Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Okay thanks that makes it a lot more clear. Didn't realize guards had been nerfed in HoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
So if not NNM or PDM, what mod is goon approved? I like the ability to form new nations in NNM, but the political system is totally messed up w/r/t everyone going liberal by 1880 and absolute monarchies being absent from Europe by 1900. I also really like the ability to restrict emigration in PDM, it makes playing super regressive more rewarding and fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kersch posted:

Tanks are kind of cavalry units that can't flank and have siege instead of recon, but they have less siege than engineers. I'm not sure why you'd ever use them.

Because they're the most expensive unit in the game barring dreadnoughts so you want as many as possible to inflate your mil score.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

hypnorotic posted:

So if not NNM or PDM, what mod is goon approved? I like the ability to form new nations in NNM, but the political system is totally messed up w/r/t everyone going liberal by 1880 and absolute monarchies being absent from Europe by 1900. I also really like the ability to restrict emigration in PDM, it makes playing super regressive more rewarding and fun.
Vanilla is pretty good honestly

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

uPen posted:

Because they're the most expensive unit in the game barring dreadnoughts so you want as many as possible to inflate your mil score.

Oooh, good point.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

uPen posted:

And then you run headfirst into a rubber crisis, because a tank brigade needs something like 7 rubber a day, and global production maxes out at, what, four hundred?

I tried building an all-tank army once. It wasn't pretty. Then I tried it again, after modding in synth rubber factories. When I eventually gave up and disbanded them all, I think global industry scores dropped by something like a third, because by that point the entire world economy revolved around synth oil and synth oil derivatives.

e: if I was going to spam build brigades for mil score (dreads are usually more than sufficient, but I guess I tend to play naval countries more than land-biased ones), I think I'd pick arty. You can never have enough arty.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 29, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

This is an important point if the AUS seems weird to anyone. The situation in America at the time is incredibly lovely and people are looking anywhere they can for a solution. Right-wing populism takes hold in the South but aside from rallying around Long because he's a superb speaker and is backed by Coughlin, a superb utilizer of radio, they've really not yet figured out exactly what they want to be once they win the war. But they're willing to put these questions to one side while the civil war is on, just as the CSA do with many of their issues, in the name of victory. In short wondering what the AUS is exactly meant to be when they revolt is missing the point; even they don't really know in '36/'37 and settling the question is something that occurs in the game's timeline.

I also like it 'cause it's nice to see the right be filled with splitters for a change.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel less down on the AUS as a concept. Then again, I've joined the official mod forums to try and help out and it feels lovely to condemn the staff so much over the same stuff.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hypnorotic posted:

So if not NNM or PDM, what mod is goon approved?

The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja and Friends

It takes a lot of what I don't like about the original set-up and fixes it: More broken-up nations that need reuniting, less UK that just shits up everything by being so goddamned large, not adding a bunch of crap like PDM, Africa is filled up and the nations are actually large enough to be interesting, the lack of UK (I really like the lack of UK) means Asia is actually interesting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Imperialist Adventures of Srbja and Friends

It takes a lot of what I don't like about the original set-up and fixes it: More broken-up nations that need reuniting, less UK that just shits up everything by being so goddamned large, not adding a bunch of crap like PDM, Africa is filled up and the nations are actually large enough to be interesting, the lack of UK (I really like the lack of UK) means Asia is actually interesting.

Yeah while we may be biased here, endorsing a goon mod, it makes the world a lot less static and I haven't seen any Krakow nations that are doomed to fail. Been meaning to get back to the mod and try out a Canadian crusader game.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Hi I just want to remind everyone I was the last and only defender of EvW on this forum and I wanted to say you lost me. EvW is going to be loving terrible and you should scrap it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Necroneocon posted:

Hi I just want to remind everyone I was the last and only defender of EvW on this forum and I wanted to say you lost me. EvW is going to be loving terrible and you should scrap it.

And this guy is an apologist for Matrix games.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
So, I finally finished my first game of EU3 ever in all the years I've had it. I used MiscMods because COLONY NAMES! and other features. I decided, finally, to play the scenario with 100% more Cathars. Oh And by Finish I mean it kept freezing in 1772 and the next 28 years weren't going to change much, so I called it a day. My one personal goal was to form as many union type nations as possible and help Natives modernize, and I feel I succeeded in a few there. China is OP in every game, just saying.

I then spent the next few hours making pretty borders, and considering none of the Java scenario editor tools wanted to work, that meant changing tags in the text files, yay!

Go Hog Wild Mentions:

Byzantium: Good on you. Took Rome, messed with the Middle East, exploded a few times but came out looking good. I had to take territory away from it in my FIXING BORDERS because it was simply too dominant to make playing near it fun.
Germany: Germany Took half of Russia. This could not stand. "Time of Troubles" were not kind to it, I'll tell you that. Its Prussian former self and its current German incarnation have spent 200 Years ripping Austria to shreds before Austria decided it would give up and become Hungary.
Ireland: Independent most of the game after rebelling from the UK. France and the UK decided to take it apart again, but it managed to recoup most of it's losses whenever France "accidentally" got into wars with Germany or the UK.
Norway: Woo Norway!
Russia: I thought Russia was done for when Germany was basically half of Russia, but it managed to survive and deserves a medal. Probably made out of Mongols, because it sure didn't like them.
Inca: Dominant Native Power. Controls La Plata and Paraguay as Vassals. Had annexed them at one point, but their explosion made them lose most of Brazil, some land to Colombia and ultimately the Colonial nations that they'd annexed split off. Came back from the brink though.
Ethiopia: African France.
France: Blobzilla strikes again. Did not count on German Blob.
Maratha: I managed to get the three indian unions to form. Hindustan got killed by Maratha and Japan. Karnataka got killed by Malaysia. Malaysia got kicked out by Maratha. Random Byzantine and Japanese Holdings remain in Karnataka.

Honorable Mentions:

Japan: So you can colonize when colonizing means attacking India, go figure.
The Maori: Muslim Maori's. This scares me. What have you wrought, Arabia? Its also a republic, because, you know, when you get ridiculous, why not go all the way?
Malaysia: Colonized a fair bit and even decided to take half of India. Failed spectacularly but stayed intact.
Italy: Yeah, totally not a thing. Naples managed to keep its independence though.
Catalunya: Spain exploded spectacularly near the end of the game, 99% of its American holdings went to the USA and Catalunya invaded it in a punitive war, (Spain had 40 Infamy for some reason). Catalunya decided Aragon looked good with their name on it.
Australia: I don't even. Lotharingia in control of the former UK colonies, Arab Colonies and some Malaysians just chilling out.
Zapotec: Looked to be dominant at once point, but got its face kicked in by the Inca's and converted to their religion.
Maya: Aww the cute Maya. Inca Vassal.
Jin Shan: Chinese Colony in California. Decided to release them as a vassal in a quasi-tributary fashion the Chinese might of been comfortable with. Held onto the South American Colonies though.
The Hansa: The Hansa remain independent. Lubeck for some reason has never been touched. They held nearly all of West Africa at some point (and now control Fez as a vassal, due to their implosion through wars etc) but still retain land in Tunisia. Far cry from owning half the Carribean, Brazilian colonies and all that african land though. They even had South Carolina at one point.

All In all its a game i'd of loved to convert, but none of the tools want to work with me, so curse you, fate.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 29, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What was EU3 like before any of the expansions? Did you just blob as hard and as fast as possible?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Yeah, you would blob up slowly until you were powerful enough to fight everything, then you fought the entire world nonstop forever. And you had to wait for unification events. And send merchants manually.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Double post

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I tried a cursorary conversion, and whilst I could muddle through changing country names in a roundabout dumb way (the localization folder, woo laziness) - how do I deal with the noculture issue.

Or rather, why the hell wont this god drat java tool work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Chief Savage Man posted:

Yeah, you would blob up slowly until you were powerful enough to fight everything, then you fought the entire world nonstop forever. And you had to wait for unification events. And send merchants manually.

I'm actually a little tempted to find my original EUIII install disc and do a mini-retrospective before EUIV comes out about how far EUIII came.

I'm also having choice paralysis about picking a nation for my final farewell game of EUIII. :unsmith:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I'm actually a little tempted to find my original EUIII install disc and do a mini-retrospective before EUIV comes out about how far EUIII came.

I'm also having choice paralysis about picking a nation for my final farewell game of EUIII. :unsmith:

The Big Blue Blob is the best choice, and you know it. For both the retrospective and the final game.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Well my most recent USA game in HOD is going weird. The Civil war occurred on schedule, the CSA was wrecked and absorbed. Yet, i noticed that my soldier cap went up by four.

Turns out this one county in Oklahoma had 75% soldiers for its population, which I would have only to the brutal annihilation of a lot of Cherokee.

Afterthat, things are calm, except for an anarcho-liberal uprising. Which consists entirely of african americans. Seriously, they had a african soldier model and everything :psyduck:. I'm not even sure how that happened

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Alchenar posted:

And this guy is an apologist for Matrix games.

I am a woman and I am not an "apologist" for matrix games. I like them. I like playing them. They are fun. Grognard games are fun. And I believe you play Matrix games too.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there a good guide for modding Victoria II? I would like to create a new scenario but am not even sure how to begin.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Does EU3+ have the colony names from miscmods built in?

Also, I know there was a beta for V2+ once upon a time, but are we going to get the real thing when Wiz finishes up the V2 portion of the Azerbaijan LP like we did with EU3+?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I've been rereading The Prince and Chapter XXVI, "An Exhortation to Liberate Italy From the Barbarians," is a very interesting early call for a unified Italy under the de Medicis as a way of dealing with French occupation of Lombardy and Spanish ownership of Naples and Sicily. Machiavelli points out that Lorenzo's cousin, Giuliano de Medici, is high-up in the Curia (and would later become Clement VII in 1523) and that Florentine arms and Papal sanction and the general Italian animosity against the French should lead Lorenzo to form a pan-north Italian league against the French and then take on Spain. It's just a really weird document because Machiavelli writes kind of like a Paradox player. He even counts the pips on the different national unit types and rates them.

Nicolo Machiavelli posted:

And although Swiss and Spanish infantry may be considered very formidable, nevertheless there is a defect in both, by reason of which a third order would not only be able to oppose them, but might be relied upon to overthrow them. For the Spaniards cannot resist cavalry, and the Switzers are afraid of infantry whenever they encounter them in close combat. Owing to this, as has been and may again be seen, the Spaniards are unable to resist French cavalry, and the Switzers are overthrown by Spanish infantry. And although a complete proof of this latter cannot be shown, nevertheless there was some evidence of it at the battle of Ravenna, when the Spanish infantry were confronted by German battalions, who follow the same tactics as the Swiss; when the Spaniards, by agility of body and with the aid of their shields, got in under the pikes of the Germans and stood out of danger, able to attack, while the Germans stood helpless, and, if the cavalry had not dashed up, all would have been over for them. It is possible, therefore, knowing the defects of both these infantries, to invent a new one, which will resist cavalry and not be afraid of infantry; this need not create a new order of arms, but a variation upon the old. And these are the kind of improvements which confer reputation and power upon a new prince.

This opportunity, therefore, ought not to be allowed to pass for letting Italy at last see her liberator appear. Nor can one express the love with which he would be received in all those provinces which have suffered so much from these foreign scourings, with what thirst for revenge, with what stubborn faith, with what devotion, with what tears. What door would be closed to him? Who would refuse obedience to him? What envy would hinder him? What Italian would refuse to him homage? To all of us this barbarous dominion stinks. Let, therefore, your illustrious house take up this charge with that courage and hope with which all just enterprises are undertaken, so that under its standard our native country can be ennobled, and under its auspices may be verified that saying of Petrarch:

"Virtue against fury shall advance the fight/
And it i' th' combat soon shall put to flight/
For the old Roman valour is not dead/
Nor in th' Italians' breasts extinguished."

This is bizarrely Romantic Nationalist 19th century writings for someone writing at the dawn of the 16th century.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Patter Song posted:

He even counts the pips on the different national unit types and rates them.

In large part European military thought pre-Clausewitz tended to regard things in a very rigid manner which tried to categorize everything in a fashion that really would fit with units being given pips ranking their attack/move speed/etc. In his book The Art of War (like thirty different theorists wrote books called that) Machiavelli actually goes into details like the proper distance between men marching in formation and so forth - insane minutiae that no strategist has any need to know of.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What he writes about Swiss mercs makes little sense tough, their units were actually pretty good in close combat because they used halberds. The lenght and style of the weapon allows for usage from behind other men. The front row would often focus on using it like a pike (or in fact, had pikes) while being supported by their comrades in the back, who favoured the axe part. Even armored infantry lost to halberd units, because it did significant damage to armor.
It's been a while since history class but I think Swiss mercs mostly lost to artillery (against the French for example) and other ranged weapons, not to infantry in close combat (they had crossbows in their ranks, but not many).

Either Swiss schoolbooks are full of nationalistic bias or Machiavelli was on drugs when he wrote that. Just seems very odd for someone who had such a clear mind when it came to tactics and politics.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Mister Adequate posted:

In large part European military thought pre-Clausewitz tended to regard things in a very rigid manner which tried to categorize everything in a fashion that really would fit with units being given pips ranking their attack/move speed/etc. In his book The Art of War (like thirty different theorists wrote books called that) Machiavelli actually goes into details like the proper distance between men marching in formation and so forth - insane minutiae that no strategist has any need to know of.

I really love Renaissance-era military theory precisely because most of it really resembled grognard gamers theorycrafting. This was the first time they started writing this poo poo out or even really planning it in a detailed way, so a lot of innovators viewed themselves more as engineers than as leaders. And the best part is that while they calculated optimal formations for various weapon ranges and such, many would also try to make them aesthetically pleasing and sperg out about geometry, planning out things like castle-shaped formations based on the golden rectangle.

The ancestral roots of "pretty borders".

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

AtomikKrab posted:

ok So I managed to pull off restoring the entire persian empire and it got me thinking. It gave all my kids the saoshyant descendant trait but shouldn't their kids get it as well? it seems very limited the way they have it.

code:
# Children gains Saoshyant Descendant trait from Saoshyant
character_event = {
	id = TOG.6001
	hide_window = yes

trigger = {
		has_dlc = "The Old Gods"
		OR = {
			mother = { trait = saoshyant }
			father = { trait = saoshyant }
		}
		NOT = { trait = saoshyant_descendant }
	}

immediate = {
		add_trait = saoshyant_descendant
	}

option = {
		name = OK
	}
}
Well my oldest son had another kid, who then got it... So really this event needs lines in case of any grandchildren or great grands.

mother = { trait = saoshyant_descendant }
father = { trait = saoshyant_descendant }

I added a thread on the paradox forums on this oversight.

Saoshyant descendent is agnatic, like Sayyid. All their male children will have the Saoshyant descendant trait.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was EU3 like before any of the expansions? Did you just blob as hard and as fast as possible?
I believe that Ming used to reach the Caspian Sea fairly regularly in vanilla EU3.

e; it was also a hollow shell of a game.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Kainser posted:

I believe that Ming used to reach the Caspian Sea fairly regularly in vanilla EU3.

e; it was also a hollow shell of a game.

Both of these things. The only thing that kept Ming in check in early EU3 was a -50% national tax penalty attached to confucianism as a state religion, since Ming was the only state with that faith. And it didn't even do that very well, Ming would just slowly consume all of Asia into one giant blob and nothing would stand in its way. This also led to the player Ming strategy of using whatever exploitative means possible to change state religions as soon as possible, as a Ming with full tax is already richer than any nation in the world.

As far as the hollow shell goes, yeah, there was very little actually happening. All of the skeletons of your modern EU3 systems are there for the most part, but there's no meat on them at all. Everything that ever happened was an event, and events were literally incapable of firing on fixed dates in the Clausewitz engine. The national unifications required you to hold an arbitrary set of provinces (which you really had no way of knowing without looking in the game files or online, and then events with a MTTH that worked out to like ten years would fire, allowing you to change tags and get the cores. The CB system was literally nonexistent till IN, before that there were a limited set of circumstances in which you could declare war on co-religionist neighbors without a stability hit. Heathens caused no stability hit and heretics could have their stab hit eliminated with a national idea.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I ran on Reddit into something that really should be seen:

http://manifoldcreations.blogspot.ca/2013/06/europa-universalis-iii-simulation-big.html

http://manifoldcreations.blogspot.ca/2013/06/europa-universalis-iii-simulation-sick.html

quote:

To satisfy my curiosity, I decided to simulate 50 games of Europa Universalis III. [...]
Processing this data, I then isolated and overlayed the results for each nation, giving a map depicting the probability that that nation will occupy a province at a given time. This yields one video per country. Darker regions on the map indicate that the nation of interest occupied that province in a large number of games, and in contrast, light regions mean that this province was occupied only in a small number of games.

He's done six nations so far and will do more. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_uw9LGjLc

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Wow, the England one looks like a disease slowly spreading across the entire world.

Go figure.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

quadrophrenic posted:

Wow, the England one looks like a disease slowly spreading across the entire world.

Go figure.

The best one is Austria that immediately starts snaking its way to Korea.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is that saying that the Ottomans are more only slightly more likely to take Tehran than they are Moscow? :psyduck:

I'll have to watch this guy, this is pretty interesting. I wonder if he'll do every nation? I'd be interested to see what happens with smaller nations like Travancore or Hedjaz.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is that saying that the Ottomans are more only slightly more likely to take Tehran than they are Moscow? :psyduck:

I'll have to watch this guy, this is pretty interesting. I wonder if he'll do every nation? I'd be interested to see what happens with smaller nations like Travancore or Hedjaz.

Worse, they're only as likely to hold all of Anatolia as they are to have Moscow :D

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I imagine he'd need more simulations to get a useful picture of the smaller nations. 50 runs may be just enough to get a feel for what a nation does if that nation is one of the larger ones or is otherwise virtually guaranteed to survive for a while. For nations that don't, there might only be a handful of runs that could provide enough data for anything interesting.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's really noticeable how small his sample size is when you very easily can see one single austrian playthrough snaking it's way through siberia.

The Ottoman one is hilariously pathetic either way though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

My favorite no-expansion game of EU3 I ever played was a "vassalize everyone" game as Austria-- I conquered most of southern Germany, and then began just force-vassalizing everyone after that. France was my vassal. Russia was my vassal. The Ottomans and Mamelukes were my vassals. It just became an unstoppable ball of vassalization after a while.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Does anyone have any experience playing as the Teutonic Knights in EU3? I kind of want to try them out (they do turn into Prussia eventually, right?) and then port the game over to V2 to see how dominant I can make Germany (oh yes, I totally intend to create Germany as soon as possible). This also plays into the question earlier in the thread: how does one go about making a custom scenario for V2?

edit:

Ofaloaf posted:

My favorite no-expansion game of EU3 I ever played was a "vassalize everyone" game as Austria-- I conquered most of southern Germany, and then began just force-vassalizing everyone after that. France was my vassal. Russia was my vassal. The Ottomans and Mamelukes were my vassals. It just became an unstoppable ball of vassalization after a while.

From Kersch's EU3 LP:

Austria really is the best nation to play as in EU3 since you can basically vassalize every HRE state and then declare war on whoever you like and watch that country drown in an ocean of different banners without having to lift a finger:allears::hf::black101:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 30, 2013

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The Teutonic Order in Divine Wind is in a pretty good spot to form Germany through Prussia whilst completely bypassing the mechanics of the Holy Roman Empire (much like real history!)
Early on things can get a bit dicey--you just need to make sure you're friends with at least three out of the six nearby nations who can ruin your day--Bohemia/The Emperor, Moscow, the Hansa, Denmark, Poland/Lithuania and Novgorod. The Russians and the Scandinavians are probably going to be last on your list of people you want to fight but Denmark often starts with a mission to reclaim Gotland so you will need to deal with them at some point. Bohemia should only become a threat once you start moving in on HRE member states, but if you time your wars strategically you can take stuff like Pommerania and Brandenburg while they're off in France or Turkey or Austria and slowly reach critical mass. It's a pretty fun and relatively unique campaign. You're larger than most of your neighbors but all of your paths to expansion carry a pretty high risk of pissing off a Big Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Is there any way in Victoria 2 to have a crisis for a nation if a great power backs the nation that is trying to gain land, but nobody backs the nation losing land? It seems strange to me that if say the USA backs Yucatan's claim to Yucatan, and nobody backs Mexico, nothing happens and everyone goes home happy, but if someone had disagreed with the USA, then they may have done something about Yucatan's quest for independence. At the very least the USA should gain a CB to enforce the goal of the crisis.

• Locked thread