Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Rollersnake posted:

I saw them live at NEARfest 2005—they were really good, though they were out-Italprogged by PFM a couple nights prior.

Felona e Sorona is one of those albums I can't really find fault with but never felt truly passionate about either. I remember liking Contrappunti better, but I couldn't tell you why as I haven't listened to it in a long time.

They were also outshined by Kenso...goddamn that was a great year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still haven't listened to a Kenso album, but their NEARfest set was without question one of the best shows I've ever seen. There were these sublime moments when it just felt like the music was too intricate and beautiful to have been played by mere humans.

Everyone except Knight Area was good that year (and Knight Area were funny-bad, at least), but PFM, Kenso, and Present were on a whole other level.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 24, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Chocobo posted:

I was just recently introduced to Riverside. Goddamn, how did I go so long before finding them? Out of Myself, Rapid Eye Movement and Second Life Syndrome are amazing, there isn't a single skippable track.

Their new album (Shrine of New Generation Slaves) is my second-favorite release of this year. It would be my favorite but Raven also came out this year :allears:

I get a serious Collective Soul from this song and I love it even more because of that.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I caught the Opeth show in Tucson a few days ago, and it was a really really good set. I was a little worried that I would hear the entire Heritage album live yet again, but other than The Devil's Orchard the songs were pretty evenly divided between My Arms Your Hearse through Watershed. They also did a brilliant and hilarious acoustic version of Demon of the Fall.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Robert Fripp, with Toyah Wilcox, in an unexpected venue, 2013.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Sunday All Over The World still rules.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

That is possibly one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Yet at the same time :3:

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I attended to "The Raven that Refused to Sing" live performance on May 18th. It blowed my mind, specially "The Watchmaker", "Luminol" & the encore ("Radioactive Toy"). Makes me really wish for Porcupine Tree to go out touring again :(

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Thanks for this, I hadn't heard of them. I picked up Bilateral and Coal, and I really dig it. The first track on Coal breaks down into some Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi-esque poo poo that just made my goddamned day.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Yggdrassil posted:

I attended to "The Raven that Refused to Sing" live performance on May 18th. It blowed my mind, specially "The Watchmaker", "Luminol" & the encore ("Radioactive Toy"). Makes me really wish for Porcupine Tree to go out touring again :(

Having only discovered PT post-hiatus, I too wish they'd go on a tour. :(

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
This thread has been a treasure trove of stuff I'd never have otherwise listened to. Leprous' albums Bilateral and Coal are among my new favorites, and Weather Systems by Anathema is a good listen.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I'll agree that the new Leprous is fantastic. It has a really weird opener but parts of the vocal melody keep popping up throughout the rest of the album, so I see why it's there after a few listen. Ihsahn sounds possessed on Contaminate Me.

Another band with a recent release that I'm really enjoying is Jolly's The Audio Guide to Happiness - Part 2. A couple of videos: Firewell, Dust Nation Bleak.

I scored a pretty cool concept album out of a $3 bin at a record store the other week: Hero and Heroine by The Strawbs. I'd remembered them as being a band that Rick Wakeman had played keys on, although he is not on this album. Here's the title track, live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuCHawtzZc

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

TheForgotton posted:

I'll agree that the new Leprous is fantastic. It has a really weird opener but parts of the vocal melody keep popping up throughout the rest of the album, so I see why it's there after a few listen. Ihsahn sounds possessed on Contaminate Me.

I actually think Foe might be my current favorite on that album. I think it works perfectly as an opener. Not only is it in God's True Time Signature, but the way it morphs from that sparse opening, to the Devin Townsend-esque chorus, to the a capella ending is amazing. And then the transition to the next track works perfectly.

Such an impressive album. And yeah, Ihsahn's part on Contaminate Me is so cool. Once it gets to that ending part where he's just doing those death rattle things... goosebumps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Scale the Summit leaked (it also comes out in 5 days), and it's incredible so far. I'm not usually much for wanky instrumental stuff, but they've really come into their own.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Since I can't get enough Coal, and have thoroughly listened to the rest of Leprous and Ihsahn's discography, what else can I listen to that's similar (that isn't Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria because I don't like either of them)?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Since I can't get enough Coal, and have thoroughly listened to the rest of Leprous and Ihsahn's discography, what else can I listen to that's similar (that isn't Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria because I don't like either of them)?

Maybe try out The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. I think it's a great album (albeit with some strange production), and it was the first thing that came to mind.

edit: oh man I thought I was in the metal thread. Whatever, it's still awesome.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 7, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Trees and Squids posted:

Maybe try out The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus. I think it's a great album (albeit with some strange production), and it was the first thing that came to mind.

edit: oh man I thought I was in the metal thread. Whatever, it's still awesome.

Yeah there is a bit of each thread spilling over with this Coal album. Good rec though :cheers:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This might not really be what you're looking for, but a couple of bands that are not really THAT similar, but a little anyway, and also from Norway, are White Willow and Gazpacho. The most recent White Willow album, Terminal Twilight, was regarded as a kind of "sister LP" to Bilateral. It's more relaxed and has more old-school prog sounds (mellotron and flute and such), and a female singer. It's pretty awesome.

As for Gazpacho, my favorites from them are Missa Atropos and Tick Tock. Also much more relaxed than Leprous, but very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezS1y3eJTJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Tl5itXDwg

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This might not really be what you're looking for, but a couple of bands that are not really THAT similar, but a little anyway, and also from Norway, are White Willow and Gazpacho. The most recent White Willow album, Terminal Twilight, was regarded as a kind of "sister LP" to Bilateral. It's more relaxed and has more old-school prog sounds (mellotron and flute and such), and a female singer. It's pretty awesome.

As for Gazpacho, my favorites from them are Missa Atropos and Tick Tock. Also much more relaxed than Leprous, but very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezS1y3eJTJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Tl5itXDwg

Cpt. Spring Types, you have good taste. This is basically what I was looking for. I listen to a lot of prog metal / heavier stuff, and am basically looking for a little more of the softer side of Leprous type stuff. I see some Vangelis in the sidebar while watching White Willow, that's cool too.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

quote:

Riverside. For the love of god listen to Riverside. Start with Second Life Syndrome and Rapid Eye Movement.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If you like that album, I'd recommend checking out Soen, Dredg, Karnivool, Oceansize, Jolly, Rishloo, and Ocean Machine-era Devin Townsend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuG1MkwXUY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGnygXFLWPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKsosOvVmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFkyrRqzkIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePF-CcATGLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYOgS7USGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-NQvRmo3I

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 7, 2013

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
If you aren't a super serious person, you should also check Devin Townsend's album Ziltoid the Omniscient. Great tunes and a theme that should put a smile on your face, if you are capable of smiling.

Also, thanks Misogynist. I'm checking out Soen now.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 7, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
These are great recommendations. I haven't heard Soen, Riverside, or Rishloo, so I've got some homework to do. :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Now that I've heard every Gazpacho album aside from When Earth Lets Go, I still think Night is their best.

Missa Atropos could have been, but it's one of the most front-loaded albums I've ever heard. The last third just drags on uninterestingly and doesn't feel like it even needs to be there at all. She's Awake feels like a proper ending, and if you pretend everything that follows it doesn't exist, you have a fantastic album the length of a Gentle Giant LP. It's so frustrating.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Am I the only one that's not feeling Coal? I just listened through it and struggled to pay attention.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Am I the only one that's not feeling Coal? I just listened through it and struggled to pay attention.
I got really annoyed by the "ah-ah-ah-ah" vocals all over the album, personally. I've spun it a few times from Spotify because of the hype between this thread and the metal thread, but I'm not especially impressed. They're all clearly talented musicians, but much more enthralling things have come from Norway.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Bilateral seems like a stronger album, and is the one I've been recommending to people as a starting point. That said, I do love Coal. I can't find anyone else that sounds quite like Leprous.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Welp.

Ade's June 6 FB comment on his being a member of the 2013 NIN touring band:

quote:

concerning me being part of the 2013 Nine Inch Nails band:

it didn't work.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

On the upside, Belew and Reznor acting like adults and not airing their grievances publicly is probably the best thing.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I thought it was more a conflict of schedule - he's still going to appear on the NIN album, correct?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Honestly I bet it was how intense Trent wants to tour that probably did it in. Adrian's not exactly a spring chicken...

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Didnt have much luck in the "identify a song" thread so I thought I'd try here:

I was hoping someone would help me identify an album. I dont remember the name of the band, but the album was prog-rock to the best of my recollection, it had a sci-fi theme with several songs dedicated to stories about a "ghost" spaceship whose crew died in some sort of accident. This album was from the 80's I believe (possibly 70's). One of the songs is about another ship being attacked by pirates and the ghost-spaceship coming to their rescue.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

A concept like that certainly sounds like it falls into prog territory. I don't know myself, but if you're interested enough you could go through this list I found in a google search:

http://io9.com/5906834/top-100-essential-albums-for-science-fiction-fans

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Thanks for posting this - I really enjoyed going through this list, especially being reminded that Genesis was a really good band at one point.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I would argue that Genesis was a good band for most of their career. Their pop stuff is mostly good music, even if prog fans are less enthusiastic about it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would argue that Genesis was a good band for most of their career. Their pop stuff is mostly good music, even if prog fans are less enthusiastic about it.

Collins can write drat popular music. For a band with fairly few albums, and his solo work, he is the absolute Deity of Muzak-in-malls.

I thought his interview where he said "you have no idea how many songs I throw out because I could release whole albums of love ballads but I hate being labelled" (paraphrased) was hilarious.

If your Banks and Rutherford, you owe your polo ponies to Phil, I feel. Once Phil went, we got Calling All Stations - which I *like*, ok? But nobody was getting rich from that one.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Rutherford was pretty successful with Mike + The Mechanics to be fair.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Seventh Arrow posted:

You could make a very solid argument that I wouldn't disagree with. I'm just being a less-enthusiastic prog-fan overgeneralizing on the internet.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

A concept like that certainly sounds like it falls into prog territory. I don't know myself, but if you're interested enough you could go through this list I found in a google search:

http://io9.com/5906834/top-100-essential-albums-for-science-fiction-fans

No, it isn't on that list. All I remember is that someone recommended it as background music for playing FTL and I liked the little bit of it I heard on a youtube clip, but can't find it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Kind of a delayed response here, but I wanted to thank you for this post. I've been kind of out of the prog metal loop lately, and I'm really enjoying Jolly.

Also, I don't know why I haven't mentioned this album in the thread before now as it's one of the best prog albums of the '90s, but Six by Mansun definitely deserves more recognition among the prog community.

Six is a very eclectic yet cohesive concept album with progressive overtones—released in 1999, on a major label, by a then-popular Britpop band.

Aside from spawning one hit single, it was, predictably, a huge flop that basically killed Mansun's career. It's kind of an oversimplification to call it the Britpop Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, but I can't think of a better way to describe its appeal—that's exactly why it's so good. Great melodies, complex song structures, a similar blend of confessional lyrics and offbeat humor, and it's even structured like a vinyl double album.

Sample tracks:
Six
Negative (I think The Mars Volta must have been influenced by this album, as there's a rather strong resemblance to Roulette Dares here.)
Cancer

(Also—if you get this, don't get the US release of the album as the track order was hosed with, the title track was replaced by the single mix, and two songs were cut entirely.)

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 27, 2013