Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wheats posted:

This tumblr post actually explains some of her intentions with Murkoph. If you don't trust her to continue to handle her story after how well done this chapter has been, I don't know what to tell you.
That actually sounds pretty terrible. At least he's not the bigbad like I was kinda fearing he might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Wait so this creeplord out of nowhere is, like, an actual capital-C Character? The gently caress?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seoinin posted:

Wait so this creeplord out of nowhere is, like, an actual capital-C Character? The gently caress?
Yeah; I imagine how he got there and why will be explored at one point but his entrance really wasn't handled all that well. Not really any foreshadowing or references beforehand or even a real setup.

Sette just finds this creepy dead dude trapped in a wall in the khert, she's desperate for someone to protect her from the giant bird chasing her, this guy comes off like a pip so she lets him out. I guess it's in character but there's no real build up; he literally just grabs her and tries to rape her the instant he's loose.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Actually, that Tumblr post does help a lot. Particularly the part about Murkoph being a henchman in Unsounded. (A henchman to whom, I wonder.) And she's dead on about the importance of good villains to a story.

I don't think anybody here doubts that Ashley Cope can write a good story. The problem is that when the creator and the reader have different levels of interest in a character, you can get all kinds of problems. It's not the character itself, it's the mismatch that generates issues. The author will tend to allow a lot of room for their favorite character to appear in and influence events, and the less interested the audience is in that character, the more difficult this makes it to enjoy the story.

The classic example of this is Wesley Crusher. Gene Roddenberry really, really liked that character no matter how much the fans hated him, so we got to see a lot of him in the series when Roddenberry was alive, and he was always saving the day or being smarter than all the adults or being the dramatic or moral focus of an episode when really most people wanted him to be ejected into space via the nearest airlock. It's not that Wesley Crusher couldn't have been a good character, in small doses, but he just refused to go away and kept using screen time that could have been spent on more interesting characters.

Murkoph is the same way. There just isn't a lot of interest to him; he's the dude whose reaction is and will always be "gently caress him, who cares if he's sad, let's make out" and the fact that he's saying this to a little girl makes it more horrifying but not more interesting. He's a rampaging Id who exists just to be inappropriate but smile a lot so we can't hate him too much, and we've all seen his like in a dozen stories. That's why his placement as a henchman is a positive thing. If he's not supposed to be the main villain (or, God help us, a protagonist), his screen time will be limited and hopefully directed towards some specific ends, which might avoid part of the issue of him just eating up the whole story. That type of character works best as a henchman anyway; in small doses he might be okay.

Now, that being said, it's possible that Ms. Cope can make him interesting as time goes on; we'll see. Lord knows I found Sette kind of irritating in the first chapter (and still do when I reread it). I don't think it's too likely, though, and that's also because he's a favorite of hers who predates the story. She's got a strong conception of his character already and it's unlikely that she'll evolve it in the same way she might evolve Sette or Duane's characterization as the story progresses. Murkoph is basically the rapomatic murdertron who will make wisecracks and crude jokes about the other characters, and he's probably just going to stay that way.

E: In terms of his appearance, I think sometimes it's easy for the author to forget that most of her readers aren't following her tumblr, formspring, alternate formspring where she answers questions in-character, personal website, etc. People who are watching all that stuff don't need much introduction to Murkoph.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 28, 2013

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Fabricated posted:

Yeah; I imagine how he got there and why will be explored at one point but his entrance really wasn't handled all that well. Not really any foreshadowing or references beforehand or even a real setup.

Sette just finds this creepy dead dude trapped in a wall in the khert, she's desperate for someone to protect her from the giant bird chasing her, this guy comes off like a pip so she lets him out. I guess it's in character but there's no real build up; he literally just grabs her and tries to rape her the instant he's loose.

Speaking of "where the hell did this guy come from", where are we and what's going on? I've honestly lost track in the months of Crazy Magic Trip and tragic flashback.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

E: In terms of his appearance, I think sometimes it's easy for the author to forget that most of her readers aren't following her tumblr, formspring, alternate formspring where she answers questions in-character, personal website, etc. People who are watching all that stuff don't need much introduction to Murkoph.

Ohhh I get it now. That blog post about Murkoph is the first I've seen of all that other stuff. I was completely sideswiped by the way she was talking about him like he was an established character already instead of just some inexplicable prick-inna-wall.

The fact there's all this supplemental material explains a little why some of the story seems so drat opaque.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 28, 2013

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

A summary of recent events:

Every night Duane turns into a semi-mindless zombie. Last night one of the villainous henchman broke into their hotel room. Duane killed him, ate large chunks out of him, and was playing with his viscera in the morning when Sette came in. Normally he turns back to his normal self in the daytime, but that wasn't happening for reasons that haven't yet been revealed. He also obeys her commands while zombified if she uses this magic amulet, for reasons that haven't yet been revealed, and that didn't work either. She opened the curtain in case sunlight would help, but all that did was cause his shadow to turn into a weird hole in reality that she subsequently fell into (while keeping zombie-Duane off her with a magic sex toy stocked in the room).

She spent a while apparently poking at the next/previous buttons and other controls around the comic, because she's outside her normal reality and apparently can see that stuff.

Then she landed in the Khert, the underlying structure of reality in Unsoundedland, which is very colorful. After poking around through a few miscellaneous areas (including one where she saw Geffendur priests doing the ceremonial twin murder/cannibalism thing they do and one where she cut a bunch of fetuses free from the ground for some reason) she was chased by a bird with breasts and ended up hiding in Murkoph's cave. She unwisely let him out because she thought he might defend her from the bird, but it turns out that he's a bad person and was going to rape her. Then the bird showed up with Duane's green translucent ghost, which apparently wanders around the Khert when he's busy being a zombie. It defended her from Murkoph but as a result of contact with it Sette ended up experiencing some of his memories.

The memories involved him hanging out with his family, being a giant dork, standing up to his government on principle, hitting a douche, showing off his staff skills, getting beaten up for his principles, and then being murdered alongside his favorite daughter and left in the snow.

Now we're back in the Khert and Murkoph is hanging around being a jerk. Sette is sad because knowing about Duane and seeing him as a human being is making it harder for her to treat him as a mindless weapon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Seoinin posted:

Ohhh I get it now. That blog post about Murkoph is the first I've seen of all that other stuff. I was completely sideswiped by the way she was talking about him like he was an established character already instead of just some inexplicable prick-inna-wall.

The fact there's all this supplemental material explains a little why some of the story seems so drat opaque.
The whole world is Tolkien-level (in detail) established from like a decade of her RP gaming group, so it has this enormous backstory/canon it pulls from.

This is really cool because it means if you have any spergy interests in minutia it likely has a sensible, canon answer rather than being "A wizard did it shut the gently caress up so I can tell my story" thing. If you're observant you can suss out a shitload of story; unlike say Lost where people discovered the writers were literally just pulling it out of their asses and had no real plans so shallowness was mistaken for depth.

This is also really bad because it's hard to boil a lot of it down to explain the backstory within the confines of the comic. Stuff is significant to characters and you don't know why, but a comic isn't great for again, Tolkien-level asides explaining every little thing.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 28, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

murdered alongside his favorite daughter
Just to be clear, she's his only daughter too. The other girl is a friend of Mikaila from the neighborhood, and his other child is a son.

Also I think Ashley is aware that many of her readers don't really like Murkoph. I doubt that'll change her plans for the characters much, though.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Okay, I counted, and I'm going to point out that you are having basically hysterical reactions about a character that has appeared in a grand total of 10 pages (11 if you count a page where he's in the background without saying anything.)

Unsounded is 482 pages long as of today. If you guys hate him so bad that you can't stand 10 pages of him, maybe you should just drop the comic.

At no point has anyone, anywhere said you are supposed to like or sympathize with Murkoph, he's a bad guy. It's OBVIOUS he's a bad guy. Nobody emerges from a cloud of unhappy ghosts and is supposed to be the cool dude you enjoy.

The fact that Glass enjoys writing him has less to do with anything other than the fact that villains are REALLY fun to write. They are more proactive and have fewer restraints on their behavior; they can say and do things that heroes never can.

I seriously am starting to think the only reason people are reacting this way to Murkoph versus Starfish is that Murkoph isn't fat and gross-looking and Starfish is, because Starfish is canonically WAY worse than Murkoph at this point and nobody has lost their goddamn minds about the fact that he's in the story.

Also, a lot of the supplemental material is stuff that will eventually appear in the comic, but is not plot-critical. It just hasn't been explained yet because there hasn't been a narrative point in the story to do it (like the details of the Gefendur cannibalism.)

Also seriously, please, point me to the exact panel in those 10 pages where it's so evident that we're supposed to find Murkoph awesome.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah, the dude's a creep but it's pretty obvious he's supposed to make you uncomfortable. I don't think it's that out of line considering some of the other characters and situations this comic has had. I mean we just saw a man and his daughter get murdered in the streets in a rather graphic and protracted fashion. I've really enjoyed the comic up till now, I don't see any reason to lose faith because of one character who's been in a handful of pages.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

From the Formspring, author's mouth that you are not supposed to like this guy:

http://www.formspring.me/GlassShard/q/474976436193608704

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, that's good, at least she's aware of why people don't like him. And it sounds like she doesn't want him to be there as her "pet character" either. Hopefully, once he gets tied into the story better it will be less off putting. Or maybe just as off putting, but logical within the context of the larger story.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

From the Formspring, author's mouth that you are not supposed to like this guy:

http://www.formspring.me/GlassShard/q/474976436193608704

Faith restored!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Clearly we're not supposed to like him as a person, but what about as a character?

What gets me is that we know more about what Murkoph thinks about this whole situation than what Sette does. It's not just that he's a terrible person, but that he's an important terrible person - he gets lots of distinctive wordplay, he knows more about what's going on here than anybody else, he shows up and gets to be Sette's guide to the Khert, we're treated to many close-up panels of how much he's enjoying himself.

I think that last point is the important one. It call comes down to the face. In the scenes with Murkoph in it, the panels focusing on him are far more emotive than those about Sette, and there are more of them. Sette is afraid, of course, but it depicts her feelings only enough to explain her actions, while Murkoph's feelings are more like an end in themselves.

Look at this latest page. Five panels. The first one is Murkoph in a complicated pose, full of body language, expressing his boredom. The second is a small partial shot of Sette's face, pensive. The third panel is Murkoph laughing, the fourth is him finally stopping his smile to enter a sort of sinister, intimidating pose and lean in (once again, there's strong body language here). Finally the fifth panel has Murkoph menacing Sette from behind. Just from those visuals, not reading the words or acknowledging our prior knowledge about who these characters are, it's clear that this page is about Murkoph, and what he has to say.

Giving the audience a good look into a villain's mindset every now and then is all well and good, but the entire flashback sequence has now been bookended by sequences which focus on Murkoph. His emotions are in the position of being the ones that are most clearly expressed, which is a privilege ordinarily reserved for the viewpoint character. In other words, despite the hero of the story having a powerful epiphany right over there, this lavishly designed and monstrous newcomer is being written like a protagonist.

I think it's reasonable to express concern that the amount of fun Ashley Cope has getting into this guy's head might lead to him being given disproportionate significance.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fabricated posted:

The whole world is Tolkien-level (in detail) established from like a decade of her RP gaming group, so it has this enormous backstory/canon it pulls from.

This is really cool because it means if you have any spergy interests in minutia it likely has a sensible, canon answer rather than being "A wizard did it shut the gently caress up so I can tell my story" thing. If you're observant you can suss out a shitload of story; unlike say Lost where people discovered the writers were literally just pulling it out of their asses and had no real plans so shallowness was mistaken for depth.

This is also really bad because it's hard to boil a lot of it down to explain the backstory within the confines of the comic. Stuff is significant to characters and you don't know why, but a comic isn't great for again, Tolkien-level asides explaining every little thing.

It's kind of amazing how half the people who take a look at this comic complain how it's poo poo because every single person is an exposition fountain talking about how all this intricate backstory and world-building works for the benefit of the reader, and half the other people who try to read it end up complaining because everything is too unclear and vague and only explained in offsite appendices that they don't read. Ashley just can't win, can she?

And for gently caress's sake there are people out there that think we're supposed to like Murkoph?

edit: Just because I'm not sure it's clear, I'm agreeing with you Fabricated not attacking you.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 28, 2013

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm thinking Murkoph's being there at each end of the Duane bit will simply be for juxtaposition. Settle has a similar (albeit way more tame) naive/nihilistic view of the world as Murkoph in that the world and the people in it are there to serve her purposes, whether for fun or profit. That's just how she was supposedly raised. See how she has treated Duane for most of the comic: as a tool and punching bag.

Murkoph is the same, just turned up to eleven. He views the world as his plaything, but instead of having mostly harmless fun he disregards anything and everything that doesn't keep him entertained in some way. Duane, on the other hand, was a highly moralistic man and loving father, husband, brother, and patriot.

Sette's jarring look into Duane as a good person and a tragic character, beside her experience with a sociopath that holds a similar view of the world as she does, is probably going to help her grow up a bit and realize she needs to be more aware of how she treats people/the world.

It'd be a ham-fisted way of doing it, but going about things in a somewhat obtuse manner is hardly unheard of in this comic.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I mean, I haven't read any of the non-comic materials so chances are good that if Ashley wrote some 30 page diatribe about how Murkoph is her best-written and favoritest character ever and she wants to make kisses with him I've missed it, but here's what I've seen of this guy in the comic: He tricks Sette into freeing him from a prison literally made of the souls of the women he's killed and then expresses his gratitude by attempting to rape her.

And then the reaction to this guy isn't "wow, a loving rapist pedophile murderer, this guy is clearly scum we're supposed to hate". It's not even "Jesus god, this horribly written character is ruining the tone of this light-fantasy piece where a different pedophile bandit eviscerates children and fills their still-mobile hollow torsos with living silver to sell on the black market". The response is "Oh my GOD Ashley is doing EVERYTHING IN HER POWER to make us love this guy and is clearly gushing over him and wants him to be the new main character of the comic forever and breaking the style and setting over her knee to do so!"

It's just mind-boggling, as if I've started reading some sort of bizarro-world fever-dream Dominic Deegan mock thread where the audience is glorifying the rapist as a hero instead of the author. It's like reading Dance of Dragons and going "Wow this George R. R. Martin fellow sure likes to go on and on about this Ramsay Bolton fellow flaying people's fingers and starving them to death and hunting down girls with his pack of dogs. It's SO OBVIOUS that it's his favorite pet character he wants everyone to like and who he actually wants to be the hero of the Song and Ice and Fire series!"

I just don't get it.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 28, 2013

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Funny that you mention DD because this pacing is starting to get mookian. So we just got out of a month long flashback within a 2+ week long acid trip into the magical ether (I guess) within this city where we've spent at least a year screwing around in. When is Mookie going to remember the plot? :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rannos22 posted:

Funny that you mention DD because this pacing is starting to get mookian. So we just got out of a month long flashback within a 2+ week long acid trip into the magical ether (I guess) within this city where we've spent at least a year screwing around in. When is Mookie going to remember the plot? :v:

You're right, revealing a part of Duane's backstory is so completely irrelevant to the plot of Unsounded I can't imagine why she thought it was necessary to do at all.

Maybe Dominic Deegan, where you could fling poo poo in any direction and still hit something valid, has made everyone complacent or something, but just because Unsounded isn't perfect doesn't mean you can take the same approach.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 29, 2013

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not saying its poo poo or the Duane flashback was anything other than great, just that a 2+ month long aside kinda kills the focus on uh whatever was happening before this. I'm sure if I read this straight through in one sitting it might seem like less of a meandering detour. v:shobon:v

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 29, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, I haven't read any of the non-comic materials

That's why.

Ashley Cope posted:

I suppose it's my fault for spending twelve years filling up my galleries with pictures and comics of him. He's always been a catharsis for me; a reason to cut lose and draw and write horrible poo poo for no real reason. But this existence of all that playful and meaningless stuff's made a bunch of people pass prejudgment in a really weird way that I've honestly never seen before. If the character had never been seen anywhere outside of his very few pages so far in the comic, I don't think anyone would be giving a crap.

A good chunk of the comments for his introduction are basically "Yay Murkoph! Awesome!" and the next few pages also have comments such as this:

Crazy person posted:

Murk's mouth looks verrrrry nice. I think if I have to be eaten, that would be the mouth I'd like to eat me.

The lesson here is that internet comments are terrible; but anyway between the creepy fans going "sooo dreamy" over a stitched corpse that rapes people and the side material that engendered said creepy fans, there was reason to believe it's a character we're supposed to love. After all, those readers who had been exposed to him earlier do love him...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rannos22 posted:

I'm not saying its poo poo or the Duane flashback was anything other than great, just that a 2+ month long aside kinda kills the focus on uh whatever was happening before this. I'm sure if I read this straight through in one sitting it might seem like less of a meandering detour. v:shobon:v

That was kind of harsh of me, sorry. But from your title I can tell you like Gunnerkrigg Court, right? It's kind of like complaining that the past few chapters of that have gotten in the way of the crew having a big fight scene with Jeanne, because Tom forgot the plot.

Cat Mattress posted:

That's why.

A good chunk of the comments for his introduction are basically "Yay Murkoph! Awesome!" and the next few pages also have comments such as this:

The lesson here is that internet comments are terrible; but anyway between the creepy fans going "sooo dreamy" over a stitched corpse that rapes people and the side material that engendered said creepy fans, there was reason to believe it's a character we're supposed to love. After all, those readers who had been exposed to him earlier do love him...

This is an utter shame, and I choose to continue not reading any of the material outside the comic.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2013

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I started reading the non-comics materials after the first time the thread started proclaiming the comic totally ruined by Murkoph's presence. Everything I've seen has led me to believe that she is not, in fact, going to throw away the story we've been seeing so far to turn it into a rape-murder party because she's a drooling fangirl. A lot of the fans of her older stuff are pretty creepy, but as far as I can tell she's not any weirder than a lot of nerds. I don't like the character either but the amount of hand-wringing that goes on in the thread every time he's on a page is kind of ridiculous.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think Bongo Bill already said most of what I would have, but a couple of other things:

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I seriously am starting to think the only reason people are reacting this way to Murkoph versus Starfish is that Murkoph isn't fat and gross-looking and Starfish is, because Starfish is canonically WAY worse than Murkoph at this point and nobody has lost their goddamn minds about the fact that he's in the story.

It's probably worthwile to contrast Murkoph and Starfish as villains.

1) Let's start right away with their physical appearance. Since you mention it, yes it helps that Starfish is not supernaturally attractive, but it isn't so much the appearance as the attention that's called to it. The most recent page is a great example. We've got almost a quarter of the area devoted to what amounts to a cheesecake shot of a rapist. I'm not saying it's wrong to have attractive villains, but the emphasis on that aspect of the character is something that's going to make people worry about the author's opinion of the character.
2) Starfish is integral to the plot already, and Ms. Cope has very carefully laid a lot of groundwork to explain why. He's one of the prime movers behind the entire thing at this point. Murkoph is some crazy dude in a cage that just showed up out of nowhere and started talking like he's important. His perceived level of importance to the plot is at odds with the attention devoted to it.
3) As far as we know, Starfish's only actual power is that he's amoral, kind of clever, and has some money. He manages to be the leader of a gang, some of whom DO have special powers, just on that basis. Murkoph is an unkillable murder-zombie. The latter might make a better villain in some stories, but in this one the interplay between philosophies and politics is as important or more important than people smashing each other over the head with stuff. Starfish fits into that universe better because he can participate on that level, albeit with an absolutely disgusting philosophy.
4) Nobody has ever said Starfish is awesome. The author has said before that Murkoph is. Starfish is an effective villain, and good for the story, but "awesome" feels a lot more like a term of personal praise than something you would say about an effective villain.

Now all of that having been said, I'll repeat what I mentioned before: the formspring post where she talks about how she sees Murkoph's role in this story made me think this whole thing might work out okay after all. If he just ends up being a crazy guy that floats around the plot, it'll probably be fine. I think before reading that, though, it was pretty reasonable to worry that the dude who was the author's character in a role-playing game, who is on the front page of her website playing a blood-spattered guitar, who she's drawn a zillion pictures and mini-comics of, and who she said was the basis of the entire story to begin with, might be a problem if he showed up in the middle of the plot.

Cowcaster posted:

This is an utter shame, and I choose to continue not reading any of the material outside the comic.

That's probably the wisest course, honestly. The other stuff about the world is really fascinating, but it does meander an awfully long way from the comic. So far I think we've mostly gotten the information we need when we need it (with the occasional minor head-scratchers, and slightly under-emphasized stuff like Murkoph's introduction). I mostly dodged the other stuff until we got to Alderode and I wanted to find out why dudes were being burned alive in the town square and I never really felt confused about things.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Basically the author is drawing cheesecake shots of a naked creepshow murder-rapist getting all touchy with the child protagonist and we're assuming we're supposed to be getting off on it instead of being horrified and repulsed. SA and the internet in general has ruined our ability to perceive media as anything except fetish material. I think the author intends Murkoph to be a legitimately scary creep that makes us worry for the safety of any character he is in the same room with.

That said, we don't know anything about him right now other than that he talks a lot with an incomprehensible accent, doesn't wear clothes and looks like some angsty teenager's self-insert character. And that he rapes a lot. Not a lot positive marks there, but I'm hoping we see him get developed more as a threat and properly menacing character later on. Right now we really don't have much to go on and what we've seen so far has little to no subtlety and all the hallmarks of awful characters we've experienced in the past.

It doesn't help that we kind of had the character spoiled for us immediately after his introduction by reading this thread, too. I imagine we're supposed to have gradually realized Sette has accidentally released a very very bad person from his prison right about now, but instead since we already know about the character we're reading this exposition as the author rubbing our faces in how nasty this guy is.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

I suppose the worry over Murkoph is a bit unfounded- I do have faith in Ashley's ability to tell a story, and usually I'm an advocate of separating the character of an author from their work- so if all the Murkoph stuff she writes and draws is in her eyes just a cathartic thing, well I can understand that.

I guess what skeeved me out so much about him was just the nature of the non-comic stuff I've seen of him. A comic of Murkoph cutting off his head so he can suck his own dick, a chibi-style drawing of a gleeful Murkoph wearing a woman's severed breasts; those sort of things really kind of sicken me, and while I know Unsounded doesn't shy away from depicting horrible things, Murkoph's out-of-comic appearances take it to a whole other level. It's not my story and it's not my call, I just really didn't want to see that sort of thing start happening in this comic, because I feel it would take away from my enjoyment of the narrative. But what's been said makes sense, and I guess I'll just trust that Ashley Cope understands that most people don't find emotional release in watching Murkoph do repulsive things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I was iffy at first but I'm more than willing to give Ms. Cope the benefit of the doubt.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

EgoEgress posted:

I suppose the worry over Murkoph is a bit unfounded- I do have faith in Ashley's ability to tell a story, and usually I'm an advocate of separating the character of an author from their work- so if all the Murkoph stuff she writes and draws is in her eyes just a cathartic thing, well I can understand that.

I guess what skeeved me out so much about him was just the nature of the non-comic stuff I've seen of him. A comic of Murkoph cutting off his head so he can suck his own dick, a chibi-style drawing of a gleeful Murkoph wearing a woman's severed breasts; those sort of things really kind of sicken me, and while I know Unsounded doesn't shy away from depicting horrible things, Murkoph's out-of-comic appearances take it to a whole other level. It's not my story and it's not my call, I just really didn't want to see that sort of thing start happening in this comic, because I feel it would take away from my enjoyment of the narrative. But what's been said makes sense, and I guess I'll just trust that Ashley Cope understands that most people don't find emotional release in watching Murkoph do repulsive things.

Haha goddammit I'm starting to lose some faith again. If he does some crazy poo poo like that, I really hope (and believe) that it'll be relevant to something other than lolrandomness.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, I was iffy at first but I'm more than willing to give Ms. Cope the benefit of the doubt.

I've seen her posts on another forum and her comments re: Murkoph pretty much say outright that she's fully aware how repulsive he is (as if the art itself didn't confirm it - he might not be wearing a shirt but he's downright slimy with drool, it turns the stomach). I'm pretty sure she knows full well the right audience reaction to evoke with his character, and that it isn't "ooooh, Murkoph-sama~" no matter how much the usual hordes of mentally cracked fans might want it to be.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Counterpoint: I have read a twitter post wherein the user fantasizes about drawing crotch boobs on cartoon ponies and fetishizes forcing abortions on said crotch-boob ponies. Yet there's nothing within MLP itself that even contributes to its lovely, psycho fans. Fans are disgusting and weird, even when the creative work is about as innocuous as it could possibly be, and if people get off on goddamn cartoon ponies with zero sexual element, it's basically impossible to make any character with so much as an iota of sexuality and not have some weirdos on the internet drooling into their genitals about them, regardless of how hosed up that actually is.*

Also, I'd put $5 down that Murkoph does none of the things in Glass's random sketches in the comic itself. Hell, she has a sketch in her DA showing what happens when a chibi-Duane eats a cupcake and it pops back out through his empty ribs; I don't expect to see that show up in the comic at any point, either. She has also drawn Murkoph as a jawbreaker - like, the candy. The very original, totally discarded character of Sette was made when Glass was 15 and was an angsty half-angel with wings and no tail (she actually put that in the back of the Kickstarter book, I thought it was hilarious.)

As somebody who is a pretty big fan of Unsounded and who does follow basically every external source that isn't closed off (like the old RP boards), I can tell you that there's a shitton of non-cannon info floating around, and if you're on the fence about Murkoph as a character, ignore all side info (because most of it won't be canon) and just read the comic itself. The reaction I've seen in this thread is totally unwarranted and kind of baffling, especially since the people most up in arms are clearly not up on the Formspring and the like.

*Some of Unsounded's hosed-up fan brigade think STARFISH is sexy, I have no words. They wanted a pinup of Starfish as a vote incentive. And yet, nobody thinks we're supposed to be rooting for Starfish!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

*Some of Unsounded's hosed-up fan brigade think STARFISH is sexy, I have no words. They wanted a pinup of Starfish as a vote incentive. And yet, nobody thinks we're supposed to be rooting for Starfish!

You're... absolutely sure that's not a joke, right? Because it sounds like a joke.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Darth Walrus posted:

You're... absolutely sure that's not a joke, right? Because it sounds like a joke.

Nnnnno, trust me, I saw the comments too, it was no joke.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
For god's sake he could at least imagine up a pair of pants or something.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

For god's sake he could at least imagine up a pair of pants or something.

I'm so sorry, the comic just keeps setting up these parallels. Someone make it stop :ohdear:

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat

Wheats posted:

don't like the character either but the amount of hand-wringing that goes on in the thread every time he's on a page is kind of ridiculous.

Yes, this, and I do wonder if said hand-wringing would even be happening here were Unsounded written by a dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

bigbigtruck posted:

Yes, this, and I do wonder if said hand-wringing would even be happening here were Unsounded written by a dude.

Actually, I wonder if there'd be quite this level of hand-wringing if the author was male and Murkoph was a chick - as in, I don't actually know the answer to that question.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing that bothers me about it (besides all the reasons already stated) is that it is based on almost nothing in the comic. It started before he even appeared because people made assumptions after reading her off-site writing and such. If no one had seen that, this would be very different, I imagine; lot of people still wouldn't like the guy (I wouldn't, and don't), but we wouldn't have people worrying that he's the harbinger of the comic suddenly turning to poo poo out of nowhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

bigbigtruck posted:

It'd be a lot worse. Murkoph would be suspected of being a self-insert.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Looking back on my posts earlier in this thread, I didn't have a very dire opinion of Murkoph when he first appeared. I think that what happened is that I had no exposure to Murkoph outside the comic, and so didn't have any material to base an opinion on besides the little that appeared in Unsounded. It was only once I saw some of the extracurricular stuff he gets up to that I got worried. As i said, said stuff was really disturbing to me, and I began to worry that he was going to do the same poo poo in the story itself.

As I looked more into what's been posted here about Ashley's plans for him my fears were quelled a bit. I don't feel my initial fears are entirely unjustified, but I'll admit I got a bit overblown in my worries.

bigbigtruck posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think that would have changed my reaction at all. It's not the sexy aspect that weirds me out, it's the fact that Murkoph has been shown doing really horrible stuff, and while Unsounded is far from shiny and clean, seeing said stuff pop up in the comic itself might have made me uncomfortable enough to stop reading.

If you've ever heard of a comic series called Crossed, a similar thing happened to me when I read that. The first volume had some incredibly loving brutal stuff going down, but there was an interesting story being told and I felt there was at least a sense that the horrible stuff wasn't entirely (though it definitely was partly) for shock value. But after that, the depravity just went to another level and I felt there was nothing else to the story but "look at these terrible people doing terrible things". Perhaps seeing the Murkoph stuff reminded me of that experience and I was coloring my perception of Unsounded with it, I don't know.