Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

What are some other good solo artists to duets? I liked Bad Meets Evil and Watch the Throne, surely there have been others I'm missing. Best of Both Worlds was whack which is weird Jay-Z and R. Kelly were both pretty hot at the time.

Meth and Red too

I can't really think of any others though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Don trip and starlito put out the best mixtape of last year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_luuBTsO5E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"If you love her don't let me near her, must not know who I is. Cause I'll turn your girl to a circus freak, paint her face with my kids"

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 27, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is Yeezus discussion for this thread or the "Kanye has a new album" thread?

Because...

thathonkey posted:

Run the Jewels > Yeezus.

There, I said it.
This implies that this is a contentious position. If anybody likes Yeezus more than RTJ then their opinion is broken.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q have great chemistry together. I wouldn't mind an EP from those two.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Robert Analog posted:

What are some other good solo artists to duets? I liked Bad Meets Evil and Watch the Throne, surely there have been others I'm missing. Best of Both Worlds was whack which is weird Jay-Z and R. Kelly were both pretty hot at the time.
Obviously BlackStar, which was Talib and Mos Def. I'm also probably one of the few who enjoyed Nas and Damian Marley's Distant Relatives.

I'm still pissed we never got that Child Rebel Soldier with Pharrell, Kanye, and Lupe before Lupe went crazy.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZr8bZ2sp4

I can't wait for Kevin Gates' new project

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Not sure if you're into more chill hip-hop or not, but I like TiRon and Ayomari a good deal. This song in particular is pretty good. Also, to keep the echo chamber going strong, "Run The Jewels" kicks loving rear end all over the place.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I spent an hour or so listening to Run the Jewels and then later in the day El-P tweeted at me so well maybe I should just go out on a high note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ChkExqv2E

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Run the Jewels is cool and I'm back on the fence about spending 40 dollars to see Killer Mike live

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqZr8bZ2sp4

I can't wait for Kevin Gates' new project

This might actually be better than anything on Luca Brasi Story, which is a feat unto itself because that mixtape was amazing.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Eh whatever you want to call it. A lot of places are calling it an EP because it is only ~30m of music. It is kind of in a grey area between EP and LP. But that is just a semantic quibble.

The project owns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_play
If it's over 4 songs and over 25 minutes, it's an album.
If it's under 25 minutes, it's an EP.

RTJ is 33 minutes.

with weird exceptions, like:
Mars Volta "Frances The Mute", 5 songs, ~80 minutes got split into 12 songs to get LP royalties.
I don't think MV wanted an EP, just the label was being weird about it.
The finalized track listing had five tracks and was intended to be released as such on all formats; the vinyl version and online retailer copies (such as those from the iTunes Store) can be found with this track listing. Because of disputes with Universal Records, "Cassandra Gemini" (listed as "Cassandra Geminni" on most versions of the album) [note 1] was arbitrarily split into eight tracks on the CD version, taking up tracks 5 through 12, since the band would otherwise only be paid an EP's wages for a 5 track album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_the_Mute

new Kevin Gates sounds amazing.

I like when El-P beats sound like their own sonic world.
All these beats on RTJ have a similar aesthetic, it's cool, but
poo poo nowadays Aesop Rock is making El-P beats better than El-P is.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 27, 2013

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
El-P did it. He loving did it.

e. tbh he always does it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is Yeezus discussion for this thread or the "Kanye has a new album" thread?

Because...

This implies that this is a contentious position. If anybody likes Yeezus more than RTJ then their opinion is broken.

We can discuss Yeezus here. Though I like yeezus, I was merely comparing an underdog (RTJ - well, everything is an underdog compared to the force that is kanye west) to one of the most highly anticipated rap releases of the year.

Fly McCool posted:

Run the Jewels is cool and I'm back on the fence about spending 40 dollars to see Killer Mike live

40$ for the RTJ show? drat it is only like 18$ in my city (albeit at the shittiest concert venue that we have). I saw Big boi and killer mike earlier in the year and i would say go for it anyway. Mike is a great performer and used no hype man. Just got up there and straight spit.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 27, 2013

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

thathonkey posted:

Yeezus - one of the most highly anticipated rap releases of the year.

I really don't think even Kanye fans look forward to his albums as much as they say they do.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

asap-salafi posted:

I really don't think even Kanye fans look forward to his albums as much as they say they do.

Why do you think this

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'm a Kanye fan and it was one of my most anticipated albums of the year :shrug:

That being said, I doubt it even makes my overall top 10 this year mostly because there is a lot of better poo poo out already and it is only June.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up
Had Run The Jewels on loop since yesterday, and honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of a hip-hop album coming out this year that might match it. It' so loving cohesive and it's 33 straight minutes of pure fire. Hype and premature dick-riding aside, what else is coming out before the end of 2013 that could challenge this? Danny Brown's OLD? Or Earl's DORIS? I'm probably missing a couple of big ones. Anyone?

I also love how El used fragments of sounds/instrumentals from either C4C or R.A.P Music and twisted them, used them in different manners. Like how "No Come Down" feels like a bizarro version of C4C's "Stay Down", even down to the first couple of lines in both El and Mike's verses. Or the drums from Untitled (I think?) being re-used and remixed for one of the tracks, can't remember which. Or the extended cymbals splashing on Twin Hype Back. Or how "A Christmas loving Miracle" has the same melancholic/bittersweet/hopeful vibe as "$4 Vic" and "Poisenville Kids No Wins". There are tons of nods to both Mike and El's previous albums, it's insane.

Hip Gelatinous Cube fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 27, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Danny Brown's OLD? Or Earl's DORIS?

Hope OLD will be as good as we all want it to be. What I can safely say though is that Earl isnt going to put out an album in the same stratosphere.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
drat, I know nobody gives a poo poo but Big Sean's new single is soft as gently caress, even for Big Sean. It sounds like cotton candy personified.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

an skeleton posted:

Why do you think this

because he's progressively getting worse.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

asap-salafi posted:

because he's progressively getting worse.

Not really. Dude drops one experimental album that you don't rock with and you automatically assume that's a downward slide.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vanbags posted:

Obviously BlackStar, which was Talib and Mos Def. I'm also probably one of the few who enjoyed Nas and Damian Marley's Distant Relatives.

I'm still pissed we never got that Child Rebel Soldier with Pharrell, Kanye, and Lupe before Lupe went crazy.
Nah, Distant Relatives was great.

Whenever DOOM and Ghostface come out with their album it will hopefully be graat too.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

Hype and premature dick-riding aside, what else is coming out before the end of 2013 that could challenge this? Danny Brown's OLD? Or Earl's DORIS? I'm probably missing a couple of big ones. Anyone?

I'm a pretty big Danny Brown fan, but I don't think Old is going to be the fire that I hope for.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'll be honest, I hadn't listened to any of the Run the Jewels stuff that had been released before the album. And I was like meh yesterday, and then you guys all went loving crazy and I assumed it might be you guys hyping it the gently caress up. Then I downloaded and pressed play.

Jesus, what the gently caress. Between this and the RubenSlikk album a few pages back, I'm good for the next couple weeks.

One thing I like is how much it's El-P's sound but cleaned up and evolved. There's hints of songs like Stepfather Factory and Fantastic Damage in some of these beats.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, what a great album, I'm really not finding any truly skippable tracks. R.A.P. Music and Pl3dge were both solid but this might top them, already got my DDFH shirt coming in the mail. :v:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm ok with Chest Rockwell slipping molly's in drinks because well, he's Chest Rockwell. He's taught me how to make love to my woman.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

thathonkey posted:

Acid Rap was pretty disappointing imho

your ho is wrong.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

Robert Analog posted:

Kinda stretching on the definition but ghostface and raekwon are always amazing together

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

an skeleton posted:

Not really. Dude drops one experimental album that you don't rock with and you automatically assume that's a downward slide.

kanye west apologists are some of the most frustrating people in the world.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Yaoi Mandel posted:

your ho is wrong.

haha

i expected to like it alot more based on reactions, it has some good poo poo tho but i think he's gotta develop a little bit before i can really get behind him as an artist

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yaoi Mandel posted:

your ho is wrong.

Great rebuttal. So you didnt think acid rap was disappointing? I didnt hate it or anything but i think his previous mixtape was better.

Like he bit off more than he could chew, musically. Kudos for the effort but it didnt really come together for me. Especially after someone in this thread said Chance is better than 90% of the music posted in this thread i was expecting more from it.

:shrug: sorry you disagree with my opinions on music but if you cant articulate why im wrong then im afraid youre the one whose ho is in bad shape

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 27, 2013

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

I thought it was good. Had some bangers, lyrics were good and even Childish Gambino can't ruin "Favorite Song." Man some of you guys are so easy to rile up.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Acid Rain is the only song off Acid Rap I really liked, but it wasn't terrible or anything.

Run the Jewels owns though and Get It is a great song but that annoying rear end chorus aaaagh

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I can't get over Chance's voice I don't know how you guys do it

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I can't get over Chance's voice I don't know how you guys do it

Yeah I can understand that. I like weird poo poo though. Young Thug.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm waiting for a Kendrick robot baby voice vs Chance mash-up. I want to destroy your ears.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
ESGN all day every day :E

Just got back from ASAP, im off my face on mdma and 2cb but it was a p.good show.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Take it to the drug forum, hippie.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Run the jewels is not THAT good. Plenty of skips, weak as gently caress vocals on some songs, ect. It is better than freddie gibbs in the aspect that it isn't just trap. I don't think it comes close to last years greatest album for me D.R.U.G.S. as there is almost zero versatility displayed. It goes hard as gently caress but I think new danny brown or the cocaine pinananananataz would smash it.

Gladstone posted:

ESGN all day every day :E

Just got back from ASAP, im off my face on mdma and 2cb but it was a p.good show.

Same! The chick next to me on the barrier dropped shitloads and was flashing the whole time :) Such a good event, I liked how asap rocky wore a coogi sweater to rep the only part of australian hip hop history we have

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
e: ^^ the bartender at the left wearing the tight as fuuu shirt was hot as gently caress.

I prefer Indigoism to D.R.U.G.S but currently ESGN, Yeezus are my favourite releases. This year is amazing though, still got pusha, doomstarks, danny brown etc.

Shame Cocaine Pinatas is so far away.

e: @ HarleyC, tbh I got more hyped from them playing the Future songs lol than their actual set list. I thought their set list was pretty meh, I was hoping for Brand New Guys.

Gladstone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 27, 2013

• Locked thread