Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Hollows are Spanish based.

edit: I'm not up enough on WWII history to know what that does for the analogy

Still works. The spanish were early axis allies before bowing out quickly. Guernica was inspired by their involvement in ww2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

To complicate things more, Fullbringers are Soul English (American?). But no one cares about them anyway.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

|Ziggy| posted:

They're stealing bankais not shikais, why would they only be able to use the form they didn't steal?

I meant use in addition to the Bankai (I said "also.")

Characters who've had their Bankai stolen don't seem to have access to Shikai either. Hyourinmaru falls silent after Hitsugaya's Bankai is stolen; he can't communicate with it at all anymore.

They call it "stealing Bankai," but it seems like they're actually stealing all of their Zanpakuto abilities and reverting them to an Asauchi state.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The_Frag_Man posted:

I don't like the Quincy alphabet warriors. They are all super lame. They suck. What the hell is Kubo thinking?

The Shinigami captain reveal was sick.
The Team-Aizen reveal was terrific.

These new Quincy guys just suck, I think hashwalt and bach are ok, but the rest are poo poo.

I don't know, As Nodt is legitimately pretty awesome. I like the dude that fought Shunsui too. The rest are kind of boring and generic, but I thought that of much of the espada too.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I liked the Overkill guy only because he was pretty drat :smug: about stealing that 1st division lieutenant's bankai, which only made his death at the hands of Yamamoto far more hilarious and :black101:.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I like the dude that fought Shunsui too.

Guessing that that guy is C and one of the more important ones.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Zogundar posted:

I meant use in addition to the Bankai (I said "also.")

Characters who've had their Bankai stolen don't seem to have access to Shikai either. Hyourinmaru falls silent after Hitsugaya's Bankai is stolen; he can't communicate with it at all anymore.

They call it "stealing Bankai," but it seems like they're actually stealing all of their Zanpakuto abilities and reverting them to an Asauchi state.

Whats his face that Byakuya fought also made a remark to the effect that you cant beat your own bankai with only your shikai though. I am not so sure that they don't have shikai.

Hudlinkin
Dec 31, 2007

Zyla posted:

Still works. The spanish were early axis allies before bowing out quickly. Guernica was inspired by their involvement in ww2

The Spanish were actually neutral during WWII, although they we closer to the Axis than Allies. Guernica was during the earlier Spanish Civil War, where the winning Nationalists were heavily supported by the Nazis, who used the war to test out their own military tech in preparation for WWII

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

JoeCL posted:

Whats his face that Byakuya fought also made a remark to the effect that you cant beat your own bankai with only your shikai though. I am not so sure that they don't have shikai.

Maybe he meant other Shinigami's Shikai? I don't think I saw Byakuya use his Shikai after his Bankai was stolen..

If they can still use Shikai it's odd that Hitsugaya would start training vanilla sword techniques instead of doing something with his Shikai.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
As Nodt and Commisioner Gordon are pretty badass, I think there's some potenetial for BG9 and Bambietta to be cool and mask de masculine is loving hilarious, but, yeah, there's a lot of lame Sternritter so far.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I was expecting a bit more from Kubo after these last few months, he's been hitting it out of the park but then we get Generic Villain #16, a brash punk type with crazy hair who talks down to others and has something to prove, but is ultimately silenced by a stern (lol) figure with implications that he's by far not the strongest.

I think this is a good time to measure out expectations with the reminder that Kubo is ultimately a hack.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked Bazz-B.

For the most part I am liking the Stern Ritter. Now I just want to know what happened to Shaz Domino the guy that I am guessing is Stern Ritter M for Manipulator.

Also I am guessing A is for Almighty.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

VJeff posted:

As Nodt and Commisioner Gordon are pretty badass, I think there's some potenetial for BG9 and Bambietta to be cool and mask de masculine is loving hilarious, but, yeah, there's a lot of lame Sternritter so far.

for a fraction of a second I thought BG9 might be anthropomorphic like Komamura. But then I went naaaaaah

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked Bazz-B.

For the most part I am liking the Stern Ritter. Now I just want to know what happened to Shaz Domino the guy that I am guessing is Stern Ritter M for Manipulator.

Ichigo loving murdered Shaz Domino in about 2 seconds after getting to Soul Society.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

hagie posted:

for a fraction of a second I thought BG9 might be anthropomorphic like Komamura. But then I went naaaaaah

He takes off his helmet after meeting Rukia

is actually KAIEN

*edit*

On that topic, do we even have any idea who attacked Rukia during the invasion?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked Bazz-B.

Shaz Domino got straight-up murdered mid-sentence with a big dumb :smug: look on his face.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Zogundar posted:

Maybe he meant other Shinigami's Shikai? I don't think I saw Byakuya use his Shikai after his Bankai was stolen..

If they can still use Shikai it's odd that Hitsugaya would start training vanilla sword techniques instead of doing something with his Shikai.

Right after Hitsugaya's bankai was stolen he immediately stopped hearing Hyourinmaru speaking to him. With that being the case it's pretty likely that whatever connection they had with their zanpakutou is severed. So it's probably more likely that the shinigami have their sword's spirit taken away and thus lose their bankai.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SerSpook posted:

I don't know, As Nodt is legitimately pretty awesome. I like the dude that fought Shunsui too. The rest are kind of boring and generic, but I thought that of much of the espada too.
As Nodt was pretty darn cool during his fight with Byakuya with the fear stuff, but any coolness he had took a major hit when he got one-shotted by Yamamoto a few chapters later. I realize Yamamoto is the #1, so it makes sense, but it was still a shame that a character who was built up so much so recently just got turned into only one of three in a group of fodder shortly after with no transition. I'm sure it was intended to show Yamamoto's power, but it's also taken most of the tension out of As Nodt's next fight as I don't see him as a threat anymore due to how that scene played out.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008

Advice posted:

Yeah I was expecting a bit more from Kubo after these last few months, he's been hitting it out of the park but then we get Generic Villain #16, a brash punk type with crazy hair who talks down to others and has something to prove, but is ultimately silenced by a stern (lol) figure with implications that he's by far not the strongest.

I think this is a good time to measure out expectations with the reminder that Kubo is ultimately a hack.

A lot of his characters are like this. Renji before he becomes a "good guy", Grimmjow, and numerous others. It's the easiest and laziest way for the ominous stern figure to establish a character as a badass in the eyes of the reader. I read somewhere that the easiest way for a new character to establish street cred in the Marvel Universe is to beat up on Wolverine. I guess this is the manga equivalent.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bacontotem posted:

Everyone is going to have Egg on thier face when it turns out Aizen has been tricking everyone into thinking he's Bach since the prison visit.

he really misses his couch

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

As Nodt was pretty darn cool during his fight with Byakuya with the fear stuff, but any coolness he had took a major hit when he got one-shotted by Yamamoto a few chapters later. I realize Yamamoto is the #1, so it makes sense, but it was still a shame that a character who was built up so much so recently just got turned into only one of three in a group of fodder shortly after with no transition. I'm sure it was intended to show Yamamoto's power, but it's also taken most of the tension out of As Nodt's next fight as I don't see him as a threat anymore due to how that scene played out.

To be fair Yamamoto could have single handedly wiped out the entire Sternritter aside from Ywach.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Thoren posted:

To be fair Yamamoto could have single handedly wiped out everyone.

At least, if he didn't have the crippling flaw of being Yamamoto.

Seriously, losing to Yama shouldn't reduce anyone's legitimacy as a villain since nearly every battle he's been in consisted of him dominating completely.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For God's sake, he was the first one to legitimately hit Aizen in the entire manga. And oh yeah, did I mention that he did this while lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood after tanking a nuclear explosion to the face?

Yamamoto has been punked two times in this manga - both of those times were when his own powers were stolen and turned against him. That should tell you enough.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 28, 2013

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008
I like As Nodt. Kinda reminds me of Hunter Hunter.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

VJeff posted:

For God's sake, he was the first one to legitimately hit Aizen in the entire manga. And oh yeah, did I mention that he did this while lying on the ground in a pool of his own blood after tanking a nuclear explosion to the face?

Yamamoto has been punked two times in this manga - both of those times were when his own powers were stolen and turned against him. That should tell you enough.

Shinji hit him first :smugbert:.

Wasn't an illusion, Ichigo came through the wormhole right after and swung at Aizen.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah I gotta say Shinji is my favorite character and I had high hopes for him and his release ability, and I was not disappointed. Landing the first hit on the most ridiculously overpowered bad guy in the series before getting completely chumped like everyone else is as much as I really could have asked for. Meanwhile Hitsugaya, a supposed fan favorite with a backstory half dedicated entirely to beating Aizen in a rematch manages to do absolutely nothing other than nearly kill his childhood friend.

Re:Yamamoto

You'd really think someone would have taken him out earlier, sure his power is insane but as two villains pointed out, between his pride and his arrogance it takes very little planning to completely turn his immense destructive power against him.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Advice posted:

You'd really think someone would have taken him out earlier, sure his power is insane but as two villains pointed out, between his pride and his arrogance it takes very little planning to completely turn his immense destructive power against him.

Two villains whose whole gig is essentially complete and utter technical dominance over and psychological warfare against enemies. For 99.99% of all the other fighters out there having a power level of infinity pretty much trumps anything they can do.

Even Aizen had to engineer an Arrancar for the specific purpose of taking on Yama, and even then it was just to contain his zanpakuto, and *even then* it was a challenge.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

treeboy posted:

Two villains whose whole gig is essentially complete and utter technical dominance over and psychological warfare against enemies. For 99.99% of all the other fighters out there having a power level of infinity pretty much trumps anything they can do.

Even Aizen had to engineer an Arrancar for the specific purpose of taking on Yama, and even then it was just to contain his zanpakuto, and *even then* it was a challenge.

And keep in mind this is someone who can normally just overpower even the most broken and obtuse of abilities like Soi Fon's shikai. Even he feared Yama in a direct combat scenario and decided to take him out using technology instead of face him in combat or try and fool him using his reality altering powers (though god knows why on that second one).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

And keep in mind this is someone who can normally just overpower even the most broken and obtuse of abilities like Soi Fon's shikai. Even he feared Yama in a direct combat scenario and decided to take him out using technology instead of face him in combat or try and fool him using his reality altering powers (though god knows why on that second one).

Turns out hiding yourself and fooling senses isn't immensely effective against a person who can drop flaming nukes at will and has no qualms about vaping his own subordinates, multiple city blocks, and himself as long as it takes you out.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

tsob posted:

...or try and fool him using his reality altering powers (though god knows why on that second one).

It's really hard to trick someone into missing with an AOE that goes out in all directions for quite a ways, and I wouldn't put it past Yama to sacrifice some subordinates to make sure a threat like Aizen is put down. Considering what we know about Yama's bankai I would think that Aizen made the correct move in sealing his powers.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: Yeah I have no idea how this post happened, this is what I get for posting in the middle of a golf game.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

try and fool him using his reality altering powers (though god knows why on that second one).

The command word isn't "Reduce some creation to ash.".

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2013

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Quote is not edit.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone else get the weird feeling that Ikumi (Ichigo's boss) is a Shiba? She kind of looks like Kuukaku, has the same type of energy we see in a lot of Shiba, and basically treats him like family.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SerSpook posted:

Anyone else get the weird feeling that Ikumi (Ichigo's boss) is a Shiba? She kind of looks like Kuukaku, has the same type of energy we see in a lot of Shiba, and basically treats him like family.

You have a point, but on the other hand, Kubo and sameface.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I have a suspicion we won't see Ichigo's Bankai for a while if he's no longer being suppressed his Shikai should be stronger than his Bankai + Mask combo. Similar to Ichigo using his bare hands to take out 3 lieutenants in the Rukia arc and only using it to take on the big bad.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think there's an honest question to if Ichigo even has bankai right now. Renji too. With their swords being reforged, they may need to redo it, and that's not even getting into the fact that Ichigo never materialized and defeated the true Zangetsu. True, he beat the entity suppressing Zangetsu, which could be considered the same thing, but we don't know if that counts.

One of the next two Royal Guard may have invented bankai, and will have a surefire way of quickly gaining it. This will be what Urahara based his dummies on, much like he based his healing spring on the first Royal Guard.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SerSpook posted:

I think there's an honest question to if Ichigo even has bankai right now. Renji too. With their swords being reforged, they may need to redo it, and that's not even getting into the fact that Ichigo never materialized and defeated the true Zangetsu. True, he beat the entity suppressing Zangetsu, which could be considered the same thing, but we don't know if that counts.

One of the next two Royal Guard may have invented bankai, and will have a surefire way of quickly gaining it. This will be what Urahara based his dummies on, much like he based his healing spring on the first Royal Guard.

The last one is the chump who invented kido :smith:

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

Shugojin posted:

The last one is the chump who invented kido :smith:

Confirmation that we're skipping the last guard's training.

Alas, we'll all miss the big reveal of "Since when were you under the impression that kido only reaches 100?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

Rynder posted:

Confirmation that we're skipping the last guard's training.

Alas, we'll all miss the big reveal of "Since when were you under the impression that kido only reaches 100?"

Well, to be fair it's awfully convenient there are 100 spells. Why not 103, or 237, or 612?

• Locked thread