McMahon Family Drama Summmertime Spectacular

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

Can't wait for the Shield to strut to the ring then tear both quads.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shield coming out to No Chance would be the greatest moment in wrestling history.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Was NJPW consistently the biggest promotion in Japan since it's foundation? Was there any point where you could consider AJPW more popular?

NOAH was #1 in Japan during Kobashi's title reign up until he got cancer. In the 90s there were points where AJPW was arguably #1, but I feel like there was always an argument for New Japan. Maybe in the 80s it was more clear cut, I think AJPW switched to all clean finishes first and saw its business jump because of it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like the endgame of a successful heel stable isn't necessarily discord, but branching off. Let's say all three decide to go their separate ways and recruit a tag team each. Now you have three cool stables, with three clear leaders. Not to spread them out and overload them all like the NWO did, but to have them independently go toward their own goals, with backup. One might turn face, one might go tweener and attack everyone, one might stay heel, whatever. But once you reach the top as a stable, splitting off into subfactions is another method of success if you handle it right and they don't cross each other's paths. Then you can always do a reunion whenever it suits the team.

Of course this would've worked better when there were three brands, but eh what can you do.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I feel like The Shield are going to be a big part of the upcoming Feuding McMahons angle so that seems like a great place to make everybody here hate them and wish they would all go away.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, dollars to donuts they become Vince's attack dogs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oldpainless posted:

The tron caught on fire 30 mins before a Raw in Cincinnati once and since then they've had less pyro, though I think less pyro was in the equation anyway.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

oldpainless posted:

They lit a part of the post-1000th RAW set on fire last year during a pyro test. This happened a few hours before broadcast, if I recall.

Yeah, there is a lot less pyro nowadays because WWE has really been cutting back on costs when it comes to stages and production. The switch to the HD stage in 2008 was the start and now we're at the point where even PPV sets are a cleverly rearranged mix of LED screens and lights from that HD stage.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like the endgame of a successful heel stable isn't necessarily discord, but branching off. Let's say all three decide to go their separate ways and recruit a tag team each. Now you have three cool stables, with three clear leaders. Not to spread them out and overload them all like the NWO did, but to have them independently go toward their own goals, with backup. One might turn face, one might go tweener and attack everyone, one might stay heel, whatever. But once you reach the top as a stable, splitting off into subfactions is another method of success if you handle it right and they don't cross each other's paths. Then you can always do a reunion whenever it suits the team.

Of course this would've worked better when there were three brands, but eh what can you do.

I think your notion has its merits, but it's good to remember that ROH did this with GenNext and it was basically poo poo. It would have been poo poo even if Aries hadn't gone away.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

FakePoet posted:

Based on the general response to their recent match(es), and given how odd it seems that putting guys like Jericho and Punk together wouldn't guarantee a great match, are there any other notable matches between guys deemed great that just didn't click?

I guess an easier way to ask would be: what are some of the best examples where the component parts would lead any reasonable observer to expect greatness, but fell woefully short, for whatever reason?

It was a hardcore wrestling fan's dream, but the few matches Sabu and Cactus Jack had definitely didn't live up to the hype... Even Foley admits they didn't live up to expectations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

UndergroundHero posted:

It was a hardcore wrestling fan's dream, but the few matches Sabu and Cactus Jack had definitely didn't live up to the hype... Even Foley admits they didn't live up to expectations.

Sabu having a bad match? Shocker, I know.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As a young teenager, Sabu was fired from his summertime job of mowing neighborhood lawns because he missed too many spots.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like the endgame of a successful heel stable isn't necessarily discord, but branching off. Let's say all three decide to go their separate ways and recruit a tag team each. Now you have three cool stables, with three clear leaders.

The original NOD with Faarooq, Crush, and Savio Vega did this and all 3 resulting factions all sucked.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Generation Next did the same, with the same sucky result. Well thats unfair I guess as the NRC were awesome, and the vulture squad had the dual handicap of being booked as an after thought and having jigsaw as a member.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

The original NOD with Faarooq, Crush, and Savio Vega did this and all 3 resulting factions all sucked.

Somewhat related question: why does the WWE seem to shy away from saying "Nation of Domination", choosing to go with "The Nation"? I think I noticed this in the last video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Because when Rock took it over they shortened it to The Nation. It's also less unwieldy.