Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Gortarius posted:

If you are really into the NES era megamen and you like the chiptunes in those games then here is something for you:

I've never seen that before, thanks for that. I really love how the boss battle music during the refights is remixed with the music from each boss's original stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Tangentially related, but Keiji Inafune and his fictional "niece", Saki Inafune, are starring in a game coming out in a few weeks. It's a PSP visual novel called Sweet Fuse: At Your Side. It'll probably be the last English PSP game ever, too.

"Saki Inafune is excited when she receives an invitation to the opening ceremonies to her uncle's theme park. As she is getting ready for a day of fun at the park the evil Count Hogstein shows up. Hogstein blows up the ferris wheel and takes the park management hostage. He announces the beginning of a deadly series of games. Desperate to save her uncle, Saki volunteers to participate in the deadly competitions. Saki must team up with other participants who are all available bachelors and try to save her uncle from the clutches of Hogstein."

Some guys may like it if you like adventure games like 999 doors. Note that it's slightly different from your usual anime-girl-harem-novel game in that the protagonist is a woman. This may turn off some guys. Ew. Play a Girl? I don't want to talk to GUYS. etc. etc.

The opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h7V9qlnHmA

May be nice to support Inafune's industry cameos.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 28, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Preorders have started to ship out. I don't know when mine will arrive it looks like the wait is over:

There's an interesting article on the guy who made that Mega Man 2 box art. I've always considered that to be just as hilarious as MM1, just for having Dr. Light ordering crash man to defeat mega.

e: ever since imgur decided to become reddit their hosting has turned to shite.

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 27, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So I was giving x4 a spin. I've had the cd for forever but decided I could make time to go through it instead of endlessly rewatching Violen's speedruns while doing other computer work.
I have three questions:

1.) Are the weapons completely loving useless except as boss weaknesses or using a spiderweb to access power ups? Slash Beast's attack does a lot of damage and has a fairly normal firing pattern, but even the weakest enemies seem immune to it! The spider web only hits a fixed distance away from you and is completely useless as a weapon! And frost tower... I thought it would make something you could jump on like coldman's ice wall, but it sucks both as a weapon and as a shield and takes control away from you to use, how on Earth could there be a use for that ever? Aiming laser has its moments but in most of them you don't feel like you've found a place where the weapon works more than you're taking an easy way out. The others I've gotten just seem less effective than just firing in front of you, or hovering and firing in front of you.

I mean part of the fun of mega man games is feeling more powerful when you get weapons. Is that just forgotten in the ps era?

2.) Where could I get tech support for using the sixaxis with a PC? I thought I had one in order with motioninjoy but after several levels it stopped registering correctly and I can't seem to find a way to fix it even with reconfiguring and install/uninstalling. Sucks because it was fun to finally play an x-game with a dpad again, last time was when I was a kid with MMX. I played four more levels with the keyboard.

3.) Is dash-jumping on to and then off a wall a move that needs practice or do I suck more than I remember? I just stopped in front of cyber peacock's lair and kept trying to dash on and off the wall and half the time X would just slip off instead. Maybe my timing is off? Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, I don't remember it giving me that much trouble before.

I was really upset at how Cyber Peacock was claimed to be such an easy boss and he took me like twenty tries because the aiming missle would get me every drat time. Then again, my reflexes seem so bad at this point that even Colonel took some tries because I could not consistently react to the three slices correctly despite them being in a set pattern.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Yonic Symbolism posted:

So I was giving x4 a spin. I've had the cd for forever but decided I could make time to go through it instead of endlessly rewatching Violen's speedruns while doing other computer work.
I have three questions:

1.) Are the weapons completely loving useless except as boss weaknesses or using a spiderweb to access power ups? Slash Beast's attack does a lot of damage and has a fairly normal firing pattern, but even the weakest enemies seem immune to it! The spider web only hits a fixed distance away from you and is completely useless as a weapon! And frost tower... I thought it would make something you could jump on like coldman's ice wall, but it sucks both as a weapon and as a shield and takes control away from you to use, how on Earth could there be a use for that ever? Aiming laser has its moments but in most of them you don't feel like you've found a place where the weapon works more than you're taking an easy way out. The others I've gotten just seem less effective than just firing in front of you, or hovering and firing in front of you.

I mean part of the fun of mega man games is feeling more powerful when you get weapons. Is that just forgotten in the ps era?

2.) Where could I get tech support for using the sixaxis with a PC? I thought I had one in order with motioninjoy but after several levels it stopped registering correctly and I can't seem to find a way to fix it even with reconfiguring and install/uninstalling. Sucks because it was fun to finally play an x-game with a dpad again, last time was when I was a kid with MMX. I played four more levels with the keyboard.

3.) Is dash-jumping on to and then off a wall a move that needs practice or do I suck more than I remember? I just stopped in front of cyber peacock's lair and kept trying to dash on and off the wall and half the time X would just slip off instead. Maybe my timing is off? Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, I don't remember it giving me that much trouble before.

I was really upset at how Cyber Peacock was claimed to be such an easy boss and he took me like twenty tries because the aiming missle would get me every drat time. Then again, my reflexes seem so bad at this point that even Colonel took some tries because I could not consistently react to the three slices correctly despite them being in a set pattern.

Web Spider's weapon is useful for some harder jumps, but you're better off with just the X-buster for killing poo poo. And as long as you are holding down the dash button, the characters will always perform a dash jump. You'll know if it's a dash jump if it leaves blue echoes behind X.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Edit: ^^:rant:

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Your other issues are on you, but this is easy enough to solve. You don't need to tap the dash and then jump at all from X4 and on. You can just hold the dash button and automatically dash hop or dash jump off walls. I think at least dash jumping off walls by holding the button existed earlier, but I couldn't tell you why I think that.

Also, I'm totally gonna support that Inafune VN game thing. Totally gonna date the glasses dude in green. :swoon:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Yes, just hold the dash button and jump as usual. To be honest the only game were you have to tap-time your dash jumps is the first X game for snes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I never knew I needed a dating sim about rescuing Keiji Inafune before but I'm glad that I do now.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

That's nice and all but this ha--

Oh wow, this actually is getting an English release?!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yonic Symbolism posted:

1.) Are the weapons completely loving useless except as boss weaknesses or using a spiderweb to access power ups?
Essentially, yes, X's subweapons are pretty terrible in X4. I can't even remember the last time I played X4 with X because Zero is so much better in every possible way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That's nice and all but this ha--

Oh wow, this actually is getting an English release?!

Ahahahaha I actually wanna get this now that I know I'm going to be able to understand it.

Edit: VVV
Ahahahahahaha I hope this game lives up to its ridiculous premise now.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 27, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Which of the dudes in the picture is anime Keiji Inafune?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
oh my god

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I have no words.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Doc V posted:

oh my god

Yep, he could fit next to Wily and Light.

Game is released in English on August 27.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Essentially, yes, X's subweapons are pretty terrible in X4. I can't even remember the last time I played X4 with X because Zero is so much better in every possible way.

To be honest, most of X's weapons are a bit underwhelming. A lot of them are just varying power levels of fire forwards, and the X-buster already works on basically everything. And he has so much mobility that varying attack patterns just aren't as valuable as they are in the classic series.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
X1-X3 weapons had their uses. Or maybe I was a bad player. Homing missles and storm eagle's tornado were good for clearing the way, Spark mandrill's weapon helped against the wall hugging enemies, the boomerang was great for subtank filling sessions (homed on bats, brought you their stuff), and that's just off the top of my head for X1.

I'm just baffled that everything seems downright immune to slash cutter, and the uselessness of frost tower. What's the point in giving me those, jeez.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Dabir posted:

To be honest, most of X's weapons are a bit underwhelming. A lot of them are just varying power levels of fire forwards, and the X-buster already works on basically everything. And he has so much mobility that varying attack patterns just aren't as valuable as they are in the classic series.

I don't know, you can do some pretty cool poo poo with the weapons in X2. I think I already linked this, but this video shows that off pretty well at parts:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5a-XNiJWc&l

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
X just got the shaft hard in X4. There are weapons I use like all the time in X1 and X3, but like every single weapon he got in X4 was gimmicky to the point where it makes Mega Man 10's obtuse garbage look like Mega Man 4.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

X1-X3 weapons had their uses. Or maybe I was a bad player. Homing missles and storm eagle's tornado were good for clearing the way, Spark mandrill's weapon helped against the wall hugging enemies, the boomerang was great for subtank filling sessions (homed on bats, brought you their stuff), and that's just off the top of my head for X1.

I'm just baffled that everything seems downright immune to slash cutter, and the uselessness of frost tower. What's the point in giving me those, jeez.

I think that might be why I dislike the series after it went to Playstation, the special weapons just kind of peters out. Usually, I would just play the game with the X-buster "because you never know when you might need the weapon energy!" kind of like how you save Elixir's.

But then I saw the video at the opening of MMX1 and it showed Armored Armadillo's level played with all special weapons used in create situations and anticipating enemy placement and I started emulating that and try to do the same to every level in MMX1.

It was just the best of childhood right there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
X4 wasnt kind to X. It was pretty much want to have fun? Play Zero. At least the moves looked cool. Just don't end up using web spiders move. Using it on an enemy who has armor makes the game slowdown. Really the best way to see it is use it on the spilt mushroom side boss.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So, RushJet1, guy behind the pretty amazing Mega Man 3 Remade soundtrack, just released "Mega Man 9.5" on Bandcamp. Give it a listen, it's quite good.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

KennyMan666 posted:

So, RushJet1, guy behind the pretty amazing Mega Man 3 Remade soundtrack, just released "Mega Man 9.5" on Bandcamp. Give it a listen, it's quite good.

Yeah it is. What is it about Megaman that makes some people (like us) so drat devoted?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A buddy recently bought Mega man 2 on the NES, I don't know where mine is, but we played it a bit.

Or rather, he played Metal Man and Wood Man and then kinda gave up on Flash man's level, so I took the controller and went through the rest of the game in one go.

He was kinda stunned by the end of it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
D-Arts Black Zero coming December - Web exclusive:

http://gginfinite.com/D-Arts-Megaman-Black-Zero-Tamashii-Web-Shop-Exclusive.html

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Pretty sure it won't stay as "web exclusive" considering how the previous entries have sold out.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I don't if any of you are into comics at all, but there's a comic book out where Sonic the Hedgehog are having a team-up crossover and it's excellent. There's a ton of neat inside jokes for fans of both game series. Also Dr Wily and Dr Robotnik are hilarious together. I think you guys would enjoy it.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

LateToTheParty posted:

I know this was a few pages ago but why is the 3rd Star Force is considered the best game in the series? I played the first Star Force only for a couple of hours and I could not get into it. What does the 3rd game do better than the first one?

It's hard to pin down, because there aren't really any major changes, but it really feels more polished. I got it and loved it enough to give the second game (which I had initially skipped) a chance, but I didn't really enjoy the combat in that one.

Playing both Star Force 3 (the superior game) and Star Force 2 back to back gave me some insight on what the former does better than its predecessors. The biggest difference I can think of is that it is easier to chain together attacks in Star Force 3 as there seems to be less downtime after using a battle card. The other games only let you choose either all the same kind of card or the two cards in a single column, but Star Force 3 will let you choose all three cards in either the top or bottom row. You also get an extra card when you counter an attack. The game's transformation mechanic is based on how much damage you do to an enemy with a non-elemental attack (by how much overkill you deal to viruses in a normal battle, or half the damage value of an attack made against a boss), so your combat style has to be tailored to whether you care about transforming or not.

This doesn't impact game play at all, but I also much prefer the design aesthetic for Star Force Mega Man in 3 (I own Star Force Official Complete Works, by the way). The "hand puppet" is replaced with a weapon that looks like a proper buster while also having subtle design elements indicating the presence of the beast-like alien joined with Mega Man. This change is one of the major things that make me regard the original Star Force Mega Man character design as probably my least favorite Mega Man design while making the version seen in Star Force 3 one of my favorites. The alternate forms also look streamlined and cool with only subtle design elements from the enemy bosses that inspire them, as opposed to the oversized armors from the previous games. Overall, the change in design aesthetic really gives the impression that Star Force's developers tried too hard to appeal to kids initially and made a big effort to create designs that would have broader appeal.

I really recommend Star Force 3; it just feels more polished than its predecessors and seems like more care went into its development. You don't even really need to know anything about the previous games, either, as the game gives you the option to bring up a short description of certain characters and terms on the bottom screen as they come up. As big a fan of Battle Network as I was, I'd rather get a Star Force 4 with the same level of quality as the third game than a new Battle Network game, as the creators could really take the setting into weird new places if they took a moment to consider even some of the possible applications of the fanciful technology used in their world. Too bad we're not seeing much proof of Capcom working on Mega Man games period, as that means there's effectively no chance of getting another installment in what is probably the least popular Mega Man series.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 6, 2013

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Starforce 3 was a fantastic game and Starforce 2 was awful and nobody should ever play it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Honestly the only Starforce game I can really recommend is 1 because it's the only Megaman RPG with a story I've wholeheartedly enjoyed, plus Starforce 2 is waaaay too breakable (I like breakability, but not that whole Tribe King nonsense,) and 3 just doesn't do it for me at all. I know it's supposed to be the best one, but I just cannot enjoy it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

alcharagia posted:

Honestly the only Starforce game I can really recommend is 1 because it's the only Megaman RPG with a story I've wholeheartedly enjoyed, plus Starforce 2 is waaaay too breakable (I like breakability, but not that whole Tribe King nonsense,) and 3 just doesn't do it for me at all. I know it's supposed to be the best one, but I just cannot enjoy it.

You're talking about story. Starforce 1 has a nice, concise story, but the gameplay and asthetic for 3 is clearly superior. :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

NTT posted:

You're talking about story. Starforce 1 has a nice, concise story, but the gameplay and asthetic for 3 is clearly superior. :colbert:

I sort of switched over halfway through without mentioning it. I meant 3's gameplay.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

NTT posted:

Starforce 3 was a fantastic game and Starforce 2 was awful and nobody should ever play it.

The second game was alright, much better than the first, but there's no reason to play it now that we have the third.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
In the on going series "Fan now create Mega Man games" it looks like Mega Man Revolution has just finished the single player portion of the game. (With Co-op coming later).

http://megamanrevolution.com/

I've haven't had a change to play it but it look like it could be fun for a bit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Giving it a look now. Started with Saw Man's level, it starts off with a narrow drop onto the leftmost end of a leftward-moving conveyor that drops you onto an insta-kill trap that at first glance looks like part of the background.

In both of these images, the giant circular saw things are insta-kill. It's easy to assume they're just background elements at first cause holy poo poo nobody's that cruel outside Super Meat Boy... right? I doubt I'll get past that second screen. Never mind that if you're playing as Bass, lightly tapping forward to move towards the edge slowly makes you dash over it which drat near killed me.

EDIT: Made it somehow, the third screen has a right-moving conveyor that shoves you into a wall. Then when you drop into the fourth screen you enter directly above a bottomless pit, the only floor in the room is a left-moving conveyor with a hyperactive Metal Man impersonator... yeah I have a bad feeling about this game.

EDIT2: Blast Man's level has similarly schizophrenic difficulty and at least one similar "think fast" moment, only Blast Man's has the added precision element because your safe landing spot is one block wide. I managed to miss one collectible just by picking the wrong one of two possible, seemingly identical paths. One path split has a weird situation where the lower path has trickily-placed throwbacks to the hippos from MM4 and a jump that may be literally impossible thanks to a ceiling that's just too low, whereas the upper half has those same enemies placed in a location that makes them totally ineffectual and a W-tank at the end. There's one section where thanks to Mega Man's charged shot being replaced with the Mega Fist and those hippo throwbacks, it may be impossible to proceed without taking damage. Guys I'm really starting to worry about this game's quality.

EDIT3: Don't think much of the music either. Enemy spoilers from Blast Man's level follow: Those really short cannons everywhere? Your first instinct might be to shoot them. Before you do, you should know that they shoot the moment you shoot while in line with them. Also? They're Mets and they always block the first shot if it's uncharged. You have to shoot them twice rapidly so you hit them while they're exposed, or hit them with a Mega Fist. However, they don't shoot unless you do. So if you've only been using charged shots, you might work it out and think it's safe to just go ahead and jump over them, right? Wrong. The moment you end up on the right of them, they pop up and GO loving BERSERK with shooting you. Bullshit at its finest.

EDIT4: Cryo Man has enemies that fire spreads of ice needles at a speed precisely calculated to be a little too fast. At one point early on, you must choose between going OVER one of these things and taking on a Shield Attacker that flies off-screen and vanishes, or going down to destroy the thing. With ice physics and a bottomless pit. And it's placed just so that if it hits you and you're facing right, you slide far enough that it goes offscreen and resets or respawns. If you're facing left, you're sliding into the bottomless pit. Also, I swear it's fired AFTER it died more than once, or in the exact frame where it died. Then it got to narrow platforms with ice physics and Mets and I just gave up on that stage.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 8, 2013

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Oh man I'm so sorry for introducing you to this level of bullshit. After the challenging but fun Day in the Limelight 2 and reading about AM2R doing playtesting and difficulty tweaks I had hoped that fan game makers would have learned to pull their head out of their asses by now.

Hopefully Mega Man Universe does not have this same level of bullshit in it.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Its alright at best. I mean the mega man gameplay is there but the level design is pretty rear end. Music is passable but it is the sort of music you'll forget immediately after it stops playing.

The difficulty is all over the place. There is a long corridor in the uhh stock fire man stage with these things from mm9 that catch you and drag you away, except there is nothing else in the hallway besides them. No spikes, no pits, nothing at all. Also it is seemingly impossible to avoid them because you can't destroy them in time and they home in on you and are rather fast. Later on you use them to cross a gap but before that there is one that puts you right at top of a pit and you can't get out of that afaik. Not unless you kill it before that happens which is unlikely until you know its coming.

I had a really hard time figuring out how to shut the game off when in fullscreen. Alt-tabbed into windows and killed the process.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Are there any decent mega man x1-3 romhacks, more akin to minus infinity (haven't played, just watched violens playthrough) that have good level deaigns and boss reworks instead of kaizo bullshit?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Dabir posted:

Cryo Man

Haha, look at this guy. He looks like he's from one of the PC games.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Are there any decent mega man x1-3 romhacks, more akin to minus infinity (haven't played, just watched violens playthrough) that have good level deaigns and boss reworks instead of kaizo bullshit?

Unless something's changed in the last few years, I'm pretty sure the SNES MMX games are "unhackable". Everything's encrypted or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hm, maybe they could try hacking the xtreme games? Can't imagin those being unhackable.