Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If he's a student, his student body or university may have a free legal consultation service/day. At least, my undergrad did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I've never been to Oregon and I'm definitely no lawyer, but many ex-cops do speak their strange tongue :). In the unlikely event your brother's case is adjudicated by the laws of Oregon, he might be amused to learn that it is illegal (source) to use a negative-option billing program as part of a sales promotion unless that option is "clearly and conspicuously disclosed".

His next step is to read the agreement to see which state's laws he's dealing with so he knows what to tell his lawyer. The better-prepared he is in his question, the more likely he will be to get his question answered on the cheap.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're going to sue him for $90? How can they not lose massively on that proposition?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That's $90 plus "costs". But don't worry I'm sure their crack team of investigators is paid a fair wage at market rates :rolleye:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Can someone please explain to me why he should not send an email to cancel and also issue a chargeback, thereby covering his rear end in adhering to their ridiculous policy?

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Arcturas posted:

If he's a student, his student body or university may have a free legal consultation service/day. At least, my undergrad did.

He's only taking a single class this term as he technically "Graduated" a week ago from UO, albeit a few credits short. So, he's still kind of a student but has his diploma, I don't really know how that whole thing works.

flakeloaf posted:

I've never been to Oregon and I'm definitely no lawyer, but many ex-cops do speak their strange tongue :). In the unlikely event your brother's case is adjudicated by the laws of Oregon, he might be amused to learn that it is illegal (source) to use a negative-option billing program as part of a sales promotion unless that option is "clearly and conspicuously disclosed".

His next step is to read the agreement to see which state's laws he's dealing with so he knows what to tell his lawyer. The better-prepared he is in his question, the more likely he will be to get his question answered on the cheap.

That is a very interesting link, and I will be sure to pass it on to him. Thanks! I think this is something better interpreted by a lawyer and not me.

baquerd posted:

They're going to sue him for $90? How can they not lose massively on that proposition?

They haven't threatened suit yet, it was in regards to the interesting statement in their ToS. It was more "if they do decide to sue him post chargeback, what next?

flakeloaf posted:

That's $90 plus "costs". But don't worry I'm sure their crack team of investigators is paid a fair wage at market rates :rolleye:

editing out internet detectiving.

e:

NancyPants posted:

Can someone please explain to me why he should not send an email to cancel and also issue a chargeback, thereby covering his rear end in adhering to their ridiculous policy?

He did e-mail to cancel and requested a refund. They said "no" to the refund, but I assume (need to verify with him) they did cancel the service. He was scared of the wording in their ToS and didn't want to go the chargeback route without looking into what they could potentially do in return should he reverse the charge with the bank.

e: VVV Agree. Will advise him to do nothing without a lawyers go-ahead. Just to make sure he doesn't fight scum with scummy actions.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 27, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Without having read the specific agreement I can't be positive, but from previous experience with scams like this he needed to send the cancellation email within N days of receiving the discounted product or he would be charged the full amount. N has now passed, so he's on the hook for the full purchase price. The company could have a no refunds/returns policy that precludes an exchange (they won't accept the product back for %insert_health_reason), and if he successfully petitions for a chargeback he ends up with both the product he was supposed to pay for and the money, which would be fraud. That's the trap.

The right answer is to find whatever consumer protection law specifically forbids this kind of negative-option billing and invite the company to stand opposite a real lawyer in a real court and explain why their deceptive business practice should be allowed to continue. The company would almost certainly not step wilfully into that arena.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Thanks! I appreciate it and will tell him to talk to a lawyer about what may or may not happen should he chose to go this route.

Edit: Nevermind. I thought this was a question of jurisdiction.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 26, 2013

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
So I received a letter from the US Department of Justice Victim Notification Service about some guys charged with Counterfeiting and Forgery, based on their possession of stolen tax refund checks. I didn't receive a state or federal refund check last year, but I was dealing with a lot of college poo poo at the time, and just forgot about it and never reported it or filed a police report. The letter and the website are fairly vague on any details beyond the fact that charges have been filed several states away from me.

Is there any chance I will receive restitution for my stolen checks, and is there anything I should do to make it happen?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Roxors posted:

So I received a letter from the US Department of Justice Victim Notification Service about some guys charged with Counterfeiting and Forgery, based on their possession of stolen tax refund checks. I didn't receive a state or federal refund check last year, but I was dealing with a lot of college poo poo at the time, and just forgot about it and never reported it or filed a police report. The letter and the website are fairly vague on any details beyond the fact that charges have been filed several states away from me.

Is there any chance I will receive restitution for my stolen checks, and is there anything I should do to make it happen?

Investigate the reply address and any phone numbers. You may be getting phished.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

patentmagus posted:

Investigate the reply address and any phone numbers. You may be getting phished.

I don't think it is. The website it directed me to was https://www.notify.usdoj.gov and the login information it gave me worked. The stamp on the envelope is the US official mail stamp and it is from the correct postal code. The number it gives for the call center also matches up with the one here http://www.justice.gov/criminal/vns/about/doj-avns.html

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Looks legit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
U.S. LAW GOON TRIVIA

Technically, this is a legal question; I just happen to already know the answer to it.

In a suit concerning Real Property, a Municipality(city) has filed suit to demolish the structure on the real property pursuant to a violation of a City Ordinance. The property is situated wholly in County X, the City has brought suit in County Y. Defendant makes a challenge to the Court's jurisdiction and the venue on the grounds that the property is not located in County Y. Defendant loses the challenge. Why?

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 28, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The city operates at the pleasure of the county, which can't hear a suit against itself?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

The city operates at the pleasure of the county, which can't hear a suit against itself?

Nope. Counties (and County Entities) bring suit in their own District Courts all the time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

blarzgh posted:

U.S. LAW GOON TRIVIA

Technically, this is a legal question; I just happen to already know the answer to it.

In a suit concerning Real Property, a Municipality(city) has filed suit to demolish the structure on the real property pursuant to a violation of a City Ordinance. The property is situated wholly in County X, the City has brought suit in County Y. Defendant makes a challenge to the Court's jurisdiction and the venue on the grounds that the property is not located in County Y. Defendant loses the challenge. Why?

The city is in more than one county?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

There are no courts in County Y? The Defendant lives in County Y? The City decisionmakers' office is in the part of City located in County Y? The suit was filed in federal court and you're playing an elaborate trick involving civ pro and removal stuff?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

blarzgh posted:

U.S. LAW GOON TRIVIA

The defendant lived, was organized, or ran a business in County Y?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
The court has a flag with a fringe on it, meaning it's sitting in admiralty?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The attorney for the City is golf buddies with the judge in County Y, and the defendant is not.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The defendant is the only judge in County X somehow.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The city is in more than one county?

DINGDINGDING

In a suit to enforce a city ordinance, Jurisdiction and Venue are proper in the county in which the city is located! If the city spans two counties, Jdx is proper in either, and so a challenge to the same fails!

I just learned this today, and as far as I can tell, its the only exception to the "law of the situs". Im sure there are others, but I thought it was neat.

The other answers were good, but ultimately, conflicts of interest (only judge) are matters of recusal, and thus Venue, not jurisdiction. Every county has a district court, and when there arent enough judges to go around, several counties will share districts, and judges from contiguous counties will actually "ride circuit", serving multiple counties, and thereby avoiding the solo judge/solo court problem.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 29, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

Every county has a district court, and when there arent enough judges to go around, several counties will share districts, and judges from contiguous counties will actually "ride circuit", serving multiple counties, and thereby avoiding the solo judge/solo court problem.
Actually, Todd County, South Dakota has no courthouse. All cases are heard in Winner, Tripp County, SD.
Random legal knowledge, I love you.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Actually, Todd County, South Dakota has no courthouse. All cases are heard in Winner, Tripp County, SD.
Random legal knowledge, I love you.

Well there you go. "It depends" wins again, as the only, always correct answer to any legal question.

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title
I have a problematic situation with a house I own, that someone has been renting out for me (acting as landlord) for a number of years.

Facts are as follows:

- Most recent tenant has left and will be ending their lease early because electricity bills were too high ($300+ over the winter)
- Electricity bills were sky high because electric heat pump wasn't configured correctly (there is a jumper that should tell the heat pump to kick on the backup electric, but it was set to try to use oil, which was no longer present, so the heat pump ran constantly)
- the landlord installed the heat pump, and it's possible that he installed it incorrectly from the beginning, though there is no proof to support that

The tenant owes me almost $2500 in back rent (before 8% commission of landlord)

So now, the situation is that I'm taking over management going forward, but he wants to continue to receive payments from the now vacated tenant (And therefore take his 8% commission for doing exactly nothing, beyond sending me smaller checks than he receives from the actual tenant)

In addition, his intention is to take the original deposit and use it for covering some of the rent he is owed (he says that one month he paid me the rent, only to have the tenants check bounce, meaning that he should be paid that rent up front to recoup).

I feel like this may be his fault, but I have no proof other than an actual licensed technician saying "the jumper was set to oil not electric", and I also don't feel that he should continue to take 8% commission from what the tenant is going to pay to cover what they owe for prior months, now that they've moved out.

Do I have a leg to stand on here? I feel like I'm getting screwed by my landlord for a problem that may well have been his fault to begin with, and don't know what to do.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Where is this taking place? Do you have a contract with the property manager?

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title

FrozenVent posted:

Where is this taking place? Do you have a contract with the property manager?

Virginia, South West VA if that matters. I do have a contract with him. I am not sure if I have one in hand, but it's a pretty standard agreement; he used from a local property management company as a template. I could provide that if necessary.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Bastian posted:

Do I have a leg to stand on here? I feel like I'm getting screwed by my landlord for a problem that may well have been his fault to begin with, and don't know what to do.

If he's going to handle collecting from the Tennant who left early, why not just tell him he can keep his job as long as you get your money on time? You can fire him as soon as he is late with a check. If the money keeps coming in you don't have to worry about it, because collection work isn't quick or easy and it is probably worth at least 8% to you.

If he isn't able to collect, you are losing income, he isn't doing his job, then you have grounds to fire him.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Expect him to argue that the tenant moving out wasn't a foreseeable consequence of his negligence, and that it's the tenant who should be suing him for the increased power bill.

For the other stuff, that contract should spell out how to proceed and I'd be very enthusiastic about reading it.

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title

bigpolar posted:

If he's going to handle collecting from the Tennant who left early, why not just tell him he can keep his job as long as you get your money on time? You can fire him as soon as he is late with a check. If the money keeps coming in you don't have to worry about it, because collection work isn't quick or easy and it is probably worth at least 8% to you.

If he isn't able to collect, you are losing income, he isn't doing his job, then you have grounds to fire him.

That's a fair point. I do feel like the tenant has been screwed here too. The result of that is that they owe me $2500, which they've agreed to pay me at $50/week at first, then $100/week. Gonna take a while.

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title

flakeloaf posted:

Expect him to argue that the tenant moving out wasn't a foreseeable consequence of his negligence, and that it's the tenant who should be suing him for the increased power bill.

For the other stuff, that contract should spell out how to proceed and I'd be very enthusiastic about reading it.

I don't have the exact one I signed on me at the moment, but below is a link to the sample contract he used, which should be very similar to our signed agreement.

http://ge.tt/8GmCcnk/v/0?c

looking back through my email, he had said that he needed to change some things on pages 3-4, but i'm not sure what.

Bastian fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 2, 2013

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title

flakeloaf posted:

something else worth noting is that I don't think the tenant knows any details about him being the one to install the unit, or the reason why the bill was so high.

He hasn't outright said it, but he seems to keep trying to lead me away from taking over, which would in turn result in me talking to the tenant and letting them know about what happened.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Bastian" poste="417077747 posted:

That's a fair point. I do feel like the tenant has been screwed here too. The result of that is that they owe me $2500, which they've agreed to pay me at $50/week at first, then $100/week. Gonna take a while.

Is that rate equal (or close enough) to your expected rental income? It sounds like it is a little low.

Also, (just out of curiosity) is that back rent, or the remainder they owe on the lease? If it is the remainder of their lease, the nice thing to do would be to let them off once you re-rent. This is required in some states (but not all). Even if your lease states that all the rent is still due if they break the lease, that is not always enforceable in all states (Florida, for one).
Your manager is attempting to get new tenants, right? In most states you have a duty to mitigate damages, and if you are just collecting money from them without trying to rent out the place, you may have issues if you ever end up in court. You may be limited to a certain term and a specific fee for expenses related to advertising and cleaning. This should be pretty easy to find out.

Bastian
Aug 8, 2004
Default Title
Bipolar, answers in-line:

Is that rate equal (or close enough) to your expected rental income? It sounds like it is a little low.
A) Not even close. Rent is $850/mo.

Also, (just out of curiosity) is that back rent, or the remainder they owe on the lease?
A) This only covers back rent owed through July. August 1st, a new tenant moves in

If it is the remainder of their lease, the nice thing to do would be to let them off once you re-rent. This is required in some states (but not all). Even if your lease states that all the rent is still due if they break the lease, that is not always enforceable in all states (Florida, for one).
A) Their lease actually runs through Feb next year; they've already moved in with their parents and will be released from their agreement at the end of July. At that time, I will be taking over management of the property.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Bastian posted:

He hasn't outright said it, but he seems to keep trying to lead me away from taking over, which would in turn result in me talking to the tenant and letting them know about what happened.

I'd say it's more towards you finding out he's been screwing you over somehow.

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
Tomorrow I go in for the closure meeting with the EEO investigator for my sexual harassment claim. As the complaintant, which documents am I legally allowed to view? Anything besides my NDA and intake form?

tishthedish fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 3, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My husband and I are new parents. What type of legal help should we look for in setting up guardianship arrangements should we both die and directing our life insurance appropriately and so forth?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

sheri posted:

My husband and I are new parents. What type of legal help should we look for in setting up guardianship arrangements should we both die and directing our life insurance appropriately and so forth?

You want a lawyer who specializes in wills, trusts, and estates. They'll handle most of it - guardianship arrangements might be outside their core competence but they should know someone who can handle that part if they can't.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

tishthedish posted:

Tomorrow I go in for the closure meeting with the EEO investigator for my sexual harassment claim. As the complaintant, which documents am I legally allowed to view? Anything besides my NDA and intake form?

Your company's internal EEO investigator or an EEO investigator from a government agency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores

JohnnyHildo posted:

Your company's internal EEO investigator or an EEO investigator from a government agency?

My company's HR EEO investigator.