Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Any idea why my second son would become my heir over my fist son in primo?

Nobody had any titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Amnistar posted:

Nobody had any titles.

If you're playing Byzntines, if your second son was born while you were emperor and your first son was born before you took the throne, then he gets the "Born in the Purple" trait and is given succession preference.

Otherwise, check your first son's pulse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Amnistar posted:

Nobody had any titles.

Being nominated to inherit a bishopric disqualifies from succession, check if you have free investiture. Even if you haven't nominated him, if the is in the court of somebody else his liege could nominate him as an heir to a bishop. Also, did second your son become your heir the moment he was born or was it later in his life?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So this is the first Brittany start I've played since Old Gods, and I just managed to capture what must be the ONE Viking chief that isn't swimming in gold to pay his ransom with. :negative:

edit: literally the poorest independent noble in the entire game, yay Iceland!

I hope they introduce even rudimentary naval combat someday just so we can MAYBE have a way to actrually do something about Viking raids. There are just so many and they raid you like clockwork and your choices are "lose something" or "lose a ton", there's no way to proactively stop them or even get anything back and I swear when I start playing my son who's inherited Wales ALL YOU FUCKERS ARE GOING TO PAY. :black101:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 29, 2013

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm sure people have seen this before, but it's a pretty :black101: event.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Nolanar posted:

I'd love to see this for Norse characters, with possession by Loki (deceitful/cynical/ambitious/?) or some other god (maybe Odin for :black101:). I don't know enough about the other Pagans to think of who could show up in your brain though.

For possessed Norse, this might happen:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
As far as I know this is the best outcome. I have seen my sons come back with a Greek wife or converted to Orthodoxy, but this event is really cool. +4 martial and the scarred and Varangian trait, for a net +6 martial.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Man, I love that they fixed the kingdom drift bug. It's nice to see Brittania and Frisia with the "We will be true Scandanavians soon!" hash marks.

On a more frustrating note, it seems like the Jomsvikings will always be Old Norse, even if the faith reforms. Is there a way to fix that at all, but still have them be unreformed if the faith is disorganized? It just seems weird for them to be a faith that has otherwise been completely converted.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Torrannor posted:

As far as I know this is the best outcome. I have seen my sons come back with a Greek wife or converted to Orthodoxy, but this event is really cool. +4 martial and the scarred and Varangian trait, for a net +6 martial.

There is one better one for martial. A son that goes off with a martial upgbringing can come back as a brilliant strategist and get an addtional +2 martial and +2 from varangian, so ou can get a son that gets a net of 12 martial if they go from Tough Solider to Brilliant Strategist.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Nolanar posted:

Man, I love that they fixed the kingdom drift bug. It's nice to see Brittania and Frisia with the "We will be true Scandanavians soon!" hash marks.

On a more frustrating note, it seems like the Jomsvikings will always be Old Norse, even if the faith reforms. Is there a way to fix that at all, but still have them be unreformed if the faith is disorganized? It just seems weird for them to be a faith that has otherwise been completely converted.

In my game the Jomsvikings were reformed Norse the day they originated. By this point the Norse reformation had already occured, however

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Torrannor posted:

Don't know how it picks which event to trigger but that son was already married when he left and my family had already converted to Catholicism.

Another son who also joined the Guard had the same event when he came back a few years later.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Flippycunt posted:

May or may not be compatible with 1.13, I don't know, I'm one of those Gamersgate suckers.

Hey, thanks for making and maintaining this mod by the way! I'm playing with the latest versions of CK2+ and Better Armies (non-Hardcore Mode) with the 1.13 beta patch, and there's a bugged building "ca_test_5" available to buy. The tooltip says something about steppe horsemen and it adds heavy infantry and light cavalry, probably not supposed to be enabled.

I'll let you know if I notice any other bugs!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Emanuel Collective posted:

In my game the Jomsvikings were reformed Norse the day they originated. By this point the Norse reformation had already occured, however

It had already happened for me, and there were precisely 0 Old Norse counties at the time, too. The leader of the Jomsvikings is basically a crazy old man in a castle trying desperately to defend a faith that no longer exists.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nolanar posted:

It had already happened for me, and there were precisely 0 Old Norse counties at the time, too. The leader of the Jomsvikings is basically a crazy old man in a castle trying desperately to defend a faith that no longer exists.

That sounds pretty sad, and also an excellent starting point for a Jomsviking playthrough once they get Theocracies playable. Get this reformed scripture bullshit out of here, being Norse is all about killiiiiing :black101:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

They can also come back with the Brave trait, which is a net +6 if they already had Craven I think.

Mine always come back gay or with PTSD(including the one who only pretended to join the Varangian Guard and actually spent all that time on vacation in Mali).

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Kilonum posted:

If you're playing Byzntines, if your second son was born while you were emperor and your first son was born before you took the throne, then he gets the "Born in the Purple" trait and is given succession preference.

Otherwise, check your first son's pulse.

Torrannor posted:

Being nominated to inherit a bishopric disqualifies from succession, check if you have free investiture. Even if you haven't nominated him, if the is in the court of somebody else his liege could nominate him as an heir to a bishop. Also, did second your son become your heir the moment he was born or was it later in his life?

I am byzantine, both sons are born in purple. The second son became the heir right when he was born. I reloaded the game and the first son was heir for awhile, then the second born became heir again at some point (not sure when)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Amnistar posted:

I am byzantine, both sons are born in purple. The second son became the heir right when he was born. I reloaded the game and the first son was heir for awhile, then the second born became heir again at some point (not sure when)

A far shot but was he maybe also the heir to a trade republic? The game hates that.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

genericnick posted:

A far shot but was he maybe also the heir to a trade republic? The game hates that.

I don't think so.

The firstborn died, so it's a moot point now, but yea, wierdest thing I've seen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dallan Invictus posted:

So this is the first Brittany start I've played since Old Gods, and I just managed to capture what must be the ONE Viking chief that isn't swimming in gold to pay his ransom with. :negative:

edit: literally the poorest independent noble in the entire game, yay Iceland!

I hope they introduce even rudimentary naval combat someday just so we can MAYBE have a way to actrually do something about Viking raids. There are just so many and they raid you like clockwork and your choices are "lose something" or "lose a ton", there's no way to proactively stop them or even get anything back and I swear when I start playing my son who's inherited Wales ALL YOU FUCKERS ARE GOING TO PAY. :black101:

To be fair, isn't this basically historically accurate? Viking raiders weren't super warriors, they were just hard to pin down and struck by surprise.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I wish someone would mod CK2+ to return all the duchy, county, and kingdom colors to their defaults. Scandinavia and the British Isles are giving me a headache in 867 in CK2+, and it's such a pain in the rear end to go through and change all the colors back.

This is very important.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

To be fair, isn't this basically historically accurate? Viking raiders weren't super warriors, they were just hard to pin down and struck by surprise.

Yeah, Viking raids weren't armies of thousands of dudes. I took a class on Nordic Mythology & the Viking Age when I was studying in Copenhagen, my takeaway from that course was that the longboat (combined with a relatively warm climate) was what really propelled their expansion and successes. It's the medieval ages, so there aren't really standing armies. Viking longboats could (in)famously navigate rivers, so they could pop up unexpectedly, smash and grab your town, then book it before local soldiers could show up. How this plays out in game is probably pretty realistic; it's really annoying to combat Viking raids because it takes too long to raise and combine your troops. By the time you get there, they just gently caress off in their little boats :doom:

Edit: Vikings rarely actually sieged anything, either. They were kinda lovely at taking and holding land.

To elaborate on that point, they didn't really come equipped for drawn-out sieges against fortified positions. You're not going to have enough supplies and equipment in your boats for a protracted siege, and you don't have the manpower. You can't afford the time to execute a siege because that gives the locals time to put together an army.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 30, 2013

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Does anyone know how to get the "Lion King" nickname in the latest version of VIET? As the king of Ghana I managed to form the Mali Empire but never got the event that gives me the title.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I hate how my vassals are happy to let the vikings steal their poo poo when they could easily field an army big enough to crush them, but if I raise my levies from their demesne they get mad.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Got lucky in the "Genoa raid", picked up some sweet loot. This game :allears:

Also, I accidentally made Buddy Holly a vassal.

...okay, well it made ME laugh. Also, this jackass who owns nearly all of Sweden and Finland but is still only a Petty King is all that stands between me and reforming the Norse faith. The only CBs I have are conquests, and while I have a relatively young ruler with an absurd Martial (thanks in part to my +2 Axe of Raiding), I really don't want to chip away at his territories every couple years. Any ideas?

e: Also, in all of my games, I've only gotten one guy to join the Varangian Guard, and he had to cut short his adventures after a year because I died stomping a peasant revolt.

Protagorean fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 30, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I hate how my vassals are happy to let the vikings steal their poo poo when they could easily field an army big enough to crush them, but if I raise my levies from their demesne they get mad.

The AI has always done this since the launch of the game with rebels.

I say let them suffer, lazy bastards.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If the noble has a large enough army, they'll deal with rebels for you. It's one of the advantages of creating vassal kingdoms and/or mega-dukes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BillBear posted:

The AI has always done this since the launch of the game with rebels.

I say let them suffer, lazy bastards.

I've seen them raise levies sometimes, but very rarely.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I've seen them raise levies sometimes, but very rarely.

I have only seen them raise them in a vassal war, and i have over 400 hours in. It might of been during a war, your vassal decided to take care of them on his way to the fight.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BillBear posted:

I have only seen them raise them in a vassal war, and i have over 400 hours in. It might of been during a war, your vassal decided to take care of them on his way to the fight.

Yeah, probably.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I see it all the time, but maybe that's just because I tend to make strong vassals. They'll usually raise up troops anytime there's a viking landing and will chase them off themselves.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Trujillo posted:

I see it all the time, but maybe that's just because I tend to make strong vassals. They'll usually raise up troops anytime there's a viking landing and will chase them off themselves.

Ditto. I have no problem letting my vassals take care of about 90% of my rebellions once I really get going. The only ones I have to deal with myself are the ones that start in single-county-ruler territory or the ones that are just too big for a single duke's levies to handle--and for the latter it's still fine if it happens in one of my vassal kingdoms because the king will raise the levies himself.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Hmm.. so there is a good reason to make powerful vassals? I always make really weak ones, to avoid a really painful back stab later when his grand son decides to murder my entire family.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

BillBear posted:

Hmm.. so there is a good reason to make powerful vassals? I always make really weak ones, to avoid a really painful back stab later when his grand son decides to murder my entire family.

Powerful vassals can conquer territory on their own, adding to your wealth and pool of troops. But, as you say, this gives them a stronger incentive to stab you, and if not them, their heirs and heirs' heirs. Weak vassals generally means more vassals, which means more bribes when it comes to lawchanging time. Balancing this relationship is your job, monarch.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yep. Powerful vassals will also start (and win!) wars for more territory. Of course, they make every succession more interesting because you have to scramble for a bit until the short reign penalty wears off, but it absolutely can work in your favor. In my Roman Empire game (almost all of Europe conquered except Russia and the steppe territories), I have every single Kingdom title I could create handed out to somebody, and before I started handing out Kingdoms I handed out every Duchies with every county included all to the same guy. At this point I could probably leave my armies around Constantinople and never worry about anything except the Aztecs and the Khans; my vassals would conquer the rest of the world for me.

vvv I'm actually afraid to use Elective in said Roman Empire game. There are something like 150 electors for the main empire title. It's primogeniture and stabbing at that point for me.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 30, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Or you can just change laws to Elective and fill all the ducal titles with your dynasty members, in which case you really don't care!

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
What do I get from pulling a Norse to Danish cultural transition, other than an opinion malus?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Pellisworth posted:

How this plays out in game is probably pretty realistic; it's really annoying to combat Viking raids because it takes too long to raise and combine your troops. By the time you get there, they just gently caress off in their little boats :doom:

Yeah, you're right, it is accurate, just also really enraging to be on the other side of. Winning (or, well, limiting loss) is easy because basically every county I own is coastal so I can play bait games with boats, but it's irritating because there's no easy way to mass-embark (still) and there's just no end to them: driving off or crushing one raiding party just means the next one shows up in a month because every Bjorn, Stig, and Erik from here to Murmansk can and will have a go at you.

I don't know if there really should be any nerfing to raiding (besides maybe some concept of naval range) but a guy's gotta vent sometimes, eh?

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Question about Old Gods and arranging marriages.

So when I was playing as a Catholic and I arranged marriages for my courtiers, whomever I arranged for them to marry would join my court. But as a Norse this does not seem to be the case. When I arrange a marriage for one of my courtiers they leave my court. This is especially troublesome for the single members of my council and setting up a foundation of capable courtiers. Does something work differently or what?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Byzantine Empire hates trade republics, they've taken over Venice (which is now directly owned by the Emperor) and have already mentioned that they're changing a law and I get input despite not being in the empire... yet!

Also 3 generations of my family have had the same wife :stonklol:.

One thing about taking land as a republic:

I know I can conquer cities in a county that I have a trade post in and this gives me CB to seize the county later in a war, but if the trade post is owned by one of other families in my republic do they get the county and act as my vassal or do I get it in my demesne?

I ask as currently the conquered city is owned by one of the other families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Sanzuo posted:

Question about Old Gods and arranging marriages.

So when I was playing as a Catholic and I arranged marriages for my courtiers, whomever I arranged for them to marry would join my court. But as a Norse this does not seem to be the case. When I arrange a marriage for one of my courtiers they leave my court. This is especially troublesome for the single members of my council and setting up a foundation of capable courtiers. Does something work differently or what?

The wife joins whatever court the husband was in if it's a normal marriage, or vice versa if matrilineal. No change for norse as far as I know. The only exceptions are when you marry them off to landed people -- and I know for Norse, the vast majority of marriage options are usually to Gydis, who are temple holders and thus landed. Maybe that's what happened?

• Locked thread