Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

alansmithee posted:

And even if it wasn't "rushed", I don't think that it would've been Kanye's lyrics that would've changed much. He's always been average at best as a rapper with the ability to come up with some clever lines, and some really loving corny lines and that's what he is here. He just sells it a lot better than most rappers can (be it charisma, obliviousness, or whatever) and has the musical chops to surround his lines with top-notch production.

Oh yeah no doubt. Don't get me wrong here, I know Kanye is the corniest dude ever, but I the whole album feels rushed. But maybe that's just the point of the whole album. Also Can't Hold My Liquor is one of my fave tracks on this album now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9157-the-yeezus-sessions/

"I can definitely say that we did not listen to Death Grips once the entire time we were making this album." -- Noah Goldstein

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Everything Vernon had to say in that article was gold.

quote:

I don't even know what I'm singing on "I'm in It"-- I'd have to look at it.

quote:

I have no idea what the Jamaican dude is saying. At all. But it's loving awesome as hell.

quote:

There's no pedestrian fuckery on this album. People are working their asses off to make the best poo poo, and Kanye's leading the pack.

quote:

I assumed that he was gonna do the maximalist thing again with this album, but it's more like: "Boom! We just made a song, and it bangs, so gently caress you."

I hope I get the call one day :(

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

PonchAxis posted:

Oh yeah no doubt. Don't get me wrong here, I know Kanye is the corniest dude ever, but I the whole album feels rushed. But maybe that's just the point of the whole album.

I'm kinda thinking that with Yeezus, for sure. Especially with Kanye framing MBDTF as an apologetic mistake at some point (or at least, from what I got on the NYT thing, something he looked down on as not like him, or whatever), coupled with the near-total praise MBDTF got. As if Kanye went back to the 808s well specifically because people didn't know what to make of it when it was released. Kanye doesn't seem the person to crave critical acclaim, since polarizing the audience gets more people taking about his work.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

thathonkey posted:

The line is "Francis Ford car coppola" because the Ford Caprice is still the most ubiquitous car used by US cops.

Not his most clever line but Francis foreign car coppola makes even less sense...

Is this a real post? Francis Ford Coppola is a director, Kanye talked about doing a movie in the line before, Kanye drives a fancy foreign car instead of a Ford

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

xbilkis posted:

Is this a real post? Francis Ford Coppola is a director, Kanye talked about doing a movie in the line before, Kanye drives a fancy foreign car instead of a Ford

Um yeah I know who Francis Ford Coppola is. Either way the line doesn't make much sense but on a closer listen it does sound like foreign car. My thinking for Ford car was that it is the common police cruiser that patrols Chicago, fits in with him directing the ghetto opera about that or whatever he was going for with that line.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I really want the isolated tracks of Charlie Wilson singing the hook on Bound 2.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Finally got my CD copy a couple of days ago. I can't stop listening to this thing.

Although I did like it, I initially wasn't absolutely crazy about the second half of the album because it seemed somewhat less crazy and thus less interesting than the first half, but listening to the whole album on headphones made me love the other half, too. I'm In It might actually be my favorite track alongside I Am a God. Some amazing loving production going on there and the bridge with Vernon's "Say you long for me" thing is just chilling.

The only tracks I'm personally not completely crazy about are Guilt Trip (just doesn't have the same impact as most tracks on the album in my opinion) and Bound 2 (probably just a bit too cheery for me).

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
The outro to New Slaves is just about the coolest loving thing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Agreed. The transition just seems sloppy and contrived though. But all is forgiven when that sweet sweet Frank Ocean vocal performance hits.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011
http://pitchfork.com/news/51347-rick-rubin-says-kanye-west-could-release-a-yeezus-sequel/

I'd be pretty stoked if this actually happened.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Name a sequel that was on par with the original album.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah, remember when Cruel Winter was supposed to drop? How'd that turn out?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Hold My Liquor over everything

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Scorched Spitz posted:

If it's tracks from the same session they'd probably be comparable. But to answer, OB4CL2 was pretty dope.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Scorched Spitz posted:

Carter II, Carter III, Dedication 2, Da Drought 3. Many other mixtapes. Album sequels are less common but it happens.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Soundtrack to The Godfather Part 2.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Not sure if anyone is interested in this type of poo poo in 2013 but there is a "chopped not slopped" version of Yeezus available now:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/22902/yeezus.html

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Scorched Spitz posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Deltron Event II. It has to be good, right? It has to be...

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Oh, I'm sure it's gonna be good. Just nowhere as good as the original.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I saw Deltron last week actually, they did some new tracks and they sounded pretty good in the same vein as the original album.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Deltron is still a thing? :psyberger:

Umpire Weekend
Apr 10, 2006

I backed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just drove off sometimes life's OK

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Deltron is still a thing? :psyberger:
it's not like Del's done anything good since then, unless you count Clint Eastwood

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Here's the first single from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cch9ft75y_M

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Felt Yeezus was lacking in that trap sound? Have a remix:

https://soundcloud.com/dmndz/kanye-west-im-in-it-dmndz

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thathonkey posted:

Felt Yeezus was lacking in that trap sound? Have a remix:

https://soundcloud.com/dmndz/kanye-west-im-in-it-dmndz

That's....not half bad :stare:

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Any word on if Yeezy is on any Jay-z's tracks in Magna Carta Holy Grail?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Can of Cloud posted:

Any word on if Yeezy is on any Jay-z's tracks in Magna Carta Holy Grail?

Full tracklist is still unknown but I think it is unlikely since jay-z whipped up the album over the past few months. Kanye's schedule with finishing Yeezus and North being born probably didnt allow for any collaboration.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Full tracklist is still unknown but I think it is unlikely since jay-z whipped up the album over the past few months. Kanye's schedule with finishing Yeezus and North being born probably didnt allow for any collaboration.

he has production and that's it

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
meanwhile, lou reed gets his high school newspaper album review on http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

atrus50 posted:

meanwhile, lou reed gets his high school newspaper album review on http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/lou-reed

Lou Reed gets it, man.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That's a brilliant review. It manages to be dense and poignant without adhering to any journalistic rules or flare.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

quote:

At first, West says "I can hold my liquor" and then he says "I can't hold my liquor." This is classic — classic manic-depressive, going back and forth.

quote:

"New Slaves" has that line "Y'all throwin' contracts at me/ You know that niggas can't read." Wow, wow, wow. That is an amazing thing to put in a lyric. That's a serious accusation in the middle of this rant at other people: an accusation of himself.

quote:

It literally gives me goosebumps.

Haha, Lou Reed is Old.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Scorched Spitz posted:

PL3DGE is dope.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The best part of the Lou Reed review is where he compares putting an album like that out to farting and daring people to smell it. And he means it as a compliment.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

He sounds a bit like Ray from Achewood in that review. It's the most loveable I think I've EVER seen Lou Reed.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
So, those who have listened to both Yeezy and Hova's new albums. Which is better? Yeezus or Magna Carta ... Holy Grail?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Can of Cloud posted:

So, those who have listened to both Yeezy and Hova's new albums. Which is better? Yeezus or Magna Carta ... Holy Grail?
Yeezus by a country mile. Even at its worst moments, Yeezus is more passionate and interesting than MCHG at its best. HCMG isn't awful but it doesn't feel like Jay put any effort into it at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can of Cloud posted:

Yeezus. MCHG is boring. Jay's delivery sounds like he sleepwalked throughout the whole thing, which is the polar opposite of Yeezus.

The beats and production on MCHG are alright and would feel strong in the right hands, but still not even close to being as good as the beats on Yeezus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Can of Cloud posted:

depends on whether you're looking for something "edgy" or something catchy.

Just listen to both, I'm sure they're both on spotify. For what it's worth, the second track on Jay's album is better then anything on Yeezus.

• Locked thread