Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Though i disagree with your evaluation of RTJ, I also have unreasonably high expectations for cocaine pinatas and OLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Run the jews. Run the judes. Run the juice. Run the chews(bacca).

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Gladstone posted:

e: @ HarleyC, tbh I got more hyped from them playing the Future songs lol than their actual set list. I thought their set list was pretty meh, I was hoping for Brand New Guys.

I think the whole combination of tits and trap kind of just made it a better experience than it really was.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Wait does cocaine pinatas have a release date??

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

Harley C posted:

I think the whole combination of tits and trap kind of just made it a better experience than it really was.

Yea, sound wise metro was very average. I honestly had more fun at Lil B lol.

edit: Content - Cocaine Pinata is 'Released: October, 2013' according to wikipedia so loving far away!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

thathonkey posted:

Though i disagree with your evaluation of RTJ, I also have unreasonably high expectations for cocaine pinatas and OLD.

Agreed. Google says the release date is set for October 2013. edit: whoops.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

Run the jews. Run the judes. Run the juice. Run the chews(bacca).

6/10. Come on temple i know you can do better than that!

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
if your stepmom won't let you download it you can stream it here:

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Features on Jay Zs' album;

6. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt (Feat. Rick Ross)

7. Oceans (Feat. Frank Ocean)

9. Part II (On The Run) (Feat. Beyonce)

11. La Familia (Feat. Chief Keef, RiFF RAFF)

14. Holy Grail (feat. Justin Timberlake)

kidding on the #11

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

I AM BRAWW posted:

kidding on the #11

I really thought Nas, Drake and Raekwon would be features, given the photos that they took. I really wouldn't have minded hearing Nas and Jay together again.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

I AM BRAWW posted:

Someone retire Jay-Z.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Have you guys been reading the lyrics they're releasing? Seems silly to judge the music just reading the lyrics but they're all so ZZZZZZZZ

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

Muck and Mire posted:

Have you guys been reading the lyrics they're releasing? Seems silly to judge the music just reading the lyrics but they're all so ZZZZZZZZ

I didn't even know they were doing this. I haven't caught up with the hype, just gonna wait till the album drops and I'll give it a listen then.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont really understand how people can still get excited about a Jay-Z album. Dude hasnt really made any good poo poo since Black Album when he should have retired from doing solo albums for real for real...

Like he has barely even had good verses/songs since that era. Much less an entire album.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

an skeleton posted:

Not really. Dude drops one experimental album that you don't rock with and you automatically assume that's a downward slide.

However, to be honest, all because you experiment with sounds does not necessarily give it a "get out of jail" card in terms of subjectivity. Experimenting with sounds can end good, but it can also end up not that great, or it can be underwhelming. People in this thread put it best by saying that Yeezus was very underwhelming. Death Grips is a perfect example of experimental music, as each album is different, and yet they get critical praise across the board.

Maybe Kanye has decided to stop pandering to the audience and decided to make what he wants to, that is fine; however, as a talented musician, you have to also realize that sometimes something is eh with how it sounds. So maybe Kanye thought that it matched exactly what he wanted, and y'know, good on him, but there are plenty people and die hard fans who would not praise it as highly as him. It is clear he wants to refine his music, but it is also clear that that might take some time and a lot of tweaking.

I don't hate Kanye, and I do like a lot of his music and agree with his messages, but Yeezus was just an album full of great and disappointing moments. Each track had a fantastic aspect, but then a borderline annoying part or aesthetic that made me want to skip over it. To me, it sounds like he tried to experiment too much, and then pack all into a short time frame, and it ended up being a mish mash of ideas. Some people argue that he did it on purpose, but it's all subjective so I'm going to stop my stupid commentary on Yeezus.

Robert Analog posted:

What are some other good solo artists to duets? I liked Bad Meets Evil and Watch the Throne, surely there have been others I'm missing. Best of Both Worlds was whack which is weird Jay-Z and R. Kelly were both pretty hot at the time.

Not exactly a duet, but I have heard that Madvillainly is a fantastic collaboration between MF Doom and Madlib.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 27, 2013

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
He has a sound that I've grown up with I guess. Nobody does exactly what he does and he usually has nice beats.

But I feel you. I guess he is just a "genre" unto himself or whatever that I happen to still like. I will listen to it just because it is Jay-Z, not because I have high expectations. The collabs have me wondering tho, he is cosigning some surprising names tbh

e:

GentlemanBrofro posted:

However, to be honest, all because you experiment with sounds does not necessarily give it a "get out of jail" card in terms of subjectivity. Experimenting with sounds can end good, but it can also end up not that great, or it can be underwhelming. People in this thread put it best by saying that Yeezus was very underwhelming. Death Grips is a perfect example of experimental music, as each album is different, and yet they get critical praise across the board.

FTR i dislike deathgrips alot (maybe i haven't listened to enough) and like yeezus - not that this makes me special but just being "different" isn't enough to me anymore - an album has to strike me a certain way. I'm by no means a tastemaker or anything but it seems to me that HIPHOP as a label is currently undergoing such an expansion of accepted styles that soon it won't be so out of place to have different styles of songs all in one album, the same way other genres can have a vast range without being labeled as "experimental" or whatever. I hope it becomes the norm for rap albums to start opening up a little bit stylewise instead of 74 minutes of the same trap roll and 808s. There's a time and a place for everything tho, and consistency is definitely a plus for some artists.

I am not a Kanye apologist haha

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2013

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

THNDRTHF posted:

But I feel you. I guess he is just a "genre" unto himself or whatever that I happen to still like. I will listen to it just because it is Jay-Z, not because I have high expectations. The collabs have me wondering tho, he is cosigning some surprising names tbh

This more or less summarizes my feelings about Nas as well although Nas is much better at everything but making money

Rakim too. And pretty much every rapper thats old?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Fly McCool posted:

This more or less summarizes my feelings about Nas as well although Nas is much better at everything but making money

Rakim too. And pretty much every rapper thats old?

Yeah they stuck around for a reason. You don't expect AC/DC to come out with some left field mind blowing poo poo, they just do what they do and it's enough for a true fan to remember why they listened to their poo poo in the first place.

Nas, Busta Rhymes, poo poo even dudes like Ghost / Raekwon - they have their own poo poo figured out for like 20 years, it's just a comfortable thing to listen to at this point maybe.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

THNDRTHF posted:

Yeah they stuck around for a reason. You don't expect AC/DC to come out with some left field mind blowing poo poo, they just do what they do and it's enough for a true fan to remember why they listened to their poo poo in the first place.

Nas, Busta Rhymes, poo poo even dudes like Ghost / Raekwon - they have their own poo poo figured out for like 20 years, it's just a comfortable thing to listen to at this point maybe.

Well I guess this is growing up

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

I AM BRAWW posted:

:stare:

I AM BRAWW posted:

kidding on the #11

:smith:

Don't play with my emotions like that.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/06/the_10_best_non.php

The Village Voice had a solid overview of the writer's favorite 2013 stuff that isn't Jay or Kanye (also lacking in any trap if you're looking for something different), and it's a decent list, although with some rappers you guys are probably already familiar with.

They did, however, choose the wrong Chicago rapper to hype up (Chance is not as good as Tree), Tyler the Creator is whatevs, and the Woods track they chose isn't as good as this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiUfZXMsCA

InnercityGriot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2013

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

Someone retire Jay-Z.

Frank Ocean rules why do you hate everything I love temple?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I AM BRAWW posted:

kidding on the #11

I'm really glad RiFF RAFF has the notoriety to do a song with a legend like Jay-Z even if people say he is washed up. That's a big deal for a small fry like RiFF. Also the JT and Beyonce songs will probably hit top 40. The beyonce song at least since everything she touches people eat up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

b0red posted:

I'm really glad RiFF RAFF has the notoriety to do a song with a legend like Jay-Z even if people say he is washed up. That's a big deal for a small fry like RiFF. Also the JT and Beyonce songs will probably hit top 40. The beyonce song at least since everything she touches people eat up.

Did you not read the spoiler?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I Before E posted:

Did you not read the spoiler?

Maybe he did. Thoughts, everyone?

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Maybe Kanye has decided to stop pandering to the audience and decided to make what he wants to, that is fine; however, as a talented musician, you have to also realize that sometimes something is eh with how it sounds. So maybe Kanye thought that it matched exactly what he wanted, and y'know, good on him, but there are plenty people and die hard fans who would not praise it as highly as him. It is clear he wants to refine his music, but it is also clear that that might take some time and a lot of tweaking.

I don't hate Kanye, and I do like a lot of his music and agree with his messages, but Yeezus was just an album full of great and disappointing moments. Each track had a fantastic aspect, but then a borderline annoying part or aesthetic that made me want to skip over it. To me, it sounds like he tried to experiment too much, and then pack all into a short time frame, and it ended up being a mish mash of ideas. Some people argue that he did it on purpose, but it's all subjective so I'm going to stop my stupid commentary on Yeezus.

Kanyes early poo poo (although I've never LOVED him) was classic. Recently though the "different" aspect has lost its appeal because there are other artists doing different poo poo and it sounds a whole lot better than Kanyes last 2 albums before Yeezus (mbdtf, wtt). He's getting old and unfortunately he's not as "hip" and "with it" as he thinks he is. I'm not taking anything away from him and I obviously admire his work ethic but for me...I don't see a big future for dude.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Really nice post on Kanye/Yeezus by gentlemanbrofro. Sums up my feelings bout the album and Ye way better than i could articulate. The only song that doesnt have terrible parts that i cant stand is "blood on the leaves"

Robert Analog posted:

Frank Ocean rules why do you hate everything I love temple?

I think or hope he meant the utterly contrived title for the song featuring a great artist who goes by the same name...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 27, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
To the guy who hates Kanye apologists, I don't think I'm really that big of a 'Ye apologist. I think a large portion of the hip-hop consuming masses doesn't like or appreciate a large degree of experimentation in hip-hop and they made up a big portion of the "boos" when the album came out. To those of you who are a bit more exposed and genre-savvy/not just confined to hip-hop in your listening habits, I can respect your opinion a lot more. GentlemanBroFro is correct in that experimentation does not grant you a get out of jail free card in terms of subjective quality. Problem for me is, in my opinion there is some really cool poo poo on Yeezus that I enjoy. There are also moments where it falters and unfortunately they are strewn pretty regularly throughout instead of being concentrated on one part of the album there are a lot of little weak spots, especially if you overanalyze a lot of the lyrics. That being said I am a huge sucker for Daft Punk and it was basically impossible from the get-go for this album not to be some kind of "Good" to me.

The first four songs plus Blood On The Leaves/I'm In It are all really loving enjoyable for me and are the ones I will return to.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly within ten seconds of listening to Yeezus I immediately thought "NiggyTardust" and just dipped back into that enjoyably. Who knew Saul Williams and Trent Reznor were so ahead of their time with that poo poo, it sure didn't dawn on me back then when I was bumping it pretty hard. :v:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I think I like Run the Jewels better than ESGN because RTJ doesn't have Big Kill on it.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Cool Buff Man posted:

riff raff x jay-z is long overdue imho

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Fun Times! posted:

I think I like Run the Jewels better than ESGN because RTJ doesn't have Big Kill on it.

The best songs off ESGN don't have him tho :frogbon:

no but seriously I actually listen to those songs and look forward to how goofy as gently caress big kill is about to sound every time

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Cool Buff Man posted:

Maybe I did, Maybe I didn't. Maybe I know it's true.

THNDRTHF posted:

riff raff x jay-z is long overdue imho

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I listen to them too :shobon:

But drat

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
You can kinda tell Yeezus doesnt have much staying power by watching the Kanye thread revert to discussion of Cruel Summer before finally falling off the front page less than a week after the album came out...

Half-kidding but I like the album, it just isnt great.

spoils
Nov 2, 2012
Surprised nobody seems that hype for Earl and Doris (which is supposed to come out this July I think). Earl keeps putting out solid to great feature verses and much to my surprise has some great production skills. Plus EARL (the album) has some of the best flow I've ever heard. I'm expecting a great album and Chum is a great song as well.
Domo Genesis: Elimination Chamber feat Earl, Action Bronson, and Vince Staples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkgUYARWao

Mac Miller- The Star Room (produced by Earl)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXLdI2cLFU

Earl/ Tyler: Assmilk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EGMQtzpy3M

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Earl & Tyler compliment each other so well in songs.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

an skeleton posted:

GentlemanBroFro is correct in that experimentation does not grant you a get out of jail free card in terms of subjective quality. Problem for me is, in my opinion there is some really cool poo poo on Yeezus that I enjoy. There are also moments where it falters and unfortunately they are strewn pretty regularly throughout instead of being concentrated on one part of the album there are a lot of little weak spots, especially if you overanalyze a lot of the lyrics. That being said I am a huge sucker for Daft Punk and it was basically impossible from the get-go for this album not to be some kind of "Good" to me.

The first four songs plus Blood On The Leaves/I'm In It are all really loving enjoyable for me and are the ones I will return to.

Yeah, can't really disagree about there being good songs on Yeezus, but at least to me, it seems like a track is fantastic, then something happens that makes me reel back and go, "This is just really irritating." A lot of what makes me unhappy with the album is simply that principal.

On the bright side, Beastie Boys is p good. Seriously, this video is so hypnotic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atgTK0QFPoE

ps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVoQNNClmU

• Locked thread