Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm getting sick of this CRF450R. When I'm able to afford it I'm going to upgrade to a KTM 300 xc or xc-w. Cheaper maintenance and I ride woods mostly anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Got a buddy with one that is p much always bitching about how he thinks the valves need adjusting and it's fixing to blow up. What I would give to see his RAGE KICK when it wouldn't start one time at the beginning of an Enduro. Not that no one ever has had issues with starting anything but if you knew the guy, yeah would have been effin LOL to have on vid. I haven't ridden one but pretty sure you'll probably dig the 300's.

For content, some pics of a benefit race I took this weekend.

BBQ vendors need to be at every race ever. Ever.

Like a boss.

Brap.

Awards time.

Like I said. BBQ at every race please kthx. /fin

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Ramsus posted:

I'm getting sick of this CRF450R. When I'm able to afford it I'm going to upgrade to a KTM 300 xc or xc-w. Cheaper maintenance and I ride woods mostly anyways.

I'm in the same boat as you... My yz450 is a beast of a bike but I mainly stick to woods and trails. Doesn't hurt
I've been drooling over KTM smokers ever since I started riding dirt.

...anyone in iowa want a good deal on a nice low hours yz450? Haha

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I called a local yamaha/kawasaki/ktm dealership. They will sell a brand new yfz450 for 6k out the door as advertised on their website. When I called I asked what kind of deals they have on the KTM 300 xc and xc-w. They don't even carry the xc-w in stock and they want $8400 out the door for an XC.

Another option is you can pick up a new yz250 two stroke for $5400, but then you'd have to sink a bunch of money into it to make it comparable in the woods with a different flywheel etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Silver posted:

Like a boss.

Awesome. Tell me that person rode like a boss as well.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/209/0/features.aspx

2014 YZ450f details have been released. It looks interesting, complete with wacky number nine shaped pipe.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 12, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The yz250f finally has fuel injection. Here's hoping for a new wr250 in the future

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

needknees posted:

...anyone in iowa want a good deal on a nice low hours yz450? Haha

What part of Iowa, talking with some buddies right now aobut maybe doing the Bartlett Enduro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Awesome. Tell me that person rode like a boss as well.

Nah, was a kid, but for a kid, definitely rode like a boss. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Silver posted:

What part of Iowa, talking with some buddies right now aobut maybe doing the Bartlett Enduro.

Central Iowa, looks like Bartlett is just south of Omaha? That's only a 2.5hr drive for me, not too bad. What weekend is the race? I've never done an enduro before but definitely want to get one or two under my belt this year. I have a buddy who wants to get started in racing as well.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The girlfriend and I are heading out to take a look at a 98 KDX200 for her. She currently has a trx450r and would like to get into dirt bikes.

It looks pretty sweet and is only $1000.

Edit: Found another one around the same price which was ridden by ninja turtles.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 13, 2013

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The purple shrouded one ended up being a big piece of poo poo. It looked way better in the picture. It had an oil leak at the front sprocket, a broken off front brake lever and random screw and bolts placed where the originals were lost. It's not a lost cause, but the lowest he'd go was $950. It rode alright and started right up, but the price was simply to high for the work it needed.

The other one checked out okay. It had an oil leak at the front of the engine, but it ran smoother and pulled harder than the former bike. He wouldn't dip below $1000, which I wasn't too excited about since he didn't have the title. I called the local police and had them run the VIN which came up with nothing, so I'm not sure how much that matters.

Anyways, no luck so far. We are still looking and and might make another offer on the one lacking a title if the guy can't sell it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
For bikes of that vintage I wouldn't expect any bike to have a title. If they do that's a plus I suppose. Most people don't care about it since they never register them on the road thus they don't feel they need a title. It's also probably been owned by some less than intelligent people that misplaced it way back when and are too lazy to get it replaced. Calling the police is really your only choice. If they're willing to run the VIN and confirm it's not stolen I'd accept that. Make sure you write up a good bill of sale in case the seller turns out to be insane.

If the oil was leaking at the base gasket or something that'd be a relatively simple fix if you decide to replace the piston. Closer inspection might provide the location of the leak.

I'd definitely recommend getting some kind of cover for those forks. They look very susceptible to getting smashed with tree branches and coated in mud. That'll wreak havoc on the seals.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Hrm... Decision time. Found a new 250xc-w for a great price (nearly 2k cheaper than the 300). If I am remembering correctly aren't those two bikes identical other than the cylinder and piston? Same frame, trans, gearing, etc that's quite tempting. I'm sure the 250 is more than enough bike but if its a little lacking a jug and piston swap would be relatively cheap and far less than the bump up to the 300s cost.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^^I think I read that one of the main differences is that you can really lug the 300 along more so like a 4 stroke than you can with the 250. Basically you can be in a higher gear and get away with it.

Picking this one up tomorrow. Screw that other leaky no title POS.

1. Race Tech Gold Valves, new heavier fork springs, new fork boots, new fork oil.
2. Renthal bars, new grips.
3. New brake pads and fluid.
4. New Excel rims and spokes, new wheel bearings, new Michelin tires with heavy tubes.
5. RB Designs rebuilt and modified carburetor, Boyesen reeds
6. New FMF Gnarly pipe with carbon guard, new FMF Turbocore 2 silencer.
7. New RX chain, new front and rear sprockets.
8. New clutch plates.
9. New Wiseco piston. KIPS cleaned and functioning flawlessly.

Supposedly 20 hours on these mods.

The only downside to this one is that we'll have to put the stock springs back in so it rides properly for her weight, but that's pretty easy.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 15, 2013

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
ohhhhhhhhhh that is a nice KDX, how much?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
$1500

Edit: Trip was successful. It was a lovely nearly 8 hour drive round trip, but the bike was worth it.

Also that area of the Puget Sound just northwest of Olympia is a yuppy hell hole. I wanted to take my daughter and my dogs to the shore line, but everything is private property. There was only a couple pay-to-play type areas with strict rules.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Decided to give the yz a second chance and attempt to make it more woods friendly. Have a gytr heavy flywheel on the way, considering slightly lower gearing (hoping the heavy flywheel will give it enough inertia to lug 3rd better, if it doesn't I'll throws a bigger rear sproket on). Also thinking about a throttle tube with a mellow cam. Couple hundred bucks < a new KTM :v:

Anyone use the Tubliss system? Looks badass, getting some new tires so now would be the time to make the switch.

BTW local dealer started carrying beta and had one of their 300s on display. Looked awesome.

needknees fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 19, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

No tubliss but moose bibs are magic and will make you faster

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Got the crf450r going again. Hoping to get out on it sometime this week.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Today I learned why you go through unfamiliar tall grass veeeeeeeery slowly. Thank god there was a rock to jam up my front tire or I might have gone down a 6 foot vertical embankment into a stream, I got excited because there was a relatively clear patch just ahead. Won't make that mistake again. Also, surmounting logs in wet dirt sucks! Spinny rear tire city.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
First dirt ride of the season!

Tahuya State Forest. Good times! Anybody else in the Seattle area?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Blaise posted:

when did you get to the Seattle area?

I ride Tahuya all the time

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just got one of these Leatt GPX Trail Neck braces from a guy on craigslist for $75 today.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Leatt-GPX-Trail-Neck-Brace

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
The flywheel kit for my 450 came in... Looks to be a standard flywheel with a heavily weighted sleeve tig welded on. I'll post some pics when I tear into it. Very interested to see how this makes the bike feel!

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm considering a 13 oz flywheel weight. Seems like it'd really help out a lot.

Going to sand lake tomorrow to teach the girlfriend how to ride her kdx200 on the beach. I put the paddle on the 450. Hope it doesn't rain.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Found out what heat exhaustion feels like, whoo! Also did pretty much what you're not supposed to do when you get it as well.

Race started a bit late, it was 90+ and high humidity with zero wind really. So around a 12:15 or 12:30 start time. This was the roughest track we've done yet as well, all single track with a lot of rocks. I enjoyed the course but it made for some huge bottle necks. I probably should have just skipped racing as watching the video I'm not riding like I ride at all, super newb spode horrible riding. There's one point in the video that I should have blasted by 2 guys that were stopped but I just sit there like a dummy and wait for them to get going with a wide open line. Also was yeah, just not riding right at all. With the heat, being stopped while bottle necks were cleared out, and just riding like poo poo, after one uphill with a switchback in it that I had to lug it through some trees I ended up getting sick to my stomach and dizzy. So I stop to take a break. My mistake here was sitting down. I sat down in some shade and just commenced to stew in the 90 degree heat as there wasn't any wind at all. If I got up I got super dizzy.

Had many people check on me and after a bit I was like "OK yeah, gonna need some help here gently caress this send someone with a 4 wheeler and they can truss me up like a deer on the front because I absolutely do not give a poo poo at this point". After awhile of sitting it out and going "Sweet tits I'm just gonna die out here" the owner of the property who was running the trail helping guys out of tight spots and looking for people like me came by. I told him I was wasted and needed help and he bails to go get help and comes back in roughly 5 minutes. "If you can get on your bike and ride I can get us to a field that will take us to the road and back to the truck". Good lord that was an amazing amount of effort to just get up and put on camel back and chest protector and throw a leg over. I did it though and after 5 minutes of air moving I felt 90% better. Got back to the truck and my bro that knew I was having issues with the heat promptly grabbed my bike and got it hooked up on my truck and told me to go jump in his truck and there was a gallon of water in the passenger seat and air con was going full blast. It's good to have bros.

Anyhow, my mistakes as far as heat exhaustion goes were 1. Sitting down. I should have stopped and taken a break but I shouldn't have sat down, should have poured water on my head and shoulders and kept going. 2. Goggles. Yes it's dangerous to ride without them so maybe some safety glasses in the tail bag for safety but keeping the goggles on those totally encapsulates your head, I rode back to the truck without goggles and made a huge difference for air flow. 3. Once I had sat down and noticed there was no wind, I should have made myself get back up and get moving, get some air flow. So, learning limits and how to deal with them when they happen. Also if you get overheated like I did the points you want to put cool water on are your wrists, back of neck and shoulders, and under your arm pits. Learned that too, after the fact. The race itself was brutal for everyone. One guy who didn't finish said he went home and had a 101 temperature. Multiple others didn't finish due to the heat as well. It was brutal.

So anywho, after that big mass of words have some vids and pictures.

I petition now that a BBQ truck be at every race from here out because after a race, this is amazing...

This is my video of the race, with annotations on what all I messed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nvhg11rZ2Y

The previous day was pretty rad though as we were setting up a course for the minibike beer chug race a friend is throwing this weekend. Here are some of the mishaps from that...

This bike, the XR100 of a buddies of mine. I ended up looping it out putting into my truck this morning, then Alan does this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORLGdTYXUk

Then this is a comp from what I got off the go pro. The part in the middle where it goes under water is where I was testing the water proof function and tossing it into the pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_BWLSIroY

Anyhow, fun stuff for sure. :cheers:

edit:

needknees posted:

Central Iowa, looks like Bartlett is just south of Omaha? That's only a 2.5hr drive for me, not too bad. What weekend is the race? I've never done an enduro before but definitely want to get one or two under my belt this year. I have a buddy who wants to get started in racing as well.

Weekend of the race is Oct. 6th. Buddy who was there just a bit a go says the riding is awesome out that way.

Silver fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 23, 2013

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^^Did you run out of water in your camel pack? Do you think you'd have been okay if you would have hydrated more, or was it just too drat hot out? I used to have to work in the engine room of a ship in 110 degree weather, and people would fall out if they didn't consume obscene amounts of water. But as long as we drank more than we thought we needed, we were okay.

Rode the 450 Saturday. Still having issues with it.

I'm looking at a kx250 that's set up for the woods and a ktm 300mxc probably later this week. I'm hoping to replace my 450.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 24, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Silver posted:

Weekend of the race is Oct. 6th. Buddy who was there just a bit a go says the riding is awesome out that way.

Right now that weekend looks free for me... Tentatively planning on it! Do you normally camp out there or is it a generally a ride and gtfo type of thing?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

^^^Did you run out of water in your camel pack? Do you think you'd have been okay if you would have hydrated more, or was it just too drat hot out? I used to have to work in the engine room of a ship in 110 degree weather, and people would fall out if they didn't consume obscene amounts of water. But as long as we drank more than we thought we needed, we were okay.

Rode the 450 Saturday. Still having issues with it.

I'm looking at a kx250 that's set up for the woods and a ktm 300mxc probably later this week. I'm hoping to replace my 450.

Yeup, made sure to hydrate for a few days before race and drank water before race and had plenty in my camel back as well as a buddy toss me his waist camel back. It was just super hot and super humid with zero wind. I wasn't the only one getting sick to my stomach/heat exhaustion either. Just crazy hot out. I was just the only one that didn't finish a loop and sat on the side of the trail lol.

Have a buddy that is finally selling his 450 to drop down to 250. Which will just give him something new to bitch about but hopefully not for a bit.

needknees posted:

Right now that weekend looks free for me... Tentatively planning on it! Do you normally camp out there or is it a generally a ride and gtfo type of thing?

I think they'd allow camping I know all the races here do. I've never been before so no idea. My buddy has and I think they stayed in his trailer. I'm hoping he'll have a toyhauler by then and we can do it up in style.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Silver posted:

Have a buddy that is finally selling his 450 to drop down to 250. Which will just give him something new to bitch about but hopefully not for a bit.

I don't really consider it a drop since it's a 2 stroke.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Blaise posted:

I live north of Seattle. Your season looks a little different than mine :) I usually get my dirt riding in before spring hits; don't think I've rode in >50f heat.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Ramsus posted:

I don't really consider it a drop since it's a 2 stroke.

Now now, don't get your "I ride a big bike" panties in a twist :lol: It's the bike not the rider :) I mean in CC's, weight, and all that. I've ridden one of the FI KTM250F's that is every bit as fast as my 200, it's crazy, but that's straight line, it feels luggy and heavy in the woods. Also rode a KTM500 2 weekends ago and that thing is ung heavy and weird. If you ain't mixin gas you ain't haulin asssssss. amirite?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Haha, I know what you mean, but a 250 2 stroke motocross bike is way harder to ride than a crf450r. The crf you can lug around all over and the power delivery is very smooth.

James Stewart's commentary at the end of this video is spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXIIilgW3Dc

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
True that. Try starting out on one lol, completely different learning curve for sure. I still dig the 2 stroke though and if I go new bike I'll either go Beta250RR or KTM250XC. Was talking with a buddy of mine who's been into dirt bikes for years and years and told him a couple of people told me it would be a good beginners bike, his reply "They lied". Definitely a different beast for sure. Other buddy with the KTM500 hates it because he has to use brakes instead of engine braking.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I started out on my friends 98 CR250. I blame that for ruining dirt bikes for me for years. It was impossible to trail ride.

When I was able to afford something, I ended up going with a four wheeler. I wasted a lot of years riding those things. They're pretty boring in comparison.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I finally removed everything EXC from my new 350 and had the suspension handled by Works Enduro Rider. Still wish I lowered the rear shock 3/4" but I will just have to get used to the seat height of new bikes in tight stuff. The bike still feels really heavy coming from a TM EN250 and CR-AFs but a lighter battery and exhaust seemed to solve a lot of the high positioned weight issues that annoyed me.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I see a lot of people saying that when switching to four strokes. It seems four strokes are more top heavy and some people mention a "greater rotational mass" characteristic of the four stroke engines that contributes somehow.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
My crf450r is going up for sale. Test rode a guys 03 kx250 set up for woods today. The guy is my same height and weight so the bike fits me perfectly.

description from the ad:
"No, it's not a factory-special trail version. I had to do that myself.
Suspension reworked by SigTech Performance for 200 lb. rider, SFB 11oz. flywheel weight, kickstand added, Renthal chain & sprockets (geared down slightly from stock)
Scott's steering stabilizer with Fastway stabilizer mount and hand guards, Renthal Fatbars: taller version (RC bend, I think) for more comfortable riding position standing (I'm 5'10")
Clark 3.1 gallon fuel tank, skid plate (can't remember the brand name), ProCircuit pipe with Type 296 spark arrestor.
TrailTech Endurance odometer/trip computer, Moose lighting coil, TrailTech headlamp, tail light.
Battery under the seat with separate switch to power bar-mount HID lamp. Mount shown in photo, lamp included, just not with bike when I took pictures.
I have a spare front number plate and rear fender, without lights, for racing or any other time you might want to minimize breakable parts."

Even with the fly wheel weight the bike has tons of snap.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
gently caress I can't even imagine how fun that thing is in the woods. My KX250 with exhaust only was awesome in the woods. Plenty of midrange to get you around. I bet the flywheel weight and larger tank make that thing a beast in the forest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I couldn't believe how hard it pulled. I got a flash of adrenaline during the test ride when I got on the gas like I'd normally do on the 450. Things light and revs fast as hell even with the flywheel weight! I'm pretty excited.