Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i think id honestly rather use notepad than eclipse. you can rip on microsoft for a lot, but VS and SQL Mgmt Studio are a pleasure to work in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I really like jj to ESC, and I globally remap capslock to ctrl because i'd like to have a functional pinky when im 40 and smashing on yalls kids in they college years

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I have caps lock and control swapped as a system wide thing. When I switch to or from the French keyboard layout there's maybe half a second where caps lock is still caps lock, and I've never had a problem with that when using it but I noticed it when I was setting things up and knowing it's there bugs me a lot :(

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i just use notepad++ for my bad python stuff

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
is it because u are a poor or because you make bad life decisions?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

dur posted:

i just use notepad++ for my bad python stuff

same :(

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

uG posted:

is it because u are a poor or because you make bad life decisions?

yeah

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
notepad++ used to have some really bad syntax highlighting for python, did it get better?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

idk, i've only been using python for about a year and the highlighting hasn't changed as far as i can tell. fits my needs though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I started by using word then I realized there's no line numbers so I switched to excel.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MeruFM posted:

I started by using word then I realized there's no line numbers so I switched to excel.

realtalk there's a guy at work who doesn't trust programming languages so he writes hex in excel to program microcontrollers :psyduck:
luckily this is not his main responsibility

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bloody posted:

realtalk there's a guy at work who doesn't trust programming languages so he writes hex in excel to program microcontrollers :psyduck:
luckily this is not his main responsibility

unfortunately it's definitely somebody else's main responsibility

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

qntm posted:

unfortunately it's definitely somebody else's main responsibility

i think this every time i debug boost code and thinking about how people even code like that

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

i think this every time i debug boost code and thinking about how people even code like that

didnt tts work for that boost consultancy or whatever

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
idk about work but he was boost as gently caress

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
rip tts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i need to bring myself up to speed with jquery very quickly. i've already started tearing apart examples and going through the docs.

my plan is to keep on keeping on, unless anybody is aware of a good quick-start tutorial for jquery animation

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
boost is gr8

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

polpotpi posted:

did you contribute to those sublime plugin repos using vim?

mostly, I was using sublime for a while. Switched back to vim though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

i need to bring myself up to speed with jquery very quickly. i've already started tearing apart examples and going through the docs.

my plan is to keep on keeping on, unless anybody is aware of a good quick-start tutorial for jquery animation

find code that does almost what you want, make it do what you want

mastering the second step puts you in the top 10% of jquery users worldwide because most of them just copy poo poo from other sites and don't know ho to change them

truly the php of javascript

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cocoa Crispies posted:

mastering the second step puts you in the top 10% of jquery users worldwide because most of them just copy poo poo from other sites and don't know ho to change them

truly the php of javascript

i got to feel really smug when somebody linked to people on stack overflow asking "how do i do arithmetic in jquery?"

it's just javascript, dude :smuggo:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is the php of javascript

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

d3.js is the best library for any language, so javascript owns

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the php of javascript

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

javascript is the only language versatile enough to be used on the fronted and backend. the goddamn internet runs on javascript. you can get paid to write functional code in javascript.

i dunno how anyone can not like js

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
you can get paid to write any loving thing. you should see some of the perl code i've been paid to write. doesn't mean any of it is any good.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

polpotpi posted:

javascript is the only language versatile enough to be used on the fronted and backend. the goddamn internet runs on javascript. you can get paid to write functional code in javascript.

it's poo poo jerry, poo poo

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

is angular old/uncool enough that it's been relegated to the ranks of mature, unusable garbage yet

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

polpotpi posted:

whaat, is there no web server written in php

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

unusable garbage? yes. mature? no

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

qntm posted:

whaat, is there no web server written in php

lol @ using php. how many goddamn languages and bugs are you gonna throw in the mix. just use javascript.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

polpotpi posted:

unusable garbage? yes. mature? no

so just backbone fits that profile then i guess, i remember when it was cool and now it's not

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
semi-serious question: what's the serious engineer-scientist opinion of things like ip, tcp, and http? are those masterpieces of engineering design, or are there chunks of them that are the equivalent of spit and baling wire, things that work despite themselves?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

prefect posted:

semi-serious question: what's the serious engineer-scientist opinion of things like ip, tcp, and http? are those masterpieces of engineering design, or are there chunks of them that are the equivalent of spit and baling wire, things that work despite themselves?

they are excellent examples of decent ideas taken way, way beyond their original usage scenario

like not in ipv4 designers wildest dreams would 4 billion devices want to talk to eachother

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

prefect posted:

spit and baling wire, things that work despite themselves

this describes 100% of systems everywhere, sorry

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prefect posted:

the intersection of things that are elegant with things that are used is basically nil

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO KLUDGE

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
it's because humans are lovely so anything elegant is useless

software is kludge we have, and the kludge we deserve

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this is my current mo. banging code together like genitals after the wedding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the intersection of things that are elegant with things that are used is basically nil

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO KLUDGE

quotin' dis

• Locked thread