Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DrPain posted:

:confused:

Oh god I'm so conflicted.

Can I put bigger turbos on it to make it not a slug? Or something?
I remember in GRM, this guy talked about how he'd stripped his down to 3100lbs by removing all the gadgets. He said it still was a painful car to own and work on, but that he'd finally gotten it to what we wanted. No details here:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/5817/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blk posted:

What site is this? Canadians keep posting ads from it.

Kijiji. It's basically eBay's version of Craigslist. It's popular here in most provinces except BC for some reason I've yet to determine.

Here's some more gold from it:

There are literally no pictures of the car.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 24, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's probably upside down on a riverbank somewhere in Medicine Hat now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This just caught my eye

1995 Ford Ranger that's having an identity crisis

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/cto/3880776334.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3845067404.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

kimbo305 posted:

I remember in GRM, this guy talked about how he'd stripped his down to 3100lbs by removing all the gadgets. He said it still was a painful car to own and work on, but that he'd finally gotten it to what we wanted. No details here:

I hate it when people slice up the bumper like that. It looks like poo poo, and cools like poo poo.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

kimbo305 posted:

Bro I already RWD swapped and stage 3 weight reduction'd a stealth down to ~2700 lbs in forzas.

Still slow.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I want this. I need a new house with a bigger garage though because I'd feel a bit bad about parking it on the street. I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade or downgrade from my NA Miata though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrPain posted:

Bro I already RWD swapped and stage 3 weight reduction'd a stealth down to ~2700 lbs in forzas.

Still slow.

That just reminded me how much I loved the 3000gt VR-4 in Gran Turismo, but now that I think about it, it wasn't really good until I upgraded it with what the real world equivalent would have been probably $200k in modifications. I see the base models on the road now and then and they still look cool, even if it'd get completely outdriven by my Kia.

Also, how is it the vr-4 weighs 507lbs more than the base? Aside from the turbo, how much else is tacked on causing that kind of difference? It's the same 3.0l V6 in each right? Or did the vr-4 get some heavier 3.0 than the base model?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

davebo posted:

That just reminded me how much I loved the 3000gt VR-4 in Gran Turismo, but now that I think about it, it wasn't really good until I upgraded it with what the real world equivalent would have been probably $200k in modifications. I see the base models on the road now and then and they still look cool, even if it'd get completely outdriven by my Kia.

Also, how is it the vr-4 weighs 507lbs more than the base? Aside from the turbo, how much else is tacked on causing that kind of difference? It's the same 3.0l V6 in each right? Or did the vr-4 get some heavier 3.0 than the base model?

Two turbos, intercoolers, piping for intercoolers, exhaust system, a driveshaft, rear axles, rear pumpkin, chassis reinforcements, different gas tank, luxury appointments.

Gran Turismo always made me mad because you could max out the Lancer EVO 3 motor with 469 horsepower but the Eclipse could only get 360 or so hp. It's the same god damned engine. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Note that the "no rust" only applies to the body. It's been sitting for 10 years so everything rubber needs to be replaced and I guarantee you the only reason the battery isn't falling out of the "hell hole" has something to do with either the car not moving or plywood.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
So I got hosed out of this truck last night:

94 Ranger STX 4X4 - 80k miles - EXCELLENT CONDITION --Very Dependable! - $2700 posted:

Loaded! Excellent Condition! Great daily driver! Great on gas!

For sale by owner to private party - sorry, no dealers please.

1993 Ford Ranger STX model

Straight body, clean interior and all accessories in working order!

-80K Miles
-4X4
-COLD A/C
-4.0L V-6 (very powerful yet fuel efficient)
-Automatic Transmission
-AM/FM CD
-Power Locks
-Power Windows
-Cruise Control
-Tilt Wheel
-Tinted Windows
-Tow Package
-Bed Liner
-Locking Storage/Tool Box

Extremely well maintained - non-smoker.

Clean NV title in hand.

Clean as gently caress, a ton of service records, and rather quickly buried the 85mph speedo with the 4.0 in a minitruck. The sweet 90s graphics and off road package were just icing on the cake. I offered him $2500 on the spot, and some dickhead from two hours out of town offered him $3000 "if it's the same truck in the pictures" and I wasn't about to get into a bidding war.

Still kinda pissed.

Hold me, AI :3:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 25, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Sometimes when you go low, you lose. It was never meant to be.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Octopus Magic posted:

Sometimes when you go low, you lose. It was never meant to be.

I don't even felt like I went low. It needed a fuel filler neck and the tires were weather checked so I felt like $2500 was a fair offer.

:negative:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DrPain posted:

Clean as gently caress, a ton of service records, and rather quickly buried the 85mph speedo with the 4.0 in a minitruck. The sweet 90s graphics and off road package were just icing on the cake. I offered him $2500 on the spot, and some dickhead from two hours out of town offered him $3000 "if it's the same truck in the pictures" and I wasn't about to get into a bidding war.

Still kinda pissed.

Hold me, AI :3:

Take solace in knowing the dickhead probably didn't even show up. This is craigslist after all.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

At first I saw this and thought "What a nightmare," but I wonder if the warranty is actually legit, as that's the only way I'd consider spending money on a modern VW. Aren't most third-party warranties bullshit, though?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DrPain posted:

5 digit odometer? My truck's a 91 and it has 6 digits. What the hell Ford. Wonder if it rolled over.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

blk posted:

Aren't most third-party warranties bullshit, though?

Yeah, we chatted about this in the BMW thread a day or two ago, they are all poo poo. ANY non-stock parts? 'Modified vehicle', claim denied. Was the part rubber or plastic? claim denied. Not catastrophic failure? 'Normal wear and tear', claim denied. Also, if you make a claim and afterwards cancel your policy, they reverse payouts - if they spent 1k fixing your car and you cancel your policy expecting a $1200 prorated refund, you will get a check for $200.

---

Latest hobby is searching 'invested' in CL autos.

Ding!

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/3876618446.html

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 25, 2013

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Fucknag posted:

5 digit odometer? My truck's a 91 and it has 6 digits. What the hell Ford. Wonder if it rolled over.

I figured on a 94 it had to have rolled at least once.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Latest hobby is searching 'invested' in CL autos.

Ding!

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/3876618446.html

Well at least he got the base trim Eclipse level right.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Take solace in knowing the dickhead probably didn't even show up. This is craigslist after all.

I'm looking at out of budget hot rods in my grief.

1965 Ford Econoline Pickup GASSER STYLE - $17500 posted:

1965 Ford Econoline Pickup
Most folks look and aren't quite sure what they are seeing. See, these forward control Ford pickups appeared in 1961, then disappeared in 1967 -- most crushed or reduced to rusty flakes after a few years of service. A few got saved to live another day -- as reminders of some early days on the drag strips when these front heavy little haulers were transformed into wheel standing quarter mile crowd pleasers with names like the tailgate dragging "Little Yellow Wagon" with a 427 CID high rise mill in the bed, or the "Back Up Pick Up" that ran bed first with the cab looking down at the track. Far from the thrifty, business like little truck envisioned by Ford, this model was an iconic vision of the ingenuity of racers a half century ago.

Offered for sale is a street friendly version of the Econoline hot rod. This Gumby Green hauler gets plenty of go from a 347 CID small block Ford stroker that pumps out over 300 horsepower, and a 5 speed automatic overdrive transmission makes it easy to drive at freeway speed with the motor loafing leisurely about 2200 rpm. The truck looks so cool that crowds gather around wherever it comes to rest, and the bright exterior is no less impressive than the smooth, flawless, businesslike interior. There are no frills, to be sure, but this ride doesn't need them. Bigs and littles on 5 spoke Cragar wheels, a Moon fuel tank full of faux gas up front, and bright chrome bumpers, and a brushed aluminum spear decorating the sides give this little truck just the right look. This is definitely the way to Go Green.

There is no easy way to part with a ride this cool. Enough cash might persuade the seller to trade the clear California title for a stack of hundred dollar bills, or maybe a real interesting hot rod might be considered in trade. Maybe not. CASH TALKS LOUD!!!

CALL [redacted] if you have the money, permission from HER, and a desire to have one of the coolest little trucks anywhere.

I don't have the money, or permission from HER, but I would love to have a drink with this seller, goddamn. :cheers:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 25, 2013

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I found a guy selling a '98 VR6 GTI for $4400 that's in great shape with 90 thousand kilometres on it. Told him I'd make the 4 hour drive and give him 4 grand for it but he says he already agreed on a price with another dude. Hopefully he doesn't show but I'm not holding my breath.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Samu posted:

I found a guy selling a '98 VR6 GTI for $4400 that's in great shape with 90 thousand kilometres on it. Told him I'd make the 4 hour drive and give him 4 grand for it but he says he already agreed on a price with another dude. Hopefully he doesn't show but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't get this "agree on a price" business. The offer that actually shows up at my doorstep and puts cash in my hand is the only offer that exists, who gives a gently caress about some mealy-mouth on the phone/email? A car dealership isn't going to hold some car for me in the face of better offers just because I called them, with no monetary consideration or show of sincerness, why the gently caress would I?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DrPain posted:

I figured on a 94 it had to have rolled at least once.

This is really odd because I have a '94 Ford Ranger 4.0 (splash) and I have a 6 digit odometer.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

A car dealership isn't going to hold some car for me in the face of better offers just because I called them, with no monetary consideration or show of sincerness, why the gently caress would I?

Exactly. If the person is really interested, they should at least leave a deposit. Also, accepting a price over the phone from someone on craigslist or another online service? Hahaha, yeaaaaaah..

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

keykey posted:

Exactly. If the person is really interested, they should at least leave a deposit. Also, accepting a price over the phone from someone on craigslist or another online service? Hahaha, yeaaaaaah..

Leaving a deposit on a Craigslist sale sounds like a real fast way to lose a couple hundred bucks. Do you take the title as collateral and leave the keys and truck with the seller while you get the rest of your scratch together? That's about the only way I would ever feel comfortable doing that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For some old-fashioned people, negotiations done in good faith are binding. They don't have the experience with Craigslist that we do necessarily, so they don't always recognize that people will agree to a price over email/phone/whatever, and then 80% don't show up at all and another 15% show up with the expectation that they can still offer a lot less than what was agreed-upon.

So you get people who feel honor-bound to stick to their word, if they agreed to sell a thing for a given price to a stranger they spoke to for 3 minutes on the phone.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wasn't someone thinking of buying a Stealth or 3000 GT around here?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3888377397.html

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

blk posted:

Wasn't someone thinking of buying a Stealth or 3000 GT around here?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3888377397.html

It was me who had that terrible idea.

From this ad: "She has 4 Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Steering."

I certainly hope the rear tires stay nice and straight! :catstare:

e- It's also missing the sweet factory spoiler.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DrPain posted:

From this ad: "She has 4 Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Steering."

I certainly hope the rear tires stay nice and straight! :catstare:

You do know that those had a 4 wheel steering option, right? It's not necessarily a dumb seller.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Weinertron posted:

You do know that those had a 4 wheel steering option, right? It's not necessarily a dumb seller.

4 Wheel steering would be the first thing I removed from that car. Those systems are particularly heavy and it's just another thing to break.

So I've been in the market for a Volvo 240. I've come across a few decent deals, but this guy thinks his car is a god.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/3852864887.html

He has that "IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM :byodood:" mentality

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Weinertron posted:

WHAT!?! I um... wow... I'm so glad I didn't buy one of these.

It looks like it actively adjusts your toe-in at speed? Am I reading this right?

I bet parts for that system are like razor blade cartridges or printer ink expensive.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

You guys realize a lot of cars in the 90s came with 4 wheel steering, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HICAS

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell, GM put it on some trucks in the past decade or so.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I used to like the 4WS setup Honda had on the Prelude in the late 80s, all mechanical, no need to worry about computers or hydraulics

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hell, GM put it on some trucks in the past decade or so.

We have a chief's car Suburban 2500 with it. It's ridiculous.....you can back into one parking spot, crank the wheel to do a 180 and end up 2 spots away. In a freaking Suburban.

Talkes some getting used to when backing up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/3888438660.html

I wonder what "Outside rough" means and what the passenger side looks like.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

I wonder what "Outside rough" means

Well, to begin with the hood looks like it's matte.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

DrPain posted:

Leaving a deposit on a Craigslist sale sounds like a real fast way to lose a couple hundred bucks. Do you take the title as collateral and leave the keys and truck with the seller while you get the rest of your scratch together? That's about the only way I would ever feel comfortable doing that.

That's what checks are for. It's a commitment, yet you can still cancel it if the deal goes south so you don't get screwed.

blk posted:

I wonder what "Outside rough" means

It means it's a 20 ft vehicle. Looks OK at 20 ft, but get closer and you'll start to see all the imperfections.

keykey fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rcman50166 posted:

4 Wheel steering would be the first thing I removed from that car. Those systems are particularly heavy and it's just another thing to break.

Yeah. YEAH! I'm sure removing the 4-wheel Steering from the 3800 pound Psuedo-GT car will net you big weight and cost savings. With the money leftover you could buy a massively overrated Swedish sedan from 1987.