Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Cleric paralyzed on the first turn, probably for the rest of the battle. This is consistent with my experience with Next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh joy, another throwaway encounter. Also, is it just me, or am I the only one slightly uncomfortable with the term "humanoid?"

Yeah, 'humanoid' and the ironic racism against halflings is making me WAY more uncomfortable than I would normally be.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Two players paralyze in the surprise round.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Piell posted:

Two players paralyze in the surprise round.

Scratch that, it looks like three players were paralyzed? I think? It's hard to follow.

EEYUP THREE OUT OF FOUR PLAYERS ARE PARALYZED.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
C'mon, TPK in the playtest, lets turn it up a notch!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
This is the most interesting part of the playtest because this shows me exactly how much of a pain in the rear end these mechanics are. I really think some of the players are going to sit out the fight completely.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Save or die motherfuckers :smug:

(I don't like binary status effects)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Who is alive and who is dead, already

gently caress

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
WHat happened to not having fiddly modifiers, and advantage being the only thing that affects stats etc? Cover is -2 again.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Wait it's over? They're literally just breaking the session down for us. That was nothing. We saw nothing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
HOly poo poo they said 'it's a 4e action point'

The feature is loving doomed.

E: it's amazing how little of this background, you know, came out in the game.

The real impression I get, more than anything, is just that Mike Mearls is a loving terrible DM. He spent a lot of time talking at the players, his descriptions were dull, and perfunctory, and didn't invite further questions and comments...

I mean, the system doesn't much help OR much hurt it; it's just that he's really using it badly.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 28, 2013

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I coulda used my cunning action. I coulda been a contender!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Instead of just telling us their abilities after the fact and how cool they are, how about using those abilities DURING the fact and SHOW us how cool they are?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
They should have said Action Points are an amazing 3e innovation from Eberron, not some disassociated MMO mechanic. :v:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
There is an inner 'alpha' testing cycle? That is completely bewildering.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
They're testing out Action Surge for Fighters? Isn't that already available for Fighters once they hit level 11+? Did they not test it out before?

Rogue's Cunning Action sounds like it's basically bringing back minor action utility powers. And combined with Action Surge... they're going to hand every class some sort of extra action mechanic, aren't they?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

isndl posted:

They're testing out Action Surge for Fighters? Isn't that already available for Fighters once they hit level 11+? Did they not test it out before?

Rogue's Cunning Action sounds like it's basically bringing back minor action utility powers. And combined with Action Surge... they're going to hand every class some sort of extra action mechanic, aren't they?

Fighters get it once per short rest. Rogues get it once per round.

D&D Next: gently caress you, fighters.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Going back to my hopes for this stream: I'm running my first game. My other game is run by a GM with (at a guess) 10 years experience. That table had decades of experience.

In the last session of my game, a PC surfed an exploding robot dog into a spaceship.

In the last session of the 4e game I play, we questioned a vital NPC and made a decision that will utterly change the game world.

In the stream, the game explicitly designed to make me excited about 5e, they ran about in some sewers or something, and did some stuff with orcs. :toot:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This is that ghoul multi-attack-paralyze thing that happened:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Nothing in that playtest presented the mechanics of Next. I literally have no idea how this game functions other than DM fiat. It's also laughable that there was no wizard, can't risk showing off how much it overshadows everything else.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bedlamdan posted:

EDIT: I've said this elsewhere a little bit ago, but: Either get a grid or a game that doesn't need it. They're not saying the Emperor is wearing clothes, they're saying he doesn't need pants.
I've been saying that since I first saw a playtest packet. This "you don't need a grid! (But we're keeping AoOs, reach and 5' steps)" system is a horrid clusterfuck.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ritorix posted:

This is that ghoul multi-attack-paralyze thing that happened:

This and the disadvantage a player got for sitting down while the orcs attacked where the only things uniquely "5E" about the entire session. :(

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
So setting aside the prospect of a low-level monster making three attacks per round, any one of which can paralyze for ten rounds on a hit - why are elves immune? Is there any actual reason?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

petrol blue posted:

Going back to my hopes for this stream: I'm running my first game. My other game is run by a GM with (at a guess) 10 years experience. That table had decades of experience.

In the last session of my game, a PC surfed an exploding robot dog into a spaceship.

In the last session of the 4e game I play, we questioned a vital NPC and made a decision that will utterly change the game world.

In the stream, the game explicitly designed to make me excited about 5e, they ran about in some sewers or something, and did some stuff with orcs. :toot:

Honestly, it's hard to specifically blame 5E for this although 5E didn't exactly bring anything amazing to the table either, but this would have been a boring session no matter what system they'd run it under. Dungeon World, 3.X/4E, Palladium, Phoenix Command...this is just a dull session regardless.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Why are elves immune? Because they have always been immune.

Why? ..uh...

If you want to see how Next functions, you are better off watching goons die horribly one after another in the Mines.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly, it's hard to specifically blame 5E for this although 5E didn't exactly bring anything amazing to the table either, but this would have been a boring session no matter what system they'd run it under.

I totally agree. I'm not criticising the system here, more the fact that this was the most exciting single session that the designers who know all the tricks of the system could come up with.

e: To put it another way - if you're selling a new car, you don't show an advert of it parralel parking, you show it screaming round corners, set to awesome music, and so on. :iiaca:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 29, 2013

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Breaking it down, it was just bad overall. They did nothing to show us what can we do with Next that can't be done with any previous edition, and they failed to be entertaining as they played through the game. It is not exciting to hear someone else ask questions like "How dark is it and how far are they," constantly.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Did I miss anything at the beginning re: interaction or exploration?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Idea for the next contest: create a one-off to show 5e at its best and sell it to people.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It was basically your bog-standard oldschool D&D game. Which is sort of like watching the Golf Channel.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Did I miss anything at the beginning re: interaction or exploration?

Interaction and exploration was literally "roll a check." It wasn't even, "I ask around after the slavers once I get into town and am rolling charisma." They just entered town and then Mearls prompted them for Charisma checks.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

petrol blue posted:

I totally agree. I'm not criticising the system here, more the fact that this was the most exciting single session that the designers who know all the tricks of the system could come up with.

e: To put it another way - if you're selling a new car, you don't show an advert of it parralel parking, you show it screaming round corners, set to awesome music, and so on. :iiaca:

I wonder if we will be able to point at them not having a Wizard at the playtest table, for how they never noticed what Wizards are in Next.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ritorix posted:

It was basically your bog-standard oldschool D&D game. Which is sort of like watching the Golf Channel.

I could slap a free retro-clone down on the table and run a better session then the one I just watched. And point of fact, I have done that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

petrol blue posted:

Idea for the next contest: create a one-off to show 5e at its best and sell it to people.

Isn't that what just happened? :rimshot:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

ocrumsprug posted:

I wonder if we will be able to point at them not having a Wizard at the playtest table, for how they never noticed what Wizards are in Next.

I wonder if maybe it was a deliberate omission, to avoid the awkward questions about how no other player got to do anything. Seems like a big hole in the group if it was to happen naturally.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I could slap a free retro-clone down on the table and run a better session then the one I just watched. And point of fact, I have done that.

I think that all they were trying to show off was: you could run old-school D&D adventures via Next.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I could make a joke here about how they're simply showing off that Wizards are now a module but :effort:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Kai Tave posted:

I could make a joke here about how they're simply showing off that Wizards are now a module but :effort:

Ooh, I get it now: 5e is free to play, but wizards are based of freemium? (I hate that I typed that word.)

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I recall a singularly lovely demo WotC did in the very early days of 4e -- a bunch of people who worked there who were apparently mostly new to 4e, handed pregen 20th level characters and run through a tactically fairly complex combat, something involving lanes of glowing fire on the floor. The game went about as well as you'd expect -- I remember everyone opening with their big daily, then missing, then spending an action point to use an at-will so they didn't do nothing on the turn; two of three people doing that in rapid succession. Anyway, at the time I thought they couldn't have made 4e look less fun if they'd tried.

So I guess what I'm saying is I doubt lack of a wizard in this demo was the end result of high-level strategic planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here's the recording: http://www.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/423148626

Thanks, guy on the D&D forums.

• Locked thread