Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Vinlaen posted:

@rufius: Do you notice a different in heat and/or fan noise on the i5 versus i7?

Also, do you find that the 11" is enough for "light" software development? (I'm also a software developer [.NET], but looking to learn more Objective-C and possibly Unity3D for iOS games, etc)

I noticed heat/fan on both when playing games. The i7 might have been a tad warmer but I didn't find it to be uncomfortably warm at any point or uncomfortably loud. That said, I do play games with headphones on usually so the fan may just not have bothered me. For the low-to-medium loads, I don't recall the fan ever coming on for either machine.

I think the 11" is the perfect software development platform. I have been playing around with XCode + the iOS simulators and had zero issue with it. The Haswell chips really are very powerful and I was pleasantly surprised at how fast things were. I also built clang 3.3 from scratch and it build quite quickly.

If you want a light, hyper-portable, long battery life laptop, I definitely recommend the 11". Several of my friends have gotten 13" ones and returned them for 11" because they wanted the extra portability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the information.

I haven't noticed the fan on my i7 either until I start up a game at which point it comes on almost immediately. However, the bottom does get too hot for me to use directly on my lap. It's not scalding hot, but definitely uncomfortable.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I got my i5 13" Air today. It's fast. The only problem is that the bottom left rubber foot is a millimeter shorter than the other. Every time I put my hand on the corner it touches the table with an annoying click. I'll swap it with another Air and see if that fixes it. If not I'll just put some tape on there.

Are there any fun/must have programs I should install?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Selklubber posted:

I got my i5 13" Air today. It's fast. The only problem is that the bottom left rubber foot is a millimeter shorter than the other. Every time I put my hand on the corner it touches the table with an annoying click. I'll swap it with another Air and see if that fixes it. If not I'll just put some tape on there.

Are there any fun/must have programs I should install?

Check the OSX thread, the OP has a handy list of recommended programs to install.

Also another nice thing about Mac is they have 14 day customer satisfaction guarantee if you find any minor problems.

I'm sure if you take it into a local Apple store they could take care of the problem.

etalian fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 26, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks for the information.

I haven't noticed the fan on my i7 either until I start up a game at which point it comes on almost immediately. However, the bottom does get too hot for me to use directly on my lap. It's not scalding hot, but definitely uncomfortable.

What sorts of things are you typically doing when you notice it getting hot?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So if coconut battery is old and obsolete what should we be using to show battery health?

Mudoubleha
May 20, 2001
I have no title and I must scream.

Vinlaen posted:

@rufius: Do you notice a different in heat and/or fan noise on the i5 versus i7?

Also, do you find that the 11" is enough for "light" software development? (I'm also a software developer [.NET], but looking to learn more Objective-C and possibly Unity3D for iOS games, etc)

My primary purpose is light gaming though (while watching TV with my wife, etc). I already have the i7, but I'm somewhat regretting the i5 just for longer battery life and supposedly less heat/noise (and getting pretty much identical graphics/gaming performance).

My 2012 Macbook Air i5 is my Final Cut/Photoshop/Xcode/Unity machine on the go. You'll be fine.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Ok I am now convinced the lag on my mid-2012 non-retina MBP is more than just the SSD. Could it be due to me restoring from a Time Machine backup from my Air?

It should not require a 30 second delay to restore iPhoto from the dock on this computer.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ultimate Mango posted:

So if coconut battery is old and obsolete what should we be using to show battery health?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-health/id490192174?mt=12

I'm not saying that coconut battery is necessarily wrong, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on older versions when there's a newer one to consult first.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

flavor posted:

I'm not saying that coconut battery is necessarily wrong, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on older versions when there's a newer one to consult first.

I must be missing something because I can't find a newer coconut than 2.8. I will try battery health, but at this rate I will be down to 50% battery capacity inside a year on my 2012 air.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flavor posted:

You can also pull the info directly from "About this Mac" to double-check the max charge value against the app.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
e: never mind

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 27, 2013

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
What do you guys think is a fair resale value for a used 2012 15" rMBP base version? It has the one year of Applecare through January 2014. I see refurbs are going for $1599.99 in the refurb store. $1600 shipped seem like a good price to start with? I'm thinking about going back to a desktop + 11" MBA combo instead.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Ok I am now convinced the lag on my mid-2012 non-retina MBP is more than just the SSD. Could it be due to me restoring from a Time Machine backup from my Air?

It should not require a 30 second delay to restore iPhoto from the dock on this computer.
Open up the console and see if there's anything useful that pops up when things turn to crap.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comper posted:

What do you guys think is a fair resale value for a used 2012 15" rMBP base version? It has the one year of Applecare through January 2014. I see refurbs are going for $1599.99 in the refurb store. $1600 shipped seem like a good price to start with? I'm thinking about going back to a desktop + 11" MBA combo instead.

Refurbs from Apple are not a good standard, look at places such as Amazon to determine a more accurate used price.

A Apple refurb is new in terms of warranty/part replacement, while you have at least 1 year of use.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

comper posted:

I can't speak for others, but I wouldn't remotely consider yours at $1600 if I could get refurb for $1599.99 (plus tax). $1600 is about 30% overpriced, at least to me, given the existence of that refurb option.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

You can drive the price up a bit though because you have applecare.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

comper posted:

$1600 shipped seem like a good price to start with?

Yes the same price as refurb is a good place to start. Most people don't look at refurbs and will over pay.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0red posted:

You can drive the price up a bit though because you have applecare.
For ~6 more months. The refurb would come with a year.

List it at the refurb price so you have room to negotiate. Go from there. A lot of people still don't know about refurbished Macs.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I'm not looking to screw anyone over :-/ I just figured since it's a guaranteed Samsung screen + I know it has zero issues (backlight bleed, dead pixels, IR, etc.) that around the refurb price would be okay. If it's only worth ~$1150 like the first guy said then there's no reason to list it. Thanks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I just do refurb minus $100 (more or less) and deal down as necessary. Alternatively just check out similar listings wherever you're putting it up and use those as the ballpark.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

comper posted:

I'm not looking to screw anyone over :-/ I just figured since it's a guaranteed Samsung screen + I know it has zero issues (backlight bleed, dead pixels, IR, etc.) that around the refurb price would be okay. If it's only worth ~$1150 like the first guy said then there's no reason to list it. Thanks.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's *worth* $1150, just that I'd sooner pony up $400 more or whatever for a refurb with a full warranty, and easier recourse if it's not perfect, etc.

The buying public's general lack of knowledge about refurbs is a wonderful thing, however :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Well I guess I don't really have an excuse for the Fruit Stand to change out my battery...34 month old Mac, 243 battery cycles, battery capacity 92% :stare:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

flavor posted:

Welp.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Pleasantly surprised by this. Laptop has been a beast.. although are the amount of cycles a bit high?

Having a bit of a hard time choosing between waiting for the new 13" rMBPs or getting an Air. I'd be using it for work when I'm not near my iMac (which also needs to be replaced). I do graphic design, and mostly use Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. I'm a bit worried about the Air chugging a bit, but compared to my current MacBook (April '09 Core 2 Duo), the benchmarks for the Air about 2x.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

movax posted:

Well I guess I don't really have an excuse for the Fruit Stand to change out my battery...34 month old Mac, 243 battery cycles, battery capacity 92% :stare:

Not surprising since the newer batteries have a life of 1000 discharge cycles and hopefully you avoided bad things such as overheating the battery.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 28, 2013

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

japtor posted:

Open up the console and see if there's anything useful that pops up when things turn to crap.

I am seeing a LOT of lines like this:

code:
6/27/13 10:50:43.444 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.coresymbolicationd[38978]) Exited: Killed: 9
It actually just did it when I copied and pasted that... here are the console entries for that time frame.

code:
6/27/13 10:51:35.924 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[38991]: CleanMyMacHelperTool started as trash size watcher with limit 3221225472 B
6/27/13 10:51:37.024 PM CleanMyMacHelperTool[38991]: CleanMyMacHelperTool exited...
6/27/13 10:51:46.670 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.sleepservicesd[38993]) Exited: Killed: 9
6/27/13 10:51:46.000 PM kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 38993 [SleepServicesD]
6/27/13 10:51:47.163 PM Safari[38736]: Couldn't contact spell checker for Multilingual
6/27/13 10:51:51.477 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.iCloudHelper[38988]) Exited: Killed: 9
6/27/13 10:51:51.000 PM kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 38988 [com.apple.iCloud]
6/27/13 10:51:59.108 PM com.apple.launchd[1]: (com.apple.sleepservicesd[38998]) Exited: Killed: 9
6/27/13 10:51:59.000 PM kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 38998 [SleepServicesD]
6/27/13 10:52:04.260 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- [url]https://@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/[/url]
6/27/13 10:52:06.108 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[258]: (com.apple.tccd[38996]) Exited: Killed: 9
6/27/13 10:52:06.000 PM kernel[0]: memorystatus_thread: idle exiting pid 38996 [tccd]
6/27/13 10:52:09.918 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- [url]https://@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/[/url]
6/27/13 10:52:10.511 PM ath[14215]: _NotificationSocketReadCallbackGCD (thread 0x7fff73ac1180): Unexpected connection closure...
6/27/13 10:52:12.049 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- [url]https://@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/[/url]
6/27/13 10:52:12.198 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- https:/@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/contacts/
6/27/13 10:52:16.886 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- [url]https://@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/contacts/addressbook/[/url]
6/27/13 10:52:17.269 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: AOSKit ERROR: (-) RAF: Invalid url -- [url]https://redacted@webdav.facebook.com/6511296/contacts/addressbook/[/url]
6/27/13 10:52:20.697 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: -[ABPerson valueForProperty:com.apple.Messages.FontSize] - unknown property. This warning will be displayed only once per unknown property, per session.
6/27/13 10:52:20.850 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: -[ABPerson valueForProperty:com.apple.speech.ABSpeakable] - unknown property. This warning will be displayed only once per unknown property, per session.
6/27/13 10:52:20.884 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: -[ABPerson valueForProperty:com.apple.Messages.FontColor] - unknown property. This warning will be displayed only once per unknown property, per session.
6/27/13 10:52:20.966 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: -[ABPerson valueForProperty:com.apple.Messages.BalloonColor] - unknown property. This warning will be displayed only once per unknown property, per session.
6/27/13 10:52:20.966 PM AddressBookSourceSync[38997]: -[ABPerson valueForProperty:com.apple.Messages.FontFamily] - unknown property. This warning will be displayed only once per unknown property, per session.
6/27/13 10:52:23.205 PM AppleSpell[566]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
6/27/13 10:52:23.206 PM AppleSpell[566]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
6/27/13 10:52:23.352 PM AppleSpell[566]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
6/27/13 10:52:23.352 PM AppleSpell[566]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
6/27/13 10:52:23.353 PM AppleSpell[566]: *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection is invalid
I removed my email address from the webdav facebook entries.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've been given a 13" MacBook Air (used, previous generation) from one of my very awesome, generous cousins but the charger is borked. Would it be a smart idea to get a replacement off ebay? I ran across this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...=item2a2ddf6246 and they say it's genuine Apple brand. I'm just worried about not being able to tell if its like a really good knock-off or something.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 28, 2013

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
So after using my Air for a few days I'm starting to like it more. OS X isn't so bad, I'm getting used to the keyboard layout. The keys aren't so good, but thats compared to my 5 kg mechanical keyboard. (Why isn't there laptops with mechanical keyboards?!) The thing is fast, when I open the screen the login comes up after 1 second. I haven't even heard the fan yet and it's cold. Now I'm just waiting for school to start so I can start using it.

edit: I talked with Apple about the uneven feet on the computer. They're sending me a new one and I'll just swap my current one with that.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 28, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am seeing a LOT of lines like this:

lots o stuff

I removed my email address from the webdav facebook entries.
Not sure it has anything to do with it, but "CleanMyMacHelperTool" is apparently this thing, so just being a third party service that could possibly gently caress things up I'd disable/remove that as part of the troubleshooting procedure. Otherwise I'm not sure if Facebook contact syncing has anything to do with it, but I guess that'd be another thing to try disabling/reenabling or something. Those could all be a red herring though, but it'd be a start.

Otherwise the usual stuff, reset PRAM and SMC and that stuff, and repair disk and permissions. Latter under recovery mode just so nothing is open I guess.

teagone posted:

I've been given a 13" MacBook Air (used, previous generation) from one of my very awesome, generous cousins but the charger is borked. Would it be a smart idea to get a replacement off ebay? I ran across this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-App...=item2a2ddf6246 and they say it's genuine Apple brand. I'm just worried about not being able to tell if its like a really good knock-off or something.
I'd go with OWC (long time trusted and reliable Mac shop), $57 and covered for a year by them:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MD592LLA/

edit-vvvvv yeah try that first. If you mean it's a 2012 model by "previous generation" there's a good chance it's under warranty to begin with.

japtor fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 28, 2013

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

teagone posted:

Take the borked charger to a fruit stand. They replaced mine when the insulation on its cord frayed even though it was half a year out of warranty at the time. No hassle either. There are no guarantees once you're out of warranty, but they're often pretty cool about taking care of you anyways.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone here had their MBP 13" upper case replaced and do you remember how much it cost? Apparently since my one keys was glued back on, they're not going to cover it under Apple Care and have to replace the entire upper case at my expense. Of course I can't remember the quote he gave me :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Selklubber posted:

edit: I talked with Apple about the uneven feet on the computer. They're sending me a new one and I'll just swap my current one with that.

Yeah the Apple 14 day no hassle return policy is pretty awesome if you find minor problems in the first few days.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
What's the consensus on the new Time Capsule? I have the new Air and comcast internet, will i notice a difference? Also, I've previously have had issues with Apple routers not playing nicely with Windows computers, is that still the case?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

What's the consensus on the new Time Capsule? I have the new Air and comcast internet, will i notice a difference? Also, I've previously have had issues with Apple routers not playing nicely with Windows computers, is that still the case?

It tends to be only useful if you have a interest in doing convenient backups on a regular basis, it's not going to provide magical faster internet side performance than your standard router.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For ~6 more months. The refurb would come with a year.

List it at the refurb price so you have room to negotiate. Go from there. A lot of people still don't know about refurbished Macs.

It's still a bit of a selling point, not a lot but enough to drive up an extra $25 easily.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

etalian posted:

It tends to be only useful if you have a interest in doing convenient backups on a regular basis, it's not going to provide magical faster internet side performance than your standard router.

I thought the whole beam forming things helps with connections.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

rufius posted:

So I've had a chance to use both the 2013 MBA 11inch that I bought. Specs are as follows:
  • i5 - 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
  • i7 - 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

I've just about full drained each one three times so keep that in mind that the sample set is relatively small. I found almost no difference in low to medium loads on the machine. I got roughly 9.5-10 hrs on both machines. On high loads, the i7 used more power but this was expected. Low, medium, and high loads are defined as follows.

• Low load - light web browsing (i.e. no flash or HTML5 video), typing in various text editors (Byword, Pages, Sublime Text 2), playing around in the terminal (I'm a software engineer)
  • Medium load - heavier web browsing (i.e. flash content, HTML5 video, JS heavy pages), running a web server locally and testing the web pages it serves while doing some work
  • Heavy load - playing games (EVE Online, FTL, Left 4 Dead 2), Mail (2 Exchange accounts, 1 GMail account, 1 IMAP account - consistently uses between 35-55% CPU, I believe it's still indexing and optimizing, not sure)

Comments on the two machines:
  • i5 - The i5 is fast. Do not mistake it as being slow as it really can handle just about everything I do well. I'm a software engineer and do a fair amount of work on the side just hacking around with my own projects. I didn't have any issues using the i5 for most of what I do with a couple exceptions where the i7 helps. The i5 handles games well and all video playback just fine.
  • i7 - Clear win here if you're a power user like me. It's fast, like really loving fast. Fast enough to say upgrade to the i5? Eh maybe not but if you have the money and you are likely to do CPU intensive things, it's a nice upgrade.

TL;DR: For low-to-medium loads, there's almost no difference between the i5 and i7. For high loads, you'll see some impact in using the i7 but I find that when I'm doing a *lot* of CPU intensive work, I'm on the power charger anyway.

So I said a bunch of words up here and have an addendum to append:

It seems to be quite hard to keep the i7 machine at a low-to-medium load. I noted loads above and what I was doing but I think mail is more intensive than I previously thought. I find I'm getting about 1-1.5 hr less on average use with the i7 than I previously thought. Either way, the fiance has been using the i5 and doing roughly the same sorts of things as me (sans any high-load stuff) and is consistently getting better battery life.

I'm going to take the i7 back despite liking the speed, it isn't meaningfully faster than the i5 for me even as someone that does mobile software dev. I find I have no issues with the i5 when working in Xcode or playing games.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Ran the Battery Health app on the refurb 15" retina I just got. It says my current max is higher than the original max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

japtor posted:

Not sure it has anything to do with it, but "CleanMyMacHelperTool" is apparently this thing, so just being a third party service that could possibly gently caress things up I'd disable/remove that as part of the troubleshooting procedure. Otherwise I'm not sure if Facebook contact syncing has anything to do with it, but I guess that'd be another thing to try disabling/reenabling or something. Those could all be a red herring though, but it'd be a start.

Otherwise the usual stuff, reset PRAM and SMC and that stuff, and repair disk and permissions. Latter under recovery mode just so nothing is open I guess.

I'd go with OWC (long time trusted and reliable Mac shop), $57 and covered for a year by them:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MD592LLA/

edit-vvvvv yeah try that first. If you mean it's a 2012 model by "previous generation" there's a good chance it's under warranty to begin with.

BobHoward posted:

Take the borked charger to a fruit stand. They replaced mine when the insulation on its cord frayed even though it was half a year out of warranty at the time. No hassle either. There are no guarantees once you're out of warranty, but they're often pretty cool about taking care of you anyways.

Thanks for the tips! I don't know if I they'll replace the charger, despite being under warranty, because my cousin attempted to repair it by soldering it or something; it looks like someone hilariously tampered with it, haha.