Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stick100 posted:

This tablet is garbage, wtf is Samsung thinking. $400 for a tablet that would be on par with $400 tablets from 2 years ago.

The Note 10.1 at least has a stylus/wocom to blame for it's low resolution.

EDIT: Well this has an IR blaster so you can control your TV/Other IR stuff. Which is totally useful for tablet but still $400, WTF Samsung!

The Tab 3 has an Intel chip. I wonder how that will effect the development community.

Also, this:

Galaxy Tab 3 Specs posted:

Business and Office Enterprise-Ready; Corporate E-mail/Calendar/Contacts; Microsoft® Office-compatible ; Mobile Device Management; On-Device Encryption (ODE); SAFE™; Virtual Private Network

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Can anyone recommend me a screen protector for a nexus 7? I have the official flip cover but I feel things might get stuck between the screen and the cover and scratch it.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Trickyrive posted:

Can anyone recommend me a screen protector for a nexus 7? I have the official flip cover but I feel things might get stuck between the screen and the cover and scratch it.

Monoprice has a set of 2 for $3.75 + shipping.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... if I want to get an Nexus 10 (I'm still debating on the Nook HD+), are there any discounts available?

Also, is there a good stand for it anywhere?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

fondue posted:

Thanks, I appreciate that!

I think I'll just wait-out for the next big thing, the new nvidia processor sounds good and I have been anticipating a refresh. Samsungs offer to buy my TF201 as a 'trade-in' to lower the price of the Tab 3 was enticing until I really compared the specs.
Yeah, if you're wanting something that will feel speedy into the future and are replacing an older tablet, I don't think I could even recommend the Nexus 10. While the Nexus 10 is fine, I'd be surprised if there aren't a whole bunch of much faster alternatives 6 months from now.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

waffle posted:

Yeah, if you're wanting something that will feel speedy into the future and are replacing an older tablet, I don't think I could even recommend the Nexus 10. While the Nexus 10 is fine, I'd be surprised if there aren't a whole bunch of much faster alternatives 6 months from now.

Thanks, I'm beginning to think a new tablet will be a Christmas buy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

waffle posted:

While the blank is fine, I'd be surprised if there aren't a whole bunch of much faster alternatives 6 months from now.

This game never ends.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The Tab 3 has an Intel chip. I wonder how that will effect the development community.

Also, this:

Business and Office Enterprise-Ready; Corporate E-mail/Calendar/Contacts; Microsoft® Office-compatible ; Mobile Device Management; On-Device Encryption (ODE); SAFE™; Virtual Private Network

:psyduck:
That just means it comes with Polaris Office Trial or something.

Only the 10" Tab 3 has an Intel chip, and it doesn't mean anything more than it does for those few phones that use Intel chips too. Java apps work, ARM apps don't, and no apps are ever written for Intel.

Vinlaen posted:

Can the Nook HD+ play 1080p MKV files and/or stream them off an SMB network share? If so, how does it work? What happens if the video uses AC3/DTS audio encoding?

I'd like to use the Nook HD+ as a dedicated video player that I can load with different movies AND automatically download video podcasts overnight so I can watch them the next day, etc.

However, I heard it might not be capable of playing 1080p files...
AC3/DTS cause MX Video Player to drop to software decoding since it doesn't have hardware acceleration for them, so no, your 1080p files are going to cause problems.

And it can't play files off of of SMB network shares natively either.

Why not just get an Archos? Your requirements are like the one thing they are made for.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 28, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cardboard Box A posted:

I've had good luck with some combination of MX and Dice Players, with ES File Explorer. Sometimes you have to use Open As -> Video in ES, but it works.

This is on a Nexus 10, though.

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
I bought an Asus transformer(TF101) 2 years ago and of course now that it's just out of warranty it has poo poo the bed. The thing just doesn't want to turn on anymore. I've read some stuff about problems with deep sleep, but I can't even turn it on in safe mode anymore. (power + volume down button).

Has anyone had a similar problem and/or a solution?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Have you tried holding down the power to get it to reboot? In theory holding it down for like 20 seconds should hard-reboot the device much like it would by pulling the battery.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

AC3/DTS cause MX Video Player to drop to software decoding since it doesn't have hardware acceleration for them, so no, your 1080p files are going to cause problems.

Why not just get an Archos? Your requirements are like the one thing they are made for.
I'm not familiar with the Archos but it looks like they have a lot of models available. However, what is the podcast support like? I want something to automatically download video podcasts nightly, etc.

Anyways, can any android tablets play 1080p files (with AC3/DTS) over an SMB share without stuttering? (or NFS, since my NAS can share using either protocol)

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Cakefool posted:

This game never ends.
Yeah, I usually agree and try never to say stuff like that. In the case of the batch of Android tablets out now, though, they're all really starting to get pretty long in the tooth.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

waffle posted:

Yeah, I usually agree and try never to say stuff like that. In the case of the batch of Android tablets out now, though, they're all really starting to get pretty long in the tooth.
Now is a good time to wait. The new high-end 10" tablets should all be 2560x1600 and the 7" ones should be 1920x1200. The Tegra 3 is also a year-and-a-half old, so buying a device with one of those in it is a terrible idea. A15 devices are right around the corner. Barring the Nooks HD+, there's no good buys right now.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

After doing some more research, I've decided that I'm going to try the Nook HD+. For only $179 (32 GB) it seems like an amazing deal and it does support MPEG-4/H.264 hardware decoding so hopefully it will work fine for my needs.

If nothing else, I'll let my toddler use it because he beats the crap out of everything anyways, heh.

By the way, how well do Flash games work on any of these tablets? I know they will kill the battery and use lots of CPU, but are they generally pretty smooth? There is one particular flash game that I've been wanting to play (Jacksmith) and it would be nice to play on a tablet...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Flash is lovely and unsupported since Android 4.1. You'll either have to sideload it and install a browser that can use plugins like Firefox, or use a browser with Flash built-in. I wouldn't recommend either. How well it works mostly depends on the complexity of the Flash file.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

waffle posted:

You can still say these exact same words a year from now about everything that gets released in the next 6 months.

The Nexus 10 is pretty loving awesome, and so far there hasn't been anything made that runs slowly on it. This will continue to be the case for a while into the future. You can make all sorts of idiotic claims about this and that getting faster and faster, but what's the point if the applications aren't maxing out existing tech? If your goal is to have the fastest on-spec machine on the planet, regardless of function, then yours is a sensible argument. If you want a device that plays all the games out right now and can also do whatever other crap you want, there is absolutely no reason to wait 6 months to buy a tablet. Something else will be faster 6 months from then too. And 6 months from that.

There's a lot of crap tablets out right now, but so far I haven't found a single thing that the Nexus 10 won't do well and there's nothing at all to suggest that it won't remain awesome for another couple of years since people who are developing things right now are doing things for the current generation of tablets.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Dietrich posted:

On my nexus 10 I occasionally get (for one frame or two) 10 or 20 lines of the screen black out then immediately resume function.

Bad screen? Should I be calling samsung?

Can I get a response on this please? Anyone else have a similar issue?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The Nexus 10 is the best Android tablet that no one buys, because if you're spending $400/500 on a 10" tablet, why not get an iPad? It's got great hardware, especially the screen and speakers, but it doesn't matter because no one writes applications for 10" high-resolution Android devices. There's a lot of things I use my Nexus 7 for instead because things just look wrong on the better screen.

Dietrich posted:

Can I get a response on this please? Anyone else have a similar issue?
That's a defect. If you bought it from Google, call them. If not, good luck with Samsung.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah, I'm noticing a ton of apps were designed for a phone in mind so all that real estate gets criminally misused. The Facebook/Messenger apps are really bad about this - everything appears in one column and the buttons are really really tiny. The Facebook Messenger app is really annoying because the little chat box is like 20 pixels high and at the very bottom of your screen.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Nexus 10 is the best Android tablet that no one buys, because if you're spending $400/500 on a 10" tablet, why not get an iPad? It's got great hardware, especially the screen and speakers, but it doesn't matter because no one writes applications for 10" high-resolution Android devices. There's a lot of things I use my Nexus 7 for instead because things just look wrong on the better screen.

As the owner of a Nexus 10, I agree with this. I actually wanted an iPad but my company bought my tablet for me and they wanted me to have a Nexus 10 to round out the various tablets we have available for testing stuff.

99% of android apps are for a phone. Very few have tablet versions. Not even the big ones, like Facebook and Twitter. The screen is pretty much wasted.

And I have to disagree that nothing slows down the Nexus 10. Several games I play get pretty choppy. It's a lot of pixels to push.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That's a defect. If you bought it from Google, call them. If not, good luck with Samsung.

I got it from staples, so I guess I better call Samsung and dig up my receipt. Thanks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

1st AD posted:

Yeah, I'm noticing a ton of apps were designed for a phone in mind so all that real estate gets criminally misused. The Facebook/Messenger apps are really bad about this - everything appears in one column and the buttons are really really tiny. The Facebook Messenger app is really annoying because the little chat box is like 20 pixels high and at the very bottom of your screen.

android_tablets.txt

Get used to it.

Atleast on a 7" its not really noticeable.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Me: My screen is getting corruption issues when rendering 3d scenes.
Samsung: Have you installed any apps?
Me: uhm, yeah?
Samsung: The apps are causing the screen corruption issue.
Samsung: Remove all of them.

:bang:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dietrich posted:

This is why you buy from the Play Store.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dietrich posted:

Verizon tried to pull that poo poo on me the last time I called them about my FIL's GNex. When they said we should run it in safe mode for a while is when I snapped and now he has a RAZR.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... I've had the Nook HD+ for about 24 hours and I'm extremely impressed. For only $150 it seems to work perfectly fine for playing videos and even streaming them across my network.

However, it is a bit sluggish (and yes, I've installed CM 10.1) but it's really not that bad. Flash games are almost unplayable though.

Is this also the case even with the Nexus 10 or other more powerful Android tablets? I know that Flash is garbage but I'm wondering if most of the slowness is because of the OMAP4470 CPU or if Flash games are unplayable on ALL Android tablets.

(I'm trying to play Jacksmith if anybody has a Nexus 10 or other tablet and wants to give it a try...)

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 30, 2013

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinlaen posted:

So... I've had the Nook HD+ for about 24 hours and I'm extremely impressed. For only $150 it seems to work perfectly fine for playing videos and even streaming them across my network.

However, it is a bit sluggish (and yes, I've installed CM 10.1) but it's really not that bad. Flash games are almost unplayable though.

Is this also the case even with the Nexus 10 or other more powerful Android tablets? I know that Flash is garbage but I'm wondering if most of the slowness is because of the OMAP4470 CPU or if Flash games are unplayable on ALL Android tablets.

(I'm trying to play Jacksmith if anybody has a Nexus 10 or other tablet and wants to give it a try...)

Did you sideload the Flash apk, or are you using a workaround?

edit: also, what browser are you using?

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 30, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's probably poo poo but here's a tablet for $109

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-double-power-9-inch-tablet-bundle

32gb Nexus 7 for $220

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-1-asus-nexus-7-tablets-32gb

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 30, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

This craptacular tablet's specs posted:

• 9” diagonal 800x480 LCD multitouch screen
  • 1080p HD resolution

Under what moon math does 480 equal 1080?

A 9" 800x480 screen will look absolutely terrible, notwithstanding the false "1080p" advertising. 800x480 is what 4" 2010-vintage Android phones had to offer, so just imagine that stretched out to 9".

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

...never use Groupon for anything. Seriously.

32gb Nexus 7 is $189 through Buydig:

http://deals.ebay.com/5000377867_As...fepn=5335869999

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

woops. I was referencing amazon

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Just picked up a Nook HD+. I'm really liking it so far, but are some apps from Google Play not available on Nooks? For instance, two apps I use on my phone are 1weather and PYKL3 radar. Neither show up when I search Google Play from the Nook, and when I access Google Play from my computer, I just get the message "This item is not compatible with your device." Any idea why this is?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DorianGravy posted:

Just picked up a Nook HD+. I'm really liking it so far, but are some apps from Google Play not available on Nooks? For instance, two apps I use on my phone are 1weather and PYKL3 radar. Neither show up when I search Google Play from the Nook, and when I access Google Play from my computer, I just get the message "This item is not compatible with your device." Any idea why this is?

I believe you have to flash CyanogenMod to use it as a fully fledged Android tablet. Otherwise some apps will just puke.

I could be wrong though, they might just be incompatible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DorianGravy posted:

Since it doesn't have GPS, I think any app that uses GPS is filtered out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

EugeneJ posted:

Since it doesn't have GPS, I think any app that uses GPS is filtered out.

The Nook version of the Play Store has all sorts of restrictions, but if you flash CM10 you'll have access to poo poo like Yelp.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
If you don't want to flash full CM10, I think there are zips around that are small mods to the Nook version of Android.

Have a look here.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

A guy says he got Asus support to tell him the specs on the Nexus 7 refresh arriving this month:

https://plus.google.com/photos/110005594506973962154/albums/5894753622452455441

Grain of salt, etc. but it appears it will have 1080p screen, Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, Android 4.3, and... LTE :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah tier 1 chat support definitely has the specs. :rolleyes:

edit: Wait this is ASUS who are complete fuckups. Maybe it is legit!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I do a lot of portrait oriented typing on Nexus 10, and have to say that Kii is easier than SwiftKey in many regards. There's an overload of buttons I'll never use, but the "broken" keyboard isn't as wide as SwiftKey's, so I don't have to keep stretching my thumb out there. Don't know if anyone else has any keyboard advice, but I'll probably stick with this if nothing better comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Syrinxx posted:

Grain of salt, etc. but it appears it will have 1080p screen, Snapdragon 600, 2GB RAM, Android 4.3, and... LTE :confused:

If it's like the current Nexus 7 they'll probably have a wifi and a cellular model.