Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

monster on a stick posted:

I'm torn between the G500 and G700. I have this kind of ergonomic shape at work and like it, so something a bit more 'game friendly' would be a bonus. Even though I have too many cables as it is, it looks like the G500 is probably the better product.

Thoughts?

The G500 is better (from a weight/shape standpoint, to me at least) unless you just need wireless for some reason. Both are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm on my second g500 (my first one got that double click problem about two months ago) and I love it. My first one lasted a good 4 years, and is probably still useable since the double click issue cleared up right after logitech shipped my new one. I find it fits my hand really nicely if I palm it, but it also works when i decide to use more of a claw-y grip, too.

Dogen posted:

The G500 is better (from a weight/shape standpoint, to me at least) unless you just need wireless for some reason. Both are good.

Thanks, I think I will go for that one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I should have known this would happen - I post about how happy I've always been with my G700 and now the left mouse button is dying. I've plugged the receiver into a new USB slot, blown air under the button and even installed FixMouseLMB that stops unwanted double clicks (I've had to mash the button because it's so unresponsive :(), but it's no use.

Now I'm looking at spending Aus$150 if I buy a G700S locally or Aus$120 from overseas, but with all the added hassle if something goes wrong with the mouse.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ugh, I just got a Performance MX for relatively cheap ($62+tax) and it's mostly a step back from the MX Revolution. Too chunky at the base, the thumb buttons are angled upwards just to make them harder to press, and the third button on the mouse wheel needs to be pressed at exactly the right angle or it doesn't register. The laser is much better and USB charging is handy, but the scroll wheel on the Revolution was so much better.

Speaking of which, what is the point of those buttons below the scroll wheel? Usually the tip of my index finger rests above and to the left of the scroll wheel on the left button and my middle finger sits across from it on the right button, so how am I supposed to press the drat thing?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gorilla Salad posted:

I should have known this would happen - I post about how happy I've always been with my G700 and now the left mouse button is dying. I've plugged the receiver into a new USB slot, blown air under the button and even installed FixMouseLMB that stops unwanted double clicks (I've had to mash the button because it's so unresponsive :(), but it's no use.

Now I'm looking at spending Aus$150 if I buy a G700S locally or Aus$120 from overseas, but with all the added hassle if something goes wrong with the mouse.

How old is it? If you've had it since launch you may have a tough sell, but if it hasn't lasted a reasonable* period of time the store that sold it to you is legally obligated to give you a refund or replacement. (If you have proof of purchase)

*There is no real definition of what is reasonable, but most decent stores are sufficiently unwilling to incur the $25000 fine for refusing to give you a refund that you should be able to make them give in with a few threats. The ACCC has been on the warpath lately when it comes to retailers refusing to provide refunds and replacements, they are looking for people to make examples of.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I bought it right after they were first released, so about 3 years I think. Still, that's 3 years of being used just about every day for several hours so it's had a pretty good run. Just a pity Logitech hasn't released anything really new and innovative in all that time.

The G700S, from what I can see, is just the G700 but with stripes painted on it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Dunno how good Logitech support is in Australia but they might give you a coupon or something.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Sounds like a thing I need, anyone has some experience with this?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I bought it right after they were first released, so about 3 years I think. Still, that's 3 years of being used just about every day for several hours so it's had a pretty good run. Just a pity Logitech hasn't released anything really new and innovative in all that time.

The G700S, from what I can see, is just the G700 but with stripes painted on it.

I think the reason for that is because since the G5 line, their gaming mice have been really popular and continue to be really popular and so they apply the 'don't fix what isn't broken' mantra. I personally really like that they do, because if I have a choice, I only ever use the G5s/G500/G500s line of mice, and replacing what was once a $50 mouse is now a couple hundred dollars on the side of uncomfortably.

Anyway, they are super great mice and while I'm guessing there are a few people who would really like to see a change, I appreciate how similar they are between generations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

Thanks, I think I will go for that one.

It just arrived, and I love the G500 so far. Very ergonomic, the weights are cool, nice and responsive, what's not to like?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

eXXon posted:

Ugh, I just got a Performance MX for relatively cheap ($62+tax) and it's mostly a step back from the MX Revolution. Too chunky at the base, the thumb buttons are angled upwards just to make them harder to press, and the third button on the mouse wheel needs to be pressed at exactly the right angle or it doesn't register. The laser is much better and USB charging is handy, but the scroll wheel on the Revolution was so much better.

Speaking of which, what is the point of those buttons below the scroll wheel? Usually the tip of my index finger rests above and to the left of the scroll wheel on the left button and my middle finger sits across from it on the right button, so how am I supposed to press the drat thing?

The third button "bedded in" for me, I don't know whether it became easier to press or my finger just adjusted slightly to hit it right. As for the scroll wheel, I think they switched from metal to plastic, it's a lot cheaper feeling than the old one, but it's much better than the G700 one which for me was loose to the point of useless (the weight seemed completely off, it would nearly always scroll slightly in the opposite direction when stopping, and would randomly scroll when moving the mouse as well).

With regards to buttons below the scroll wheel, I only have one which is the hyperscroll mechanical switch. Pretty obvious what it does. Are you sure you don't have a G700 which has a DPI switch below the hyperscroll button?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Func MS-3 arrived for my cakeday (thank you modebriser)! Just plugged it in and my spindly spider fingers are much happier compared to the G500, which was a bit too narrow for my tastes. This is just one sexy mouse.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Its a fantastic mouse. I mailed mine back to Newegg on saturday for a replacement because of the wire resetting the mouse if it straightened out where it goes into the mouse. I had to have it bent to one side or it would reset constantly. I'm really hoping its replaced quickly, I miss it already

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Does anybody with Windows 8 have the Func MS-3? I read that there were driver issues with it, but I read conflicting things about the causes. Some reports said it was Fast Boot, which might be an issue for me if I get a new computer, and others said it was lovely Xonar drivers conflicting, which I don't care about.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 27, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

dpbjinc posted:

Does anybody with Windows 8 have the Func MS-3? I read that there were driver issues with it, but I read conflicting things about the causes. Some reports said it was Fast Boot, which might be an issue for me if I get a new computer, and others said it was lovely Xonar drivers conflicting, which I don't care about.

I just plugged a new one into my Windows 8.1 machine yesterday. Other than a slightly longer than normal delay to get it going initially (~20 seconds), I haven't had an issue. I'm on a brand new machine as of last week though, so I haven't had much time to accumulate legacy crap.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Anyone have any recommendations for a mouse pad? Mine is getting kind of gross, and now that summer and humid weather is here I'm debating switching from cloth to plastic.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Always loved my RatPadz plastic mousepad. I'm sure a lot of stuff has come out since I got it years ago though. Razer Goliathus all the way for cloth.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

tk posted:

I just plugged a new one into my Windows 8.1 machine yesterday. Other than a slightly longer than normal delay to get it going initially (~20 seconds), I haven't had an issue. I'm on a brand new machine as of last week though, so I haven't had much time to accumulate legacy crap.

One thing that still concerns me is the configuration utility. I heard that it requires you to disable driver signature enforcement to run, and I don't really trust the support from a company that doesn't put up the effort to sign their drivers. Can anybody confirm if that's the case, or does the program work out-of-the-box?

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
Anyone have experience with a Corsair mouse? I had a Steelseries that went crazy on me, so I'm looking at the new Raptor M30 that comes out next week. Just want to make sure it's a bit more durable than it's predecessor.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

dpbjinc posted:

One thing that still concerns me is the configuration utility. I heard that it requires you to disable driver signature enforcement to run, and I don't really trust the support from a company that doesn't put up the effort to sign their drivers. Can anybody confirm if that's the case, or does the program work out-of-the-box?

Worked out of the box for me.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

TheQat posted:

Always loved my RatPadz plastic mousepad. I'm sure a lot of stuff has come out since I got it years ago though. Razer Goliathus all the way for cloth.
I loved it until it wore the gently caress out after 5-6 years and became flat plastic and had different levels of friction in different areas :(

Steelseries 4HD now for a harder, but still flexible mat. Not cloth, not plastic, all good stuff.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does the Steelseries sensei raw have a good sensor, as in no acceleration or anything other than raw input? I'm thinking about picking one up.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Does the Steelseries sensei raw have a good sensor, as in no acceleration or anything other than raw input? I'm thinking about picking one up.

No. The sensei mice all have laser sensors, and all laser sensors have some degree of crap like acceleration and what not.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, how about the Razer AbyssusZowie AM then? Any reports of problems?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 28, 2013

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Daddyo posted:

Anyone have experience with a Corsair mouse? I had a Steelseries that went crazy on me, so I'm looking at the new Raptor M30 that comes out next week. Just want to make sure it's a bit more durable than it's predecessor.

I had a m60 for 18 months it had some connections issues that made me give it up. I really liked the mouse while it worked.

Regular Dude
Oct 17, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Umart have the G700S for $99. All stores ship to anywhere in Australia, but if you order from the store that's closest to your location it'll get to you quicker.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

The Lord Bude posted:

all laser sensors have some degree of crap like acceleration and what not.

Is there some technical reason for this, or is it just how they're all made?

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

Schiavona posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a mouse pad? Mine is getting kind of gross, and now that summer and humid weather is here I'm debating switching from cloth to plastic.

I have no experience with plastic pads. When it comes to cloth ones I am using a Puretrak Talent and it's the best one I've had so far. Either it doesn't take in as much dirt, or it hides better than other mousepads. It can also be washed easily.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Regular Dude posted:

Umart have the G700S for $99. All stores ship to anywhere in Australia, but if you order from the store that's closest to your location it'll get to you quicker.

Once you add the shipping from Umart onto it, you're paying about $120 anyway.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

chippy posted:

Is there some technical reason for this, or is it just how they're all made?

I'm not sure. I'm not an expert on the technical side of things, it's just what I've learned from reading reviews, for some reason you can't get a laser mouse that doesn't have some degree of acceleration.

That's why all the pro gamers are using optical mice. That being said, most people probably don't care/can't tell the difference, but if it matters to you, there are a good number of modern optical mice out there, and being optical, they tend to be very affordable.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Is the logitech warranty & customer service not what it used to be? I've had their products replaced out of warranty with shipping at their expenses, and they were generally regarded as having the best customer service in the entire computer peripherals industry by others.

Did this change or is it just their australia/remote regions department that suck in the c.r. Department?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Is the logitech warranty & customer service not what it used to be? I've had their products replaced out of warranty with shipping at their expenses, and they were generally regarded as having the best customer service in the entire computer peripherals industry by others.

Did this change or is it just their australia/remote regions department that suck in the c.r. Department?

I had a poo poo time with it, click the little ? under my avatar to see my previous post about it. This is for Australia.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

I had a cheapy Logitech K120 keyboard that I opened up, tried out then put in storage in case I needed a cheap backup (which will be probably after I die seeing as how my current keyboard is a model M) and I felt like plinking away at rubber domes for a bit, so plugged it in after it was sitting around for half a year and it quietly burned out overnight. I sent an email with the results of my troubleshooting, was requested to take a picture of the serial number (which I did) and they sent me another one, to Hawaii, with no other questions and at no charge.

I had previously tried to get them to replace my MX300, but that thing was well over half a decade old and extremely hard to find nowdays so all I could get was an offer for a discount at the logitech store. I'd already replaced it with a G1 so I passed on it.

tray
Nov 24, 2006

nice to meet you!
I've had a Copperhead for about 7 years but I'm afraid its gonna fall apart soon. Does Razer make anything like the copperhead anymore? I don't like the new ergonomic stuff that seems to be hip nowadays. I just want a nice symmetrical durable accurate mouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Going to give my usual spiel about Australian consumer law here.

Australian Law requires retailers to provide you with your choice of a refund, repair, or replacement for damaged items, items that fail to last a reasonable length of time (this can often be deemed to be much longer than the standard warranty), differ significantly from what is described, have some issue that would have prevented you from purchasing it had you known about it, or fail to do something that a salesperson said it would. Retailers are obligated to pay any shipping expenses you incur in the process of returning the item to them.

There are very large fines for businesses that do not comply with these laws, and the ACCC is currently very keen to make examples of non compliant businesses.

If you have an issue with a product, return it to the store you bought it from. There is no reason whatsoever to interact with a manufacturer.

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel
is this the mouse megathread or is there another?

What are the recommendations for a good wired mouse that doesn't have all sorts of buttons everywhere. I'd like something good for gaming, but that only has a left, right, and scrollwheel or something close to it. I tend to press buttons on the side accidentally and usually disable them if possible. I'm fine with disabling buttons if it's the only way to get a solid mouse.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Anti-Derivative posted:

What are the recommendations for a good wired mouse that doesn't have all sorts of buttons everywhere. I'd like something good for gaming, but that only has a left, right, and scrollwheel or something close to it. I tend to press buttons on the side accidentally and usually disable them if possible. I'm fine with disabling buttons if it's the only way to get a solid mouse.

The G400 and G500 are designed so that your thumb is cradled under the side buttons (you can see what I'm talking about if you google a picture) and it's nigh impossible to fat-thumb them. In fact if there's a single complaint I have about my G500, which I otherwise love, it is that the front side button takes some conscious effort to press. Both are great mice and good values.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Anti-Derivative posted:

Woot has the Kinzu V2 pro for $15 until tomorrow at 9AM Central. Sounds like what you're looking for and it's a really good price for that mouse.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Went from a MX518 that died on me to a G500S and am loving it. From what I hear it has less acceleration issues than the non S, so if that is a concern you should look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Went from a MX518 that died on me to a G500S and am loving it. From what I hear it has less acceleration issues than the non S, so if that is a concern you should look into it.

I just read that there is a strange issue with input lag on the G500s. They were able to replicate the problem and should have a firmware update out for it and it should be out in the next three weeks. Link.