Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Well my own train of thought is that your base has x amount of supplies and uses up so many per day and that there are negative consequences when you run out. I didn't touch the game for a few days and was pretty sure there were diary entries of things that happened each day I hadn't been playing. Now I know that survivors will drag in supplies as well, but when I loaded it back up I barely had anything left.

The answer to this next question is probably something embarassing like "the help menu" but where does the game tell you the extent of the offline simulation? I haven't seen it yet hence the questions in my last post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

coyo7e posted:

You are not affected by shutting it off for a week or a month or a year, any more than for shutting it off overnight.

Where do people come up with this poo poo and then get to angry about it, when it's not based on fact?

Okay so it's the same amount of resource decay whether you put it down for 24 hours or a week? That is a very good thing, and also means that it's even less of a persistent universe. Those two things are related. It would be even better if supplies don't drop at all real-time, but through game-time instead.

I like this game, but the persistent aspect is purely detrimental.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Mortabis posted:

I wrote a bunch of different replies to this, but they were all way to snarky. Sufficient to say, I greatly disagree with you.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

My Marcus died while I wasn't playing. Apparently he decided to go for a stroll around town and was murdered by zombies.

It was sad, but I actually thought it was a nice touch.

Then again, I want the game to be five times harder, more unforgiving, and more unpredictable, so my tastes my run counter to the general consensus.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Mortabis posted:

The persistent aspect is one of the game's main draws and unique features. I don;t see how you could like the game but not one of its main features. That's like saying "I love this Mario game, but what's with all the jumping?"

Not trying to sound like a dick, it just kind of dumbfounds me.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
I just picked this up yesterday and it's really fun, in some ways I am liking it more than The Last of Us. I have a quick question though, my main guy has the Powerhouse trait and after reading the OP I see that characters can potentially get that or Reflexive. Is there a certain level of Fighter or something else they will have this by? I have a good number of people I can control now and none but the main guy have either of them. If its a situation where if they don't have it by X level of fighter or something they will never have it then I'd like to focus on leveling other people who could potentially have it.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Supposedly they can acquire traits, but I've never seen somebody develop Powerhouse or Reflexes. In my experience, if they don't have Powerhouse when they first join you, they'll never get it. Somebody earlier in this topic claimed that he'd seen a guy get the Reflexes skill after doing a bunch of successful dodges, but I've never seen that happen.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Powerhouse and Reflexes is just something that people have, and can't be developed on a character that doesn't have it. Sometimes it's hidden and won't appear until after they start to level up their skills some. Ed does this, he doesn't have the Reflex skill at the beginning, but if you level him up some he'll get it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jonny Retro posted:

Powerhouse and Reflexes is just something that people have, and can't be developed on a character that doesn't have it. Sometimes it's hidden and won't appear until after they start to level up their skills some. Ed does this, he doesn't have the Reflex skill at the beginning, but if you level him up some he'll get it.
I'm not entirely positive this is correct, I originally was going off the assumption that characters could gain traits during play, but after I thought Ed gained Reflex, every other time I've restarted, I swear he has Reflex out of the gate.

I really wish you could "grind" your way to gaining skills like reflex or leadership or powerhouse however, after a lot more hours of playing I suspect not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Every time Ed has been playable for me he's had Reflexes. Maybe he just doesn't have it in the tutorial? :shrug:

I too kind of wish there was a way of unlocking those specialties, because I want to have seven stars down the whole character sheet on every character. I do love that skills like Ed's TV Trivia skill have methods for training them up, they're just impossible in the game setting--there's no opportunity for Ed to vote someone off the island over a cellphone, for instance.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

enigmahfc posted:

The persistent aspect is one of the game's main draws and unique features. I don;t see how you could like the game but not one of its main features. That's like saying "I love this Mario game, but what's with all the jumping?"

Not trying to sound like a dick, it just kind of dumbfounds me.

The persistence barely factors into the game, and to the extent that it does, it's negative. Imagine if in GTA IV you lost 10% of your money and a bunch of your best guns whenever you booted the game back up, and you had to go bowling with Roman to get them back. It's like that.

In terms of just beating the story, you can do that fast enough that the resource limitations never sting, and in terms of sandbox mode, it makes way more sense to have the resources drain by game time rather than real time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

Every time Ed has been playable for me he's had Reflexes. Maybe he just doesn't have it in the tutorial? :shrug:

I too kind of wish there was a way of unlocking those specialties, because I want to have seven stars down the whole character sheet on every character. I do love that skills like Ed's TV Trivia skill have methods for training them up, they're just impossible in the game setting--there's no opportunity for Ed to vote someone off the island over a cellphone, for instance.
I suspect a lot of skills were cut from being usable in-game and increasable, due to time/budget limitations. Stuff like Paramedic or Cooking could easily go up just by hanging out in the medical tent or kitchen. :(

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I suspect a lot of skills were cut from being usable in-game and increasable, due to time/budget limitations. Stuff like Paramedic or Cooking could easily go up just by hanging out in the medical tent or kitchen. :(

The most obvious example of this is Gossip - I'm pretty sure the relationship mechanics were originally supposed to be a lot deeper, with all the survivors having different opinions of each other that could be influenced by things like personality and mood, and with rumors spreading around the group that could have different effects on the group's relationship dynamics. None of that stuff actually made it into the final game, though, so it's just another useless flavor skill.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
My Beer Pong skill makes me funner to be around and better at throwing molotovs.

Does "Hates exercise" do anything negative? Sounds like it would be slower Cardio leveling, but it doesn't SAY it does anything negative.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mortabis posted:

The persistence barely factors into the game, and to the extent that it does, it's negative. Imagine if in GTA IV you lost 10% of your money and a bunch of your best guns whenever you booted the game back up, and you had to go bowling with Roman to get them back. It's like that.

In terms of just beating the story, you can do that fast enough that the resource limitations never sting, and in terms of sandbox mode, it makes way more sense to have the resources drain by game time rather than real time.

I can get behind the countdown making more sense if it were game-time, but I still like the simulation moving on while I'm not around. It makes it exciting to get back into the game because I don't know what's happened in my absence. Maybe slow down the day/night cycles slightly and have it run one in-game cycle while I'm out of the game so resource use doesn't get completely out of hand and I think that would be good.

It's ironic you bring up GTA, because 5 has you playing as a trio of guys rather than just one criminal and it was implied in at least one preview I saw that they'll keep up their tricks while you're not playing them, so you may drop in to play one and find they've already had to bribe their way out of jail after a car-chase gone bad.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
What does everyone think of the patch? I haven't got the too many infestations message since playing for about 5 hours today, so that's good I guess. I can't really notice any difference with the v sync change though, and my game hard locked for the first time ever today, so if that's because of the graphics update, that sucks.

Game is still very fun and I haven't ever gotten this much gameplay out of a $20 game, except maybe Minecraft. 2 seemingly small things that really really irk me though: you can't see which outpost you want to delete on the map itself, so you need to guess. Also, if you've searched something when you come back to the game later it becomes shiny like it can be searched again. As I'm playing the same game longer I am getting more and more "nothing found" messages all the time. Either respawn items in there, or leave the drat thing not-shiny so that I don't search it over and over and over again.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 29, 2013

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Athanatos posted:

About the end: Is it suppose to be a mystery what is on the other side of the gate? I didnt even get a chance to rotate the camera before someone said "oh my god what do we do now?" and it ended. Can you see something on the other side?

The story of the game is pretty rushed and under-developed: subplots just seem to end without any consequence. Like Ray: he seems like an interesting character, he gets fleshed out, then you never hear from him again, aside from his one line response to talking to him in the Court. The only one that seems to have any point is Becca and Quentin's if you reveal her secret, Quentin runs off and she's killed by looters. If you don't reveal it, they become closer. but that's it. Oh, and Lily has a minor subplot, but that's about it.

I guess material had to be cut for time reasons? Ray was pretty cool, I would have liked him to be in the game more. Then again, the story isn't the game's main appeal, really.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Mental Midget posted:

What does everyone think of the patch?

The controller sensitivity option alone made me happy. V-sync seems to have made a difference and the TMI bug seems to be gone. Plays pretty fuckin' well for me atm.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
For those of you really bothered by the offline simulation, I don't have my Xbox hooked to the internet and since it resets to the default date every time I turn it on, nothing seems to progress while I have it shut off. I'm not 100% sure on this, but the only time I have noticed a difference is when I hooked it up this morning to download the update. It kind of sucked because my game thought I hadn't played in a few years when I was online and camp morale was almost depleted entirely, but I figured I would throw that out there.
It also sucks because no one seems to get any rest or heal while I have the console off, though.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally after starting over and rushing to get the Warehouse base. I got lucky early on and had a mission where three girls instantly joined, which combine with the two from the army missions and I had enough to move since all the houses near the church had several crates of lumber in them.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Does anyone have a list of all the safehouse 'blueprints' somewhere? I kind of want to move out from the church but I don't want to waste a huge amount of time and resources if this new base turns out shittier than the old.

EDIT: Is there a way to see a person's stats like builder, cooking, non-combat safehouse skills like that?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 29, 2013

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Blackray Jack posted:

Does anyone have a list of all the safehouse 'blueprints' somewhere? I kind of want to move out from the church but I don't want to waste a huge amount of time and resources if this new base turns out shittier than the old.

EDIT: Is there a way to see a person's stats like builder, cooking, non-combat safehouse skills like that?

Snyder's warehouse. No need to look up the blueprints, this will be your best base for early and late game. Get there as soon as possible.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Since the patch, I've found a few zombies clipping through the floors of houses with only their torsos visible. They don't seem to be able to attack or to be attacked, just crawl around looking confused.

Also my Maya died during the break while I was waiting for the patch. First dead survivor that I actually liked. :smith: The rest of the group is busy variously moping, in-fighting and running off on suicidal missions; it feels a lot like herding cats, but I wouldn't be enjoying the game nearly as much without the persistent world elements.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had three people die during my first playthrough, and I was kind of cool it time.

Some random survivor died while I was away from the game before the patch. I came back and everyone was talking about how sad it was that Becki (or something like that) died. "What the gently caress happened to Becki?!" I asked, but never found out.

Another low stat survivor died because I went to search some houses, made too much noise, drew two hordes and a Feral. At least I got an achievement for that.

The one that hurt, however, was Maya, and she died suddenly and there was nothing I could do. I was on the ferris wheel scouting about. When I turned to climb the ladder the game did not grab on and she fell to her death. It was awful. the screen went red and pulsed and she screamed in pain for like 3 minutes. I tried hitting every button and tapping A real fast but nothing. I did a hard restart (I didn't think it had saved yet) and came back to the message that Maya was dead. To make maters worse, she had been carrying ammo and had fallen on top of a small building I couldn't climb up on to retrieve her stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mental Midget posted:

What does everyone think of the patch? I haven't got the too many infestations message since playing for about 5 hours today, so that's good I guess. I can't really notice any difference with the v sync change though, and my game hard locked for the first time ever today, so if that's because of the graphics update, that sucks.

Game is still very fun and I haven't ever gotten this much gameplay out of a $20 game, except maybe Minecraft. 2 seemingly small things that really really irk me though: you can't see which outpost you want to delete on the map itself, so you need to guess. Also, if you've searched something when you come back to the game later it becomes shiny like it can be searched again. As I'm playing the same game longer I am getting more and more "nothing found" messages all the time. Either respawn items in there, or leave the drat thing not-shiny so that I don't search it over and over and over again.
I am really pleased with the patch. I restarted a game and speed-ran out of the tutorial area (a good way to make the game harder early, for sure, is to skip all the loot in the tutorial area and then kill all your starting playable characters) and have been noticing a lot of smaller things that are different.

Music. I heard several tracks which never came up before, the patch seems to have effectively doubled the music at least.

Lowered Infestations. Yay!

Drugs wear off quickly. Holy poo poo that makes it tough to roll around with an exhausted survivor. When you get to -60 or 80 stamina they're almost unplayable, unless you pop your meth as soon as you get out of the car..!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 29, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Cars actually repairing is the biggest deal for me cause it's what I use to kill 90% of zombies.

I'm just trying to get through all the achievements now.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

coyo7e posted:

I really wish you could "grind" your way to gaining skills like reflex or leadership or powerhouse however, after a lot more hours of playing I suspect not.

I kind of wish this, but also I kind of don't, because the grab bag of skills makes the game more dynamic. If I'm running my group like an Alan-type character, it forces me to make decisions (weighing an individual's strengths vs. weaknesses, if they're "worth" keeping in the group). If I could train everyone to be a kung-fu sharpshooter ninja it would be somewhat irrelevant.

Athanatos posted:

Does "Hates exercise" do anything negative? Sounds like it would be slower Cardio leveling, but it doesn't SAY it does anything negative.

Maybe it changes dialog? I have a guy who has a trait to do with being scared a lot, and any time I set a new waypoint he's like "aw man I don't wanna do this" and such.

Mental Midget posted:

you can't see which outpost you want to delete on the map itself, so you need to guess

yeah I still hate this

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

I have 24 survivors now in my group and it's astounding how useless they all are. I have 1 medic and 1 cook in the entire bunch and that's about it. No mechanics, no green thumbs, nothing. I ran around the base watching all these useless people eating the beans I got for them and I was pissed at utterly useless they all are. About the only thing they can reliably do is run out and get stranded then call back to base crying for me to save them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Have you considered taking a few of them for The Long Walk and then trying to get Lily to find you some replacements? :unsmigghh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I did that a few times, and it's really fun to put a grenade in your inventory, maybe a few weapons you don't mind breaking, and then go looking for as much trouble as you can cause without ever healing. When you finally get into enough trouble that you're dying, just pop the grenade to send them off with a bang.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm coming to the end of my first playthrough and possibly my only one as I've sank about 20-30 hours in to it. It's been awesome fun but I don't know if I can be bothered to do the whole scavenging slog mechanic from scratch again. I've pretty much built everything too.

With that in mind, are there any cool bits hidden away that are worth a visit? It's not exactly hidden but I thought it was a cool touch driving along the main southern road and having to swerve to avoid the plane's wheel. I also came across a (fairly boring) letter in one house, are there many of those? Being able to see bits of a city outside the valley exit is a nice bit of world building too.

It's a shame the storyline is so bare bones. I was amazed that the Sheriff/Mayor bit lasted all of 2 missions and it looks like the Army section is going the same way (there's been no reason to explore the last town, other than to do the same things I've done everywhere else).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

I did that a few times, and it's really fun to put a grenade in your inventory, maybe a few weapons you don't mind breaking, and then go looking for as much trouble as you can cause without ever healing. When you finally get into enough trouble that you're dying, just pop the grenade to send them off with a bang.
You don't actually need the grenade/molotov/etc in your inventory, if it's the item you have currently selected when hyou put it into a locker, and then you don't change slots, once you get knocked down and to that stage if you haven't chaned item slots you can blow everything up, anyway.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So I did the "Kill Marcus and Maya at start" idea, mainly because the idea of playing as a random appealed to me. Got someone who was a drunk student with an eagle-eye. Okay, cool, let's go clear that infestation--and a loving feral got me. Next random was... well, very interesting. An army medic and handy girl with eagle-eye. Now I am morbidly terrified of losing her because she's a medic and a construction person.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can someone who can do two jobs do both at once?

I like this idea of killing the starting cast and then sticking with the random until they die and then playing the random replacement. Is there ever a game-over condition in this game?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Fwoderwick posted:

With that in mind, are there any cool bits hidden away that are worth a visit? It's not exactly hidden but I thought it was a cool touch driving along the main southern road and having to swerve to avoid the plane's wheel. I also came across a (fairly boring) letter in one house, are there many of those? Being able to see bits of a city outside the valley exit is a nice bit of world building too.

It's a shame the storyline is so bare bones. I was amazed that the Sheriff/Mayor bit lasted all of 2 missions and it looks like the Army section is going the same way (there's been no reason to explore the last town, other than to do the same things I've done everywhere else).

You can find the rest of the plane scattered around the world. And yes, there are more notes, but since the game randomly generates what you find where, I can't direct you to anything specific. I've found notes in bars and warehouses and houses, they range from "god I hope you find this, goodbye" type stuff, to background on the potential cause of the outbreak.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I am also interested in playing as a random as opposed to one of the 'main' characters, if they could ever be called one. How does one go about doing this?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 30, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's up with the crashed airplane anyway? When doing the latino dude's mission I passed the fuselage and was all wtf is this about. If the water is the infestation source that can't be what the wreck is...

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

I'm not entirely positive this is correct, I originally was going off the assumption that characters could gain traits during play, but after I thought Ed gained Reflex, every other time I've restarted, I swear he has Reflex out of the gate.

Yup, you're right. I just started a new game and Ed has reflexes. I don't know why I thought that.

I killed everyone off to play as a random character, and I got a guy with powerhouse and Marcus' voice. Very funny game.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Mortabis posted:

What's up with the crashed airplane anyway? When doing the latino dude's mission I passed the fuselage and was all wtf is this about. If the water is the infestation source that can't be what the wreck is...

The water is not the infestation source, it's the black plague source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am almost 100% positive that it's not possible to rescue the initial casualties in the courthouse, I have tried at least 6 times and it seems to trigger within seconds of you doing/declining Quentin's mission most of the time, so it's simply not possible to reach them before Lily's done on the radio. The two casualties' bodies spawned at the front entrance AFTER I showed up and cleared the zombies this time, I'm pretty darn sure there were no bodies in the entrance when I arrived within 10 seconds of the mission beginning, and I never saw those two alive.. :crossarms:

Blackray Jack posted:

I am also interested in playing as a random as opposed to one of the 'main' characters, if they could ever be called one. How does one go about doing this?
Once you reach the church, just walk Marcus and Maya off into the trees 40 feet and wait to get eaten. If you take all their gear off you won't be able to recover their packs for the influence bonus (which you will need, without a couple of decently-leveled.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 30, 2013

• Locked thread