Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Juc66 posted:

Someone could do it if they didn't want to make any money from it I suppose.
If I ever become rich I'm sure i"d throw money away on making some games that I know won't be commercially viable just because I'd like to see them, but then again kickstarter is good for that stuff too.

Non-freemium games seem to be surviving ok on iOS. Hell, you might even poach some customers who play timer-based games and suddenly realize "Wait, for $5 I can build my own city on my own time without being asked to buy energy crystals every 5 minutes to keep playing?"

That might just be a dream I have, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Juc66 posted:

Someone could do it if they didn't want to make any money from it I suppose.
If I ever become rich I'm sure i"d throw money away on making some games that I know won't be commercially viable just because I'd like to see them, but then again kickstarter is good for that stuff too.

On the other side of it, if I could actually sit down and stay focused long enough to program and finish a game, I'd put it out there for the same reason.

But I'm easily distracted. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Fallom posted:

Non-freemium games seem to be surviving ok on iOS. Hell, you might even poach some customers who play timer-based games and suddenly realize "Wait, for $5 I can build my own city on my own time without being asked to buy energy crystals every 5 minutes to keep playing?"

That might just be a dream I have, though.

I'd hope the concept of "I can actually control things and play a loving game instead of spending money on an energy meter to do nothing" appeals to some people. Maybe not enough though.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I finished the first play through of Alpaca 2 and I don't know. Anything. I don't know anything. What is this

If you can read moon runes and this is spoiling you, tough cookies, you are the necessary sacrifice. Tell us what it says!

I restarted, chose the right path, and my alpaca smokes again. Hail satan. Unfortunately, experience is not doubled on NG+.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I kind of don't want to play Alpaca 2 in the hopes it gets translated at some point because I feel like I'm missing out on so much. Also I have no idea what the new red bar in the top right is supposed to do.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Bummey posted:

I finished the first play through of Alpaca 2 and I don't know. Anything. I don't know anything. What is this

If you can read moon runes and this is spoiling you, tough cookies, you are the necessary sacrifice. Tell us what it says!

I restarted, chose the right path, and my alpaca smokes again. Hail satan. Unfortunately, experience is not doubled on NG+.

My Japanese is pretty bad, but I'll take a crack at it. Here's my super literal guess:

code:
Alpacas were the world.

In the beginning there was one.

For a time, everything went smoothly.

Inevitably, the problem was
To exist, there is a necessary moment. 

One you were expected to relive over and over again.

But if it didn't happen, surely it was an accident?
So, uh, yeah. My guess is as good as yours. Maybe someone better at this will come along and shed some light on it.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Virtual City is a good building cityish type thing. You have missions though. There's also Townsmen I believe.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

When I was downloading the alpaca game on my phone, I found this game by a different guy, which seems to be inspired the manga/anime Attack on Titan (all but one of his games are all evolution games):

https://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/titan-evolution-party/id661051843?l=en&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

The evolution genre, a new sleeper hit?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That's a great app icon but something about Titan Evolution just seems worse.

Also that dude seems to have made like five of these drat games.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
For a time, everything went smoothly

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

When I was downloading the alpaca game on my phone, I found this game by a different guy, which seems to be inspired the manga/anime Attack on Titan (all but one of his games are all evolution games):

https://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/titan-evolution-party/id661051843?l=en&mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

The evolution genre, a new sleeper hit?

hahahaha, I'll have to dl that, I hope I get to eat people jumping around on hook shots in it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

His evolutions in the other games look pretty hosed up. Just look at those cats.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh guys. Guys. Hey. The rare alpaca forms are pretty, uhh. They're something completely different.

http://i.imgur.com/lgNtk62.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jtNXOHk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pI9IGEr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AIiPdj4.jpg

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bummey posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh guys. Guys. Hey. The rare alpaca forms are pretty, uhh. They're something completely different.

That's not even the best one. I've only unlocked that one and one other, but the other is just wonderful. :allears:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Bummey posted:

I saw the outline of this one and couldn't wait to see it for real, so I clicked your pictures. It's even more magical than I could have imagined.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I've done both the endings for Alpaca Evo 2 and have 50% endings complete and about 87% of forms complete but I'm not getting any hints to additional forms like you get in Alpaca Evo 1. Not sure if I'm willing to go through each path again without at least knowing how many things I'm missing and how to get them. I was so glad to see that the right path gives you the smoking alpaca, though.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
Can someone please just take screenshots of all the evolutions so I can stop playing this boring grindy game

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
I'm working my way through evolution 11 in the first Alpaca game, am I about to kill god? Every time I think this game can't get any weirder, it does.

e: holy poo poo, I did. This "game" is so stupid and repetitive, but I just can't quit.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 29, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm working my way through evolution 11 in the first Alpaca game, am I about to kill god? Every time I think this game can't get any weirder, it does.

e: holy poo poo, I did. This "game" is so stupid and repetitive, but I just can't quit.

Short answer: :catstare:

The right tree in alpaca 2: the alpacening is just goddamn what

Literally lack words to describe the things I am seeing

If only you could see the things I've seen with my eyes you'd probably have to have Leonard nemoy perform emergency brain surgery you on a la fringe to permanently remove those bits from your mind.

I would be I'm too far gone

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I just hit level 5 of the right tree. Do you think it would be better or worse if we could read the descriptions?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

What is with these guys and their multitudes of heads?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's definitely better if you can read the descriptions since that gives you context of what the hell is going on. Also I can't believe alpaca 2 pulled a goddamn to be continued on me. I guess the reason why they don't give you 2x exp for your second playthrough is because you're supposed to do both path which counts as a single full playthrough? maybe? I'm only on lvl5 at the right side atm.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

SpookyLizard posted:

Short answer: :catstare:

The right tree in alpaca 2: the alpacening is just goddamn what

Literally lack words to describe the things I am seeing

If only you could see the things I've seen with my eyes you'd probably have to have Leonard nemoy perform emergency brain surgery you on a la fringe to permanently remove those bits from your mind.

I would be I'm too far gone

Not sure what some of you are raving about the right path. It's kinda similar to what you see in the first one. The left path is somewhat more original.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Holy crud, Colin Mcrae Rally is out on iOS. Are there any issues with it that make it not worth the 5 bucks?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Colin McRae's been dead since 2007, that's a huge issue.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

It's also not a great game to play with a touch screen.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I'm already several hours behind on this thanks to work, but I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned: Bar Oasis is free right now. Even if you're not a fan of animu imagery, with the current talk about Ace Attorney and Layton Brothers, there's probably at least a goon or two who's never heard of it/didn't want to shell out for it who'd enjoy it.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Bummey posted:

It's also not a great game to play with a touch screen.

Is there no motion controls?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

Animal Crossing + IAP = iso deco.

There's the Simpsons game, DragonVale, Tiny Tower, etc. That's the closest mobile gets to Animal Crossing, and there isn't much game there. You might find them entertaining regardless - kinda depends what your expectations are.

I believe Happy Street's the closest in terms of feel, but that's another "let's wait a lot" IAP game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Street used to be pretty playable without IAP. Now it's gotten much worse.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kimitsu posted:

I'm already several hours behind on this thanks to work, but I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned: Bar Oasis is free right now. Even if you're not a fan of animu imagery, with the current talk about Ace Attorney and Layton Brothers, there's probably at least a goon or two who's never heard of it/didn't want to shell out for it who'd enjoy it.

Is that like Cook Serve Delicious but just drinks?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

monkeytennis posted:

Is that like Cook Serve Delicious but just drinks?
In a similar vein, i've played a lot of http://appshopper.com/games/order-up-to-go

It's a port of a Wii game, and the controls translate pretty well. The object is to prepare every part of each meal Perfectly, get all the meals to the pass as close together as possible, and do all that as fast as possible. Oh and spicing stuff correctly for special customers. It's Free, but really you'll want to spring for the No Ads IAP because they are pretty annoying. Other than that, there isn't really a need to spend money, especially as once you get the second restaurant you can enter the FORTIFIED CHEF tournament which is pretty easy if you are any good at the game and will really supercharge your progress.

What can I say, I like cooking. And this is the best thing i've found for flipping burgers on the toilet.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Cry Havoc posted:

Not sure what some of you are raving about the right path. It's kinda similar to what you see in the first one. The left path is somewhat more original.

Its the animations, mostly.

Theyre whats truly terrifying.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Kimitsu posted:

Mm-kay then. :catstare:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Read a review of great battles medieval on android and it sounds pretty underwhelming. I would really love a good game like the original shogun or medieval total war, is there anything else?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Happy Street used to be pretty playable without IAP. Now it's gotten much worse.

Yep, and apparently it's going to get worse. It's a shame, I liked that game a lot.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Play Happy Street and buy yourself whatever the cost of Animal Crossing is in IAP.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pixel People is also OK in a dumb "why am I still pushing these buttons" way. Enjoyable for the first few days until the ever-increasing timers hit that point where you need to tap your buildings every 10 minutes for 3 days to expand your city or whatever.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Kimitsu posted:

It's really weird when goons here complain about anime in their video games. Because they're still playing video games with cartoons anyway and it just reeks of japanaphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Necroneocon posted:

It's really weird when goons here complain about anime in their video games. Because they're still playing video games with cartoons anyway and it just reeks of japanaphobia.
Art style can directly affect the atmosphere and impression of a game. Anime-style art is currently trendy, cheap and easily available. It can often be distractingly bad as a result. This impacts how the rest of the game comes across and not everyone is charitable enough to power through awful aesthetics.

A good case study for PC would be to compare Christine Love's (freeware) Digital: a Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story. The former has an art style and UI that are really well-suited to the themes, setting and story. The latter has obviously cheaply-procured hyper-anime artwork that poses a barrier to entry and is distracting in gameplay, and really isn't appropriate for the game.

Saying every video game is cartoons is like saying every non-photographic representation of life is cartoons and anime is cartoons so why are you a phobic of Nippon culture when you don't like this Deviant Art anime "re-imagining" of the Mona Lisa. People are entitled to being put off by cheap anime artwork, just like they can complain that retro-pixel art is played out in 2013.

As a side note, I'd love to see more well-written Digital: a Love Story type stuff on iOS. It's pretty well-suited for the interface but it's rare to find any quality entries that don't suffer from poor translation. Anyone have any suggestions besides Layton Brothers, Phoenix Wright and Secret of Castle Moreau?

• Locked thread