Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Dulkor posted:

Welp. Go down to the hobby shop to pick up my Cryx starter box and forces book. One of the two owners suddenly remembers that there's Cryx stuff in the backroom that's been in the building since they took over from the previous owner a couple years ago. Walk out of the store with my original purchase plus the older pewter starter, gaspy and a reaper. This escalated a little faster than I'd intended.

People will tell you not to bring a heavy jack in most cryx lists.
Always bring your reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Manifest posted:

Haven't even gotten it on the table yet, but between the harpoon and sustained attack I'd already decided it was going to be a list centerpiece. Good to know there's something to that besides my love of big scary robots.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Manifest posted:

Reaper owns bones. In the last game I played I dragged Megalith nice and close so my bane thralls could get a better charge on him.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Yeah I just watched the Wargamer Girl battle report where she got Beast 09 dragged and wasted by a Reaper like that. I guess the way to stop that is to have some disposable models scattered out in front to block the drag?

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

evenworse username posted:

Yeah I just watched the Wargamer Girl battle report where she got Beast 09 dragged and wasted by a Reaper like that. I guess the way to stop that is to have some disposable models scattered out in front to block the drag?

Another trick is to have your own models armlock each other. A model affected by an armlock cannot be pushed or pulled. You have two of your heavies walk up the field in tandem, arm in arm, and eventually get the charge off.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Be careful about the reapers low pow as well. Pow 12 isnt reliable enough to damage (and drag) a lot of higher armor heavies. When in doubt, apply parasite/etc first.

This is why Malice is (sort of) worth 9 points compared to the reapers 7, because his drag is pow 14.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And he has a higher RAT. I love Malice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If he had reach I would have played him a lot more, the reaper's reach was always so money.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Stupid Druid question again - if the Woldshrimp use Concentrated Fire, do they actually all have to shoot at the same model to get the bonus?

e: I mean from the name of the ability it seems like they would, but the wording just says 'an enemy model' not 'the same enemy model'.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

evenworse username posted:

Stupid Druid question again - if the Woldshrimp use Concentrated Fire, do they actually all have to shoot at the same model to get the bonus?

e: I mean from the name of the ability it seems like they would, but the wording just says 'an enemy model' not 'the same enemy model'.

It works exactly how it says it works, that it does not need to be the same model.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I think it's entirely possible with certain casters, Synth specifically. Then again with Axis or Lucant it probably won't be as attractive of a choice. I would recommend holding judgement on jacks until the rest come out, because the Hoverjacks will look different and probably cooler.

I think that in most lists he'll be worse off for not having any heavies, but it's certainly possible.

I'm thinking PA + 1 heavy + colo and a couple lights [including 1 repairbot].

The hoverjacks are all incredibly legit, but the Assimilator is the only one you will see regularly. The Modulator absolutely slaughters infantry with no remorse, but heavies that exclusively do that are pretty unpopular for a bunch of reasons, not least because it's very hard for them to make their points back and the number of infantry that can handle infantry is quite high (not to mention that CoC has a 4/6 pc unit with POW 13 sprays :black101:). The Conservator is gonna work great with Lucant because Deceleration/his feat make its ARM high enough to really be annoying and Hand of Vengeance + positive charge) give it some melee punch, though not having Side Step or Beat Back really hurts. The Assimilator though is super money all the time, between a Weapon Master initial and that stupid gun plus Ground Pounder you're gonna see it in a LOT of lists.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Khisanth Magus posted:

It works exactly how it says it works, that it does not need to be the same model.

Sweet, thanks!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is Lylyth2 with 3 Ravagores and a max unit of Archers & UA a legitimate list? Or is it more gimmicky.

CRA for heavy armor, Scather clouds for infantry

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sab669 posted:

Is Lylyth2 with 3 Ravagores and a max unit of Archers & UA a legitimate list? Or is it more gimmicky.

The archers don't have the range, and they provide a target for enemy shooting. If you want anti-infantry shots, take the striders, the ravagores can shoot heavies off the table just fine if you boost their damage and take all the shots.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Painted some more cygnar mans

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Those are pretty ok I guess. Not painting guru level though. :owned:

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Striders are almost always better choice than Archers. You might consider dropping a Ravagore or the Archers in favor of Warpsears with the chieftan but that is a bit more expensive points wise.
They hit hard though

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Be careful about the reapers low pow as well. Pow 12 isnt reliable enough to damage (and drag) a lot of higher armor heavies. When in doubt, apply parasite/etc first.

This is why Malice is (sort of) worth 9 points compared to the reapers 7, because his drag is pow 14.

PaintVagrant posted:

If he had reach I would have played him a lot more, the reaper's reach was always so money.

This is why I'm always torn between the two. Malice has a higher mat, but the reaper is cheaper and has reach, and with so many debuffs at our disposal the rat ends up being a non-issue (worst case you boost it). But then Malice is more reliably going to hit while you can spend focus on other things. They're both great.

In other news, my friend sold his cryx army today, but the buyer didn't want his bane thralls (or venethrax) so I picked up 20 more bane thralls to add to the 26 I already had, plus my 10 bane knights.

So, tips on running egoreshade? I think I basically have to if I want to use them all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Manifest posted:

So, tips on running egoreshade? I think I basically have to if I want to use them all.

:getin:

System: Warmachine
Faction: epic Goreshade - Heresy of Shadows
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 2
Goreshade the Cursed (*5pts)
* Leviathan (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Bane Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (0pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I used to play a lot of Warmachine when it was released, but I stopped shortly after Hordes came out.

My son has shown some interest in playing Daddy's old wargames (he's 8). I bought him the 40K Dark Vengeance box last Christmas, but it didn't work out. Too much painting, too many units and too many rules. Then I noticed him drooling over some warjacks in the hobby store yesterday. From what I remember, this would be a much better game for a kid, right? You can have a small force even in a higher points game, and the pieces are a lot easier to paint. Less rules to remember as well...no gear. We looked at the site together and he really liked Trollbloods.

Has anything changed that would be useful for a dad to know in the last few years? Especially in regards to getting into the hobby cheap..I don't have any of my old IK stuff anymore. I noticed that they now have plastic kits..what the gently caress? I seem to remember that they used to brag about being full metal. What a reversal.

(edit) Isn't Horde's ruleset a little more hard to grasp than Warmachine's? I seem to remember it being a lot more intensive to manage focus in that game.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 30, 2013

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

The Dregs posted:

(edit) Isn't Horde's ruleset a little more hard to grasp than Warmachine's? I seem to remember it being a lot more intensive to manage focus in that game.

As someone still fairly new to both rulesets, I actually had an easier time with Hordes, though I'm not sure how applicable it would be to a younger kid.

The main difference is that Warmachine's focus mechanic still encourages pre-planning your turn and managing limited resources. Hordes' Fury is more of a risk management game, giving you a bit more leeway with each individual turn and unit, but if you force your beasts to generate more fury than your warlock can handle, you're probably going to ruin something's day (hopefully something you're fighting against already, but not always) and wreck your long term plan for a turn.

Dulkor fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 30, 2013

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The Dregs posted:

Has anything changed that would be useful for a dad to know in the last few years? Especially in regards to getting into the hobby cheap..I don't have any of my old IK stuff anymore. I noticed that they now have plastic kits..what the gently caress? I seem to remember that they used to brag about being full metal. What a reversal.

PP has a history of making a declaration, and then taking it back after a few years. Mind you, I feel this is often a good thing; I'd rather they be willing to embrace change, especially when it improves their product line, than have them stagnate due to a stubborn commitment to an old promise (of course, I'd also rather they not make silly promises to begin with, but I think they've gotten better with that).

That said, the incorporation of plastics into their lines has probably benefited Trollbloods more than any other faction. Medium based infantry are being released as plastic now (and a lot of factions are getting theirs rereleased in plastic as well), which brings the price down substantially. For example, Kriel Warriors and Fennblades both fill similar rolls, that of front-line single-wound infantry. A full unit of Kriel Warriors cost $80 MSRP due to being all metal, while the same number of Fennblades costs only $50 because they're plastic.

The other things I like about plastic, especially in regards to the heavy jack/beast kits, is that that they're a lot easier to transport without fear of damage, and easier to balance on poorly designed terrain pieces.

Edit: As far as Fury goes, while different than Focus, is still pretty intuitive; beasts make Fury when they do extra things, warlock collects it in the Control Phase, if you have more Fury out than you can grab, beasts may attack the nearest model and lose their activation. I think the only trick part about Fury is transferring damage, in which case you just need to remember the following rules:

• You cannot transfer to a beast that is maxed out on Fury (i.e. has a number of Fury equal to its FURY stat).
  • If you transfer more damage to a beast than it has health boxes remaining, the warlock takes the rest.
  • You cannot reave Fury from a beast that dies from a transfer.

Two more Fury related tips: until they get experienced enough with the game to assess when they are safe from assassination, a warlock should always save at least 2 Fury from transfers; and if a warlock can't gather enough Fury from the board to fill up to his FURY stat, they always have the option to fill up by dealing 1 damage to themselves per 1 Fury gained (this is commonly referred to as 'cutting themselves', although whether or not you want to teach that term to your 8 year old kid is up to you).

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 30, 2013

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I find the plastic kits crazy easy to assemble as well. Some parts snap together so tight you could probably get away without glue.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Speaking of, in a discussion about retail issues, someone from PP mentioned that the Boomhowlers would get re-issued soon, I'd imagine as a plastic kit. Good to know, I'll definitely hold back on buying the guys for now!

quote:

The other metal product was Firestorm not being able to get a Boomhowler set. The only way I can see how this happened is due to the fact that the set is being re-issued soon. Whenever this happens, we usually run the inventories down on the particular set.
Source: http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?161102-UK-stock-issue

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Luebbi posted:

Speaking of, in a discussion about retail issues, someone from PP mentioned that the Boomhowlers would get re-issued soon, I'd imagine as a plastic kit. Good to know, I'll definitely hold back on buying the guys for now!

Source: http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?161102-UK-stock-issue

Nope. Just reboxed into a full unit.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/units/greygore-boomhowler-co
They come out tomorrow it seems.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I recently won a Cyriss battlebox in a random drawing, and while I didn't dig the 'jack aesthetics at first, seeing the heavy legged jacks in person has made them kind of grow on me. I still think the light jacks (except for the Diffuser) look kind of silly though.

For those of you that have been able to pick up Cyriss stuff, would 2-3 heavies plus a Diffuser or two work for playing Cyriss with most warcasters, what with Induction allowing for shenanigans?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finished the Cryx Machine Wraith I oathed earlier this month:

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Finished eGrim, now on to his two buddies!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Pyrolocutus posted:

I recently won a Cyriss battlebox in a random drawing, and while I didn't dig the 'jack aesthetics at first, seeing the heavy legged jacks in person has made them kind of grow on me. I still think the light jacks (except for the Diffuser) look kind of silly though.

For those of you that have been able to pick up Cyriss stuff, would 2-3 heavies plus a Diffuser or two work for playing Cyriss with most warcasters, what with Induction allowing for shenanigans?

That may be OK, but you are doing yourself a disservice to ignore the Galvanizer, a 3 point vector with repair and crit grevious wounds.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
In a faction with low model counts due to kickass jack synergy having more repairs is not a bad thing.

Last night Alpha Phoenix and I battled 35 points of his Cyriss vs my Menoth.

I was slowly getting ground down due to a lot of whiffing, not that it would have mattered since with his Galvinizer and Syntherion's field marshal at least 7 points of damage could have been ignored every round.

If he had access to the Optiferix Directive to give out magic weapon the game would have gone much more into his favour.

Play to your style though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I tried out the Lylyth2 & 3 Ravagores + Striders last night against my buddies Doomshapper list. Mulg, Earthborn troll thing, and 2 units of infantry.
Turn one was looking pretty good, he ran up the board and I just hid behind a forest, managed to take out 1/3 of one unit of Infantry between a Ravagore and the Striders. Ravagores 2 & 3 just threw down some Scather since their targets were an inch away and I got lovely deviations :(

Then from there it was just all down hill. The trolls were way too fast, made plenty of tough checks, then he had some hero that could make them stand up...... And then I'd still have to deal with the two heavies :v:

I think I'll drop a Ravagore for a Carnivean, so I have some melee presence and that SP10 :fap:

Coming from Cryx / melee Legion, I definitely need a lot of practice with a gun line styled army, but man was it depressing. As soon as he got into melee there was nothing I could do, and it happened much faster than I expected.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Not really sure how i should be building a list, but this is what I've got for 25 points of Cryx.

30 / 30 (25+5) Warcaster(s) : 1/1 Warjack(s) : 2 Battle Engines : 0 Solos : 1 Units : 2

Warwitch Deneghra - WJ: +5
- Skarlock Thrall
- Reaper - PC: 7
- Deathripper - PC: 4

Warwitch Siren - PC: 2

Bane Thralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
- Bane Thrall Officer & Standard - Bane Thrall Officer & Standard 3
Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
- Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - Satyxis Raider Sea Witch 2

I'm not sure about the Reaper, or about taking 2 min units instead of 1 max plus more solos ( like a Pistol Wraith). Any advice is appreciated.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You said it yourself, I would drop the Reaper for a second Arc Node and a max unit of Banes. It's a cool jack but I feel it just isn't quite worth it.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
What's the general way to use Banes in that situation? It seems like a lot of points that is easy to avoid, unless I keep everything else clustered around them.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

S.J. posted:

:getin:

Tiers: 2
* Leviathan (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

Thanks! I'm going to try that.

It's pretty similar to the first list I made.

Tiers: 3
* Helldiver (3pts)
* Leviathan (9pts)
* Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
The Withershadow Combine (5pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)
3 Scrap Thrall (1pts)

I also want to try it without the Withershadow Combine and swapping the leviathan in for the kraken.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jerry SanDisky posted:

What's the general way to use Banes in that situation? It seems like a lot of points that is easy to avoid, unless I keep everything else clustered around them.

I suppose it depends on the objective but how are they easy avoid? I know they're only speed 5 (Tartarus gives them +2" when charging a designated unit, huge!) but you can still run them turn 1 to get them where they need to be. Stealth and armor 15, even if an AoE deviates onto them it probably won't kill anything. Really the only problem with them is potentially terrain and things that don't care about Stealth.

Satyxis are what, DEF 14 with +2 against Range and don't suffer Blast Damage? At Spd 7 they can also get anywhere they need to be with relative safety.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
That makes sense. I was mostly concerned about about speed 5. There are still a lot of rules to get my head around. Speaking of which, does the extra die from a charge attack stack with the extra die from weapon master?

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Jerry SanDisky posted:

That makes sense. I was mostly concerned about about speed 5. There are still a lot of rules to get my head around. Speaking of which, does the extra die from a charge attack stack with the extra die from weapon master?

Yes. That's why they loving rule. -2 to the armour of there target as well means they make big things dead fast

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jerry SanDisky posted:

Yes! I believe a Charge attack is a boosted damage, where as Weapon Master simply is an additional die to damage. So, yea, on the charge, you're rolling 4d6 P+S 11 & the ARM-2 debuff. A unit of banes can single-handedly kill a colossal. Average roll on 4 dice is a 13 I think? Against say an ARM 18 (assuming base ARM 20) that's about 6 damage per bane. Absolutely disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

14 on four dice, but yeah. That means bane thralls are hitting effectively 27 damage per hit on the charge.

• Locked thread