Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I saw this in the local paper, and wondered if everybody else thought this was as bizarre as I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Only because she's really not that good a singer.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I quite enjoyed the bike chases at the start. I don't know if they were better made back then or if they just got old when they started having one in every episode for no reason. Probably a bit of both.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Recursive posted:

I saw this in the local paper, and wondered if everybody else thought this was as bizarre as I do.

Wasn't there at least one SoA episode, maybe last season, that featured a not-great cover song that she did?

Katey Sagal: Renaissance Woman

edit: huh

quote:

Many people don't know that you used to be a backup singer for Bob Dylan and Bette Midler. What was that like?

That was how I made a living being a background singer for years. I was one of the Harlettes. Now if you go to see Bette's show the Harlettes are mostly dancers, but in the old days, when I worked with her it was really a vocal-heavy gig. So we did a lot of the singing behind her.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/katey-sagal-on-acting-and-singing-in-sons-of-anarchy-20111206#ixzz2QYduaBOv

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I just wanted to pop in here and say I, contrary to most goons, love this show. If I sat here judging shows for all the unrealistic bullshit that flies out of them, and furthermore quitting due to stupid plot holes, I'd probably never watch any TV at all. SoA, if taken for a fun show about a ruthless biker club, and not comparing it to Shakespeare and other poo poo, is a lot better. I also love Walking Dead, Dexter, Arrow, and other campy and unrealistic bullshit that is on TV nowadays. To each their own! v:shobon:v

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Recursive posted:

If memory serves, she started as a backup singer for Ike & Tina Turner (or maybe Tina solo). I remembered hearing about her moonlighting as a singer way back during Married With Children, and might have sung on a few episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, there's going to be a loving comic book

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46255

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Obscurity posted:

I just wanted to pop in here and say I, contrary to most goons, love this show. If I sat here judging shows for all the unrealistic bullshit that flies out of them, and furthermore quitting due to stupid plot holes, I'd probably never watch any TV at all. SoA, if taken for a fun show about a ruthless biker club, and not comparing it to Shakespeare and other poo poo, is a lot better. I also love Walking Dead, Dexter, Arrow, and other campy and unrealistic bullshit that is on TV nowadays. To each their own! v:shobon:v

I don't think anyone quit due to plot holes or it being unrealistic. In fact I think I'm the only person that quit the show or at least loudly declared it. The show started off with a good first season and amazing second and then just crap storytelling upon more crap. None of it was good drama. I quit because Opie was just so poo poo upon as a character that it made no sense at all and it was misuse of the awesome acting Ryan Hurst was providing. I legit have no idea what happened the rest of season 5 except for a transexual and Sutter literally masturbating on screen but none of it will draw me back. Sorry but your ~I'm cool because I go against goon opinion~ post is poo poo.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

I don't think anyone quit due to plot holes or it being unrealistic. In fact I think I'm the only person that quit the show or at least loudly declared it. The show started off with a good first season and amazing second and then just crap storytelling upon more crap. None of it was good drama. I quit because Opie was just so poo poo upon as a character that it made no sense at all and it was misuse of the awesome acting Ryan Hurst was providing. I legit have no idea what happened the rest of season 5 except for a transexual and Sutter literally masturbating on screen but none of it will draw me back. Sorry but your ~I'm cool because I go against goon opinion~ post is poo poo.

Someone enjoys the show I stopped watching? Better call them out!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I loved the show as pretty loving good TV in the first two seasons but I've continued to enjoy it as something else. I think the potential was there for this to be one of the best shows of all time but the ratings were getting high and there was a point where it became obvious that Sutter would rather have a high number of fans than critical praise.

He's a hard dude to figure out, but I think it's clear to me now that he'd rather have weekend riders love this show than TV critics.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Obscurity posted:

I enjoy the show for what it is, but I will probably be in this thread making fun of it come season premiere. A close friend of mine thinks it's one of the best dramas on TV, close behind Breaking Bad. Can't say I agree with him, but oh well.

I'm such a sucker for campy shows and movies. :negative:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, despite everything bad I've said about it, I still enjoy the show on some level, as I wouldn't waste my time hate-watching a show or whatever. And it's not a case of so-bad-it's-good either, since it's not car-crash bad enough for that (although it has got close a few times). I guess I just like the Outlaw Biker aesthetic; have some misguided hope that it might possibly return to some kind of form; and still care about some characters, although I'm not sure who, now that Oppie has gone. Let's say Chibbs.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
This is one of those shows I enjoy for the most part when I'm watching it but later come into this thread to rubberneck at the live chat mocking of it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't mind the show. It got a bit dumber and more "out there" as the seasons went on but I still think it's good entertainment

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Said it before but it's the A-Team on motorcycles, and that hasn't changed yet.

A part of me will always pointless bike chase sequences set to generic buttrock, and as long as the show delivers on that front, I'm good.

e: the show would be a lot more well-regarded if it was more episodic like Justified instead of completely serialized. There wouldn't be as much pressure on the writers to come up with increasingly dumb conceits to get from plot point A to plot point B every week.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 28, 2013

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
Wow, so I'm going to against apparently every person on this thread and say I love Sons of Anarchy. LIke I mean, all 5 seasons. I felt like season three dragged out what should have been like a 3-4 episode plot into a whole season. And 5 was slightly weak, but overall I really loved the series which I binged through the past few weeks.

I don't get all the hate on this thread. It seems like everyone acts like season 1 and 2 were some form of high art, but then descended into a trashy soap opera after that. WTF? I honestly found the show to be pretty ridiculous from the start, that gradually and realistically (within the universe of the show) got more ridiculous as it went on. Maybe I was watching it for different reasons as everyone else, but drat if I wasn't entertained for 65 or however many episodes. I really wish I would have planned this better and waited another 2 more months to watch this, because drat September 11 can't come fast enough! Between this, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire holy poo poo September is going to be amazing!!!

EDIT: Also, <3 Kurt Sutter. And <3 Otto. He was such a cartoony character from the beginning, it only seemed logical the next thing to have him do in season 5 was have him jerk it in front of Tara.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Did you watch them on a binge? This show works better that way. In between episodes most of this thread didnt have anything to do but read kurt sutter tweets where he calls people cunts.

edit: you did. There ya go.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
All the hate is from the death of Opie, that's all. That said, my favorite season BY FAR was season 4. In there we fully got to see Clay become a full on villain (Dealing with Cartels, beating the gently caress out of Gemma, Piney, the truth about J.T., etc) while it also had the most gritty feel throughout each episode too.

Opie's death didn't really bother me that much. My problem with season 5 was that it just felt completely dragged out. There was really no central plot at all except with Clay still being up to no good, which was basically a plot point in the previous season. Damon Pope was just a joke that was clearly put in there with the intention of imitating the persona of the ultimate badass kingpin of Gus Fring or something. I will concede though that the S5 finale set up some really interesting story arcs though, with Lee Toric/Otto in particular. That alone has me looking forward to S6.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

RichardDunn posted:

I don't get all the hate on this thread. It seems like everyone acts like season 1 and 2 were some form of high art, but then descended into a trashy soap opera after that.

Season 1 and 2 were a lot better, yes.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Devour posted:

Damon Pope was just a joke that was clearly put in there with the intention of imitating the persona of the ultimate badass kingpin of Gus Fring or something.

I really disagree with this upon re-watching it. Damon Pope is part of the mentoring process Jax undergoes. He's got Nero trying to get him out of the game and Pope trying to bring out Jax's inner gangster potential. Viewed through this lens, Opie's death takes on more significance in Jax's life.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Dead Snoopy posted:

I really disagree with this upon re-watching it. Damon Pope is part of the mentoring process Jax undergoes. He's got Nero trying to get him out of the game and Pope trying to bring out Jax's inner gangster potential. Viewed through this lens, Opie's death takes on more significance in Jax's life.
I guess. But Damon Pope's death had to have been the most anti-climatic death scene in the show. I understand why they killed him off, otherwise Sutter knew the people bitching about Opie's demise already like a few in this thread would just never shut up forever. It just seemed a little off-putting after they spent a whole season explaining how many connections he had in both the criminal & legal worlds to have just be shot dead like that in the middle of nowhere with only two bodyguards with him. I don't know.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Popes death had a huge purpose. Jax did it in such a way that it looks like it was Clay. Now all Pope's connections are going to come after Clay. Jax is trying to get rid of an enemy by getting someone else to kill him or at least run him out of town.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

KilGrey posted:

Popes death had a huge purpose. Jax did it in such a way that it looks like it was Clay. Now all Pope's connections are going to come after Clay. Jax is trying to get rid of an enemy by getting someone else to kill him or at least run him out of town.
Yeah, true. Speaking of which, anyone know if Damon Pope's number two guy will be returning for season 6? August Marks or whatever?

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

KilGrey posted:

Except that Clay will convince the Secret Service to protect him in exchange for selling guns to the Russians in order to take down Cuba

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

deep space nein posted:

Except that Clay will convince the Secret Service to protect him in exchange for selling guns to the Russians in order to take down Cuba

Yeah, but then Jax will make a deal in season 7 with the United Nations NWO black helicopter army to take down Clay, the corrupt Secret Service agents and the President who's using drug violence for his own malevolent ends!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah, but then Jax will make a deal in season 7 with the United Nations NWO black helicopter army to take down Clay, the corrupt Secret Service agents and the President who's using drug violence for his own malevolent ends!

The show will end with Clay being the second in command of North korea and Jax driving his motorcycle gang through the demilitarised zone to get to Clay. Bobby will die when accidentally drives over a land mine.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a scene in Season 4 where as a result of doing business with the Cartels or something that somehow the SoA ended up supplying Al-Qaeda with weapons unintentionally?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Devour posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a scene in Season 4 where as a result of doing business with the Cartels or something that somehow the SoA ended up supplying Al-Qaeda with weapons unintentionally?

I think the Chinese guys they were buying weapons from were getting them from Hezbollah.

So, if I've got this right, SoA were selling Hezbollah weapons (like advanced rocket launchers lol) that they bought from the Chinese mafia to a Cartel that was run by the CIA. Yeah.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Devour posted:

No, it was Hamas in late Season 1/early Season 2, I think. Also, Hamas doesn't sell weapons- they usually buy them.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

suboptimal posted:

No, it was Hamas in late Season 1/early Season 2, I think. Also, Hamas doesn't sell weapons- they usually buy them.
Yeah, buying is what I implied, not selling.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see who's going to be hunting Clay for that $5 million bounty.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
let me give you a hint...they're gonna have black skin.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Dead Snoopy posted:

let me give you a hint...they're gonna have black skin.
Didn't Pope say that it would be independent contractors that would be collecting the $5 million instead of his own henchmen?

Devour fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 24, 2013

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

No. This is clearly the way that Sutter intends to introduce next season's main adversary- the Nigerian Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Devour posted:

Didn't Pope say that it would be independent contractors that would be collecting the $5 million instead of his own henchmen?

I'm sure Pope's own people would find a loop hole in this.

Bradeh
Jul 24, 2013

quote:

"Sons of Anarchy" has traditionally debuted in the fall on FX, and that pattern will continue this year with the sixth season premiering on Tuesday, September 10 at 10 p.m.

It'll be another 90-minute episode for the motorcycle club drama; FX gives a lot of creative leeway in general with its shows, and especially to its most popular one, which last year did several 90-minute installments.

Can't wait.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bradeh posted:

Can't wait.

Why lie? They should just tell people the truth, this will be a 52 minute episode and everyone watching it legally is going to be force fed 38 minutes of commercials for lovely beer and crappy motorcycles.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hell no there'll be an extra 20 minutes of unrelated motorcycle chases scored to whatever buttrock song was last playing on Kurt Sutter's ipod.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

comes along bort posted:

Hell no there'll be an extra 20 minutes of unrelated motorcycle chases scored to whatever buttrock song was last playing on Kurt Sutter's ipod.

Or a ten minute montage at the end with Katey butchering another cover.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The butt rock is one of my favorite things about the show. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

Bradeh posted:

Can't wait.
Yeah. The official Season 6 Synopsis:

quote:

"Having framed Clay for the murder of Damon Pope, Season Six begins with Jax's leadership uncontested, but his family life suffering from his single-minded pursuit of John Teller's vision. Jax must find a way to keep Tara from going to prison for conspiracy to commit murder while rebuilding his club and breaking from the cycle of violence and greed that ultimately led to his best friend's death."
The story arcs focusing on Clay & Lee Toric have me pretty juiced in particular.

• Locked thread