Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Kalenden posted:

I have a request for a suggestion for Recipe Management software or a website. It has to to be able to import recipes from websites, able to have some form of organization (such that recipes containing X can easily be found), able to be used from multiple computers by multiple people and also not to be too hard to do. Also for free if possible.

It's for easily exchanging and organizing recipes between my mom and myself. We get a lot of inspiration from online recipes and currently use Google Docs with links to the recipes. That has some downsides, it is hard to quickly find recipes containing X or Z and is dependent on the recipes staying online. It is a great and fast way to share something though.

So any suggestions?

I use pepperplate. I'm not sure if there's any good sharing, but it can import recipes from the web and store them on a server somewhere. They have a few sites that are preset and only require one or two presses, but its really easy to import recipes from any old site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

SubG posted:

When cilantro goes to seed what you have is coriander. Collect the seeds and make some motherfucking garam masala or something.

Edit: The DYI gardening thread is here.

Thank you. Thank you. I had no idea Cilantro was Coriander. Mind slightly blown.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

I really like Evernote, and apparently they have a cooking / food-specific version called Evernote Food (though I haven't tried that personally). There's also a browser extension called Evernote Web Clipper that grabs articles from websites. Tags and notebooks keep my stuff organized, and you can search within Evernote to find stuff as well. I'm a fan. Only downside is that, while you can share notebooks with the free version of evernote, you can only allow other people to edit those shared notebooks with evernote premium, which is a paid service.

Thanks, this is pretty much perfect!
Do you think account sharing would be a problem? If I just share an account with my mother we could both from different devices edit and modify to our hearts desire correct?

@Jyrraeth, thanks for the suggestion. If Evernote doesn't pan out, I'll be certain to try your suggestion.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kalenden posted:

I have a request for a suggestion for Recipe Management software or a website. It has to to be able to import recipes from websites, able to have some form of organization (such that recipes containing X can easily be found), able to be used from multiple computers by multiple people and also not to be too hard to do. Also for free if possible.

It's for easily exchanging and organizing recipes between my mom and myself. We get a lot of inspiration from online recipes and currently use Google Docs with links to the recipes. That has some downsides, it is hard to quickly find recipes containing X or Z and is dependent on the recipes staying online. It is a great and fast way to share something though.

So any suggestions?

It's not free, but I use Paprika. It's available on iOS and MacOS and possibly Windows. I only use the iOS version, and it rules. It can automagically import from most recipe websites, has a shopping list feature, and does cloud syncing across devices. I think it's goon created too. I'm a big fan.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Very Strange Things posted:

Thank you. Thank you. I had no idea Cilantro was Coriander. Mind slightly blown.

I've noticed that newer packaging doesn't say this, but I found some old tins of dried cilantro in my mom's attic and they all said "Cilantro - Coriander Leaf" on them. Maybe somewhere along the way the spice companies decided it didn't matter, or something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey if I get Chinese herbs like angelica sinensis (dang gui) and Szechuan lovage root (chuan xiong) at 99 Ranch, am I essentially pumping myself full of mercury and chromium?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Kalenden posted:

Thanks, this is pretty much perfect!
Do you think account sharing would be a problem? If I just share an account with my mother we could both from different devices edit and modify to our hearts desire correct?

@Jyrraeth, thanks for the suggestion. If Evernote doesn't pan out, I'll be certain to try your suggestion.

I think so! I mean, I use it for all sorts of different stuff, but if you're only using it for cooking, sharing an account is a great workaround.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I got a bunch of high-quality cocoa powder while on vacation, and I'd like to do something savory with it. Does anyone know any savory recipes that will really highlight the cocoa powder? I'm fine with finicky or complex recipes - I was thinking that a mole might be delicious, but I'm not sure if I can use cocoa powder or if I need to use actual chocolate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

turing_test posted:

I got a bunch of high-quality cocoa powder while on vacation, and I'd like to do something savory with it. Does anyone know any savory recipes that will really highlight the cocoa powder? I'm fine with finicky or complex recipes - I was thinking that a mole might be delicious, but I'm not sure if I can use cocoa powder or if I need to use actual chocolate.

Why would you eat it when that poo poo's worth a small fortune on the stree- oh, cocoa.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Breaky posted:

Why would you eat it when that poo poo's worth a small fortune on the stree- oh, cocoa.

Apparently that factory is much less fun to visit.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

I've noticed that newer packaging doesn't say this, but I found some old tins of dried cilantro in my mom's attic and they all said "Cilantro - Coriander Leaf" on them. Maybe somewhere along the way the spice companies decided it didn't matter, or something.

Probably to avoid confusion in less cosmopolitan consumers, I see the leaves and seeds both called coriander in other countries

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I thiink I remember "cilantro" being introduced as a marketing thing in the 1980s? I remember planting "coriander" in my garden in order to harvest what I referred to as "coriander leaves".

Note that dill gets by just fine as "dill seed" and "dill weed".

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Probably to avoid confusion in less cosmopolitan consumers, I see the leaves and seeds both called coriander in other countries

Isn't cilantro the Spanish word? I remember reading that in america it's called cilantro because of how often it's used in Mexican cooking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Enter Char posted:

Isn't cilantro the Spanish word? I remember reading that in america it's called cilantro because of how often it's used in Mexican cooking.

That's what I had always heard as well. I only learned it was coriander when I had an irish roommate asking to put it in stew and I only had coriander seeds.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

turing_test posted:

I like to use cocoa powder in my dry rubs, for pork ribs or beef brisket mostly. But that might not highlight the cocoa as much as you want - you can definitely taste it in the final product, but not as a chocolate flavor per se.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I've been doing some experimenting with making candied fruit and as a result have ended up with a lot of different fruit flavored syrups. Does anyone have any cool suggestions on things to do with them? I use a little as pancake syrup but I just don't eat that many.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Add seltzer, make your own sodas. They're also fantastic when you want to add a little sweetness to a marinade or sauce.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Slifter posted:

I've been doing some experimenting with making candied fruit and as a result have ended up with a lot of different fruit flavored syrups. Does anyone have any cool suggestions on things to do with them? I use a little as pancake syrup but I just don't eat that many.

Cocktails. Make flavored gimlets or something.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Slifter posted:

One thing that's simple that I really dig is to use it on hamburgers or to sweeten up veggies for the mentally damaged that don't like the taste of them. I used to have habanero jellies that I thin out and used to glaze a salt-peppered fatty patty. Grill it, and it imparts a sweet (and in that case spicy) flavor to hamburger that fits really well when piled up with fresh onion, tomato, and lettuce. I love meat on its own, but it's a good way to mix things up--especially if it's cheap meat. I even used lovely, pre-formed burgers for a really big cookout and coated them in some jelly, and instead of the usual faces of people contemplating suicide and regret at having to eat bulk pseudo-meat, they were delighted because it was moist and flavorful.

It all depends on the fruit, but you can use the syrup to make a sauce to lightly drizzle on something like brussel sprouts that are commonly hated. That sweetness can negate a lot of the sulfurey taste that turns some people off. That's why they cover everything with cheese.

Something else I've done is to do a super-light drizzle over something like sushi. I only do it when I can't source good ingredients and have to make-do with what I can get at the supermarket. That will make a passable sushi, but a little bit of avocado, a piece of shrimp, and a cucumber with a zig-zag of fruit sauce that soaks into the rice can make a nice little dessert roll.

And if you don't use too many bread-killing preservatives in it, you can always incorporate it into different breads that you want to be sweet. The pancakes themselves can be flavored, which would create a different flavor profile with a pad of butter on top than if you used it as a syrup.

Finally, maybe consider using it to make your own sodas. Some soda water, a little elbow grease (or a machine) and you can have your own custom soda flavors. A delicious way to drink away this problem (especially with a shot or two of liquor).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

It all depends on the fruit, but you can use the syrup to make a sauce to lightly drizzle on something like brussel sprouts that are commonly hated. That sweetness can negate a lot of the sulfurey taste that turns some people off. That's why they cover everything with cheese.

They do?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Right now the flavors I have are rhubarb and orange, each is just a simple syrup that has had the fruits sitting in them, no preservatives right now. I had completely blanked on home made soda, I will definitely try that. I don't drink and like the taste of veggies so I'm probably not going to do much with those, though orange carrots are tempting. Bread is easy enough, probably try a brioche. The thing I've been craving recently is a pavlova, I'm wondering if I could sub out the sugar for syrup.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

You've never seen broccoli, brussel sprouts, or other veggies boiled in butter/salt and swimming in a brick of velveeta ("cheese")? It's an American tradition. Disgusting one at that. Also the go-to for parents that can't cook but want their obese, corn-fed children to eat something green between their McDonald's meals. Back in school, they had something called a "yellow meal" that was served two times a week because it was a favorite. To meet the dietary guidelines for school children, anything not yellow was covered in cheese and butter to make it yellow and thus acceptable to the children.

Slifter posted:

Right now the flavors I have are rhubarb and orange, each is just a simple syrup that has had the fruits sitting in them, no preservatives right now. I had completely blanked on home made soda, I will definitely try that. I don't drink and like the taste of veggies so I'm probably not going to do much with those, though orange carrots are tempting. Bread is easy enough, probably try a brioche. The thing I've been craving recently is a pavlova, I'm wondering if I could sub out the sugar for syrup.

You can't do a straight sub as sugar absorbs moisture and a syrup would add it, but in many things you'd use sugar in, assuming you reduced the moisture elsewhere accordingly, should come out. There's so many variables from the consistency of your syrup, the level of sweetness, etc that would make it hard to say how much moisture to reduce though. You'd have to take a chance and do it by feel, but that's a fun project!

That's what they say it tastes like. I wouldn't be surprised that they overcooked them. There's also the whole genetic thing where certain compounds are grossly bitter to some people, which I don't have, luckily.
VVV

Erik Shawn-Bohner fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 27, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think he means that brussels sprouts don't taste sulfury unless you greatly hosed them up amazingly.

Like boiling the poo poo out of them.

Also he's from wisconsin so he knows all about funeral potatoes and mormon hotdishes.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

RazorBunny posted:

I like to use cocoa powder in my dry rubs, for pork ribs or beef brisket mostly. But that might not highlight the cocoa as much as you want - you can definitely taste it in the final product, but not as a chocolate flavor per se.

My boyfriend reports that all of his cocoa rubs have been unsuccessful - any pro tips? He usually smokes things, so he thinks that the cocoa breaks down in the smoker (or something).

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

wrong thread

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 27, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Realistically, you're not going to get a better way to taste the cocoa than by dissolving it in a fatty liquid with a complementary flavor and sweetening it to offset the bitterness.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Does anyone have any recommendations for basic cookware and a good set of knives (made in US/not china preferred)? I'm looking to get rid of the random pieces I've collected over college and grad school and get something respectable. I don't cook anything terribly complex, and just need a few nice saucepans and etc, along with an adult set of knives. Any tips?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for basic cookware and a good set of knives (made in US/not china preferred)? I'm looking to get rid of the random pieces I've collected over college and grad school and get something respectable. I don't cook anything terribly complex, and just need a few nice saucepans and etc, along with an adult set of knives. Any tips?

Cuisinart multi clad pots and pans. Tojiro ITK or DP knives. </gwc hive mind>

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cuisinart multi clad pots and pans. Tojiro ITK or DP knives. </gwc hive mind>
I was probably just gonna go with All Clad for the cookware, but I'm not entirely sure what I should get. I'll look into the knife recommendation.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

I was probably just gonna go with All Clad for the cookware, but I'm not entirely sure what I should get. I'll look into the knife recommendation.

Get the base level triply series. 14" fry pan. Saucier. 2 qt saucepan. 8 quart pot. This will probably do you pretty well and you can supplement with more items as you see fit. Steep sided sauté would be a good one. 12" fry pan maybe.

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
I figured out the pita problem I had (rolled too thin at the far side), but I got another question.

I'm doing chicken thighs like bar-style hot wings tomorrow. So my method is that I steam them for a little first, broil them, and then roll them in the sauce. The product is as I like and comes out crispy and tasting good texture-wise, but I'm open to more elegant methods. However, I'm not a fan of the "traditional" hot sauce that I've seen listed. It's just butter and Tabasco, add salt to taste. Anyone have a killer recipe for hotwing sauce that improves on that? I'd like something with more heat without as much vinegar, which makes me want to add red pepper flake to the butter as it is melted. I thought of adding a pinch of brown sugar to sweeten it a bit as well. I don't want sugary sweetness, but a hint wouldn't hurt.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

TenementFunster posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

Going off of what Gravity said, get the cuisinart stainless steel set (multi-clad or all-clad depending on how much money you want to spend). Don't buy sets of knives. Buy an 8" chef's knife (Victorinox for $25 on Amazon), a paring knife and MAYBE a bread knife or boning knife.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright here is the result of my chicken:

Didn't make too much cause if something went wrong well at least I didn't waste much. I made the flour blend with paprika, onion powder, pepper, chili powder and chili pepper flakes. I did the egg wash, flour, rest, egg wash and flour. I cooked in two batches (used a small skillet), the lighter batch is my first batch that I wasn't quite confident in cooking and kept flipping constantly. Darker is the second batch that I was much more confident in, figured it took roughly 2 minutes on each side to cook and only flipped once.

So how did it taste? loving awesome, who needs to eat out anymore for some chicken? Brother also loved it, so thats good. I definitely could of like doubled the spices I threw into the flour mix though.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I have a pot luck lunch tomorrow at work and I need suggestions for what I can cook. Please keep in mind that I'm going to have to prepare the night before and I will not be able to reheat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Get the base level triply series. 14" fry pan. Saucier. 2 qt saucepan. 8 quart pot. This will probably do you pretty well and you can supplement with more items as you see fit. Steep sided sauté would be a good one. 12" fry pan maybe.

Gonna second buying a steep sided saute here (I use mine more than most anything else it seems). Also the Victorinox 8" chef knife like Doh004 mentioned (another GWS hivemind pick) a paring knife and a bread knife.

If you don't have it, pick up a steel (:10bux: on amazon usually) and a wood cutting board too.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I have a pot luck lunch tomorrow at work and I need suggestions for what I can cook. Please keep in mind that I'm going to have to prepare the night before and I will not be able to reheat.

If you can't reheat that kinda blows. Deviled eggs are a decent go-to for me but if it's a bbq or picnic setting you could be one of many doing that. Maybe Zaru Soba?

That Works fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 27, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can you make doufuhua with just silken tofu, or do you have to coagulate your own soy milk?

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

This question was inspired by a post in the food picture thread: what is the easiest way to make pork broth? I can't find pork broth or pork broth cubes/powders at the store and I don't want to deal with using pork bones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pork broth cubes do exist. They suck like any stock cubes, but they're out there. You might have to look online. The best thing to use is pig's feet. Scrub them good, boil hard for a few minutes, discard that water and scrub/pick off any brown stuff on the feet (should be able to get it off with a chopstick), then simmer in fresh water for several hours. You don't necessarily need to do the second scrub but if you don't the stock will be kinda brown. If you boil and scrub you'll get the nice kind of pork stock you get with pork ramen.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

walruscat posted:

This question was inspired by a post in the food picture thread: what is the easiest way to make pork broth? I can't find pork broth or pork broth cubes/powders at the store and I don't want to deal with using pork bones.

Asian stores, esp. Japanese or Chinese marts, are often a good choice for finding cubes and powders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Mach420 posted:

Asian stores, esp. Japanese or Chinese marts, are often a good choice for finding cubes and powders.

I have a very large Asian grocery store and I have not seen it. I'll take another look though.

Grand Fromage posted:

Pork broth cubes do exist. They suck like any stock cubes, but they're out there. You might have to look online. The best thing to use is pig's feet. Scrub them good, boil hard for a few minutes, discard that water and scrub/pick off any brown stuff on the feet (should be able to get it off with a chopstick), then simmer in fresh water for several hours. You don't necessarily need to do the second scrub but if you don't the stock will be kinda brown. If you boil and scrub you'll get the nice kind of pork stock you get with pork ramen.

I figured the cubes would be pretty sucky, but I just don't want to deal with boiling myself some broth in my current chicken, though I may do it if I can't find an alternative. How many pig's feet should I use if I want two quarts of broth?