Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Quick wash and an oil change. I've been lucky with catching the Mobil1 oil and filter special at autozone when my changes are due. This time around they had Mobil1 with the Fram gold filters. I don't expect the fram filter to disintegrate and destroy my engine or anything but I've always trusted the Mobil1 filters.

I'll try to push those thoughts away remembering that I've got a 3800. I could probably run roofing tar and Mr. Coffee filters and do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Got the a/c blowing cold on the 240d. Found a bad pressure switch on the receiver dryer. Have it bypassed for now. The condenser aux fan wasn't getting power either. Got that sorted. Now I'm dropping 30 degrees under ambient in the vents. Don't think it gets better than that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not a whole lot. My back is still pretty screwed, but my brain still works fine. The coolant leak dripping down from the heater valve in the Niva has been bothering me, so I consulted the manual to see what the pipe layout is and had a look in the engine bay to have a look at exactly how the hoses connect to them.
The hoses were a couple of cm away from the clutch MC I replaced. They connect to pipes which go through to the cabin via a sort of rubber gasket thing. I could see small traces of coolant at the bottom of the gasket, and above the bottom of the gasket, below the pipe was damp.
For coolant to get to the gasket from the heater valve it would have to run uphill. So it's either two very minor leaks, or the hose was leaking at the clamp, running along the outside of the pipe past the gasket, going down the outside of the heater valve and dripping on the floor. This seems very likely, so I gave them a tighten, washed out the container I was catching the coolant drips in and will check it again tomorrow.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
Wouldn't even turn more than once, replaced the alternator, charged the battery, and put in coolant+sealer so it doesn't blow hot air in my face when it's already 95F outside. Getting to the bolt in the front of the alternator on a 94 civic is hard with fat goony hands.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Finally got around to a few things I'd been stupidly putting off. 1996 BMW 328is.
First, put on the A/C belt. 95% of the time was spent figuring out how to get leverage to compress the tensioner. Once I figured that out, 10 seconds. Blows cold now, just in time for me to take off for two months to the Arctic, but at least my GF will have A/C when she turns the wheels on my car.
Second, replaced the fuse for my mirror adjustment. I thought I'd screwed something up when I dug into the door a couple of weeks ago so I took it apart again, but at least now the door panel doesn't rub when I open it.
Third, washed it and even splashed some soapy water on the engine at the pay-and-spray. I should probably do that more often, dust dust dust dust dust
Fourth, gave the rust-attempted-repair patch a final once-over with sandpaper, then painted on the "Chassis Coat Black" that came in my POR-15 kit. Early verdict: The paints are decent if not spectacular, but the epoxy putty they supply is the poo poo. Fantastic stuff.
Finally, painted my aftermarket hood emblem after spending an hour or two over the last few days assembling it. The top of the skull fell off a few months ago, I guess cheap plastic dinosaur skulls don't much like the freeze/thaw cycles of Saskatchewan Springtime.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fucknag posted:

Yeah those airboxes are poo poo. Mine had a little 2-inch snorkel pointing towards the hole that leads down into the fender, drat thing broke off a while back.

Also doing that alternator belt is a pain in the rear end. I like how they made it so you can almost get the alternator loose from above, but then buried the nut for the pivot polt back underneath the intake mani so you have to go at it from underneath.

Yeah it sucks but you can get it without jacking the car with the employ of a few u-joints. I keep a floor jack and some jack stands in her trunk though so not that bad. I definitely think it's easier to get the belts on from the bottom.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Paul Boz_ posted:

My wife called me at 2pm and said her car was dead, battery light was on, and AC wasn't blowing. Smelled like catastrophic belt failure so I left work, bought two new belts, ran by the house to get my tools and work a shirt, and got work done. The pavement had to be well over 150 because the air temp was 105. 300,000 miles on the stock head gasket, axles, and transaxle and the only problem I've ever had with it is the occasional belt failure and a disentigrating factory airbox (hence the autozone cold air intake). I'm replacing it with an IS250 very soon.

Those are some snazzy rear end shoes for working on cars. Not that I can really say anything, because I'm the kind of dork that wears steel toe leather loggers boots with shorts :banjo:

I drove my truck around in the woods a bit because the power was out (bad thunderstorm), I couldn't use my computer, and I couldn't use any of my power tools or my welder either.

Then I went to Billy Tully's place and we did some stick welding practice on his tombstone with the 5lb box of 1/8" 6011 I picked up a while ago. I've now stick welded for a whopping 30 minutes and I think he's got around 20-25min of stick time...

(note ultimateforce grade PPE. All the pros weld in T-shirts.)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

Those are some snazzy rear end shoes for working on cars. Not that I can really say anything, because I'm the kind of dork that wears steel toe leather loggers boots with shorts :banjo:

haha man my wife called me at 2:00pm at work and Fridays are casual so I had on nice shoes. When I stopped at the house to grab some tools I changed out of a white button-up and threw on a dickies shirt and didn't even think about my shoes. One of my friends said they make me look like the redneck cousin of the wicked witch of the west lol. She was broken down after coasting in to a park parking lot so I was in a hurry.

I guess it's kinda like welding in a tshirt :ghost:

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 29, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

I drove my truck around in the woods a bit because the power was out (bad thunderstorm), I couldn't use my computer, and I couldn't use any of my power tools or my welder either.

:hfive: I was without internet for a few hours yesterday so I changed the coolant in my car just to have something to do.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Paul Boz_ posted:

haha man my wife called me at 2:00pm at work and Fridays are casual so I had on nice shoes. When I stopped at the house to grab some tools I changed out of a white button-up and threw on a dickies shirt and didn't even think about my shoes. One of my friends said they make me look like the redneck cousin of the wicked witch of the west lol. She was broken down after coasting in to a park parking lot so I was in a hurry.

I guess it's kinda like welding in a tshirt :ghost:

You should have seen the number of people who nearly got whiplash double-taking as I passed them on the highway on the way to my job interview last Friday.

... wearing a 3 piece suit, immaculately shaved, in my big muddy beat-up rusted out 20 year old pickup with a cherry bomb, arm out the window :v:

I wish I had a picture, it was great.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I checked the coolant catching container. I think it's dripping more :( Damnit.

I also worked on something which I equate to the computer version of rice. I'm using a goddamn horrible mod case. I can only guess that it was some cheap knockoff one made by people that had never seen a computer and know nothing about air flow.
The computer suffers from shutdowns at high GPU load. Currently the case is literally the only part left that hasn't been swapped out. I swapped the direction of a fan to try to encourage airflow the way I want it. If that doesn't work next step is the gaffer tape over what I think are counterproductive vent holes. You can tell who's ran a high thermal output computer and who hasn't.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

You should have seen the number of people who nearly got whiplash double-taking as I passed them on the highway on the way to my job interview last Friday.

... wearing a 3 piece suit, immaculately shaved, in my big muddy beat-up rusted out 20 year old pickup with a cherry bomb, arm out the window :v:

You sound like my friend who I stayed with in Maine last week who has the stock car. He's a mechanic by trade but has a law degree and is slowly starting his own practice. He drives a pretty cool Volvo (white with black wheels and a t4 turbo) most of the time but often drives his '92 Grand Cherokee with 300,000 > miles on it, four blown shocks, and half a race car in the back to court in his suit. It's pretty funny when he goes to court, gets assumed to be a dumbass, and trounces his opposition.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

By the time I'd scrolled to this part, the poster name was off the screen (thanks to pictures).

First thought: "That's gotta be kastein". :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Quick wash and an oil change. I've been lucky with catching the Mobil1 oil and filter special at autozone when my changes are due. This time around they had Mobil1 with the Fram gold filters. I don't expect the fram filter to disintegrate and destroy my engine or anything but I've always trusted the Mobil1 filters.

I'll try to push those thoughts away remembering that I've got a 3800. I could probably run roofing tar and Mr. Coffee filters and do just fine.

Is there an easy place to search online for good oil sales? I'd love to stock up on the good stuff when it's onsale, so my oil changes are more economical.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Shoulda drove the 5 ton for maximum effect.

Yeah, yeah...registration and all of that. I know. But still.....

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Astroman posted:

Is there an easy place to search online for good oil sales? I'd love to stock up on the good stuff when it's onsale, so my oil changes are more economical.

I would imagine most parts chains have regular specials. Check the sites or stop and grab one of their flyers. Autozone in particular almost always have Mobile1 on sale in some way. The best deal I've seen is when they have the 5 quart jug and a filter for $30. I use Mobil1 exclusively but if youre not picky they have other brands of oil and filter combos on sale a lot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I stumbled across this the other day on ebay. and welp.. It sums up my thoughts for the drivers here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was thinking of picking that up myself. I think it'll go well next to my HRC sticker. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
my HRC sticker is on the left side. :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Don't mean to brag, but I followed that thing to the top of "radiator" hill today. Granted I came up the easy side.

Then we blew various sized holes in things at various velocities. It was a good day.

View from the top.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its a proper southern African dictator mobile. They are made to go any where :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A (diesel?) old school Mercedes sedan with a roof rack off road carrying weapons?

Yes please.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Here are the things I did.

Where should I not have painted? Am I going to die?

This looked nice, I thought.

But then... Plastidip!

gently caress! I made a horrible error and had to restart one on the 3rd coat.

9 hours, 5 coats of black, and 2 of gold metalizer later.

I think I want another gold coat for more gold-ness.

Opinions?

Related: Not worth letting this poo poo touch your tires, I'm going to do playing cards if I add another gold coat. I've got some scrubbing to do.

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 30, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BiRD BoY posted:

Here are the things I did.

Where should I not have painted? Am I going to die?

This looked nice, I thought.

But then... Plastidip!

gently caress! I made a horrible error and had to restart one on the 3rd coat.

9 hours, 5 coats of black, and 2 of gold metalizer later.

I think I want another gold coat for more gold-ness.

Opinions?

Related: Not worth letting this poo poo touch your tires, I'm going to do playing cards if I add another gold coat. I've got some scrubbing to do.

That was a rather lazy way to paint your calipers, but it does look pretty drat good. Nice work.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Its a pretty lazy way but the point was to just have them be a different color. Wouldn't further dissasembaly and painting kinda have diminishing returns on effort vs. result? As long as the functionality wasn't effected I don't see any problems.

This is coming from someone with no mechanical knowledge of braking systems so feel free to say otherwise.

Looks good anyways. I love how plastidip is so reversible if you gently caress it up.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Chinatown posted:

A (diesel?) old school Mercedes sedan with a roof rack off road carrying weapons?

Yes please.

Yes, it's diesel. 2.4 liter naturally aspirated running through a four-speed manual. Roughly 70hp when it was new, 31 years and 250,000 miles ago. Still runs out pretty well though.

We shot 44mag, 45acp, 30-30 and 22lr.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

trouser chili posted:

Yes, it's diesel. 2.4 liter naturally aspirated running through a four-speed manual. Roughly 70hp when it was new, 31 years and 250,000 miles ago. Still runs out pretty well though.

We shot 44mag, 45acp, 30-30 and 22lr.
What kind of 30-30? My Dad briefly had a 30-30 Marlin lever action that was a huge PITA to operate. That sounds like a decidedly American range outing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I would imagine most parts chains have regular specials. Check the sites or stop and grab one of their flyers. Autozone in particular almost always have Mobile1 on sale in some way. The best deal I've seen is when they have the 5 quart jug and a filter for $30. I use Mobil1 exclusively but if youre not picky they have other brands of oil and filter combos on sale a lot.

Yeah, I was hoping there was some site that collated auto sales like some do for electronics and stuff so I could just hit one site instead of every one, or going into stores, because a lot of places like Walmart put things on sale that they don't consider "worthy" of putting online or even in a flyer. Basically :effort:

I use Mobil 1 too, and when you pay a lot for it you kind of hit a point of diminishing returns when you say you "change your own oil to save money" and you drive past $23 oil change places. Granted, they are using the cheap stuff, but psychologically it's a little :smith:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wrar posted:

What kind of 30-30? My Dad briefly had a 30-30 Marlin lever action that was a huge PITA to operate. That sounds like a decidedly American range outing.

I love my Marlin 30-30 lever. What was hard to operate on his? It's a pretty simple and rugged design. When we go shooting, we usually take our .22s (we have 5 of them), .25, 9mm, .40, .44mag, and the 30-30.

To contribute, yesterday I took another 5 pieces of the 3M ClearBra off the wife's TSX. I was amazed at how pristine the headlights were, because the ClearBra was getting pretty hazy.
These lights are 7 years old with 157k miles on them:

Only one last part to do - the front bumper. You can see it starting to peel under the headlight in the corner and it's also really badly scuffed. I am excited to take it off and see the fresh bumper underneath. The bra was put on when the car was like a week old.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wrar posted:

Winchester model 94. It ended up jamming pretty bad on the second round after the second loading, thankfully I was eventually able to get it to fully chamber that round and fire it, but the action was jammed solid from there. I had to open the feed tube from the other end once I got home.

The 44mag was my buddy's gun, the guy with the buggy thing. Not sure the model, some sort of giant Taurus I think. It's a beast of a gun. Not really something I'd pick off a shelf and think I'd want to take it home, but I had fun shooting it regardless and got my best shot of the day with it.

The .45 is a FNP tac and the .22 a Ruger 10/22 takedown.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I polished my RX8's clouded yellow headlights.
Before:
After:

Theyre still a tiny bit cloudy so I might have another go at it tonight but for having never done it before I'm happy with the results. I also washed the entire car but the pictures came out really blurry because my camera sucks.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Beach Bum posted:

That was a rather lazy way to paint your calipers, but it does look pretty drat good. Nice work.

Funny thing about it is, I'm so sore today from doing all that bending, leaning on one foot and crap, I don't feel like I did anything lazy yesterday :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You could have avoided all that by simply removing the caliper from the bracket and pulling the pads out, if necessary, then masking off the bleed fitting, any threads, and hose, and spraybombed it.

(and wouldn't have had to worry about getting paint on the rotor)

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

kastein posted:

You could have avoided all that by simply removing the caliper from the bracket and pulling the pads out, if necessary, then masking off the bleed fitting, any threads, and hose, and spraybombed it.

(and wouldn't have had to worry about getting paint on the rotor)

Oh, the brake job was fast and easy (1 hour) The rims were the hard part (5 hours due to screw ups)

Paint on the rotor edge came off with ease.

All in all, a learning experience.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BiRD BoY posted:

Oh, the brake job was fast and easy (1 hour) The rims were the hard part (5 hours due to screw ups)

Paint on the rotor edge came off with ease.

All in all, a learning experience.

You did good on the calipers. Came out looking good, and the next time you change pads it'll look even better. You did a WAY better job than most people do with the masking. Most people just spray them without masking anything. I like it and I like the gold wheels too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Filthy cabin filters:

Those were a year old. :suicide:

Set of Gen III injectors from a mountaineer. 19lb.

Velocity stacks!

with injectors installed theres no more bogging/rough idling which thrills me.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When do you get your rough idles? Also what year of mountaineer?

Also :glomp: for bww

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Found the heater coolant leak. Now to buy a heater valve.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why did this make me smile? I didn't even see it was you posting at first.

I'm so screwed.

(enjoy your Indian Head/Anaerobic Permatex on the way back together!....and tell me more about those injectors and why I want them on the '98)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rough as hell idle when cold. lots of low speed bogging when cold, coughs, 9mpg, enough black smoke to put a NA diesel to shame.
It also appears to start a lot faster too.

(Get mango habanero next time you're at bww. My favorite so far.)

Bonus pic post install:

E: any 5.0 powered mountaineer. Part # 0280155700
4 pintle design vs the single jet the old rover injectors have. plus they play friendly with ethanol.
You can youtube the difference in spray pattern between the two. I didn't think much of it until then.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 2, 2013