Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
How many hours are you working a week? Your income seems ridiculously low even at minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Foolicing posted:

"limbo" and "waiting till something comes up" basically means your gonna spend the next 20 years balding and pushing carts badly while making GBS threads out fanficiton or whatever you think qualifies as writing.

He hasn't even done that apparently.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

in_cahoots posted:

How many hours are you working a week? Your income seems ridiculously low even at minimum wage.
Roughly 25. That sizes up to about $800 a month. I say 720 'cause I find lowballing figures works better in my favor.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 26, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Why aren't you still looking for a second job? You want to move out on a 25 hour a week max minimum wage job? Jesus Christ dude.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
How much money do you have in savings? Please reply with a series of digits following the " $ " character. No words to qualify or 'explain.' Thanks :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

And you are turning down extra shifts?! What the hell. I don't even know.

How old are you again? My 17 year old brother worked 30 a week at McDonalds during his Grade 12 year.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MassaShowtime posted:

Why aren't you still looking for a second job? You want to move out on a 25 hour a week max minimum wage job? Jesus Christ dude.
My shifts are variable and I have no set schedule so taking a second job would mean a lot of conflict between the two.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Are you for real?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
You need a second job, Benny. You need a second job. Talk to your manager about the possibility of getting your schedule nailed down to certain days.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Benny the Snake posted:

My shifts are variable and I have no set schedule so taking a second job would mean a lot of conflict between the two.

You are literally retarded.

Offense intended.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Accretionist posted:

You need a second job, Benny. You need a second job. Talk to your manager about the possibility of getting your schedule nailed down to certain days.
And now that I take a cold look at my situation I realize that I'm making excuses and dragging my feet. I'm calling my manager tomorrow and talking to her about getting regular hours so I can move on to getting a second job. A part of me wants to wait until after the 90 day probation ends so that I can have some kind of security but heck what do I have to lose?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

superv0zz posted:

You are literally retarded.

Offense intended.
It could be from his upbringing, something he could potentially shake out.

I used to have a roommate who was not smart, about whom another once asked if I thought was a little retarded; he certainly did. His thoughts and reasoning were never complicated. His errors were never complicated either. I think to think he'd literally just talk inside his head. This guy's background was deeply anti-intellectual: A family of devoutly Republican christian fundamentalists.

However, I could get him to follow the bouncing ball on my organic chemistry and neurobiology coursework. I knew him reasonably well and could ask him diagnostic questions mid-way that he'd actually get right. I knew what images to marry concepts up to to keep his interest. His brain was 100% A-Okay. But he never treated 'thinking' as a serious thing.

Stay out at the bar until 2AM? If he thought about it, he'd realize that was stupid. But he'd do it anyways and just not think about. Then he'd be late the next day and lose his job. I'm aware of that exact scenario (the bar closed at 2) playing out four times - each job paying less than the last. He literally eschewed any thinking that didn't feel good. Just like he'd ignore any information that contradicted his cultural notions of what the world is and how it worked, he also ignored thinking about how what he felt like doing was pretty god damned stupid.

(→) He learned some very unfortunate cognitive behaviors growing up. (←)

Like another guy I know. I've got a childhood friend whose mother infantilized the poo poo out of him. He was fine until his late teens when what his mother drove into him stopped being age-appropriate. Past that, he'd sort of oscillate between operating at a mostly normal level and at a, uh, diminished level. And he never could tell; he was literally raised to never develop any metacognitive ability. In the end, he stopped going back and forth. He's in a diminished state all the time now. He ended up isolated with his parents. He's even on track to be a 30 year old virgin (I keep trying to talk him into getting an account). And depending on his speech and thinking when he calls (I feel bad for the guy), I can tell whether he's at home or out, and if he is out, whether he's spent a long time out and whether he's coming or going from his parents house.

And the biggest thing I've noticed between the two is the same lovely bit of parenting: Both were raised to not look to one's thoughts for guidance.

The first guy was taught to follow his family's culture: their politics and religion. When reality conflicts, gently caress it - not important. He was taught that thinking is effete and also that being effete is bad. They watched lots of TV and took pride in being poor and religious rednecks. For the second, a mother pushing her child in stroller for a couple decades is an appropriate metaphor. His mother is insane.

I've now spent most an episode of Law and Order writing this post (L&O: Criminal Intent - It's more theatrical and it owns). I've tried to paint a picture of two men whose weak minds are a direct result of their upbringing. I am convinced that poor intellectual health is as much a thing as poor emotional health.

The first guy needs to stop being intellectually shut down all the same. I stopped being emotionally shut down all the time, :shrug:. The second guy needs to move out of his mother's house and hire a team of psychologists to help him with his learned helplessness. The guy lets his anxieties dictate what he takes seriously and his thinking starts from there. Whether he'd do that or not was one of the many, many things I'm referring to when I said he'd 'oscillate' between normal and dumb. Now he does it all the time and it's super depressing.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

Roughly 25. That sizes up to about $800 a month. I say 720 'cause I find lowballing figures works better in my favor.

25 hours a week on $8 an hour works out to $866 a month. With the 3% tax that's $840 a month.

Why are you turning down evening work / not pushing for more hours / loving over colleagues when you are only working just over half a standard working week? How can you not find time to write on a 25 hour week with no significant other, kids, or any other responsibilities? Are you actively seeking proper employment now?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Masonity posted:

25 hours a week on $8 an hour works out to $866 a month. With the 3% tax that's $840 a month.

Why are you turning down evening work / not pushing for more hours / loving over colleagues when you are only working just over half a standard working week? How can you not find time to write on a 25 hour week with no significant other, kids, or any other responsibilities? Are you actively seeking proper employment now?

The poor baby posted just 2 pages ago how 25 hours of pushing carts leaves him so exhausted that he has no time or energy to do much of anything, please don't be so hard on him.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
I would just like to say that when Benny means "variable" shifts, at Target this means you are unlikely to get the same shifts ever in two weeks in a row. I worked for them for a year and had an app that tracked my shifts on a calendar. In a year I had 54 unique shifts. Every single week I had a shift schedule time that was never used again. So it can be a pain to schedule anything, much less a second job.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Khisareth posted:

I would just like to say that when Benny means "variable" shifts, at Target this means you are unlikely to get the same shifts ever in two weeks in a row. I worked for them for a year and had an app that tracked my shifts on a calendar. In a year I had 54 unique shifts. Every single week I had a shift schedule time that was never used again. So it can be a pain to schedule anything, much less a second job.

Agreed. I worked retail for two years and outside of 'you will definitely work at least 7 - 11am Saturday and Sunday' I had no way of predicting my shifts, and I was only told a week in advance what they would be. Plus, even that doesn't account for when you turn up for your scheduled shift and they beg you to stay an extra five hours after that.

I had weeks when I worked 20 hours (which was my contract) and weeks where I worked way more than double that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Khisareth posted:

If Benny can find another part-time job with more stable shifts, then he can just inform whoever is responsible for shifts at Target about those days that he isn't available. Most minimum wage jobs employ a lot of students, so working around fixed schedules is a pretty common thing.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Benny could be trying to find freelance writing work around his Target schedule.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

That already went tits up

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
My husband's mother works at Target and after 20+ years she still can't get a set schedule. Her hours don't even stay the same. One day she'll work a day shift and the next she'll be on the all night stock shift. Maybe you're better off trying to write than find a second job.

Corn Thongs posted:

Don't move out Benny, you're just gonna pull a Captain Walker and freak out and make your roommate call your mom to take you home.

Is that what happened to him? I kinda quit following the thread and assumed he was doing ok.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

And now that I take a cold look at my situation I realize that I'm making excuses and dragging my feet. I'm calling my manager tomorrow and talking to her about getting regular hours so I can move on to getting a second job. A part of me wants to wait until after the 90 day probation ends so that I can have some kind of security but heck what do I have to lose?

Your job unless you don't amazingly gently caress it up. So what are you going to say exactly? I'll help, you should frame it in the fact that you want to work more, be it at target or elsewhere. Not that your pissed at their terrible ineffcient scheduling system. Indicate you are highly motivated (lol) to earn a living and need to find additional income. Can I have more hours here? Or can we work on a finding some set of days where I'm able to work elsewhere? (e.g. Mon-Wed, that way they still have flexibility within your target hours)

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Darth123123 posted:

Indicate you are highly motivated (lol)

It's a shame I can't empty quote this for a page and a half.

Instead, I'm just going to reiterate the "get therapy" thing. You're not going to be able to hack much of anything without it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Khisareth posted:

You said it better than I could. Thanks, good sir! :tipshat:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
It's too bad that your english degree is so undeserved. You could easily make some decent scratch tutoring for SATs or at Community College.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

juche mane posted:

It's too bad that your english degree is so undeserved.

That's actually a mark in his favor, tutor people on how to fake it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Looks like you got an out! Way to go Benny!

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Benny the Snake posted:

EDIT: and I don't care how y'all take my story, so long as I don't get probated/banned or redtaged. I'm doing my best not to screw up on these fine forums myself.

Dude, "redtaging" you would be spending money on a deadbeat, and nobody wants to throw money away. I do notice you've had time, over the length of this saga, to post at least one social justice thread. Maybe you should print your posts out and try to get that published?

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
You work 25 hours a week and turned down a shift.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.

What the gently caress, Benny? I understand that it's hard to get set hours at certain places, but for gently caress's sake, MAKE IT KNOWN THAT YOU WANT MORE HOURS. Tell them you'll come in on weekends, do night shift, any time someone calls out to call you first, etc. SOMETHING.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

So look for a better job you loving dummy.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
What do you actually want to do in life? I can't believe that a college graduate would be content working part-time at a Target and living in his overbearing mother's house. The fact that you've spent months in this situation shows that you don't really care about making something of yourself- for most people a part-time job would just be a stepping stone to something greater. What do you even do for the other 143 hours in the week? If you'd rather waste your life sitting on your rear end and waiting for opportunities to come to you, that's fine. But at this point the only thing holding you back is laziness and a lack of motivation.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
There was a homeless dude in Ann Arbor that used to hang out by the old Borders downtown. He would just sit there reading a book, with a sign that said "Homeless - please support my reading habit."

Benny, that dude seemed pretty happy. And he didn't have to worry about his mother or pushing carts. Or E/N jumping down his throat.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009
What do you do all day? Really, give us a breakdown.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I'm curious about this as well.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

almightyerin posted:

Is that what happened to him? I kinda quit following the thread and assumed he was doing ok.

Yeah. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529571&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post414739188

Captain Walker posted:

E. VR mission 18. No seriously. I have a major problem with anger management but it's never been so bad before that I couldn't stop myself from throwing the controller at the TV. And then kicking a hole in the wall when I discovered that TVs break when you throw poo poo at them. And then falling to the floor and weeping for a moment or two. Inexplicably, the controller was fine.

He lasted a week. He got a new job but he still hasn't faced reality about being, you know, autistic.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

At 25 hours a week I would be figuring out how to get closer to 40 then start looking for a new job. 25 hours is like what people do when they are in school. not already graduated.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

cucurbit posted:

What do you do all day? Really, give us a breakdown.

If it's anything like the breakdowns he gave us when he was jobhunting it's going to be made-up bullshit.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Jesus christ benny you are pathetic. I work 40-50 hours a week juggling multiple responsibilities. You know when my next day off is? Not for another two weeks. I work every day, getting up at 5 in the morning for a two hour bus/train commute and it's loving exhausting. Despite this, I still manage to have a social life and am saving money like no one's business even with my expenses. What the gently caress is your excuse?

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Benny, I know you keep stating that you have a "good idea" for a book and haven't written lately.

You can't stop writing, no matter what, if that is your eventual goal. No matter how many hours you work or travel or anything, you need to be writing every day.

Otherwise two things will happen:

1. You will get out of the practice of writing and thus it will seem more of a hurdle to get back into doing it which, to be blunt, combined with your lack of work ethic means you won't ever get around to it. You have to make it a habit.

2. Writing is a skill that needs to be up kept and improved constantly. Sure, there are horrible writers out there who got lucky with a best seller, but they are outliers among outliers.

Writing and being successful at it takes more than just writing every day. It takes researching and self marketing too. This is the hardest part if you are stuck in a cycle of self sabotage (which it seems you always are) because the only thing you have to do to gently caress it up is not do anything.

Please don't stop writing because it seems that is your passion and it is possible to lose sight of that very easily. Even if it is for an hour a day, just write; it doesn't have to be your focus right now but you don't want to ignore it either.

Grandpas a Racist
Mar 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Benny did you buy your new avatar or did someone else purchase it for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I don't think you should get a second job, but make it clear you're willing to pick up shifts and work more (oh and actually follow through with it). Hell, if you're willing to tolerate and be respectful while living with your family, stay home and save up for a car. I don't know how it is in the states but buying a new car was cheaper to insure and more economical than buying a used for me. Goons are quick to harp for not doing exactly as they think is right, but you really seem to lack motivation and concentration- you won't ever truly succeed until you dedicate the self discipline and lifestyle changes required to get yourself up off the ground.
Also, don't be so bitter about family gatherings. You never know what's going to happen and ten years from now you could be thinking about how badly you wished you appreciated all that.

• Locked thread