Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

If I want to buy a bunch of the new pink and purple bricks, which Friends sets should I buy?

(ie, mostly useful stuff to build with, less greebles and Friends accessories)

Maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Bricks-More-Pink-Brick/dp/B005VPRDAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372473544&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+bricks+and+more

I think because girls at that age are more likely to roleplay instead of build things the Friends sets seem to come with a lot of accessories. I'm already picking up a few of them to hold on to just in case my daughter ends up with an interest in Lego's later on. I am getting these ones simply because they remind me of the old Littlest Pet Shop toys I played with as a kid, and they are already retired: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190862341833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Rathina posted:

Maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Bricks-More-Pink-Brick/dp/B005VPRDAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372473544&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+bricks+and+more

I think because girls at that age are more likely to roleplay instead of build things the Friends sets seem to come with a lot of accessories. I'm already picking up a few of them to hold on to just in case my daughter ends up with an interest in Lego's later on. I am getting these ones simply because they remind me of the old Littlest Pet Shop toys I played with as a kid, and they are already retired: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190862341833?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I love the reviews.

"Finally legos for girls"

Nothing like re-enforcing gender toy stereotypes of pink and purple poo poo = for girls and that all previous lego could not be enjoyed by girls at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I love the reviews.

"Finally legos for girls"

Nothing like re-enforcing gender toy stereotypes of pink and purple poo poo = for girls and that all previous lego could not be enjoyed by girls at all.

With your posts in this thread I'm starting to wonder if you just got revived from cryosleep or something. By the way I've got some super bad news about the World Trade Center.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Ignimbrite posted:

I picked up 5 minifigure packs today for a whopping $1 off per package. Felt out a sad clown / mime / pagliacci which I've been after, but I've yet to find the two I'm really after from this series, the cute librarian and the bumblebee girl. I would have thought the bumblebee girl would be easy to feel for but I have not felt a single set of wings or her helmet yet.

I'm in Australia and can send you a bee girl, got any doubles?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For all the UK goons, The Daily mail (I know..) is giving away free Lego today and tomorrow. Gandalf today and a little black car tomorrow!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm sure most aussies would already know, but BigW and Target are having 20% off toys atm, including Lego.

Picked up a Creator 31011 Aviation Adventures plane for $55.

Really impressed with the piece count and the build features. I didn't really understand the whole propeller spinning mechanism till after it was built, but it works really well. The canopy also has a really neat action.

Quite swooshable and a really solid build. 2 minifigs even fit in it (will have to find all my pilot minifigs).

Could have saved $7 at BigW on that and threw in some minifigs.

That Chima Gorilla looks amazing, I havent seen it locally though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Anyone planning on picking up a spare Gandalf?

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Travis343 posted:

With your posts in this thread I'm starting to wonder if you just got revived from cryosleep or something. By the way I've got some super bad news about the World Trade Center.

Why exactly couldn't girls enjoy all previous lego? Must it be purple and pink barbie poo poo to get them to play with it? It's a parents agenda.

thanks for not having any balls anymore sa forums. you really think thats trolling. bunch of no balls having pussy faggots. where is the SA I knew 10 years ago not even a prob hahahahahaa get hosed
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Why exactly couldn't girls enjoy all previous lego? Must it be purple and pink barbie poo poo to get them to play with it? It's a parents agenda.

So don't buy your daughter Friends? Buy her City or Galaxy Squad or something. Or, y'know, buy both and mash them together. You'd be surprised at how adept Olivia is at dispatching velociraptors and General Grievous from her tree house.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What I mean is that everybody in the world has been having these exact conversations about Friends ever since it was announced and you're in here acting like you've got some kind of revelation nobody ever considered before.

Plus you want people to listen to a dude called "your a fag please die" on matters of sexism and gender equality.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Travis343 posted:

What I mean is that everybody in the world has been having these exact conversations about Friends ever since it was announced and you're in here acting like you've got some kind of revelation nobody ever considered before.

Plus you want people to listen to a dude called "your a fag please die" on matters of sexism and gender equality.

Judging by his other posts around I won't be too surprised if he takes a little break in the near future. I'm not going to worry about it too much. I just wanted to talk about raptors, m'self.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Warning: Please do not further derail this thread with LEGO gender politics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

neonnoodle posted:

Can I just say I find his username incredibly offensive too?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Sorry man, all I wanted was some advice on buying pink bricks.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Ika posted:

Anyone planning on picking up a spare Gandalf?

I've got 3 spare Gandalfs and a good handful of the older Sun Lego promotions. Sorry if I didn't get back to your emails a few months back, really hectic few months unfortunately :(

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I want to build the poo poo out of the Chima Gorilla, I've been excited about that thing for months. It's up there with the Tower of Orthanc on the list of sets I want to pick up. I can get the disinterest in the Chima Speedzors, which are a little weird to me, but the main sets are pretty cool. I'm having a hard time seeing the bionacle comparison - I don't have any problem with the parts lists, but then, I don't really need a million more 2x4 bricks.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
A group of kids in Australia toppled a cool Lego helicopter build.

A dick move, and I hope they can put it back together. But I loved this caption on the above photo:

Serious stuff: Ryan McNaught is the only man authorised to build Lego in Australia. He is pictured here with the helicopter he built before it was destroyed.

Australian Lego fans, please put down your bricks. You're not authorised.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Karnegal posted:

I want to build the poo poo out of the Chima Gorilla, I've been excited about that thing for months. It's up there with the Tower of Orthanc on the list of sets I want to pick up. I can get the disinterest in the Chima Speedzors, which are a little weird to me, but the main sets are pretty cool. I'm having a hard time seeing the bionacle comparison - I don't have any problem with the parts lists, but then, I don't really need a million more 2x4 bricks.

Yeah. I'm not into the Chima series but the gorilla's look pretty cool.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Terranax Liberators - Model R1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Hamburlgar posted:

For all the UK goons, The Daily mail (I know..) is giving away free Lego today and tomorrow. Gandalf today and a little black car tomorrow!

I forgot all about this until I popped into WHSmiths with the intention of picking up one of the Galaxy Squad Polybags.

Two Gandalf's later

One does not simply walk into Mordor. One takes THE GANDSPEEDER (complete with GPS)

My favourite SNOT detail... the shaft of the spears slot into his feet and hold him in place.

I hadn't seen any Hobbit sets before. The Lonely Mountain map is amazingly detailed and even apes the original art style.

Edit: While I was uploading these my kid made this (he calls it the Mini-GandWalker). I don't think I've ever been more proud of him.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 29, 2013

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Hamburlgar posted:

I've got 3 spare Gandalfs and a good handful of the older Sun Lego promotions. Sorry if I didn't get back to your emails a few months back, really hectic few months unfortunately :(

I think you had posted something in the thread back then mentioning that, its fine. I'm interested in a Gandalf, and depending on which older sets you have perhaps some of those as well. Drop me a line and we can discuss it via email instead of spamming up the thread.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Is the Kingdoms Joust set really that good? I don't have it and i assume it's going out of production pretty soon so i should pick it up now if i want it. But compared to the Medieval Market Village and the Mill Village Raid it looks really meh and expensive for 110 bucks. Review for the set are all good but it looks like a wall with 2 towers and a bunch of generic minifigures to me, nothing special. And seeing as i can pre-order all of the new Castle sets for 175 euros which is more bricks, more minifigs and a sweet dragon it doesn't seem that attractive to me.

engessa fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 29, 2013

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Captain Invictus posted:

They're pretty clever and the sets themselves don't look bad either, just look at that drat crocodile jungle boat thing. Or this Gorilla Mech, it kinda owns.

Both the new Croc Base and the new Lion Base are pretty cool. Far better than a lot of the licensed bases (Turtles I'm looking at you) they've done recently.

I like bases.

Also this one.

Like Ninjago the second wave is a lot better than the first (with the exception of the Croc boat).

Unfortunately I don't like the theme of the minifigures. If these were generic space or adventure guys I'd be all over this.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gravy Jones posted:

Both the new Croc Base and the new Lion Base are pretty cool. Far better than a lot of the licensed bases (Turtles I'm looking at you) they've done recently.

I like bases.

Also this one.

Like Ninjago the second wave is a lot better than the first (with the exception of the Croc boat).

Unfortunately I don't like the theme of the minifigures. If these were generic space or adventure guys I'd be all over this.

Oh my god these are glorious :allears: Bases are indeed The Best Thing. Love the waterfall in the lions' base. Now we just need some awesome bases for Galaxy Squad and I'll be 100% satisfied with the current product lines.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Edit: Nevermind!

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Man the giant gorilla bot is outstanding. The Chima line is so absurd I wish I had the space to buy them and build them. Still have too many large sets still in box from moving LAST summer.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
One of the gorilla minifigures off to the left looks like he has silver hulk hands as weapons. That set is filled with all the right kinds of crazy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Merchant of Death posted:

One of the gorilla minifigures off to the left looks like he has silver hulk hands as weapons. That set is filled with all the right kinds of crazy.

There's another one that seems to have a hulk hand on a stick as well.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Well I was thrilled to be able to pick up the Fun With Vehicles set today! I think it's been retired since March, and I looked everywhere locally I could think of since people on ebay want $40-50+shipping for it. I did a lot of googling, and way far back turned up a page on Barnes & Nobles website, plugged in my zip code and it said they had one in stock! So I went down and checked it out and sure enough they had it for the original price of $30.

They did have a few other sets that were older as well I think (Pharaohs, atlantis, ninja turtles), unfortunately I was with my 2 and 4 year old and couldn't get my internet to work on my phone to see if there was anything else I should pick up either for Ebay or for when my kids are older.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

pharaoh and atlantis are the only sets I have ever seen reduced in price here in Germany due to poor sales, everything else is just stacked in the corner until someone ends up buying it 3 years later for full price. I saw some ninjago fire temples and alien conquest sets earlier today for full price.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

change of pace from some mechs

Terranax Liberators - Artillery Trucks (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sockser posted:

I've been doing series 10 entirely blind bag and I think I've gotten 8 baseball players out of 20 bags.

Fuckin.

Want to trade? That's basically the last one I really want. I keep getting goddamn skydivers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

engessa posted:

Is the Kingdoms Joust set really that good? I don't have it and i assume it's going out of production pretty soon so i should pick it up now if i want it. But compared to the Medieval Market Village and the Mill Village Raid it looks really meh and expensive for 110 bucks. Review for the set are all good but it looks like a wall with 2 towers and a bunch of generic minifigures to me, nothing special. And seeing as i can pre-order all of the new Castle sets for 175 euros which is more bricks, more minifigs and a sweet dragon it doesn't seem that attractive to me.

Personally I really liked Kingdoms Joust, it's an 'adult' build which means that as far as techniques and density of bricks it's going to be a much more involved build than the sets that were sold in stores. It's not quite as cool as MMV but pretty much nothing is. I liked the unique Black Falcon style of the knight. It's got a lot of little rooms on the back side of the big wall thing with a lot of neat little details.

Personally the new Castle sets look pretty awful to me. They're almost literally the same sets as the last Kingdoms line but with new heraldry for the knights. I guess its cool that Lego is doing something with Dragons again but the sets themselves are the least creative things I've seen in a while. If your only concern is brick count then go for it, but if you want interesting models to build I think Joust is going to be a lot more fun to put together. If you're comparing it to MMV and Mill Village Raid it seems like maybe you just want some peasants for your Lego kingdom though, and Joust is not the set for you in that case.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Canopus250 posted:

Man the giant gorilla bot is outstanding. The Chima line is so absurd I wish I had the space to buy them and build them. Still have too many large sets still in box from moving LAST summer.

Chima strikes me as the kind of thing that AFOLs aren't going to grok at all, but kids are just going to eat that poo poo up.

Today, I don't want to build or display a croc boat or lion base and I'm surely not going to play with it. But if I was 8 again? HOOOOOLY poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

einTier posted:

Chima strikes me as the kind of thing that AFOLs aren't going to grok at all, but kids are just going to eat that poo poo up.

Today, I don't want to build or display a croc boat or lion base and I'm surely not going to play with it. But if I was 8 again? HOOOOOLY poo poo.

This right here is why it's awesome to have a kid that's into LEGO. You can still get some of that little kid wonder of it, at least vicariously.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

rickiep00h posted:

This right here is why it's awesome to have a kid that's into LEGO. You can still get some of that little kid wonder of it, at least vicariously.

Likewise with working at a LEGO store and seeing the kids go crazy over the sets. It brings a smile to my face to see them get excited over things like Cragger's Command Ship and the other large and awesome sets. Can't wait for these Chima bases so I can see their reactions to those, too!

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

benito posted:

A group of kids in Australia toppled a cool Lego helicopter build.

A dick move, and I hope they can put it back together. But I loved this caption on the above photo:

Serious stuff: Ryan McNaught is the only man authorised to build Lego in Australia. He is pictured here with the helicopter he built before it was destroyed.

Australian Lego fans, please put down your bricks. You're not authorised.

Follow up to this. Two 14 year olds were arrested today for destroying the piece. They will be dealt with under the youth justice act which means a caution, or slap on the wrist. So they caught them yay but there is essentially no punishment.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Follow up to this. Two 14 year olds were arrested today for destroying the piece. They will be dealt with under the youth justice act which means a caution, or slap on the wrist. So they caught them yay but there is essentially no punishment.

Yeah if only they had beat them for breaking that Lego model.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

The Rage posted:

Yeah if only they had beat them for breaking that Lego model.

Order them to rebuild it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

The Rage posted:

Yeah if only they had beat them with a sock of 2x2 bricks.

Fixed.

Better yet, make them cross through three miles of unsorted bricks during summer. Then they shall learn respect.

P.S.: Captain Foo, Don't stop.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 1, 2013