Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would assume the absolute nicest P71s are the detective cars with the highway cars second. Too bad it seems hard to get a detective car around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, highway cars are the ones to get for sure. Another tip is that the newer cars I think 06 and up have an hours meter in the cluster when you cycle the odo/trip. So you can see if it spent an eternity idling. I would not want railway car as those would spend a lot of tile driving lovely dirt road and have probably seen a lot of airtime from crossings and washes. And if its anything like the rail industry the were beat on without mercy as the people I know that work rail company tell me tails of basically destroying new cars and how may transmissions and such they have broken.

Not to mention the railroad industry is just flat out harsh on vehicles.

We are working on 7th set of ball joints on a Chevrolet Colorado 4x4. It only has.... 49,000 miles

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

some texas redneck posted:

DFW NORML scooped one up about 2 years ago for their "Truth Enforcement" car :v:

IIRC they got it pretty cheap - around $2500? - it was a retired Ft Worth PD patrol car with about 100k.

AFAIK, the only issues they've had so far have been the starter and a/c compressor. And of course it's a massive cop magnet, as one would expect when your car is covered in pot leaves and NORML stickers. I can ask around and try to get more info on it if you want - right now it's mostly used for events in both DFW and Austin, and gets driven back and forth between DFW and Austin pretty regularly.

Pardon my ignorance but how do they not get hassled for impersonating police?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

travisray2004 posted:

Because they're not impersonating police. They don't try to pull anyone over, and green lights are 100% legal in Texas. They keep the light bar covered most of the time.

The car was sponsored by a local attorney who specializes in drug and DUI/DWI cases.

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, highway cars are the ones to get for sure. Another tip is that the newer cars I think 06 and up have an hours meter in the cluster when you cycle the odo/trip. So you can see if it spent an eternity idling. I would not want railway car as those would spend a lot of tile driving lovely dirt road and have probably seen a lot of airtime from crossings and washes. And if its anything like the rail industry the were beat on without mercy as the people I know that work rail company tell me tails of basically destroying new cars and how may transmissions and such they have broken.

:ssh: Texas Railroad Commission has absolutely nothing to do with railroads (and hasn't since 1984) - they're a regulatory body for oil/gas.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 5, 2013

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

Because they aren't. Vaguely reminds you of a police car does not equal impersonating the police. (lights aren't red or blue is probably the answer you're looking for)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Lord Gaga posted:

Because they aren't. Vaguely reminds you of a police car does not equal impersonating the police. (lights aren't red or blue is probably the answer you're looking for)

Not sure if that was a joke but I was in the car when a housemate got an impersonation ticket for 'taillights too bright' in his mom's bone-stock Corolla. By comparison, causing serious double-takes all over town should be an easy ticket magnet.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would assume the absolute nicest P71s are the detective cars with the highway cars second. Too bad it seems hard to get a detective car around here.

There are at least 4 supervisor or detective cars at the Austin State Surplus Store right now. They seem to have a $500-$1k premium over regular highway patrol cars, so I'm not sure if I should pay that until I can confirm how they were driven. I'm trying to get a hold on the service records of the cars I'm interested in, but the DPS office who has them haven't called me back. Supposedly it costs $5 per record and I may have to go in person to get them.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure if that was a joke but I was in the car when a housemate got an impersonation ticket for 'taillights too bright' in his mom's bone-stock Corolla. By comparison, causing serious double-takes all over town should be an easy ticket magnet.

Thats is not how the law works and that is why there are judges.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

The car was sponsored by a local attorney who specializes in drug and DUI/DWI cases.

Lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Lord Gaga posted:

I've heard of people get pulled over because they have the black/white color scheme on P71s that the police department used and still had the spotlight.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

travisray2004 posted:

I've heard of people get pulled over because they have the black/white color scheme on P71s that the police department used and still had the spotlight.

I know that It is illegal in California to still have the black and white.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of like the entire reason to buy a P71 though. My Seattle PD blue was a huge selling point over the white/black grill ones that were for sale.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
It's questionable in Texas to have the DPS black sides/white upper surfaces. I've seen several Vics with only the white parts repainted in silver, lime green, or blue. It's not a bad look. On the other hand, I've seen ex-DPS Mustangs owned by collectors/nerds in full livery; they just put a trash bag over the lightbar and magnetic covers over the police graphics while driving to and from shows.

I've seen pictures of TXDPS cars on the auction block with a squiggle of grey spraypaint down the side, but just yesterday I saw one on the side of the road with a "for sale" sign in the window and stock paint. As for local cops, I don't think they care unless you have the paint of the department you're in the jurisdiction of, though I doubt they'd give you too much extra poo poo vs generic white or black if theirs and yours were a civvie-option single color like Seattle.

Louisiana apparently doesn't give a poo poo about paint, given the number of NOLA taxis wearing the city LAPD-style panda scheme with different text on the doors.

I've been hassled for driving an all-black Interceptor with (toy plastic) handcuffs hanging from the mirror. I knew I should've gone with the fuzzy bondage cuffs. Though to be fair, the department that pulled me over has had a problem with a guy pretending to be a cop and pulling people over, and my car (along with a thousand others in the area) matched the description.

The sheriff's dept that pulled me over has a pretty neat color scheme -- white cars with matte-black bumpers. At least it's different -- most cop cars are either LAPD-style black ends with white doors, or NYPD-style white with blue text. My city cops are currently transitioning between the two. Navy blue with gold text is a close third, and I've seen state cars with the same white top as TXDPS but different body colors.

Also there's a Hot Wheels-scale toymaker of cop cars that has a TXDPS Crown Vic, but no store ever has it in stock. I want a miniature of my car in original trim, dammit.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
So, it looks like I'm going to finally get my first road trip in my CVPI. I was called up by the Dekalb Co. (GA) Prosecutor's Office and notified that when my case finally goes to trial, I'll be needed to testify. This gives me a few months to work and get some basic repairs done to the car before I subject it to 1500 miles or so. Gotta get new brakes, and I need an A/C recharge. Shouldn't be too bad as a cruising car, except that the cruise control/horn both don't work. Is that just something that needs to be reconnected?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds like a blown clockspring to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

kastein posted:

That sounds like a blown clockspring to me.

Definitely. Should be easy to trace out with a multimeter.

I assume the SRS light is ablaze as well. If not, it will be soon.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I literally threw out a perfectly good clock spring like four days ago too because I didn' have a use for it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Those are good money on eBay. :(

Delivery McGee posted:

The sheriff's dept that pulled me over has a pretty neat color scheme -- white cars with matte-black bumpers.

This sounds rad, can you post some kind of photo? I want to see where they decided the bumpers started/ended.

Or is it just the whole bumper panel like an unpainted ricer bodykit? That would be... not rad.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I cant decide if I should fix my $1200 00 PI, or sell it and buy a better condition one with the repair money added. Right now I have to get the timing chains and guides replaced due to the self munching nature of them to the tune of roughly $800, then sooner than later I have to replace the compressor since thats starting to scream randomly. Plus the car doesnt even have the limited slip rear end, thats another $3-400. With that said this car is very straight with no rust to speak of but not sure if thats worth everything else. Doesnt help I just found this on craigs http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/3854214657.html .

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Some early-era Panther love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZId4VL6h8XM

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

Definitely. Should be easy to trace out with a multimeter.

I assume the SRS light is ablaze as well. If not, it will be soon.

Yeah. Both airbags have been deployed, so the air bag light stays on constantly.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Delivery McGee posted:

Though to be fair, the department that pulled me over has had a problem with a guy pretending to be a cop and pulling people over, and my car (along with a thousand others in the area) matched the description.
Then you have apps like this that that make it easy to look like an undercover cop car with its lights on:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidinertia.policesirenfree&hl=en

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cbx posted:

Yeah. Both airbags have been deployed, so the air bag light stays on constantly.

That's probably related - servicing procedures generally recommend replacing the clockspring when the airbag goes off, since the thin conductors in the ribbon cable generally can't handle the kind of current the airbag firing squib draws more than once or so, in fact they generally burn up when it fires. So the clockspring's probably toast because of that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Splizwarf posted:

Those are good money on eBay. :(

This sounds rad, can you post some kind of photo? I want to see where they decided the bumpers started/ended.

Or is it just the whole bumper panel like an unpainted ricer bodykit? That would be... not rad.

Best I could find on their website (I try to avoid their jurisdiction for obvious reasons):

It's not as bad as you expected, but not as good as you hoped.

The state has the best possible cop car paint scheme, though:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 14, 2013

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The police cars in my hometown have some pretty sage advice adorning their front fenders.

:3:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Looks like the valve stem seals on my '94 GMGS (just rolled over 180K) have shuffled off this mortal coil. What should I expect to pay for replacement? The car seems to be running fine but the occasional smokeshow leaving a long red light sucks. I'm already using high-mileage oil. If it's stupid expensive to do the work, I'll just put some STP snake oil in 'er and hope for the best. Still the bestest $800 car evah!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

I'm having transmission issues, I believe. When my engine heats up, my shifts make the car lurch a little bit and the car drops to a very low rev point. It doesn't stall but it doesn't accelerate as well either. Plus, the car gets close to overheating on a daily basis now. I have to run the A/C on scalding and drop the windows to keep the thermometer around normal levels. Fluid check is coming tomorrow, but other than that, any ideas?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Unless there's something I don't know, I dont think the overheating is a transmission issue. Double check the basic poo poo first, coolant level, fan operation, etc. Then see if you need to go further.

However, if a transmission issue can duplicate a problem like that I'd definitely like to know about it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've had a slipping transmission (which failed catastrophically a month or two later) cause overheating. The good news is, it doesn't sound like your transmission is slipping cbx, it sounds like it's doing the opposite, upshifting too soon. So I think they are separate problems.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So any idea on increasing the headlight output? I'm spoiled with the night suns of the Fiat, STi, and hella projectors in the truck. The Vic's are terrible and I don't really want to do a projector retrofit, I think it will kill the look of the front end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

First off, make sure the headlight glass isn't horribly pitted or faded or milky. If they are, either swap the headlights for a fresh set try one of the polishing kits available.

Secondly, check the wiring to your headlights. Crappy thin wires have higher resistance, which means your headlights get less power than they actually need. On some cars, rewiring with larger-gauge wire can really help the light output.

Thirdly, have a look at bulbs like Philips X-treme Vision, they offer a significant increase in light output over standard bulbs. Don't get ones with blue glass, they suck rear end.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

Secondly, check the wiring to your headlights. Crappy thin wires have higher resistance, which means your headlights get less power than they actually need. On some cars, rewiring with larger-gauge wire can really help the light output.

Absolutely this. I've had a couple cars that saw HUGE lighting increases just by feeding them proper power. Summit Racing sells a kits for under $30 like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-01-130/overview/

Almost plug-and-play, they just use factory wiring to trigger relays that feed directly to the headlights. You can do it yourself, but it's a cheap and easy kit that is worth it just for the time savings.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holdbrooks posted:

So any idea on increasing the headlight output? I'm spoiled with the night suns of the Fiat, STi, and hella projectors in the truck. The Vic's are terrible and I don't really want to do a projector retrofit, I think it will kill the look of the front end.

If the lenses are faded at all just get a new pair, they're like 20 bucks a piece from rockauto.

Don't polish them, it's only temporary and the lenses are cheap to replace.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Absolutely this. I've had a couple cars that saw HUGE lighting increases just by feeding them proper power. Summit Racing sells a kits for under $30 like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-01-130/overview/

Almost plug-and-play, they just use factory wiring to trigger relays that feed directly to the headlights. You can do it yourself, but it's a cheap and easy kit that is worth it just for the time savings.

Agreed. And (IIRC, I don't feel like working the math out right now) light output is based on a function of voltage squared (P=V^2/R is probably the root of this) so for every little bit you reduce your wiring voltage losses, you improve the power output at the bulbs significantly. As in, going from (for example) 12 volts at the bulbs to 13.8 volts at the bulbs should be around a 32% light output increase, and with it, a significant change in color temperature, at least when using halogens.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

So far, putting a metric poo poo-ton of coolant into the car has solved my cooling and transmission issues. No more rough shifting, no more overheating while idling.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
The car is super easy to work on and I love how easy it was to run the 0awg wire for the amps using the cord covers already in the sills. But the non flat mounting surface for the from door speakers and the like 2x4 speaker grill on the door panel. I have to hand file the contours of the door on the MDF adapters I made to put some comps in the front doors.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

cbx posted:

So far, putting a metric poo poo-ton of coolant into the car has solved my cooling and transmission issues. No more rough shifting, no more overheating while idling.

Any idea where it went?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Coolant wants to be free.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

2nd week of July I'm taking time off and hopefully gonna put a dent in the huge pile of parts I have for the Vic. I want to get it done but I'm not exactly excited about it because gently caress working on cars in FL in July :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

2nd week of July I'm taking time off and hopefully gonna put a dent in the huge pile of parts I have for the Vic. I want to get it done but I'm not exactly excited about it because gently caress working on cars in FL in July :(

I've had a new upper control arm for my Blazer for a month, I just can't summon up the motivation to go get sunburned and dehydrated from working outside for 2 hours. drat heat. And then it dumps rain for 20 minutes and the rest of the day is like working in a sauna.

Relevant to the thread, I potentially saved a Towncar from having its airbags pinched open the other day. Dumbass coworker (who's been there longer than me) forgot to switch off the air ride and the bags deflated. I managed to lower it down slow enough that they pumped back up. I always wondered why they didn't just close the vents when the suspension gets past like 50% droop; I know some GM truck that had it was set up that way.