Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ScarletOHara posted:

Sea legs has the most corniest rear end chorus or whatever and its do dope gently caress hope.

Thank you! I like it even better then. I haven't listened to El-P since the mid 00s and it was just his early Def Jux stuff. I can't not be impressed by his progress and what this project is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvf28Y0aJ6w

job well done has the combo of best song and worst hook

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

^^ gently caress yeah, thread always needs more Swishahouse

firstyear posted:

Throw another guy who loves RTJ on the pile. Not a bad track on there.

I never really made the effort to listen to Royce Da 5' 9", but I do like what I've heard. What's his best tape?

Street Hop, all the Bar Exams.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 28, 2013

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I haven't listened to all of Heaven because at 70+ tracks that's a lot of time, but I found this the other night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK6FexqBSJo
I still don't understand how Metro Zu or at least a person or two from it isn't bigger, more famous.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Street Hop, all the Bar Exams.

This is correct, start with Bar Exam 2 it's the best IMO.
http://youtu.be/k4zXcbY7cpA

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hchEIwh6nSA

lmao

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
trip kick and palm to the chest :drat:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are doing an arena tour this fall. Talib Kweli and Big K.R.I.T. are opening.

I don't know how this forum feels about Macklemore (I thought the Heist was great and I still enjoy Thrift Shop despite how overplayed it was), but the dude(s) went from being booked at 200-capacity dives to arenas in less than a year on the strength of one self-released album. AND they have a legend opening for them. That's loving insane. I'm strongly considering going to the Columbus show but it will probably be too expensive.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

the heist is a really boring bland album and talib kweli is loving terrible nowadays. sounds like a poo poo show besides big krit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's weird because boring and bland is exactly how I describe K.R.I.T.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Should be the other way around on those openers/main features

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Like he needed security at all. Long live Bronson.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This is cool and all, but I was really disappointed that it wasn't an actual bodyslam.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Kreayshawn is someone's mother. The guy rapping needs a punch in the chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNO-fq0uBg

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Imagine taking a prenatal L like that, never stood a chance.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

temple posted:

That would require someone willing to touch him.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I thought the Internet got over the whole omg rapper blowing up thing after Tyler the creator, lets ignore soulja boy

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Prefuse posted:

is this post some meta trolling poo poo man. are you joking around here. what kind of corny motherfucker likes born sinner and asher roth?

I Love College is more sonically interesting than Run the Jewels

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kreayshawn is pregnant? And she's 23? Oh wow.

*Birdman/Stevie J hand rub*

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010

temple posted:

Umm this is actually good, please don't punch Roach Gigz in the chest.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Can't Hold Us is fine and Thrift Shop is fun. Pretty much everything else on the album is garbage. Still, I have a soft spot for Mack because ~~#Seattle#~~

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I'm torn because Joseph is a good impersonation of a 90's rapper. But it doesn't seem genuine. Its half good half corny. He's like a young black thought, he's sounds really good until you listen to what he's saying and realize he's not saying poo poo.

I don't like rappers with dollar signs in their name too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZtyuj2-Ws

edit: Now he's saying gently caress pitchfork. What is up homies?

edit: They hosted his video and he wanted it somewhere else or whatever. This bullshit is so thin.

temple fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 28, 2013

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

temple posted:

I'm torn because he's a good impersonation of a 90's rapper. But it doesn't seem genuine. Its half good half corny. He's like a young black thought, he's sounds really good until you listen to what he's saying and realize he's not saying poo poo.

Haha wow I thought you were talking about Macklemore until that last sentence and the black thought comparison was so outrageous.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Can't Hold Us is fine and Thrift Shop is fun. Pretty much everything else on the album is garbage. Still, I have a soft spot for Mack because ~~#Seattle#~~

Well you need to stop, lest we have another Blue Scholars debacle [they're poo poo] on our hands.

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
Pro Era = Rap Game Wolfmother

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

temple posted:

I'm torn because Joseph is a good impersonation of a 90's rapper. But it doesn't seem genuine. Its half good half corny. He's like a young black thought, he's sounds really good until you listen to what he's saying and realize he's not saying poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJZtyuj2-Ws

edit: Now he's saying gently caress pitchfork. What is up homies?

edit: They hosted his video and he wanted it somewhere else or whatever. This bullshit is so thin.

He's really really boring. I never understood all the hype over Joey. He's trying so hard to sound like a 90's rapper and I can barely make it through one of his songs. If I want to hear that I'll listen to rebel INS or something. He's just not interesting. I feel like that type of music, like most rap, was a product of its environment and that environment just doesn't exist in the same way anymore. It doesn't seem genuine at all. If I want something modern with a New York aesthetic instead of old Deck and the like I'll listen to Maino/Uncle Murder/Jadakiss etc. Joey has no place on my playlist.

Mosaic Perception fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 28, 2013

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

John Brown posted:

Who the gently caress is Mookie Jones and why would he align himself with such a bad connotation?

Maybe it's actually the former Syracuse basketball player?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mosaic Perception posted:

He's really really boring. I never understood all the hype over Joey. He's trying so hard to sound like a 90's rapper and I can barely make it through one of his songs. If I want to hear that I'll listen to rebel INS or something. He's just not interesting. I feel like that type of music, like most rap, was a product of its environment and that environment just doesn't exist in the same way anymore. It doesn't seem genuine at all. If I want something modern with a New York aesthetic instead of old Deck and the like I'll listen to Maino/Uncle Murder/Jadakiss etc. Joey has no place on my playlist.

I agree with that completely. I think a lot of people want to that old sound to come back like texas/memphis stuff came back. But Joey hasn't updated it. Its like a Redman B-side. Its good but its doesn't seem right somehow.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Has Redman done anything to follow up "The White People are Rioting"? I was kinda into that, plus I still listen to poo poo from Doc's Da Name and Whut Thee Album regularly because dude cracks me up.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

If I want something modern with a New York aesthetic instead of old Deck and the like I'll listen to Maino/Uncle Murder/Jadakiss etc. Joey has no place on my playlist.

I think you're like 10 years late on those guys being considered modern. In any case a lot of the actually modern young new york rappers that are popular here wear their influences on their sleeve and could be considered "throwback acts" like rocky, action bronson, darko, underachievers, etc. so I don't really think the throwback thing is necessarily his problem, it's not like he's that much better on modern beats. He is kind of boring right now though so I hope he gets better because I think he's got a lot of talent.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 28, 2013

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Starks posted:

I think you're like 10 years late on those guys being considered modern. In any case a lot the actually modern young new york rappers that are popular here wear their influences on their sleeve and could be considered "throwback acts" like rocky, action bronson, darko, underachievers, etc. so I don't really think the throwback thing is necessarily his problem, it's not like he's that much better on modern beats. He is kind of boring right now though so I hope he gets better because I think he's got a lot of talent.

Well they all have adapting sounds and make modern music/don't hold for dear life to the 90's hip-hop NY asthetic so I'm not sure what you mean. They don't have to be young to be modern. Also do you mean Aesop Rocky because he doesn't even make NY music.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I really like Joey Badass. I realize he isn't saying anything a lot of the time but he drops some good lines and his flow is cool. I think it's great that New York is producing a whole bunch of talented guys right now like Rocky, the Pro Era crew and Flatbush Zombies who all have pretty different styles but are all cool in their own way.

On the Macklemore topic he's kind of like Pitbull and LMFAO to me. They're sort of like hip-hop I guess but I don't give a gently caress about them at all.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

temple posted:

He even misspells everything intentionally the way 90's dudes did.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wezlar posted:

I really like Joey Badass. I realize he isn't saying anything a lot of the time but he drops some good lines and his flow is cool. I think it's great that New York is producing a whole bunch of talented guys right now like Rocky, the Pro Era crew and Flatbush Zombies who all have pretty different styles but are all cool in their own way.

On the Macklemore topic he's kind of like Pitbull and LMFAO to me. They're sort of like hip-hop I guess but I don't give a gently caress about them at all.

I agree with this. I can at least expect a pretty dope beat whenever I see Joey featured on something. Also, "Like Water" is a pretty awesome song.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Well they all have adapting sounds and make modern music/don't hold for dear life to the 90's hip-hop NY asthetic so I'm not sure what you mean. They don't have to be young to be modern. Also do you mean Aesop Rocky because he doesn't even make NY music.

I just meant that there's plenty of examples of good rappers who do throwback stuff and that it's a common trend in NY rap today so I dont think Joey's problem is the 90s thing. And I meant asap rocky. Also I never said you have to be young to be modern (pretty sure bronson's like 30 anyways) but who the gently caress is checking for the new jadakiss album

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like Joey and enjoy some of the 90s throwback beats he raps over but I can't fault people for finding that boring. Hopefully he will continue to grow and live up to the potential I see in him but it hasn't happened yet. The tracklist for his upcoming mixtape was posted today:

quote:

01. Alowha (prod. Kirk Knight)
02. Hilary $wank (prod. Lee Bannon)
03. My Youth (f. Collie Buddz) (prod. Chuck Strangers)
04. Afterlife (f. Kirk Knight (prod. Chuck Strangers & Patrick Eulmi)
05. Right on Time (T’nah Apex) (prod. Kirk Knight)
06. Sweet Dreams (prod. Navie D)
07. 47goonz f. Dirty Sanchez, Nyck Caution & Rokamouth (prod. Lee Bannon)
08. Sit N’ Prey f. Dessy Hinds & T’nah Apex (prod. Navie D)
09. Word Is Bond (prod. Statik Selektah)
10. Trap Dour (prod. Alchemist)
11. Satellite f. Chuck Strangers, Kirk Knight & Dessy Hinds (prod. Lee Bannon)
12. 95 Til Infinity (prod. Lee Bannon)
13. Amethyst Rockstar f. Kirk Knight (prod. DOOM)
14. Reign (prod. Chuck Strangers)
15. Sorry Bonita f. Dyemond Lewis, Chuck Strangers, Dirty Sanchez, A La Sole, Kirk Knight, Dessy Hinds & CJ Fly [prod. Oddisee)
16. #LongLiveSteelo (Bonus track) (prod. Kirk Knight)

A couple of those tracks are already out (Amethyst Rockstar and Word is Bond). I personally love those oldschool sounding Statik Selektah beats.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

Except Pitbull and LMFAO make club music and Macklemore is an actual rapper. Have you heard anything besides the chorus of "Can't Hold Us"?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Except Pitbull and LMFAO make club music and Macklemore is an actual rapper. Have you heard anything besides the chorus of "Can't Hold Us"?

They all just make music for teenage girls :shrug:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Wezlar posted:

They all just make music for teenage girls :shrug:

Eh, Pitbull & LMFAO make music for clubs while Macklemore makes music for people who browse Reddit and think that Lil Wayne is the worst rapper ever.

This is the worst topic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

thathonkey posted:

15. Sorry Bonita f. Dyemond Lewis, Chuck Strangers, Dirty Sanchez, A La Sole, Kirk Knight, Dessy Hinds & CJ Fly [prod. Oddisee)
There is no way that this song can't be good.

He's seriously one of the most talented dudes in hip hop ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2phx6CI1k

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 28, 2013

• Locked thread