Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

It's very easy to set up. Just activate your youtube and pocket channels from IFTTT (authorising IFTTT to use them basically) then add the 'recipe' (it was already created by somebody else).

After fiddling about with the various read it later services I've gone all in with Pocket and deleted the rest. I'm not sure if any of the others support Video but Pocket has for a while, as well as its core function of saving websites in a stripped down format.

Wow you weren't kidding. Installed Pocket, created an account, created an IFTTT account and set up the recipe: total time ~10 minutes. If websites look as good in Pocket as they do in Readability (I find Readability's conversion plugin for Chrome to be superior to Instapaper) then I'm ditching Readability completely.

EDIT: Just realized Readability supports video, switched the recipe to that - man, I'm blown away at how easy this is to set up.

foobar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So what is the best current solution to vine taking up 500mb for its cache space?

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

Pan Ache posted:

So what is the best current solution to vine taking up 500mb for its cache space?

Delete Vine.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Try running PhoneClean every now and then maybe?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
So, with Downcast being the go to podcast app, and me being frustrated with the native Podcast, I'm about to spend the $2 and get Downcast. Before I do - how does it work? Will it pull the podcasts I subscribe to in iTunes? Will I be able to use iTunes to find and subscribe to podcasts or will I need to do all that via Downcast. I guess I'm asking how well integrated into itunes Downcast is, if it will use itunes links to get pocasts etc.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

What would be a recommended app for testing your wifi/3G connection speeds?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I usually use SpeedTest.net's app

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The speedtest.net app?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
TBH, PhoneClean deserves OPing, if it hasn't already, with the warning that it may delete your in-app cookies.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

porktree posted:

So, with Downcast being the go to podcast app, and me being frustrated with the native Podcast, I'm about to spend the $2 and get Downcast. Before I do - how does it work? Will it pull the podcasts I subscribe to in iTunes? Will I be able to use iTunes to find and subscribe to podcasts or will I need to do all that via Downcast. I guess I'm asking how well integrated into itunes Downcast is, if it will use itunes links to get pocasts etc.

Downcast isn't tied to iTunes at all. You add subscriptions by adding the RSS feed of the podcast OR by searching for the podcast by name (works for the majority of them). So you need to spend some time setting it up in the beginning, but it's worth it.

BTW iTunes just indexes podcasts, it doesn't store them. It's prefty much powered by RSS feeds.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

empty baggie posted:

The speedtest.net app?
http://appshopper.com/utilities/speedtestnet-speed-test

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Is anyone else having repeat alerts from the gmail app? I keep getting the same alert for the same email every fifteen minutes or so.

Anyway, I travel a lot for work and I've been using Uber to order and pay for cabs/cars. It's pretty amazing and has been useful, but is a little more expensive if there aren't cabs available in your city.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pan Ache posted:

Update to the newest version (v1.1.0), which added a Clear Cache option in Settings.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

We posted at the same time. I was suggesting the app, not asking about it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mierenneuker posted:

Downcast isn't tied to iTunes at all. You add subscriptions by adding the RSS feed of the podcast OR by searching for the podcast by name (works for the majority of them). So you need to spend some time setting it up in the beginning, but it's worth it.

BTW iTunes just indexes podcasts, it doesn't store them. It's prefty much powered by RSS feeds.

Thanks - I was just hoping to first get all the episodes from the podcasts I am baklogged on and second ot have to redownload everything. And be able to manage subs from my computer. C'est la vie - I exported my subs as an opml file and did the grunt work and am happy with Downcast.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Kheldarn posted:

Update to the newest version (v1.1.0), which added a Clear Cache option in Settings.

That'd be a great idea if this was the Android app thread.

iOS is on 1.1.3, and has no such option.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sieg posted:

That'd be a great idea if this was the Android app thread.

iOS is on 1.1.3, and has no such option.

Oh. I thought they were keeping them in sync. I'm sorry.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Mailbox finally got portrait support for iPhone. Now it gets that fifth star from me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Mailbox finally got portrait support for iPhone. Now it gets that fifth star from me.

I'm still waiting for custom notifications. :sigh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mierenneuker posted:

The itunes app on the iphone did not store the podcasts. However, itunes on a computer most definitely downloads and stores the files onto your computer, and then transfers the files to your phone, which is why even the lovely podcast app can instantly start playing a podcast in an area with no internet, because the file is already synced, playback position and all, to your phone (which actually is another reason why the podcast app is so loving horrible that when it advances to the next item on your playlist, it tries to download the file already synced to the device, and fails 3/4 of the time).

I personally much much much prefer just deleting the podcast app and restarting my phone. It puts podcasts back into the music app, and they still work great there. You can also ask siri to play podcasts and she plays them in music but this can often be an exercise in frustration.

I know, some people hate syncing to their computer by plugging it in (which you really don't have to do anymore since podcasts sync over wi-fi), only have one device (icloud syncing does work, sometimes, but things like shuffles obviously don't sync to icloud), or want to download podcasts far away from their computer, and for those people, the third party apps are the best solutions.

I think iCatcher is better than Downcast but they're both decent at what they do and both better than Podcasts. Although Podcasts is much improved, it just has hilariously stupid bugs (like previously mentioned) that make it almost useless to me.

Shampy posted:

Someone please recommend me a free podcast app alternative to the regular iOS one. I'd like an alternative since it seems like the iOS podcast app is broken on iOS7.

The free version of tunein radio supports podcasts. It's a loving awesome app (and the pro one is even better), although, not so awesome at podcasts. However if you just want to listen to an episode of something, it works, is faster than Podcasts, and it's free. I would probably use one of the paid apps ahead of this if I had any more needs than just that, especially if you're using ios7 since at least right now, the delete-Podcasts workaround isn't working. Siri will still play podcasts on your phone without the podcast app installed in ios7 but it's pretty annoying unless you construct a bunch of playlists that are really easy to enunciate.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 27, 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uh zip zoom posted:

i need a good email client, something that will work with multiple accounts. Is there a better choice than the native email client that comes with iOS?

"mailbox" is kinda worse w/r/t reading the email itself but it's great for sorting emails and dealing with them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone come to the conclusion that whatever magic Sleep Cycle claims to implement is actually a pile of bullshit?

I've been using it for a few months and while I really like some of what it does (the tap to snooze is great) I'm getting the impression its ability to track cycles is bunk. The past few days I've had some sleepless stretches where I lie awake for an hour or more.. and curiously, the resulting graph when I wake up in the morning looks almost identical to the graph on a night where I sleep uninterrupted.

The "sleep quality" number it generates is hilariously random, and also has no bearing on whether I feel rested or not.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yeah I'm sort of mixed on it's results. There are peaks where it says I was awake for a bit but I don't remember waking up (could have been very restless, which is plausible)

But this morning I woke up at around 6 am (about an hour before I was due to wake up), and picked up the phone to check the time. Looking at the graph now, it says I was deep asleep around 6 but awake at just after 5.

Note that all it really has to go on are your movements translated through the mattress. I don't know how they translate that into sleep stages, but if you're lying awake staying fairly still it might not know you're awake, and so on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

foobar posted:

EDIT: Just realized Readability supports video, switched the recipe to that - man, I'm blown away at how easy this is to set up.

Can you (or someone) explain this a bit more? I have Readability on my phone. I'm (sort of) familiar with IFTTT. What do I do to get youtubes on my readability to look at them later?

What do I set up? Whats the recipe? And what do I then do on my phone or computer to "Send" them there?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Can you (or someone) explain this a bit more? I have Readability on my phone. I'm (sort of) familiar with IFTTT. What do I do to get youtubes on my readability to look at them later?

What do I set up? Whats the recipe? And what do I then do on my phone or computer to "Send" them there?

IFTTT (If This Than That) hooks up two random services together based on inputs and outputs. So for example If This (Watch Later Video on Youtube) Than That (Save to Readability). Here is the recipe to do that (I think). It's a nice service. I mostly use it for sending Google Reader/Feedly starred items to Pocket because it requires less key strokes.

It takes at most 15 minutes for IFTTT to figure out what is going on. I think it depends on how the services are hooked up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
As another example, I use to get CL stuff I'm looking for emailed to me. I setup a search in my area for "stoves" and now whenever someone posts one it shows up in my inbox.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I'm really enjoying instagram's new video features, but I don't care for the sharing part. Is there a dedicated video capture app out there with the same magic but without the social aspect?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Is there an iPhone browser that allows you to play flash videos AND blocks pop ups?

I have a site I watch flash based video streams but it has a lot of pop ups.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there an iPhone browser that allows you to play flash videos AND blocks pop ups?

I have a site I watch flash based video streams but it has a lot of pop ups.

Once upon a time Apple got really pissed at Adobe (because they are terrible.)

There will never be Flash on iOS devices.

The end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually, there's a lot of flash browsers for iOS.

Puffin and Photon are two web browsers I used without any trouble. Their flash functionality is pretty much perfect.

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A

Butt Savage posted:

I'm really enjoying instagram's new video features, but I don't care for the sharing part. Is there a dedicated video capture app out there with the same magic but without the social aspect?

http://www.appshopper.com/photography/8mm-vintage-camera

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Actually, there's a lot of flash browsers for iOS.

Puffin and Photon are two web browsers I used without any trouble. Their flash functionality is pretty much perfect.

Does either browser have a pop up blocker?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

iOS Reeder is now free, down from $2.99.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder/id325502379?mt=8

Not sure why. What's the business model then? Maybe they are going to make the next version a new app that everyone will need to buy again?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

smackfu posted:

iOS Reeder is now free, down from $2.99.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder/id325502379?mt=8

Not sure why. What's the business model then? Maybe they are going to make the next version a new app that everyone will need to buy again?

I'm not sure. Did the same thing on OsX a few months ago. I thought like you is that it probably indicated a new version that required rebuying.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

smackfu posted:

They might have just stalled out on sales and are banking on being free for a short amount of time to get more installs, get a buzz from people, then going back to a paygate with a higher reputation.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Dave posted:

They might have just stalled out on sales and are banking on being free for a short amount of time to get more installs, get a buzz from people, then going back to a paygate with a higher reputation.

Also gets a lot of users to try it right before it breaks on July 1st. Yes, it has a couple of alternate providers but they are both paid.

As for business plans, I think they could do pretty well if they added each additional provider as a $1 IAP. I would pay for that, at least, to continue using my preferred reader app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It sounds like the developer is offering it free for awhile as a concession due to Google Reader shutting down and his not having all three platforms sorted out in terms of features/parity. Presumably it'll go back to paid once the Mac/iPad 2.0 versions are released and everything falls into place.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

petewhitley posted:

It sounds like the developer is offering it free for awhile as a concession due to Google Reader shutting down and his not having all three platforms sorted out in terms of features/parity. Presumably it'll go back to paid once the Mac/iPad 2.0 versions are released and everything falls into place.

I'm actually going to guess he'll release a completely new app and charge everyone again rather than just update the existing app. Not that that's really wrong, since it's a pretty huge update.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

petewhitley posted:

Yeah I remember this was the reason given for the Mac (and iPad?) one going free a while back, I guess he fell behind on all versions?

I switched to Mr. Reader on iPad a while back so I'm fine there at least, its update with other service support just came out recently, seems to work fine with Feedly at least. One annoying caveat though, it does unique settings per account, and the app has a crapload of settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

maduin posted:

I'm actually going to guess he'll release a completely new app and charge everyone again rather than just update the existing app. Not that that's really wrong, since it's a pretty huge update.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that by version 2.0 I meant actual new apps, he's confirmed that.

• Locked thread