Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin

"Well met then, Vanai. And it's quite alright, perhaps there is no answer to my inquiries, anyway." Of course, he was not done yet; and he had faith the others were doing well. Or at least that Isit was. Martin does appear content with the reason for the head priestess' absence, problematic as it was. Xavega likely knew a bit more about what actually was going on than this more lower-ranking sort, after all. Still, this little trip was far from a waste as yet.

"As far as out there goes..." Martin ponders this for a moment. "The army seems as though they will have to take quite a detour. That buys time, and the rebuilding is going well as far as the walls go. Whether there will be a treaty, or a battle, is less clear. There'll be a meeting, but it may be too little and too late." He pauses, shifting in his seat slightly. "My friends and I will likely be ranging south and east a bit. Our business and the city's, though the Goddess is likely to have no complaints with our intentions. If you've news about things that way it would be a help, though."

Another pause, then: "Dame Asha and I will be meeting the others for dinner, and we may well be back here afterwards if we fail to find someplace suitable. If it's alright of course, Lady Vanai - you did ask before if we would. I expect that if Xavega's returned by then you will let her know, hm? And relay my questions to her, if you would, in case she might have more firsthand knowledge." After saying so, Martin's thoughts on the next step manage to parallel those of one of his non-present companions. "Though before we go, I should like to pay my respects to the Goddess in the main hall, here. Considering all you and yours have done for us over the past week or so - not to mention the Huntress herself - it seems the polite thing to do. And you would be welcome to join me." Looking to Asha, he adds, "You as well. Though I'd understand if you would prefer not to."

Worship disguised as good manners. It would have to do, for he could risk being any more open on the matter. Of course his prayer - like the one his distant comrades planned to offer to another Goddess - would likely contain a question. And in this place, he had faith that he would have an answer to work with, whether or not it was one he would like.

Let's see if we can leverage this 40 point shenanigans and all, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She shrugs. "News is news. He's as good a hire as any. I'll have to bring in a few relatives on contract negotiation perhaps. Well, at any rate, let's meet up with those trying to build a temple. See what happens there. I may just have an idea."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

The dwarf raises an eyebrow. "Care to let me in on it?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Must I? I don't really want to look foolish if it doesn't work."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
There's a tiny static charge in the air as Lette places the artifact on the altar... at least as far as Lette goes. Lo'el feels it as a sudden rush of vertigo, setting the faun's head to spinning and drawing a nauseous feeling from a full stomach. The words are said, the message delivered; but for a long few seconds, there's no direct response in the abandoned temple. A large raven, then, flaps down seemingly out of nowhere and lands on Lo'el's shoulder. The talons burn like searing ice; the raven opens its mouth and shrieks three times, a high piercing call, before flapping over to land on Lette's shoulder- without burning her. It cocks its head and stares at Lette's eyes, softly cawing before flapping away and landing on the altar. It pecks, gently, at the pendant, before turning to look back at Lette.

Not yet. But thank you. A young woman's voice sounds in Lette's head alone, full of sadness.

And then the raven flies away.

As the sun starts to descend towards the horizon, Dolan and Isit leave the marketplace without further incident- the hollow eyes of refugees slightly familiar from memories in a prophecy as harbingers of what could be ahead. Sharp-eyed Isit spots a lone raven flying high into the air as they approach the temple row, but it doesn't seem to have changed the faint smell of stale smoke in the air.

Vanai absorbs the news with a worried grimace. "You're welcome here, yes- I can't imagine Xavega would disagree, though she'll be back soon. The south road's still not safe. Mercenaries and bandits scattered around once you get more than a few miles away, and the boundary between the two isn't very clear. None of our people have come up that road since Xavega came through." At the suggestion of a prayer, the young priestess smiles. "I've already done my afternoon prayers, but I'd be glad to join you." They file out, and at the main altar Martin has plenty of space to himself. And as soon as he begins, he can feel the warmth flow into his mind like a thick fur blanket. Yes. Caria's voice sounds clearly. I had worried that you'd run into something dire- for much time I couldn't find you. Martin goes through an abbreviated update on events at the speed of thought, before asking his question and getting the response both feared and expected. I have not been able to talk to Lord Roland. But... the city, it is- difficult to pierce, sometimes. There are many wards from many people. If he could be persuaded to come to the temple, or even just leave the city walls, I would be much more certain. It could be that he is simply still too weak... or it could be that it isn't him, anymore. As you fear. A pause, and then, This summit you have planned. I agree with it. Bring all together, and the rightful ruler will be clear. Be safe, Baron. You mean to take a dangerous path whichever way you go, whatever my scaled cousin might say about one road.

Everyone is free to meet up!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 29, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He sits and waits as Lette appears to begin her prayer to the Goddess. Given his condition it makes more sense to simply allow Lette to try and make contact rather then take the risk of what may happen if he also attempts it. It was safe with Dinym in her temple, but how can I be so sure here? Best to wait and see first.

The sudden rush that comes as she places the items on the alter almost makes him lose his usually keen sense of balance. He simple staggers and raises a hand to his stomach as it threatens to empty itself right here and now. Gathering himself somewhat after a moment, he turns to Lette. "Urrgk... I do not...feel quite right. Perhaps it is best if I step away." Before he can do just that, the rather large raven descends on to his shoulder, stopping him in place as it's talons send streaks of searing, yet ice cold, pain through him.
Words try to form but come out as a garbled sound instead, a sound that almost registers as loud as the bird's shrieking.

God's blessings, the bird hops over to Lette soon enough, obviously preferring the touch of one not so tainted as he is. The hand at his stomach goes to his shoulder instead now as he tries to gather himself once more. Gasping heavily for a moment or more, he then turns to Lette after the bird flies away. "Any luck?"

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 29, 2013

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

It had seemed like ages since he'd heard Her directly. In truth, it had only been a week - yet so much had happened since then, and so much he had hoped to hear something before now. But Martin's faith, though the exact mechanics of which he was still getting used to, had not wavered, and he had prayed daily. And even if he had not heard back from the Huntress, he had felt; even if it was only a shade of what the Baron felt now in this place, the warmth had been there.

The news...well, the news was expected, somehow. About Roland, firstly. And that also Caria had been unable to reach Martin as well, somehow - such he had wondered, given the lack of any response. Surely all be resolved in time, and much of what was already in the works would surely help. For certain values of help, anyway. "Thank you, Your Grace," Martin whispers, before standing. "I have my answer, oddly enough," he announces, though not too loud, and without any further clarification. To Vanai, he also offers his thanks, and adds, "Be well." Then he turns his attention to Dame Asha. "Let us meet with the others. We may well have work to do."

With that, there is only to find the others. That takes little time, fortunately, with Isit and Dolan already approaching the Row, and with Lette and Lo'el presumably still where they were before, and presumably they would join when their business was done. He waves to the former two with a smile and a spring in his step - even as potentially catastrophic as the news had been, he was in an excellent mood. Martin walks up at a brisk pace, drops his voice, then speaks. "Good news, I hope, dear? For my part, it certainly was not a waste of time, but I'll not say more until later."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"...'Not yet,' she said, though very politely. So no, no luck. And I guess this means she's got designs on these matters, too. Her, of all gods." She sighs.

Some days, she wonders if the right call isn't to just burn the whole thing down. Such a thought niggles here, as unpalatable as (surely the human) part of her finds it.

"I guess we'll just leave the tent. Whatever. Maybe it'll be useful to someone.

"Anything else you'd like to do before we reconvene? Oh! Maybe a manicure? And you could get your nails colored! Um, I think maybe magenta? Orange at the ring finger as an accent nail, that would go well with what you're wearing..."

Also gonna stop off to see if there is an instrument merchant or suchlike selling strings.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"...'Not yet'?" he repeats with a shake of his head before he continues on in a more sarcastic tone. "Well if that is not just useful to everyone. More plots, ploys and information keeping from those around us who may actually be able to greatly help us. Hopefully the others had more luck." And with his and Lette's task done here, it is high time they move on meet with them. Not before getting out of his embarrassing outfit, of course. He can just imagine Isit's laughter at his current state and what would Asha think to see her squire like this? No, best to change as quickly as possible.

"Mani-what? Coloured? I..uhh...really do think you enjoy this more than I. Besides, orange and magenta were never really my colours." he grins and looks to the tent they intend to leave. "Perhaps best to leave it for whoever may seek to rebuild this place. If it is not stolen like so much else here has been. It would be nice to use it on the road, but Isit may say it will attract too much attention due to it's size. Ah well."

Heading away from the temple now, he lowers his head again to better hide the parts of his face that are not already hidden behind his hair and hat. After suffering through the crowds for a reasonable distance, he taps Lette quickly on the arm and ducks into a nearby alley. "Would you keep an eye out for...well, anyone? I think we are far enough away that this no longer seems necessary and I cannot stand to be in this much longer, even if you may disagree." With a quick smile, he then then hides behind some convenient boxes and strips away the hat and dress before hurriedly stuffing them into his pack. A thought is given to just throwing it away and ridding himself of the shame, but he sadly decides that a day may yet come when such a disguise is needed again. Blessed Moon, tell me I am wrong.

Once done, he steps out again in his full faun-ish display and stretches his legs, raising him a few more inches, and shakes out his long tail now that it is free to do so. "Gods, that is better. Those things are so...restricting. Perhaps we should wait a while then we can rejoin the crowd. Was there anything you wanted before we find the others? You did mention strings for your lyre. If we hurry about it, then I am sure the others will not mind waiting too long, if they are not still going about their own tasks that is."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Business concluded, all take their leave of those they're with, heading back out to meet for dinner. Along the way, though cosmetics are seemingly in short enough supply to be ruinously expensive the demand for instrument strings is rather less and Lette's able to pick up some for relatively cheap- though without time to restring it there. Instead, everyone manages to find each other reasonably near the temple district, heading off to find a place to eat. That too is a little difficult in the current state of the city, and by the time they pile into a crowded inn it doesn't come as much surprise when the food isn't... of the best of quality. Still, they have a table to themselves, and there's no pushy server to interrupt them without asking for more ale. They could always try to find better food when they left the city and could hunt and gather, and past that there were always trail rations.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

After the day's tasks are done, he is more than happy enough to be with the others again and truly be on their way to finding this promised meal. Although, the crowded inn may not be as glorious a venue as he had perhaps expected, it will do just fine for a faun such as himself. Quantity can substitute for quality here as far as food goes, and he wastes no time in placing orders for everyone as well as rounds of drinks. He still finds himself with plenty of coin left in his possession, and from what he has been learning about currency, it seems to be plenty for the price of this evening's dinner with enough being left over for more meals to come. As he sits, he places his pack by his hooves and his cheeks flush as he quickly pushes in the bonnet that is beginning to peak out.

"This inn may not be much, nor the food up to the highest standard for some, but I am not one to complain, especially given the state this city is currently in." He shifts around in his seat, glancing at the people that also fill the inn around them. He lowers his voice. "I am sure it is unwise to speak so freely here, but so you know; we had little luck on our end. All we got was..." He looks to Lette, pausing to choose his words carefully here. "'Not yet'. So not very useful at all sadly. Hopefully you all had better outcomes, but we can of course discuss this in more detail later, yes?"

When the food does arrive, his rumbling stomach easily allows him to overlook whatever comments he may have about the quality of what is presented. "Well," he begins, raising a glass after eagerly filling his plate. "Here is to a well earned meal and drink amongst good friends." And then, without much pause, he barely sips his drink before diving practically face first into his full plate.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shrugs, and chews some almost-stale bread. "Well we got a lead on a few hires. A couple days ride south of here, and we may be set. Old, professional, and ugly. So today wasn't an entire wash."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"You are correct on two counts, Lo'el. We should eat and drink, and not worry about discussing anything in much detail." Martin takes a long drink of ale, glancing at his own plate a little skeptically. At Isit's news, he looks up and smiles. "That's excellent, dear, good work."

Pausing, Martin takes a bite of something that was at least probably chicken. "We are formally welcome to stay where we once did, if we wish," he says after a moment, still not entirely sure exactly what it was he was eating judging by his face. "And...it isn't quite conclusive, but I did have enough luck that we've all something to think about tomorrow. A few curious bits of information. But that can wait."

"So that leaves the question of whether we have other worries tonight, or if we simply enjoy as much of the evening as we can and go with what we have tomorrow." Martin stops for just a moment, grins, and winks at his wife. "If we're voting, I do say I would like to actually take advantage of being back in civilization for a change, since the Gods know it doesn't seem any of our lives are going to be less busy any time soon."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette shakes her head at Lo'el. "It's a gods-damned mess," she mutters, poking another string through its corresponding peg. She has no desire to draw attention to herself with the messy business of actually tuning the thing, but for now, they can at least hang limply in their respective positions. "Everyone's got some plot. Everyone. Can't believe I wasn't thinking of it in these terms before. Hey, remember when we were naive enough to think there were only three or four parties gearing up to try something? But no, when this all goes down, everyone will pull something. Even her.

"If we're still serious about seeing the situation through, first order of business should be fortifying ourselves," she concludes, scowling, then disappears back into her instrument. Her food sits untouched.

...And the one spot of light in all this seems to be something Lo'el is not willing to mention. Go figure.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Still isn't too late for us to get out of here. We don't need to go down with the ship. Just saying."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"There's still time," replies Martin calmly. "Time enough to see what we can do about the situation before we need to decide that question, Isit. If we do leave - and I am not saying we should, because we may well be able to ride the storm out - I should like to do as much as possible around here before that happens."

Scratching his chin, Martin continues a bit more slowly. "Fortunately we do have options if it comes to that - like my home, for instance. With that said..." He looks to Lette. "In either case, stay or go, you're right with respect to fortifying, as you say. Even if we leave, we'll not be safe from the storm forever; which is the best argument for trying to resolve things here that I can think of."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 30, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun finishes a mouthful as he nods along with Martin. "Yes. I also like to think there is still enough time before the point of no return. Perhaps enough time to see if we can make a positive change around here. Possibly wishful thinking, I know, but this lead to the south may be the start of just that. Honestly I would like to see all this through as much as we can before seriously considering any other plans. After all we have been through, it cannot be to simply abandon all we have fought for. Even if we leave, I would want it to somehow be helping the situation here in some way."

He pauses in his eating, staring at the plate in front of him for a moment. "Besides, some troubles will still be around no matter where we go. I should know, yes?" And until his own situation gets much worse than he can currently imagine, he plans to help with other matters as much as he can. "When trouble comes to you, is it not better to face it as best you can in order to try and free yourself of it? If running does not make things better for yourself or those you care for, then I think it only really makes things worse in the end." His own glimpse of a possible future had taught him as much.

He shrugs, a slight grin on his face. "I do not know, really. Just speaking my mind again. It is all so damned complicated." A nod is given to Martin again. "If it does come to it though, you know I am with you on the journey to your home. If my personal troubles are not too much of a burden by then, of course."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Asha

Solemn and silent, as ever it were; her glass gets a distracted swish as she watches its contents swirl, jaw set and heart heavy with a great many burdensome musings. "I am not so certain now, where ought we go." She shares in a quiet, candid tone; her gaze flits up to Martin and the others before her head cranes towards Lo'el--a slim, wan smile offered to the faun. "Would but that we could have a proper span of time; there is a great deal I should like to share with you yet, were it not for..." She shakes her head, sweeping her glass in a loose gesture. "Well." A brief, fleeting smirk before she takes a deep sip of her drink. "We'll need to move decisively come morning, in any event." The knight sighs, lips drawn thin. "But for the eve, why not see to one more bout of rabble-rousing, eh?" Offering a sly grin she scarcely feels, Asha settles back somewhat; if nothing else, portentous enough was that she had nearly exhausted her supply of applies.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

Martin listens intently as Lo'el speaks, though he takes the time to demolish most of the almost-chicken he was eating at the same time. With a smile, he replies, "I do hope someday you'll see my homeland, whenever it is we chance to go there - once it's in better hands, anyway. I think you'd much like it, Lo'el, and as I've always said, there's a place for everyone there. And I do hope we can find some way to help with your troubles, too. But let's not think about such things tonight." He nods to Asha, smile widening, and he raises his glass. "As the good Dame suggests, let's all focus on happier things now."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Finishing the last of his serving -the first serving, of course-, he turns then to Asha, smiling at the centaur as he chugs down more drink. "If only we were lucky enough to meet in times of relative peace. Although, I imagine the best training for a squire is in times such as these. Perhaps it will shape me into one of the best, no?" He chuckles to himself, perhaps doubting those words. "We shall see. Besides, after we make it through this rather large mess of events alive -which I am more than certain we will, by the way- there will be plenty of time to share what you want to, my lady knight. It goes without saying that I will be honoured to hear what you would tell me. I look forward to it." Gods, but he is lucky to have been taken under the tutorship of a knight such as her. Even now he finds it hard to look her way without beaming with pride and respect.

He holds his drink up to Martin after a few more refills, nodding vigorously at the noble. "I shall see it some day, that is a promise. And if a place is blessedly kept for me there, then I will humbly accept. Not everything shall be as it was in that blasted vision." At the mention of turning to happier things, the faun wastes no time in getting his flute into his hand. "Well then, allow me to help turn things to a better mood in the way I know best." He looks to Lette with a flash of a smile. One might be surprised at his sudden cheerfulness, but this particular faun is pretty talented at making himself cheery when he tries. "Do feel free to give those new strings a try as well, Lette. Let us see if I cannot get this place dancing."

Clearing his throat, he stands on his chair and looks around at the others crowding the inn. "Ladies and gentlemen, I am Lo'el Vo'Rintel. And if you would allow me, I would like to fill this wondrous establishment with the merry sound of my people. Let us dance and sing away our troubles for tonight if we can." Wasting less time, he winks to his companions and brings the flute to his mouth. And a song is played. If he can make himself and those around him forget all this madness for even a moment, then he will consider this a success.

Will spend CP if needed from my saved 6 points to guarantee this place does in fact start dancing and to turn any frowns upside down.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I don't know. Isit's idea is sounding better and better every day. Is that so bad? And I didn't mean fortifying any place in the waking world, for what it's worth. We can put space between ourselves and this place, but that part we take with us, there's a war to be waged there as well," she says. Not satisfied to leave it untuned, she asks Lo'el: "Can you play me an A?" Once her string matches the tone, she nods, satisfied. "Thanks." The rest will soon be up to snuff.

Her lousy mood is interrupted by an invitation from Lo'el to play. His smile, such an uplifting thing. And his song hearkened back to when first they'd met.

She doesn't join in, at first. As he plays, her eyes seem to lock on some point a few inches past Lo'el's face. Slowly, an absent-minded smile blooms as the world drips away, and in time, there is only a song.

-discontinuity-

Her lyre is tuned. Had she been doing it without even noticing?

She blinks. Lo'el is playing a different song, now. Just a momentary escape, was all.

Rising, she joins the faun, harmonizing as they had done before. There would be time enough for 'fortification' after some respite. Indeed, that's the sum of it: this is a time for rest and healing.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

It's a crowded inn, full of people who've lost, who've seen death and destruction and who know down in their uneasy hearts that there's worse coming. The mood is somber; the conversations, hushed. There's nothing to do but to try to change it or to let the despair fester. Lo'el decides to change it. When he gets up, the stares the faun gets are sullen, suspicious, almost accusing. All he can do is play. Sprightly, cheerful music soaks the room. Perhaps there's aid from a certain goddess of artists, of whom one dear is present. But then again, perhaps not. It may just be the music- it may just be enough. The change comes slowly, as though rain were woaking into bone-dry cracked dirt, but it does come. Frowns change to smiles- dull, hollow stares regain just a bit of their twinkle. It's magic, but not the arcane sort. And in the morning, much of it will be gone, the burdens too real to avoid. Only one night changes, but that too may just be enough. Dancing starts, and spreads with all the speed of rumor through the crowded inn. The tender doesn't know why, but he too is selling more ale than he thought, and hearts music can't touch the jingle of extra coin may lighten. When Lette's instrument joins in, there's no touch of magic needed to liven the music. The duet's enough.

Such can't last forever, of course, because good things never do. Eventually, music trails off, and dancing thins, and evening turns to night and then deeper night in turn. Muscles flag, voices rasp, and ale tells on the head. The crowd starts to drift away, the one night of happiness already slipping into memory like fairy gold (admittedly without some of the side effects). It must be said that the two musicians are the last to leave, and if after the music one dares to leave with the other, none remain to comment. Rooms had been paid for, and though there are rooms elsewhere for the taking, the inn is here and not as extortionate as it could be, considering. After a few hours of fun, a return to the grind and trauma awaiting any night with the priests in temple row is hardly sought. One by one, at varying times, they all in their rooms drift off to sleep in scratchy sheets that smell of sweat and alcohol, too tired not to- eventually, perhaps.

Of course, even without seeking it, sometimes the duty seeks on its own.

---

Silk sheets, same as some prior dream; still infernally soft and comfortable, still muffling the faun's body in soft, white comfort (though this time, it must be admitted, Lo'el can feel the ghost of threads underneath him as support akin to a hammock. The comfort has less power this time, of course. Now he understands from whom the silk came. On opening his eyes, the same bedroom of Spider's greets him once more. Still opulent. Still warm. Still bare. For a mercy, this time Spider's not in the bed as well, leaving the comfort to him alone- rather, though, the ebon-skinned woman stands at the foot of Lo'els bed, watching him rouse in her domain. "Well met, little faun," she says with a twinkle in her blue eyes. "That was a lovely song you played." A pause. "And a lovely dream, too, wasn't it? A lovely gift from the snake who sees?"She holds up one long-fingered hand, as if to forestall objections. "You have few secrets left from me, little one. I rode along to see it all. And such a fascinating future it was, don't you think? What with me being... physical, once more. Alive." On the last four words, the Spider's voice changes to a sad, almost... hopeful croon. "Shall we discuss how to make at least my small part of it a reality, little faun?"

---

Blackness, and then a deeper black after that. Lette knows what lays between dreams, and for a panicky instant she can feel something similar to that. The fear soon passes; the darkness wraps around her, feathery and soft, warm and personal instead of the almost mechanical hate that radiated from every inch of the chaos between dreams. I have you, Vuoksi's voice whispers in her ear. You are well hidden. Come. Now it is the time. There's a gentle insistent pull, in some imaginary direction through the deep dark, and the instant Lette relaxes it pulls her (in-out) and her eyes abruptly register light. There's a river- a huge river, one perhaps a half mile from shore to shore from where she stands. A wooden pier, rickety and aged by countless days in the bright sun directly overhead. Despite the light, it's not so hot, at least not to the salamander. Nothing sails on the river. On the far shore, rocky cliffs and mountains beyond them; behind on the near, forest so thick as to be impenetrable. Sitting at the end of the pier, her legs dangling feet over the river, Vuoksi half-turns. "Thank you. Please, come sit. The fish won't be biting this time of day, but I don't mind. It allows me to pretend I'm off duty." She smiles, but with one that doesn't touch her sad eyes; were it not for those eyes or the enormous, glossy raven's wings sprouting from between her shoulder blades, she might look all the world like a young carefree woman trying to catch supper.

---

No such calm courtesies for Martin; as soon as consciousness finally flees, a powerful yank drags him almost bodily to a familiar hall. No entryway this time, merely the throne room of Caria- the goddess paces in front of her throne, emotion seemingly showing as a disorienting lack of clarity to her features; she seems to almost waver, one eye seeing a human eye on the goddess while another sees a golden wolf's gaze. Caria looks up, smoothing her robes. "Good. I do have enough of a hold on you to be able to bring you here, even in the middle of the city. If it's important enough. This probably qualifies." Giving Martin a thin smile, she adds, "Thank you for the report. It was very helpful. Let me- if you don't mind, I'd like to try to summon some of your comrades. I have no hold on them, but they're... close to you, and that could give us the leverage to bring them here instead of somewhere else." She purses her lips. "Others are stalking some of them. I'm not entirely sure who, but... the protection seems as though it might be thinning. Noah-" she snarls, with human and wolf features. "How am I supposed to properly plan these things when others in the city have the discourtesy of making their own plans without letting me know? This city is a madhouse." She laughs, a short sharp bark, before focusing on Martin. "Important matters to discuss. Will you help me bring the others through? Lord Roland concerns them all, I fear."

---

For now, at least, the others seem to be able to pass into unconscious slumber reasonably uninterrupted... well, not... quite. Dolan can feel a presence around him even as he slips deeper into oblivion, and has the distinct sense of being Protected. Lette, the song is always there, behind her mind, and she feels a bit crowded inside her own head. But now, at least, she doesn't feel her hackles raise at the presence of the other. More like it's merely a- companion. Isit can taste blood, and feel fine silk on her body, interfering with a dream that shouldn't by any rights include either of those two features- and Asha hears the howl of a wolf, in a place in her dreams where no wolves can walk.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

For all the turmoil and strife and disappointments and revelations since leaving Noah the morning after his wedding, Martin couldn't help but be at ease. The drink ran plentiful enough, the music rushed through his head, and there was a nice bed waiting at the end of the night, one that he didn't have to be alone in. Tonight, even with what lay on the horizon, things were looking up. And tonight, free of the temples and the outdoors, his dreams might actually for once be his own again, wrested back from the madness for once.

So it's to his great surprise that he finds himself in Caria's hall once again - though he is not particularly disappointed, per se, to end up here, to be in the presence of the Huntress. And to be needed, it seemed - clearly Caria had not fared well the last week, perhaps due to the situation around Noah, and perhaps also due to Roland's conspicuous absence. It gave the Baron just a hint of pause, though not fear.

"Your Grace." Offering his customary bow - though much quicker than usual - he nods in understanding. "I think I might be able to, yes. I remember your lessons. And Lette's, for that matter. And if anyone's stalking them for ill, I'll not let any of them be taken." The other revelation - that the area around Noah was changing - was quite a worrisome turn, and though he had little time to consider it, Martin did quite reckon that it might mean Roland was even more likely to have been replaced or changed than he first thought.

But he pushes that out of his mind. Martin steps forward, kneels, and focuses his mind on his friends, one at a time. He certainly was not going to falter here, if they were in danger, and if this was the only thing for it, then this is what he would do. This was as much his dream as anyone's. In his dreams, his friends would be there. In his dreams, Isit in particular would always be there. And if she was in danger-

It wasn't a choice. He knew who among his companions would be the first to be drawn here. The others would follow, but until his task is done, they hardly even enter his mind; not for lack of caring, but simply out of...well, love. And so, the Baron de Mignolet-D'Avre focuses all his will on the other member of that House, to bring her through the void.

Dreaming 12, Will 12, Single-Minded for +3 I hope. Repeat as necessary. If Single-Minded doesn't apply I might just burn a point so as to avoid accidentally stranding anyone.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"Good," Caria says briskly. "Trying to break through protection such as this from one angle is like trying to pull a door closed while only touching the hinges- doable with enough brute strength, but difficult and wasteful. Add more angles, more minds with different connections-" She trails off as Martin gets to work. Isit presents her own difficulties- despite how close she was in a physical and mental sense, trying to pick out the elf was... difficult. Still, after a seemingly eternal few seconds of pulling, Isit *falls* onto her feet beside the kneeling Martin, clad in the silks she'd felt even in an inappropriate dream. Continuing to rove, Martin finds Asha easier yet; she seems to be half-here already, and it's merely the work of a second to pull the centaur the rest of the day to stand uneasily beside him as one dream is interrupted by another in a sharp discontinuity. When he reaches out for Dolan, he finds something fighting him- something attacking his probing thoughts viciously, almost akin to an unfamiliar housecat being reached for. Of Lette and Lo'el, he can find no sign with questing mental searches. The only thing Dolan feels is a sort of conflict at half remove, before Iklist's voice breaks in to his mind. They'll be back. She's chasing you- we have to hide deeper.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

She had been having a lovely dream about getting a gleaming set of chainmail, but was rudely distracted by the feel of silk. Grimacing, she bats away the sensation. It wouldn't do to be interrupted. She raises her hand to dismiss the situation one more, but stumbles, and finds herself next to Martin wearing a very impractical dress. Brows knitting, she stares at him, "Is the dress your doing? For gently caress's sake, couldn't you dream up some magic armour...." She trails off, knitting her brows, and staring at Caria. "What....what's all this then? Martin?"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

The music reverberates in her head, pushing out negative thoughts, leaving only a kind of sonic illumination — a beatific glow, a sense of renewed joy. But all of this rests atop a sense of finitude; that tomorrow, all things would come to pass. Perhaps this would be lost. And some risk more than others, with the faun being among those most pressed.

She loves him. To some extent, she knows not the precise nature of her love. But now, in the quiet of the night, Lette retires with Lo'el.

After all that's been said and done, it matters not how they share this night; only that they do.

---

And after the darkness, a different light:

Lette pauses, taking in the new environment. All sights impress, until she looks down and finds her old clothing — surely a mental habit, after so long. She concentrates until her outfit is more up to date, matching her new duds.

Sitting down beside the goddess, she goggles once more at the river. "Is this... the river? From the stories? Also, what am I hidden from?

"It's nice to see you after all," she adds. "Before, I thought you meant something else. I don't know, like... we should just mind our own business or something. But it's hard for me to believe that you could in any way approve of what happened to your temple — let alone what's about to happen."

Silence reigns for a moment. "So you're not really off duty, huh? What's... um, if you don't mind my asking, what's the biggest 'break' you've ever... gotten?" But as soon as she speaks, she knows that this meeting is surely too important to waste on such trivialities.

"I suppose you already have a sense of my question about Lord Roland from when I prayed. And I suppose I have a similar one about my friend Lo'el, whom you also met today. Not that his case is the same, even if they came by them the same way..."

A longer silence passes. Finally, she concludes: "I offered before, and so it still stands: Is there anything you need of me?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

He beams at the sight of Isit - the difficulty in finding her had worried him more than a little. Martin maintains that smile when Asha arrives as well. Two down. Perhaps those two being first was no surprise, if the prophecy had been even remotely accurate.

But then the others do not arrive. Martin's relief at Isit and Asha being safe is tempered by the fact he can barely find any trace of anyone else - or worse, finding some sense of resistance. Still - at the minimum, his wife being safe helped keep the other worries at bay.

"Dear, I was just worried about getting you here in one piece where it's safe, I didn't have time to worry about dresses. You wear it quite well though. As you do most things, or less things." Even with the doubt and worry, some things didn't change, and neither did the smirk that appeared. "Evidently Noah's not nearly as hard to find from the dream-world as it was before, and the others are being stalked. I tried to bring everyone. I almost couldn't find you, my lady; I might have been just in time." He looks to Asha. "You were at least easier, Dame Asha. Perhaps whatever spirit sought you was farther away from you. I can't get a trace of the others."

"In any case. Her Grace has news for us, I think. Though we should see if all of us combined can perhaps find some trace of the others, also." He swallows heavily, smirk gone. "We can only hope that...thing doesn't have Lo'el, or the others along with him."

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 1, 2013

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Clicking her tongue at his terrible joke, Isit gathers up her skirts. "Of course it's easier now. Roland let my relatives in. Forget to board up one hole in a cottage, and all manner of things will find their way in." Frowning, she fidgets in her dress. "If the spider finds Lo'el....well she hasn't eaten him yet, yes? I'm sure he is fine. And Dolan is always talking about magic. I'm sure he's fine. Lette doesn't even bear mentioning since she is frighteningly competent."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Vuoksi looks back to her fishing- and she even has a pole, though it's a rough branch with some string tied to it. It doesn't seem like she's really putting much effort in. "It is a river. Whether it is the river-" The goddess of death shrugs. "All rivers run into each other, if you take a broad enough view of things." She pauses, peering intently at the surface of the water- "Hidden from anyone on this side of the world who wants to see you. Your friends as well, mostly. Some have already made sufficient connections that they're never really safe." She speaks with a kind of detached, academic sadness about her, mostly seeming just... worn down. "The longest break I've ever gotten was between the first and second mortal deaths. It was about... oh, 2 minutes." She sighs. "Even when I'm here, I'm also working- I don't have the privilege of only being in one place. Haven't since that second death. Anyway. More immediately, you want to know about your friend and your mayor, yes?" She twitches her rod around, in a somewhat desultory manner. "All I know is that I haven't claimed them. Not much help, really, but... the Eagles, they have developed a way to kill without killing. Terrible mess. It seems to be a spell that expels an afflicted soul directly into the void, to be... absorbed into it. Completely erased. I would very much like to see knowledge of that spell erased." The goddess of death scowls, a little heat coming into her voice. "The fools meddle with balances they can't comprehend, and would bring down worse than they fear on everyone if they persist. Some may, if they're hit by that weapon, be... rescued, by spirits or gods with close connections to either the void, the person, or the spell itself. I know Spider is one of them, from your friend Lo'el." She shakes her head. "That one's fangs are deeply buried in him. I did not wish to talk today for fear that she would overhear. She considers me an enemy, I think, but-" Vuoksi shrugs, and says with casual certainty, "All things die. She will too, in time. I have few enemies that cannot be pacified by that knowledge. As for your Mayor... if he was ever hit by this weapon, I know not who saved him from the void."

---

Caria actually smiles at Isit. "My doing, I fear. This is a courtly shell to my domain- those who enter it appear in appropriate wear for a formal occasion. Were I to meet you in my guise as a wolf in a forest at night-" the edges of her mouth quirk up, very quickly. "Hopefully you would be garbed as fellow hunters, and not deer, but a palace is safer all around." She looks around. "The others- not coming? drat. Well." She folds her arms, having finally stopped pacing, though her face is still slightly lined. "The protections around Noah are beginning to deteriorate. Why? I don't know for certain. Probably some clever mage or spirit is undermining them, to what end- I have not heard. Which is itself concerning, as you may well imagine for one with my, let's say, portfolio." At Isit's admission of fae interference, Caria visibly winces. "Fae. Of course, it could be something as simple as that, too. When you're used to seeing and hearing plots everywhere, when something important begins to happen without an obvious plot you tend to assume first that something has gone truly wrong rather than default to any more innocent explanation. No way to be certain either way, unfortunately, unless you'd be willing to expel the fae for a week and see if the barriers strengthen... no, I rather didn't think so. Now. I can very faintly feel Lord Roland's spirit. He is here- Noah, I mean- and he is himself, as best I can smell. What I cannot tell is whether or not he's been..." the goddess pauses. "Compromised. As your friend has. My condolences. Have you learned anything concrete about the man? Time grows short- you have limited time before the Queen's army gets here, and compromised or not this peace summit must go through. War of all against all- that doesn't suit me, not at all, and it shouldn't suit you either."

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 1, 2013

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"I would prefer being a wolf to being a fashion plate, but your hunt, your rules as they say." Caria's wince makes the elf smile inwardly for some unfathomable reason. Even gods were afraid of plots. As were they all. "I know, it's painful. No idea how to make heads or tails of all the factions. Frankly it's quite trying. No idea if Roland is in his right mind or not, he never really took us into his confidences after that arson incident. And he might be fine, we just have to plan for if he isn't." She glances at the others. "Is that the shape of it?”

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

So he's not with her. Someone... saved him? There are options, it seems, that have not even been considered — if even recognized.

"I've been to the void," she says flatly. "Fully disconnected. Escaped once, with help. Wouldn't chance that I could a second time. Erasing that knowledge is high on my own list of projects." The Eagles were due to pay her a visit, it seems.

...But wait a minute...

"The people involved in the attacks — the ones using those weapons, I mean — we laid a few of them to rest," she says, mildly. Why in the world does she feel the need to use euphemisms with Vuoksi of all people? But she just looks so put-upon... "You must have met them. Might they have revealed anything about their plans, or who among them knows how to make those weapons? We know where their bases are. If those are all coming from the same place, we can stamp it out in one pass. If not, well, it's understandable; I don't imagine they were especially friendly..." She trails off.

"Two minutes, huh?" So much business. All business.

And all this gorgeous wilderness...

Lette reaches over and gently grabs the fishing line trailing into the water from Vuoksi's makeshift rod. "Maybe different bait..." Turning, she reaches into the tackle box — her recollection of the one her neighbors Willard and Chuck had used when da had sent the three of them to catch fish for a local festival. Pulling out a fat bloodworm, she stuffs it onto the hook and gives it a toss back into the water. "The rod's got some give, so the spacing of the rings can work to relieve tension on the line," she says, pointing to Willard's rod, so coveted by her as a child, resting now in the goddess's hands where a stick had been moments before.

She baits her own rod in turn. It's a small thing, and the reel sticks near the bottom of the turn. It's the only one she'd ever owned, though, and she loved it just the same. She grins and shrugs. "They'll bite. Maybe not right now, but..."

The part of fishing that not everyone gets: it's not the wait itself that's attractive so much as what you do with it. Some relax. Some contemplate serious matters. Lette, here and now, concentrated on their dreamscape. "...When the time is right."

Dreaming 15 for some rods, some bait, and, last and certainly not least, a few fish up ins. Let there be recreation~

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 1, 2013

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

To say that there was a look of smugness about the faun when it came time to retire from the night's festivities would be a vast understatement. He was practically bouncing into bed when all was said and done. He had promised a song and dance and by the gods he had given them one. A resounding success. A night to make his people and friends proud, such is all he had hoped for. He had been surprised at Lette joining him, but he had more than enough to drink by that point to not be so flustered by it as he might have been sober. Despite all the hardships come since meeting them, he considers himself beyond lucky to have met his new friends. One so special as Lette in particular. As he drifts to sleep, he does so with a smile as he think of them all.

~~~

And he wakes again, this time in familiar silk sheets that feel far more comforting than any others. For a brief moment he tries to sink deeper into them before he quickly regains his senses. He finds his resistance to the bed is easier this time around and he shifts and turns to escape it before he even registers her standing at the end of the bed. What puts him so on edge around her is perhaps how she appears so calm, almost inviting and friendly. Some may see her as such, but he cannot forget all the stories told of her. And that look in her eyes, one that hints of a malice he cannot begin to comprehend. Even he had been easily tricked by her appearance, but he will not let such a thing happen again. Arguably the largest threat one could ever face and it is mine to face here alone. Such thoughts will destroy him before she even opens her mouth though. Stand firm as your friends would.

Ignoring the strange feeling of the bed and the threads he feels under him, he slips out from underneath the sheets and onto his hooves. Mustering courage once more and beating back his fears, he moves around to stand in front of Spider but still keeps himself a good few paces away from her. "My song? So you see as much as that." He speaks calmly, almost as much as her, despite his increased heart rate. Her power must be growing, or did she see this much all along? "And the dream... I had expected you to have seen it also, if not at least know about it." The way she had spoken when he met her there. Looking back on it, it seemed more like the real thing than another phantom in that place.

Due to his suspicions, her question comes as no big surprise, but it still makes an ear flicker. He looks into those deceiving blue eyes of hers. "So what is it that you plan to do?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

A wave of dizziness isn't quite enough to pull Lo'el off his feet and back onto the waiting bed; heady, the rush of blood from his head causing stars to shimmer around his head- or was it that for the slightest of instants, his hindbrain had expected him to have more legs? "Oh yes, I see much," Spider jumps in before the faun can think too closely about what he feels. "And do you think your friends really would stand firm? Do you think they all share your... ignorant hatred of me and what I represent? They don't." Spider chuckles, tips of fangs gleaming in candlelight. "But that's hardly why I summoned you, though you are welcome for waiting until you went to sleep before I did. Now." Her eyes twinkle as, Lo'el having stood, she sits on the foot of the bed. "Come, no need to be foolishly stubborn. Sit." Waiting for him to refuse or not, she continues, "That prophecy is one I'd quite like to happen, yes? So. I, then, need to make as much of it come true as I can. Some hints in your future memories tell me I'm already on the right track but you? You're a loose end I need to fit into the proper pattern." Spider idly begins playing with a few feet of silk, weaving it between her fingers back and forth as she talks. "A choice, then, little faun. Your first choice is that you run. Help your small piece of the prophecy come true, cut off contact with your friends, and do that maddeningly passive thing you do where you run around and let the world happen to you instead of vice versa. I'll be kind. No more visits from me, and your friends stay safe from my fangs." She grins, displaying those teeth as her eyes harden. "The other choice is that you stay with them, or have them try to remove my presence again. They can't- but even if you try, I'll take back my pledge to not hurt them. Each and every one of your friends will be on the hunting list, and I'll make sure you're here to witness every single one." The last threat is delivered without any particular malice. "A fine choice, is it not, little faun?" She smirks. "Of course, if I get one or two of them here, you might be surprised at what happens, no? I've long since given up on my little project to see if you can be taught to be a predator, but some of your friends..." she lets that trail off into silence. "Or you could run."

---

"I know." Vuoksi says. "But that's one place I can't go. Almost the only one." She twitches the rod, and adds, "You killed them. But information doesn't flow from the dead to the living, not through me. Another part of the balance I have to hold up; there's no choice involved in the matter. Even if I knew, I couldn't say. So I usually don't even ask, to avoid temptation. This time wasn't different."

Lette begins meddling with the world, and she quickly finds resistance; Vuoksi smiles faintly and Lette can realize as she pushes that it's less the goddess beside her than her mind suffusing the entirety of the place she's in. Making changes is like trying to stir concrete, but with a slight sigh Vuoksi relents and the fae finds more ready clay to mold. A rod appears in hand, matched by a transformation in Vuoksi's; the surface of the river ripples with fish. "Not right now, no. This place is one of the few where I can think, especially when I don't catch anything. I'd just throw it back, anyway. A... friend of mine used to fish here too, but he-" she pauses. "-he isn't a very patient man. He has his own distractions from his cares." Vuoksi looks up at the cliffs, and for an instant there's a slight speck of motion up there flitting from rock to rock. A faint breeze blows across the river, and she adds, "Your parents are both alive still. If you wondered."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun does sit, for what difference will it make if he does or not? It is not as if he will be in less danger by standing. He leans forward and taps his index fingers against each other as she speaks, looking forward at nothing in particular. With that strange sense of dizziness having gone, he now just feels himself going cold. So now she is actually in his head. Seeing through his eyes and knowing all he thinks.

Even before she gets around to giving him his two choices, he has already set his mind on one. He had never wanted to run and he had thought it foolish to do so in the prophecy. But he had not imagined Spider's hold to grow on him so much as to see and know all he does. Neither had she sent any direct threats at him or his companions in that future, none that he could remember at least. And now she is doing just that. Running was foolish when it helped no-one but her, but now it is the only sure way to keep his friends safe.

"It seems-" he begins, sitting up and breaking from his state. "-that there is hardly a choice for me at all here." Does his leaving really play so great a part in her return to the world? Even if she somehow returns to the world, she was defeated once and very well can be again. Regardless, his friends die or become that which they will not want to be if he stays, but if he goes they stay safe to continue their fight and he is at least spared more visits such as this. "Honestly, I find myself caring less and less for whether you return to the world or not. If my leaving tips the scales in one way than the other, so be it, so long as they remain safe. I just want to be me again, nothing more or less. No strings or webs, or feelings that I am becoming some different type of monster entirely."

He turns his head to look at her, remarkably cool eyes meeting hers. "Fine then. You keep your word not to harm them, directly or indirectly." Good friends such as them should not be troubled because of him. "Then I will go. But I will go my own way and do what I will so long as it is away from Noah and the lands around it, yes? It makes little difference what I do when I go, only that I go. And if your cultists try to find me, I will not respond to them so meekly as I did in that prophecy."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

"We only have bits and pieces of evidence, sadly. Things he's said or done, Your Grace - or things he hasn't said that are telling, at that. That he hasn't gone to the temple and you've not heard from him at all; we were given to understand that such is very strange," Martin notes, before continuing. "The arrow. The hints some of the others have picked up; I know Dolan and Lette have noticed some oddities. We may have discussed much of this the last time the lot of us were in this place," recounts Martin, sounding slightly perturbed about not knowing more; yet there were only so many ways to know more on this subject, weren't there? "It is all circumstantial. In concert more than enough for concern, but circumstantial nonetheless."

Looking to Isit, he nods in agreement. "That does leave us with the need to prepare for the worst case. To prepare for if he is compromised, and perhaps even that the summit might now be a trap." He looks back towards the Huntress. "One way or another, our position is unstable without knowing more of the Lord Mayor's condition, even if we prepare for him having been turned. What options do we have to confirm his status? And if we do find something about him has been changed, can we afford to wait until the summit to try to do something about it? It is a conundrum."

"What would you suggest?" That is the question Martin asks out loud. But in his thoughts - which he assumes She can see easily here - there is another question. It's been said that you and Lord Roland were close. If he has been compromised - firstly, I am very sorry if that is the case. But I need to know what your will on the matter would be, Your Grace, that I may put it to action. If he's no longer the man he was: what would you have me do?

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I see. One-way. Why is that, exactly? Either way, could you give all our love to Alec, next time you see him?" Limits and prohibitions. Gods bound by rules.

"Sorry," she says, when Vuoksi reveals her intent was not actually to catch anything. "Presumptuous of me." Indeed, the realization that her efforts to 'redream' essentially required the goddess's cooperation gave it all a certain sense of pointlessness. "I just thought... I don't know, you just seem really... hectored. Overworked, I guess. And here I arrive and just want to talk business, as I'm sure everyone must, in your position. So I just figured," she shrugs, vainly hunting for a better phrase before settling on: "maybe try a change of pace, you know? But I don't know what I'm doing," she admits.

She fiddles idly with the rod, twirling line around the reel. "I guess there really isn't a way for you to have a break. Right? Best any of us can do is keep on trying to stop this war. Happy to hear you've got friends, at least." To be in so many places at once, be be many and yet have few must surely compound a sense of loneliness. She squints, following the goddess's gaze off into the cliffside. Something faint in the distance. Though there was little to be gained from struggling to change the environment, perhaps she can adapt herself, and extend her senses for a better look without moving per se.

"I'm glad to hear it," she says to the news of her parents. Her voice sounds distant from her own ears. "I encountered them just a week or so ago, but with everything changing so quickly, that could mean anything. And all things die, as you said... um, even gods and spirits? Like the Spider? How does that even work? Best I can figure is something like the void, but then to be absorbed by that would be something else, right? Ending, sure, but also becoming part of it. So then it grows. But not forever, right? Or else everything will be part of the void. And if the void's whole 'existence' is based on its apartness from life and reality, then wouldn't even the void vanish? Or... does living spirit somehow also spring from void?

"...Where do spirits come from, even?" A thought strikes: assuming they even come from anywhere. But surely one can't say spirits 'always are'?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"The faun wishes to bargain," Spider says, with cool amusement. "Well and good. There's always a choice, little one. For instance, you could commit suicide." With a slight toothy grin, the spirit adds, "After all, that would wreck the prophecy nicely, and wouldn't expose your friends to my continued interference. But then... could you be sure you would die, and not simply come to me? Or that, in the latter case, I'd feel bound to promises to someone I've made part of myself? Such a dilemma. But you do have that choice. Or you could trust your friends' ability to fight me. That's a bet that many have lost, but- a choice nonetheless." As the faun speaks, she chuckles. "Good that you don't care. My return is one of a small list of things I do care about. There isn't much I wouldn't sacrifice just to be able to breathe air and do something as simple as smell a flower again, little one. It's been a very- long time." After that brief interlude, Spider's face hardens slightly. "You are in a poor position to dicker. I will not cut you loose, since I need to be certain you're adhering to our bargain. And, given the prophecy, I must contact you at least once in the future directly. Past that, you don't really interest me. Do as you will." She makes a brushing-off gesture across her forearms, adding, "You'll stay near Noah, don't worry about that. Something will come up. It always does. Fate is not so easy to fight, especially when it has me in its corner."

---

Vuoksi grimaces. "As trite as this may sound, the reason I can't discuss such things- I cannot discuss that itself. Suffice it to say that there are barriers which must not be made permeable. Ever." Vuoksi clears her throat. "Overworked is a polite word for it. Proverbially, death always is, and will remain until there's nothing left to die, which I hardly want either. One... becomes used to never resting, honestly. But yes. All things die, though the meaning of death is different for spirits. Imagine a god loses all their worshipers, all memory of them is lost, none know their name, none pray to them. They become nothing. They are nothing. Then could not such a thing be said to die?" Vuoksi shrugs. "That is one way. There are others. You will excuse me if I don't list all the ways that have been attempted. Spider, now, that is not killing. All she has taken still... are, inside her. Unpleasant." She pauses, and then almost grudgingly says, "We all come from the void. Spirit and mortal alike. I make no claim as to whether we all return." Squint and probe as she may, she can't discern the movement on the far cliffs as anything other than what looks like a falcon.

---

Caria, looking up at the ceiling, "No. None of it proves a damnable thing. And I don't want to... move against him." She looks at Martin, and enunciates, "Not until we're sure. He's too important to a lot of people and this entire- area, to move before we're sure. I need to talk to him." She sighs. "If he won't- leave his palace... all there really is is to wait. Or to try to force or persuade him out here. He's been busy, I know that much, but so busy as to not come here?" Caria scowls once more. "If you have better ideas, consider yourself officially inspired by the goddess of scheming, because I'm in a difficult position. Your concerns are well taken about the summit, but... a trap for who? The sphinx? My cousin's get? You?" The goddess scowls again. "It's the Eagles behind it all. I can feel it in my bones. Nobody else that matters would be able to hide this well."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

He floated in darkness, surrounded by the nothing that was secretly everything. Iklist was with him, sheltering him against things whose nature he could only guess at remotely. They were, however, educated guesses, and likely correct to the best of his knowledge while laughably off to the worst. Such was the nature of this place. Such was the nature of all places.

The other was with him too, but further away, connected by a string that led into the infinite distance of this place. The other was more a part of him than Iklist would ever be, though he would sever that connection in an instant if he could manage it without injuring himself. Then, he knew, he would regret it. As much as he hated that shadow, it was him, and he knew it. To sever it would be to sever a part of himself, and if there was one lesson he had had drilled into him that stuck, it was that he should never cut off his nose to spite his face.

Oh so many noses had been cut off.

Deeper, he thought as the tugging at his mind became more and more insistent. He chose a direction in the place that had no directions, and that direction was somehow down. He moved without moving and took time where there was none, moving to a place that did not exist and was where he had been all along. An interminable instant later, he arrived in the throne room of the Royal Palace of the Mountain King.

There was an odd sensation then. Or rather, a lack of sensation, which was odd. Normally this place did not exist without him, and would flash into being upon his arrival. This time, that did not happen, for it already existed. It had changed, in fact, since his last time in this place. Blood stained the pillars and the floor, the immaculate murals had been chipped and defaced, an entire section of the wall had a hole in it as if some great force had decided that traditional doorways were a nuisance. Empty suits of armor stood at attention along the petitioner's carpet, their weapons gleaming in the light of the glowbulbs. Upon the dais, flanking the throne, stood a quartet of scarlet robes, trimmed in gold, hems worked in thread-of-adamantine runes. Their weapons did not gleam. They shone. The silver-blue, blade-tipped staffs of the Adamantine Corps stood perfectly still an inch above the floor; they would never let that stuff touch the floor, to do so would ruin the perfect stonework.

And upon the Steel Throne itself sat Ubas.

"Ubas," The shadow said. "Not just any scream. The scream that shattered our people, fractured them into nations and ruined what hope we had to become the dominant Empire. Fitting, really. A shame that the snake had to spoil the surprise. I would have loved to witness your internal monologue when you decided on that name."

Dolan stepped towards the throne, the scene wavering between his own vision of the throne room and Ubas's wrecked variation. "Would you rather I named you Qurik?"

Ubas scoffed. "Please. I should be Dolan. I'm the you that was supposed to be. You're more like him than I am. Weak. Useless. Uncommitted. You're actually starting to care about this trash you're travelling with! Going to fight the elf for the noble? Or maybe you'd like to share the goat's bed. I hear his kind are fit for the horse bitch."

"Do you have a point, or are you just going to be obscene?"

Ubas laughed. "What, not even a twitch? Fine, straight to business." He leaned forward in the chair, affecting a serious frown. "I'm here to help you."

"Help me what?" Dolan deadpanned. "Make this?" He gestured to the ruined throne room. "You're nearly two decades late for that. We. Failed."

"No. You failed. I, who should have been at the task, was left to rot in the back of that fragile little box you call a psyche. You weren't cut out for this task. You faffed about for so long that everything fell apart around you. You could never do what needed to be done."

"I am perfectly capable of performing my duties."

"Prove it. Kill that, that thing inside your head."

Dolan hesitated. He could feel Iklist tensing in his mind. "She is more useful to me alive."

"IT is digging ITS claws further into us every day and it will -- WILL -- kill us if you don't kill it first!" Ubas yelled, lurching to his feet. "You saw the vision, you know what it is, you have seen its kind before, you know how it feeds! You think you can leave the leech on your throat forever and not keel over and die?"

"You know as little about this as I do, and you know just how ignorant I have proven to be."

Ubas threw up his hands, then slumped down into the throne again. "Fine. You can be its victim. But I am here, and I am growing stronger. When you falter, I will be there to do what needs to be done. You can be the Ubas in the back of our mind, and I will be the Dolan that should be. Count on it." And he was gone. The throne room returned to its previous state of perfect emptiness.

Dolan strode towards the throne, and sat down on the steps of the dais. He would not worry about idle threats and taunts. He would forget his failed mission and its consequences. He would forget the person he was, and the person he was meant to be but left behind. He would forget the threats to his new friends -- yes, friends -- and to the being he now shared his life with. He would banish this place and float in the void, free to sleep his sleep and think no more.

The throne room remained, and so did Dolan.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin

An unequivocal answer. It wasn't unexpected, but it certainly complicated things more - he'd been mentally preparing himself for...things two weeks ago he'd not have ever considered. Of course Martin realized the logic in it - Roland at his best was certainly a true statesman, someone deserving of respect. If there was someone who could talk Feathershaft into not fighting, it'd be the Mayor. If only the Baron could be confident that Roland's talents would be used for good, anymore.

"Hm." He makes no other sound for a moment or two. "The Eagles have many plots, I expect," says Martin finally, "and they're responsible for his injury, but the question is what they expect him to do. The target could be anyone you've mentioned - or all. And the loss of any player now would destabilize everything." With a thoughtful grunt, Martin proceeds to speculate on plans aloud. "We may have an opportunity to speak to him before we depart Noah on other business. But if he has been compromised, telling him to go to your temple or otherwise attempt to contact You might be far too telling, Your Grace." He shoots Isit a knowing look. "Not that we couldn't put things in place beforehand to guard against his having been turned - I have a few moves in mind - but that'd take time that may or may not exist. Though we certainly have time for some of those things."

He pauses, seeming unsure. "Would that Lette or Dolan were here, that I could ask if it's possible, but - you said there were wards. Is there some way that those around the 'palace' might be suppressed long enough for there to be some confirmation of what's been done to him? That could do the trick without being so obvious." And then Martin grins. "And we do have information on the Eagles. So if we can arrange something to deal with them, perhaps Roland might be saved even if he has been...compromised."

If there's a way that Martin can transmit his mental image of the map Lo'el drew...that'd be great.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"From there, huh?" Lette shook her head. "I'm not up to describing what I've experienced, but it didn't feel much like a beginning. But... maybe that's my own limitation talking. Life is just such a marvelous patchwork of limits." A manic guffaw escapes. Limitations and processes. Nothing is what it seems, because what it seems is a product not of the senses exactly, but of the mind, which imposes its rigid categories on everything. Alive or dead, all 'things' are but processes, never truly resolving into anything so comprehensible as an 'object' save for in the realm of ideas and dreams — themselves procedural as well, resting on the very souls giving them the properties they then describe as 'form.'

Another giggle. This is starting to sound like da did before folks would start to make threatening gestures with tavern darts.

She sighs, flopping back on the pier, staring up at the sky for a few seconds. "And here we all are looking for meaning in that mess." She strums her dream-lyre absently. Music at least makes sense to her. While there's no doubt she can apply the same deconstructive madness to her understanding of music, Lette can't seem to bring herself to dwell on it. Another limitation, perhaps. Stop it.

Sitting up, Lette seems strangely energetic. "So, is that your friend way over yonder?" she asks, indicating the avian-looking whatnot. "Can I meet him?" Hanging out with a bird sounds far and away preferable to contemplating the contents of Spider's stomach.

• Locked thread