Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

well, there's also the case that if you try hard enough, you can probably still squeeze a lot out of jpeg by making a new jpeg encoder that has a bunch of the recent r&d.

thats what these guys do http://www.jpegmini.com/

they built a new jpeg encoder that works really well

hmm this is neat but it's still essentially the equivalent of taking x264's psy optimizations and sticking them into jpeg

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
caught the intro to dark knight on tbs yesterday

man they sucked ALL of the dynamic range out of that bitch. shotguns and voices were exactly the same level. kind of impressive really

(yes i had the dynamic range control options off)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
tbs did you mean? the dynamic range on the actual dts or whatever mix is pretty good

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Quine Connoisseur posted:

tbs did you mean? the dynamic range on the actual dts or whatever mix is pretty good

tbs as in turner broadcasting systems the channel

im no loudness war nazi but man that sucked the life right out of that scene

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
what are the pros and cons between DTS and Dolby Digital? is there any thats really better than the other?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

naw

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

tbs as in turner broadcasting systems the channel

im no loudness war nazi but man that sucked the life right out of that scene

yeah i know what tbs is you boob

everything on a cable/satellite network is usually compressed to poo poo anyway (by the provider though i guess) so its really not worth watching most of the time

e:

Cubemario posted:

what are the pros and cons between DTS and Dolby Digital? is there any thats really better than the other?

file sizes might be slightly different, but no

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 23, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
dts is loving bunk poo poo for assholes

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
bbbbbbbut the dynamic range

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
use high bitrate AAC for everything

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

flyboi posted:

bbbbbbbut the dynamic range

i read a few years ago that dts mixes in general had a louder average level than dd mixes, hence "it sounds better"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
dolby digital really does it right imo since the software has compression or volume leveling built in so you can reduce the dynamic range at will with relatively little loss of total quality. post processing volume level can work ok but sooner or later you're going to hear it working the volume up and down and that annoys me greatly :spergin:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what he said ^^^

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
b-b-but dts is the official Steven Spielberg-approved digital sound system.

jurassic park was the first movie i saw with dts, and the theater manager actually came in before the movie started and warned everyone that due to the use of "digital sound" the sound effects would be really loud, and if anyone wanted to go see a non-dts showing the theater would be happy to change their ticket.

it was really awesome, the t-rex was loud as gently caress. like, you watch the movie on bluray or DVD or whatever today and are like, "why are they covering their ears when the t-rex roars?" but when i saw it with dts back when the movie came out that fucker was SUPER loving LOUD while the voices were all still at normal volume, and everyone was like :monocle:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Doc Block posted:

b-b-but dts is the official Steven Spielberg-approved digital sound system.

jurassic park was the first movie i saw with dts, and the theater manager actually came in before the movie started and warned everyone that due to the use of "digital sound" the sound effects would be really loud, and if anyone wanted to go see a non-dts showing the theater would be happy to change their ticket.

it was really awesome, the t-rex was loud as gently caress. like, you watch the movie on bluray or DVD or whatever today and are like, "why are they covering their ears when the t-rex roars?" but when i saw it with dts back when the movie came out that fucker was SUPER loving LOUD while the voices were all still at normal volume, and everyone was like :monocle:

dts as a method of getting digital sound when syncing a cd with film was the best option was fine. the home version...eh. nothing to get a boner about

i've set up a few home theaters that could replicate that dynamic range pretty well. there was the 7.1 klipsch system that used rf-20s for the mains and some of the larger bookshelves as the surrounds and rears with a matched center. topped it with a paradigm servo-15. we tested it with the fast and the furious (this was a while ago) and it sounded like cars were driving through the room...in imaging and in sheer volume :unsmigghh:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah except that people think that louder in dB = Sounds better

so uh...its great because it was turned the gently caress up?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

yeah except that people think that louder in dB = Sounds better

so uh...its great because it was turned the gently caress up?

yeah but that's kind of the point of klipsch, they're meant to be able to fill a large space on relatively modest power with little or no compression. sure there are more linear speakers but that's not why you buy gigantic horn loaded behemoths now is it???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
why cant i hear dialogue in netflix but explosions r loud i have 2 speakers and me thing is set to stereo pleas help. i have a onkyo head unit thing that is meant for music i think. it has speak outputs for PHONO, CD, TAPE1, TAPE2. my spoeaker r jbl things

do i need a headunit and a center channel 4 dialogue? if so, is there a modestly priced head unit and speaker thing. tia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

why cant i hear dialogue in netflix but explosions r loud i have 2 speakers and me thing is set to stereo pleas help. i have a onkyo head unit thing that is meant for music i think. it has speak outputs for PHONO, CD, TAPE1, TAPE2. my spoeaker r jbl things

do i need a headunit and a center channel 4 dialogue? if so, is there a modestly priced head unit and speaker thing. tia

because netflix doesn't have to adhere to the CALM act so they just poo poo audio out however they want

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smythe posted:

go to the title in netflix, look for audio and subtitles options. select 2 channel stereo because netdix defaults to surround and i guess won't downmix?? i had the same problem with my wdtv

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thnk u :tipshat:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Saw this in the pic thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

just goes to show how far behind I am.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

jpeg artifacts blah blah
          /

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

/

Please don't post my OKCupid profile pic.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

has anyone ever had avidemux, um, work

every time i try to do something like cut a file up or apart or anything it just shits everything all up

why no i didnt want that to be in sync, thank you avidemux

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does anyone make a tuner that takes in ATSC/QAM and outputs HDMI, and can be sent channel changing signals over HDMI LIKE GOD INTENDED?

Sorta like all those $40 americanski-subsidized converter boxes but HDMI instead?

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

has anyone ever had avidemux, um, work

every time i try to do something like cut a file up or apart or anything it just shits everything all up

why no i didnt want that to be in sync, thank you avidemux
Using 2.5.6 ?

It's technically the last stable version and the last version with the drat queue/jobs system working but sometimes using the latest does help keep things in sync, especially when cutting and joining a lot of AAC.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 27, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Does anyone make a tuner that takes in ATSC/QAM and outputs HDMI, and can be sent channel changing signals over HDMI LIKE GOD INTENDED?

yes, Scientific Atlanta a division of Cisco Systems

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shaggar posted:

yes, Scientific Atlanta a division of Cisco Systems
That's not a cable box I have to rent from the cable company?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably a TiVo, you'd have to check the specs tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

You can take the finest 24/48K recordings and play them back 3dB quieter than the shittiest 128K MP3 and 80% of people would tell you that the 128K MP3 "sounds better"

people equate loudness with betterness.

thats a true fact.

my balls are so itchy i have to use one hand to pull my scrote tite while i use the other to scratch and i think its damaging them

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

my balls are so itchy i have to use one hand to pull my scrote tite while i use the other to scratch and i think its damaging them

have you tried a corticosteroid or perhaps not loving sheep

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CRT chat is happening in the nes dev thread

Wth where's gentoo...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

CRT chat is happening in the nes dev thread

Wth where's gentoo...

quick, someone start talking about secam

jackdh4x0r
Jun 8, 2005

I've got an eighteen minute window.
get off my front porch before i 3.579545mhz all over your face

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Woah there sassy video engineer

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

get schooled here nerds

History of AR.
https://vimeo.com/68830569

skip to :35

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

get schooled here nerds

History of AR.

thanks for this. I saw How the West was Won @ the Cinerama Dome (in Cinerama) in Hollywood a while ago and it was incredible.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Sorta like all those $40 americanski-subsidized converter boxes but HDMI instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027

seems so

i have no idea if this si poo poo but fwiw i had a kworld capture card a few years ago that worked without complaint for as long as i had it. i only took it out because it messed with pro tools but that's probably more on pro tools being a complete diva than anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

get schooled here nerds

History of AR.

pro

• Locked thread