Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm on the fence about putting CM or anything else on my S4 because I love the Samsung camera app so much. Nothing compares.

I still wanna play with other ROMs but I probably won't keep any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Valtaherra posted:

Okay so maybe I'm an idiot or something but after a lot of searching and reading, I can't find anything that remotely resembles how to actually install Cyanogenmod on my phone. I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, I already rooted it using CF Auto Root and Odin. I downloaded what I think might be Cyanogenmod but I'm not even sure if it isn't just some developer's package or something. I read the OP, scrolled back a bunch of pages, etc., and can't find anything that doesn't confuse the poo poo out of me or look sketchy. Am I just stupid? I feel like I'm missing something big here

Okay so I downloaded the zip file at the top of the page here: http://get.cm/?device=d2spr&type=RC

but now I have no idea what to do with it. I'm so bad at phones :smith:

edit: I found this on the cyanogenmod website that says it's how to install it on my phone, but the instructions seem to contradict what I've already done, I.E. saying that rooting isn't recommended:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_d2spr

Does this look reliable and/or are there steps I should skip/add because I've already rooted?

If this is anything like the Sprint SGS2 which I've rooted, you can just use Odin to install ClockworkMod Recovery (or try to install it with Rom Manager on the Play Store since you're already rooted). Then you hold Volume Up and Menu and press/release Power and keep holding the other two. It will boot into the Recovery and you tell to install a file from Zip (you put the CM zip on the root of the phone storage or whatever).

Obviously find a guide and read it but that's the jist of it.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

Zero VGS posted:

If this is anything like the Sprint SGS2 which I've rooted, you can just use Odin to install ClockworkMod Recovery (or try to install it with Rom Manager on the Play Store since you're already rooted). Then you hold Volume Up and Menu and press/release Power and keep holding the other two. It will boot into the Recovery and you tell to install a file from Zip (you put the CM zip on the root of the phone storage or whatever).

Obviously find a guide and read it but that's the jist of it.

Yeah, no, that totally worked. All I had to do was download the rom manager, and it asked me in the app to flash ClockworkMod, and then asked what rom I wanted to install. That was so ridiculously simple and no instruction set I could find anywhere said anything about it. Thanks man!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

So it seems that the current best option is just to deal with the ads? Or should I contact the AdAway developer(s)?

I looked into this a bit more, and according to a thread on the AdAway site, it's the data compression in the beta channel of Chrome that's messing things up, since AdAway can't see the hosts for ads in the compressed data. Turned off the option, and no more ads.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?
I've got a GSM Galaxy Nexus. I ditched CM10.1 for AOKP, and am seeing much, much better performance. Is that normal, or was my CM10 install hosed up somehow?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Zero VGS posted:

With Google removing ad block apps from the Play Store and trying to block most from working, what's the best option these days? Should I still use a hosts-based one like AdAway?
I still use AdAway, they're publishing updates to it through F-Droid now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

datajosh posted:

I still use AdAway, they're publishing updates to it through F-Droid now.

Yeah that's what I went with, thanks. I noticed it actually misses a few ads now but it should save me some bandwidth.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The stock gapps Messaging app apparently can't automatically split texts into 140 character chunks, which I have to have because I'm on CDMA (D2USC running CM10.1). Is there an alternate version of the .apk for Messaging that has this feature? I was trying to switch off of GoSMS because its constant updates and nags were getting on my nerves, but I'm stuck with it unless I can find a version of the stock app that can auto-split messages.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The stock gapps Messaging app apparently can't automatically split texts into 140 character chunks, which I have to have because I'm on CDMA (D2USC running CM10.1). Is there an alternate version of the .apk for Messaging that has this feature? I was trying to switch off of GoSMS because its constant updates and nags were getting on my nerves, but I'm stuck with it unless I can find a version of the stock app that can auto-split messages.
SMS messages are 160 characters.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The stock gapps Messaging app apparently can't automatically split texts into 140 character chunks, which I have to have because I'm on CDMA (D2USC running CM10.1).
What's the actual problem you're having with Messaging?

By default CyanogenMod uses multipart (concatenated) SMS to ensure that messages are reconstructed in proper order regardless of the order in which they're received. Generally it works fine on GSM networks but support on CDMA is hit or miss. For example, parts of Sprint's network will hang when devices send concatenated SMSes and they strip away the user data header which specifies the message ordering (rendering them useless over plain-old split SMS). In contrast, Verizon handles them fine.

Anyways, depending on what USC's issue is, what needs to be done is to set the system property "telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart=1". This will force the use of plain-old split SMS at the framework level, so that multipart SMS from Messaging or other clients "just work" (aside from the guarante of being received in proper order).

If you can, give this a try with "adb shell setprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart 1". If it works, it can be added in future CM builds.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's the actual problem you're having with Messaging?

By default CyanogenMod uses multipart (concatenated) SMS to ensure that messages are reconstructed in proper order regardless of the order in which they're received. Generally it works fine on GSM networks but support on CDMA is hit or miss. For example, parts of Sprint's network will hang when devices send concatenated SMSes and they strip away the user data header which specifies the message ordering (rendering them useless over plain-old split SMS). In contrast, Verizon handles them fine.

Anyways, depending on what USC's issue is, what needs to be done is to set the system property "telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart=1". This will force the use of plain-old split SMS at the framework level, so that multipart SMS from Messaging or other clients "just work" (aside from the guarante of being received in proper order).

If you can, give this a try with "adb shell setprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart 1". If it works, it can be added in future CM builds.

The issue I'm having is that any message longer than 160 chars (the single SMS limit) just fails to send. I get the notification telling me to re-try.
I tried the command you posted in Terminal Emulator, and it started running and then said "Device not found". No joy.

Basically, GoSMS's behavior is to actually in the foreground split the message into 160 char chunks and then send them one-at-a-time in sequence. When I type a really long message into Messaging, it shows the number of messages worth of SMSs I've written, but when I hit send it just shows it as one big SMS and then fails.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Hey, I'm having some weird bluetooth issues. I'm using XenonHD on my HTC One, which seems to be based on CyanogenMod, and compared to stock Android it's basically really flaky. My bluetooth disconnects from my car randomly when I load up a podcast in PocketCasts, and also doesn't seem to display currently played audio on my stereo either. Audio quality seems okay, and I'm loathe to go back to stock since 4.2.2 did help my battery life a fair bit. Is there any way to fix the above issues or should I just flash to CyanogenMod directly or something like that?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

The issue I'm having is that any message longer than 160 chars (the single SMS limit) just fails to send. I get the notification telling me to re-try.
I tried the command you posted in Terminal Emulator, and it started running and then said "Device not found". No joy.

What version of CM (10.1 stable?) are you using? It looks like they are working to add PGP to CM - CM messaging and I wonder if that could be stepping in to cause you issues.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Stick100 posted:

What version of CM (10.1 stable?) are you using? It looks like they are working to add PGP to CM - CM messaging and I wonder if that could be stepping in to cause you issues.

Has any of that been merged in the nightlies?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

nimper posted:

Has any of that been merged in the nightlies?
I haven't seen any of it merged yet and it's definitely not in the 10.1 stable release.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stick100 posted:

I'm on RC4. I didn't have any other issues until this so I saw no reason to update.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'm running CM 10.1 Stable on my Nexus 4 currently. The battery life is poo poo. What are some ROMs with good battery life? I'd like to be able to go 24 hours without having to plug in ideally. Thanks in advance.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Do you get that immediately, or after some delay like 30 seconds?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. The "adb shell" part is if you had the device plugged in via USB and were entering the command on a desktop machine or something. You can do it from the terminal emulator too, but what you want to do is:
code:
su
(Select "Allow" when the prompt comes up.)
setprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart 1
And actually, what you really should do is restart the device first, then send a "short" SMS message to ensure SMS is working, then enter that command, then try a "long" message and see if it goes through.

Do note though that the setprop command is ephemeral and resets after a reboot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Do you get that immediately, or after some delay like 30 seconds?

Sorry, I should've been more clear. The "adb shell" part is if you had the device plugged in via USB and were entering the command on a desktop machine or something. You can do it from the terminal emulator too, but what you want to do is:
code:
su
(Select "Allow" when the prompt comes up.)
setprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart 1
And actually, what you really should do is restart the device first, then send a "short" SMS message to ensure SMS is working, then enter that command, then try a "long" message and see if it goes through.

Do note though that the setprop command is ephemeral and resets after a reboot.

It says "sending" for about 10 seconds and then fails.

I followed your directions to test it and then run the command. Short SMS works just fine, but still no joy on the long SMS.

edit: How hard is it to edit the APK for a google app? I know Java and I've been wanting to learn to program for Android anyway, so maybe I can just hack in my own little function to break up the message and send it piece-by-piece.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Short SMS works just fine, but still no joy on the long SMS.
Right, fuzzy memory. The SMS dispatcher checks that property only once on boot, so the change didn't take. What you really need to do is:
code:
su
mount -wo remount /system
echo telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart=1 >> /system/build.prop
mount -ro remount /system
And the property will take after a reboot. After, you can check with:
code:
getprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart
which should return "1".

Try repeating the short and long tests, and see if that works. If it does, it'll hold until you (re)flash CyanogenMod.

edit: How hard is it to edit the APK for a google app? I know Java and I've been wanting to learn to program for Android anyway, so maybe I can just hack in my own little function to break up the message and send it piece-by-piece.
Messaging isn't a google app. The source is available in the CM repository, but even that's not necessary. There's a run-time flag that does what you want. There's also a framework-level fix to do the right thing, I promise!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2341395 - Someone's got the Google Edition HTC One rom with SU/etc up on here. Going to try it out soon and see how it goes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Right, fuzzy memory. The SMS dispatcher checks that property only once on boot, so the change didn't take. What you really need to do is:
code:
su
echo telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart=1 >> /system/build.prop
mount -ro remount /system
And the property will take after a reboot. After, you can check with:
code:
getprop telephony.sms.pseudo_multipart
which should return "1".

Try repeating the short and long tests, and see if that works. If it does, it'll hold until you (re)flash CyanogenMod.

Messaging isn't a google app. The source is available in the CM repository, but even that's not necessary. There's a run-time flag that does what you want. There's also a framework-level fix to do the right thing, I promise!

This step:
gets this response: sh:-wo: not found.

edit: nevermind, SwiftKey is evil.

edit again: SUCCESS. Who do I contact to tell them they should merge this into the D2USC build by default in future versions?

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 27, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

edit again: SUCCESS. Who do I contact to tell them they should merge this into the D2USC build by default in future versions?
It's already fixed for nightlies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's already fixed for nightlies.

Neato.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2341395 - Someone's got the Google Edition HTC One rom with SU/etc up on here. Going to try it out soon and see how it goes.

And it's up and working and seems to be just fine. Ran into no issues putting this on.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm finally getting around to rooting my nexus 4 because I actually have a reason to do so and I'm following this guide. The problem I'm having is that, since I'm on windows 8.1, the drivers in the zip file are not being recognized by windows as compatible; Windows just ain't seeing the drivers. Is there another way to root my device or should I just wait for new drivers?

Also, windows 8.1 powershell (replaces command prompt) is slick as hell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm finally getting around to rooting my nexus 4 because I actually have a reason to do so and I'm following this guide. The problem I'm having is that, since I'm on windows 8.1, the drivers in the zip file are not being recognized by windows as compatible; Windows just ain't seeing the drivers. Is there another way to root my device or should I just wait for new drivers?

Also, windows 8.1 powershell (replaces command prompt) is slick as hell.
Use the universal ADB driver.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I'll try it, thanks!

Uh, maybe a new OP should be created unless someone needs troubleshooting on their brand new HTC Tattoo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'll try it, thanks!

Uh, maybe a new OP should be created unless someone needs troubleshooting on their brand new HTC Tattoo.
It hasn't because rooting depends so much on the device itself that it would be a neverending ordeal to try to keep it relevant. People just do what you did and ask their questions in the thread and we knowledgable people answer fairly quickly.

Seems to be working well so far.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm on the fence about putting CM or anything else on my S4 because I love the Samsung camera app so much. Nothing compares.

I still wanna play with other ROMs but I probably won't keep any.

Same here - I'll be sticking to Sense-based ROM's because Zoe is really good feature that I don't want to lose.

it's been crappy on the rom scene lately anyway - too many different bases coming out.

I'm waiting for the whole thing to settle before committing to a rom again.

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002
Any non-TouchWiz ROM gives me terrible battery life, mobile data and wifi connectivity. Guessing it's lacking some kind of propriety drivers or some such. Also, anything not based on a 3.0.x kernel was a bad experience too with the phone getting warm and wakelocks.

Using the "Intergalactic" (lol) ROM on the AT&T S3 which is good. Gives you all the nice TouchWiz features with some nice backgrounds and other customizations. Just replace the default launcher with Nova and use the Google keyboard for a lag-free experience. Also, the custom kernels aren't awful and if you buy SetCPU and downclock to 1ghz and use Intellidemand/Row as your governor and scheduler settings, the battery life is pretty great. This is also contingent on turning off all location services.

getting a timphone next time

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Alright so I called Samsung, warranty still holds. My touchscreen on my Galaxy Nexus has been spazzing the gently caress out the last few days. It'll react without me touching it and turning the pointer on proves exactly that.

I still have SU on my phone, do I need to delete it? Already did a factory reset but it's still sitting there.

I also have a Canadian version (yajkuux vs stock yakju which I flashed to), so the ROM is different. Do I need to scour XDA and find a yakjuux ROM dump and reflash or is it okay to send it in with a google stock rom (jb4.2.2)?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Out of curiosity, is there a good feature list for CyanogenMod floating around? I've checked the wiki/etc and so far I haven't seen much in the way of a good robust feature list, just partial ones.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

WastedJoker posted:

Same here - I'll be sticking to Sense-based ROM's because Zoe is really good feature that I don't want to lose.

it's been crappy on the rom scene lately anyway - too many different bases coming out.

I'm waiting for the whole thing to settle before committing to a rom again.

I tried the GE ROM yesterday and while boot time was noticeably faster, I didn't notice any major differences in the phone's performance. I considered keeping that ROM for a while but stuff started crashing all over the place and the camera app was just awful so I went back to TW. Honestly, TW is ugly and bloated but it's nothing a launcher and some tweaking won't fix.

I'll give the GE ROM another chance when there's a more stable version out but I don't really see myself switching to it permanently unless it significantly improves my battery life or something like that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sober posted:

Alright so I called Samsung, warranty still holds. My touchscreen on my Galaxy Nexus has been spazzing the gently caress out the last few days. It'll react without me touching it and turning the pointer on proves exactly that.

I still have SU on my phone, do I need to delete it? Already did a factory reset but it's still sitting there.

I also have a Canadian version (yajkuux vs stock yakju which I flashed to), so the ROM is different. Do I need to scour XDA and find a yakjuux ROM dump and reflash or is it okay to send it in with a google stock rom (jb4.2.2)?
Just pull off your backup and flash the Google stock image.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

AgentX posted:

Any non-TouchWiz ROM gives me terrible battery life, mobile data and wifi connectivity. Guessing it's lacking some kind of propriety drivers or some such. Also, anything not based on a 3.0.x kernel was a bad experience too with the phone getting warm and wakelocks.

Using the "Intergalactic" (lol) ROM on the AT&T S3 which is good. Gives you all the nice TouchWiz features with some nice backgrounds and other customizations. Just replace the default launcher with Nova and use the Google keyboard for a lag-free experience. Also, the custom kernels aren't awful and if you buy SetCPU and downclock to 1ghz and use Intellidemand/Row as your governor and scheduler settings, the battery life is pretty great. This is also contingent on turning off all location services.

getting a timphone next time

I doubt downclocking even affects battery life and if anything it'll make it worse, since iirc the way multi-core ARM works is it uses all of one core and goes to the next one. If they're all slower it'll distribute the workload to more cores meaning more power use

Is anyone using MIUI on their nexus 4?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nigga crab pollock posted:

I doubt downclocking even affects battery life and if anything it'll make it worse, since iirc the way multi-core ARM works is it uses all of one core and goes to the next one. If they're all slower it'll distribute the workload to more cores meaning more power use

Yeah, manual downclocking is probably more of a bad idea. There's a reason mobile CPUs now often feature "turbo" modes where if only some cores are in use they'll run faster than the official clock speed up to a certain TDP budget, its a strategy referred to as "race to sleep" where if the CPU pulls 10% more power at max speed but can get the job done 15% faster you can get to sleep sooner and have a net savings of power. The same applies even more when other hardware is waiting on the CPU.

The phone will automatically downclock itself under normal use, that's what the governor is for. Changing governors to fit your usage pattern can often help, but entirely disabling the default high speeds is as a rule not a good idea.

Now if we're talking undervolting along with underclocking, that changes the game a bit, depending on how far one can undervolt.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
My signal indicator is no longer turning blue, only thing I've done recently is update to cm10.1.0 from nightlies. GMail and other google services are working just fine, neither cellular or wifi are indicating a connection to Google services. :confused:

(Nexus 4)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

My signal indicator is no longer turning blue, only thing I've done recently is update to cm10.1.0 from nightlies. GMail and other google services are working just fine, neither cellular or wifi are indicating a connection to Google services. :confused:

(Nexus 4)
Talk works? It's specifically the Talk service that changes the indicators blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I know I took the gamble when I flashed it, but PA on my Note 2 is terrible. Halo is cool and all, but app syncing does not work. For any app. I've already tried the obvious solutions and a few not-so-obvious.

Back to a TouchWiz based ROM I guess. I loved a lot of poo poo that 4.2.2 did too. :smith: